Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synth One crashes when used as Audiobus app

iPad Pro 2018, 246gig version, 200gig free. Clean boot. Have tried running synth one first but it still all bugs out and synth one crashes when added as an app. Is this an issue just for me or a known problem. Searches reveal a problem in 2019 but nothing recently.

Comments

• @netizensmith said:
    iPad Pro 2018, 246gig version, 200gig free. Clean boot. Have tried running synth one first but it still all bugs out and synth one crashes when added as an app. Is this an issue just for me or a known problem. Searches reveal a problem in 2019 but nothing recently.

What OS version?

It launches fine for me in iOS 13.7 on my Ipad Gen 6 with the latest Audiobus. I am launching it from inside Audiobus with not problem.

• @espiegel123 said:

@netizensmith said:

What OS version?

It launches fine for me in iOS 13.7 on my Ipad Gen 6 with the latest Audiobus. I am launching it from inside Audiobus with not problem.

Works for me in iPadOS 14.3 as well. Bit of a bumpy start due to needing to allow network access. But, force-quit AudioBus and Synth One, then no problem starting Synth One from within AudioBus. Incidentally, I've found that it's best to start apps that support AB3 from within AB3. That way, they "know" they're connected to AB. If they are started stand-alone first, they don't hook up correctly.

• 14.3. Synth one completely unstable. Keeps locking restarting crashing etc.

• @uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@netizensmith said:

What OS version?

Works for me in iPadOS 14.3 as well. Bit of a bumpy start due to needing to allow network access. But, force-quit AudioBus and Synth One, then no problem starting Synth One from within AudioBus. Incidentally, I've found that it's best to start apps that support AB3 from within AB3. That way, they "know" they're connected to AB. If they are started stand-alone first, they don't hook up correctly.

That's odd. My experience and regular practice is exactly the opposite. I always start standalone apps first, then add them to Audiobus now. Didn't used to have to do this, but I do now. Many apps such as BM3 will not even start in AB unless you start them first. Maybe it's different on iOS 13.7.

• @wim said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@netizensmith said:

What OS version?

That's odd. My experience and regular practice is exactly the opposite. I always start standalone apps first, then add them to Audiobus now. Didn't used to have to do this, but I do now. Many apps such as BM3 will not even start in AB unless you start them first. Maybe it's different on iOS 13.7.

@wim: there is a lot of variability. Some apps are better programmed than others with respect to integrating Audiobus. Some apps launch from AB3 great. Setups with those apps are great because you only need to is open your AB3 setup document and you are good to go.

Some apps, like Beatmaker 3, seem not to have implemented AB3 integration well -- or don't implement it at all, in which case opening them first is best.

I find that a little trial-and-error is needed. I try launching from AB3 first to see if that works with the app.

The downside to having IAA apps launched from a host is that it increases the likelihood of zombies. Double-tapping the home button and tossing apps that were launched from the host sometimes removes them from the recent apps list without actually killing that instantiated app as someone documented a few weeks ago.

• @wim said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@netizensmith said:

What OS version?

I tried to emphasize the distinction between apps that support AB3 and ordinary IAAs. For example, Music Studio. Started stand-alone, it sees all MIDI sources, started from AB, it is locked to AB MIDI. I'd agree with you for ordinary IAAs; often they won't start at all from AB.

• @uncledave said:

@wim said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@netizensmith said:

What OS version?

I tried to emphasize the distinction between apps that support AB3 and ordinary IAAs. For example, Music Studio. Started stand-alone, it sees all MIDI sources, started from AB, it is locked to AB MIDI. I'd agree with you for ordinary IAAs; often they won't start at all from AB.

I suppose it depends on what means by "supports AB3. There are plenty of apps that technically support AB3 (I.e. compiled with support for AB3) but still don't do well launched by AB. Trial and error is the only way to know in my experience.

• @espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

@wim said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@netizensmith said:

What OS version?

I suppose it depends on what means by "supports AB3. There are plenty of apps that technically support AB3 (I.e. compiled with support for AB3) but still don't do well launched by AB. Trial and error is the only way to know in my experience.

Agreed. I guess it depends how thoroughly they interface with the various AB features (audio, AB MIDI, state saving). I made a quick list of non-AU apps, and found they almost all say they include AB support, although some haven't been updated in years, so are likely behind.

• @uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@uncledave said:

@wim said:

@uncledave said:

@espiegel123 said:

@netizensmith said:

What OS version?

Agreed. I guess it depends how thoroughly they interface with the various AB features (audio, AB MIDI, state saving). I made a quick list of non-AU apps, and found they almost all say they include AB support, although some haven't been updated in years, so are likely behind.

Auria Pro is an example of an app compiled with the latest AB version that does better when launched before being added to AB3.