Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Radioshack is back!

edited January 2021 in Other

I don’t know if theyll make instruments, but they are back in some degree!

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/parts

Comments

• edited January 2021

Awesome, I have fond memories going in there as a kid. I never really bought anything, I mean outside of the occasional pair of headphones and I think a discman once, but just looking around was awesome.

I did a little digging cause I figured it was a buy out, and it is - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioShack#Retail_Ecommerce_Ventures_(REV) but hey, that's ok! Keep the name alive, love it.

• Oh no! Not Lance Armstrong again.

• I figured it was a buy out, they are so legendary I’m not surprised someone wanted to keep ‘em alive...i went there often from the 80s up until the day they locked the doors

• It’s a shame they closed their physical stores - it used to be great to just go to a store and be able to buy some of the things there that are now just impossible to get anywhere but online.

• If you ever enjoyed paging through their catalog back in the day, here's an archive:

https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/index.htm#main_catalogs

• They were called Tandy in the UK but a lot of the stuff was marked up Radio Shack - Worldwide Supermarket of Sound!

They were responsible for me getting into synths and computers. I couldn't afford either but the local shop was so empty they let a group play on all their gear after school.

• @Jocphone said:
    They were called Tandy in the UK but a lot of the stuff was marked up Radio Shack - Worldwide Supermarket of Sound!

They were responsible for me getting into synths and computers. I couldn't afford either but the local shop was so empty they let a group play on all their gear after school.

Did they change to Maplins after that? Another handy store to close its doors. I’m pretty sure Peter Jones from Dragons Den was buying them up for an online store.
    Still a shame though as you could always nip in there for a lead or an adapter. There’s nothing like that anymore.

• @LeeB said:

@Jocphone said:
    They were called Tandy in the UK but a lot of the stuff was marked up Radio Shack - Worldwide Supermarket of Sound!

Did they change to Maplins after that? Another handy store to close its doors. I’m pretty sure Peter Jones from Dragons Den was buying them up for an online store.
    Still a shame though as you could always nip in there for a lead or an adapter. There’s nothing like that anymore.

I'm pretty sure Maplin were a separate entity.

Always nice to pop into Tandy or Maplin to pay three to four times the proper price of a simple lead :smile:

• It never went away as a .com.

It's the brick and mortar stores that I miss so much!

Be sure to get your T-shirts, kids!

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/t-shirts

• Might have to get one of these. They have hoodies too!

• @Jocphone said:

@LeeB said:

@Jocphone said:

I'm pretty sure Maplin were a separate entity.

Always nice to pop into Tandy or Maplin to pay three to four times the proper price of a simple lead :smile:

I don’t remember it being that bad, but when needs must..

• AFAIK Tandy was always the parent company of Radio Shack. The old branding included the tag line ‘A Tandy Corporation’. Anyone who has worked in leather crafting would also be familiar with Tandy, a major supplier of leatherwork tools & supplies.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Might have to get one of these. They have hoodies too!

Oh man does this bring back memories... The Original CoCo was my first computer.. and the CoCo 3 was my second :)

• Oh wow, the “battery club”! Talk about a trip down memory lane!

I remember back in the early 80’s, my buddies and I were some of their most regular customers.

• edited January 2021

I spent many, MANY hours in Radio Shack shopping for all the things I could never get anywhere else - wall wart power adapters, audio adapters (RCA to stereo 1/4", etc.), soldering gear, electrical parts....

Hell, I wouldn't even know where to go to get that stuff now (online obviously, but in a pinch....)

To be fair, though - as nostalgic as I get for Radio Shack, I was always one of 3 people in any given shop. Myself, the person working, and MAYBE one other dude slinking around. I think I even applied for a job at a Radio Shack, once. I asked if I could borrow a pen to fill out the application, and the manager gave me a hard look and said something like "If you don't have your own pen, you must not want the job that bad" or some such nonsense.

I was 16 and doing it because my mother insisted. Of course I didn't want the job!

:wink:

Oh Radio Shack - good times.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I spent many, MANY hours in Radio Shack shopping for all the things I could never get anywhere else - wall wart power adapters, audio adapters (RCA to stereo 1/4", etc.), soldering gear, electrical parts....

Hell, I wouldn't even know where to go to get that stuff now (online obviously, but in a pinch....)

To be fair, though - as nostalgic as I get for Radio Shack, I was always one of 3 people in any given shop. Myself, the person working, and MAYBE one other dude slinking around. I think I even applied for a job at a Radio Shack, once. I asked if I could borrow a pen to fill out the application, and the manager gave me a hard look and said something like "If you don't have your own pen, you must not want the job that bad" or some such nonsense.

I was 16 and doing it because my mother insisted. Of course I didn't want the job!

:wink:

Oh Radio Shack - good times.

If you brought in your own application form you could have been manager!

• Was also the easiest place to get replacement tubes back in the day. And who doesn't need a Weather Cube or a speaker that flashes lights to the music or an alligator (read: roach) clip?

• Talking about Maplin, they’re back, online: https://www.maplin.co.uk/

• @jblock said:
    If you ever enjoyed paging through their catalog back in the day, here's an archive:

https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/index.htm#main_catalogs

Thanks!
    I used to have that on an old pc that I no longer have.
    It is great to have it again.

• Some of the fondest memories of my youth are of Radio Shack.
    I got so many great things there: 100 in 1 Electronic Projects Kit, those little individual projects kits that came in the red plastic cases that served as the circuit board, so many components...
    Hell, I even bought Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World there!
    Up until 5 or 6 years ago, there was a brick and mortar RatShack 2 minutes from my house. I was always in there buying plugs, jacks, cable ( I found making patch cables to be very calming)
    One day, a clerk in his twenties told me, “It’s so cool that you come in here and buy things to make your own stuff. No one else ever does”
    I thanked him, and successfully resisted the urge to say, “Kid, back in the day, lots of us came into Radio Shack for that purpose”

• edited January 2021

@Lady_App_titude said:
    Might have to get one of these. They have hoodies too!

That is awesome. On the back, there should be a picture of the cassette drive.

EDIT: $34.99 for a T-shirt?!!! I’ll pass.

• The people who ran the local one just a couple blocks from where I grew up lived across the street from me. Jimmy and Jerry were their kids.

I bought this album there...

And a couple sierra games too. Police Quest 2 and Kings Quest 4. Ahhh precious nostalgia.

• edited January 2021

If you miss the sound of the old Realistic Concertmate MG-1 Moog, you can get the Cherry Audio Surrealistic MG-1 for FREE (desktop app):

https://cherryaudio.com/instruments/surrealistic-mg-1-plus

• @Lady_App_titude said:

If you miss the sound of the old Realistic Concertmate MG-1 Moog, you can get the Cherry Audio Surrealistic MG-1 for FREE (desktop app):

I did a little super quick demo exploring the polyphonic capabilities..

https://chirb.it/B6P101

• I noticed that the other day, they’re still selling components too. I’d be thrilled if they decide to get a few physical locations up again

• My understanding is that someone bought the rights to the brand name rather actually re-launching the company.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

I did a little super quick demo exploring the polyphonic capabilities..

https://chirb.it/B6P101

I like it!!

• I'm sure it'll be using the "Radio-Shack" name but I'd imagine it being an online-only entity. Home\Consumer Electronics hardly have a physical retail market and they've folded at least twice? The thing about "RatShacks" wasn't that you'd buy a TV or Computer, it's that you could walk into one and get any cable/adapter ya needed last minute and at the better ones, straight up electronic parts like resistors and switches. In most places, there is now absolutely nowhere to buy these sort of things but online.

@Lady_App_titude (name pun rimshot points). Nice find! Now I have to remember this long enough to buy it for my brother for next Xmas. He got me a PONG t-shirt.

• @boberto said:
    The thing about "RatShacks" wasn't that you'd buy a TV or Computer, it's that you could walk into one and get any cable/adapter ya needed last minute and at the better ones, straight up electronic parts like resistors and switches. In most places, there is now absolutely nowhere to buy these sort of things but online.

That’s exactly what I think when I think of Radio Shack - missing a cable or component? Just drive to your nearest RS and you’ll be driving home with whatever you went there for.

• That catalog link is a gold mine. #ShackIsBackJack