Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Floating Beyond Measurement - Ambient Track

Howdy everyone:

Today was a very good day in Drambo. I decided to try a little experiment designed around constraints. I wanted to see how far I could take a 4 Track composition inside of Drambo and make something layered, textured and with a lot of movement in an ambient space.

So the following Track represents this experiment in it's entirety. So what did I do, you might ask.

Go ahead. Ask. :smile:

Well, I brought Gauss in to the equation. This allowed me to record my foundational loops and still allowed me to construct additional sounds atop these foundational loops by leaving the Monitor ON within the instances of Gauss.

I then decided to go all in on Randomness, Chance, Humanness and a Mixer per Track. Everything was sounding pretty nice, but I decided to add a 5th instance of Gauss to the Master Track, which I recorded for 45 seconds, and dropped to 50% Speed and then added a Mixer to the Master, so I could control the main part of the track to the slower part of the track. Needless to say, things became a little mesmerizing to my ears by doing this.

Ultimately I mapped all of my Mutes, Mixers, Chance and Volume knobs to my Midi Mixer and recorded the performance as best as I could based on the feeling it was giving me while it played back.

It was a worthwhile exploration and journey that I allowed myself to go on today, and I feel a little bit closer to the power and flexibility that Drambo gives us as musicians and sound designers.

Anyhoo, I figured I'd provide a little background on the piece...so I truly thank you for your time today and always.

Have a blessed day everyone. I hope the piece provides some comfort and relaxation to you.

Enjoy:

Cheers,
-echo opera

Comments

• Thank you for sharing ! Really beautiful. both music and work flow are Very inspiring.

• @JanKun thanks for giving it a read and listen. Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it. šŸ™šŸ¼

• Fantastic track. I love Drambo, although for my experimental ambient style I didn't have the patience to walk past its apparent biasing on very sequenced patterns. While your ways around it show really creative experimentation and the result is amazing, I would have said it's definitely something out of Wotja if I wouldn't have seen the video :)) Keep on the great work!

• @Aletheia Many thanks for giving it a watch and thanks for the comments. I'm going to try and record a little setup video to walk users through how I created the above track.

• NOTE: There's still no HUMOR font.
    I'm boycotting Drambo. Drambo, Drambo, Drambo... what about:

1. Electribe Wave
    2. Beatmaker 3
    3. Koala (needs AUv3 hosting, right?)
    4. or that really basic app from Andrew Huang?

Everyone needs to be challenged sometimes. Good luck.
    What's the worst app possible that can produce something great?

Drambo. Just say no. I want to prove myself and not the developer.

• @McD said:
    NOTE: There's still no HUMOR font.
    I'm boycotting Drambo. Drambo, Drambo, Drambo... what about:

1. Electribe Wave
    2. Beatmaker 3
    3. Koala (needs AUv3 hosting, right?)
    4. or that really basic app from Andrew Huang?

Everyone needs to be challenged sometimes. Good luck.
    What's the worst app possible that can produce something great?

Drambo. Just say no. I want to prove myself and not the developer.

• @echoopera said:

HINT: I don't own the Andrew Huang app (yet). His videos are so creative. He makes music
    from the most basic sources just to prove we don't really need the expensive toys. We
    need to use our ears more.

• @McD said:

@echoopera said:

HINT: I don't own the Andrew Huang app (yet). His videos are so creative. He makes music
    from the most basic sources just to prove we don't really need the expensive toys. We
    need to use our ears more.

Hear hear! (pun intended)

• @echoopera Beautiful sounds as usual! I love these ambient pieces!

• @Intrepolicious many thanks.

I also put together a little how to video of how i constructed the track here:

• Cool, thanks.
    Noted that you adjust Gauss decay time to fairly long in the beginning of the video, but that does not have any effect when sequencer is set to Off.

• edited January 2021

Gauss always plays in an endless loop. It never stops playing.

• From the manual on VCA attack and decay knobs: "The VCA envelope is only used when the sequencer is set to TRIG mode. Each time the sequencer advances the envelope is triggered."

• edited January 2021

Ah. Good to know. šŸ‘ŠšŸ¼ā„¢ļø Thanks for letting everyone know.

I wish YouTube allowed you to re-upload vids for such occasions. Ho hum šŸ™ƒ

• McDMcD
    edited January 2021

Drambo is being used in standalone mode to allow the use of external AUv3 apps as sound sources. So, I assume the screen recording is the definitive final product. I think Drambo has a sampler module that can be used to generate a wave file product. Can someone explain that additional option since audio embedded in a video is close to lost? I saw how to extract audio from video but can't recall the correct app for that extra step.

I could see using Drambo for the MIDI tracks and doing most of the other audio work with AUv3's in AUM but the similarities in the final work would be very close. Setting up LFO's in AUM is a bit more complex but it can be done pretty quickly.

I like to see the top artists detail their workflows in action. It makes something hidden seem
    attainable. Thanks for sharing.

• edited January 2021

@McD when you say you need to use Audio Tracks. How long would those tracks need to be?

Are you wanting to lay them out like you would in a traditional DAW one after the other in the time line. Or are you wanting to use Clips of Audio like one would in Live or BitWig?

• @echoopera said:
    @McD when you say you need to use Audio Tracks. How long would those tracks need to be?

I'm just imagining using Drambo alone like you demo'ed and wondering how I'd make an audio file for SoundCloud of the session. I'm not asking for Drambo to have audio tracks... just a way to save the work. I think the sampler is the answer and has a record button.

• This is very cool. Really appreciate the walkthrough of your setup workflow. Thanks @echoopera !

• @McD said:

@echoopera said:

I'm just imagining using Drambo alone like you demo'ed and wondering how I'd make an audio file for SoundCloud of the session. I'm not asking for Drambo to have audio tracks... just a way to save the work. I think the sampler is the answer and has a record button.

Gotcha. I just use AudioShare to upload to SoundCloud.

@scadet glad it was helpful. Thanks for watching šŸ‘ŠšŸ¼ā„¢ļø

• McDMcD
    edited January 2021

@echoopera said:
    Thanks for watching šŸ‘ŠšŸ¼ā„¢ļø

Do you think you'll do a project using the "Flip Sampler" and share your opinion on it's unique contributions to iPad/Iphone music makers? At $10, I could benefit from seeing what you can produce with it.

Koala would be cool too... I do have it already.