Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ideas wanted: Amanda Gorman speech onto a synchronized beat

I was just blown away by the inaugural poet Amanda Gorman. For my own personal use I would love to experiment with her speech. I used Tube AU to get the audio for it, trimmed it down and now I have an awesome 5 minute file of her speech. Even though there was a cadence it obviously isn't in a specific time signature.

I AudioTuned it and that was a lot of fun even with the artifacts it created!

Apart from editing the speech in GarageBand or something manually is there an app that can stretch or morph the speech onto a beat that I define? For example I'd love to get a 120 bpm (that is about as fast as she is speaking) Patterning 2 beat going, add some World Synth duduk chords and just have some fun. But the limiting factor is it just strays too often from the actual beat.

I'm new at this audio mangling but thought it was a super cool possible idea. For anyone else that wants the raw audio, I put it here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10v7qWjl6KG2axiQF2z7gmlorRtyUQd4w?usp=sharing

Comments

• She stole the show for me too, and I’m sure many great minds will be thinking alike, mine included :) - her performance reminded me of Kay Tempest a little as well...

I’d probably use the time morph thing in Auria, you can drop a marker on a point in time and then drag that to where you want it to land. I think it’s part of the time stretch algo library they’ve used... nice one for the file, I might give it a go myself now you’ve removed the major obstacle for us all :)

• This is super. Trial By Combat

• I think we can almost count on WTFBrahh to do a remix on it at some point...

This one is awesome as well, love the beat on it :)

• Depends on what you’re trying to achieve.

If you want the entire 5 min. Ish audio synced to a beat I would want to use Logic or live on desktop. They have tools that make that relatively easy as you can drag individual syllables around to snap to the beat. You can even quantise the audio and cut it to fit your beat. Or even make the tempo track follow the natural cadence.

On iOS I’d just take snippets and use something like sEGments to slice the audio and play it back via MIDI on the beat. I wouldn’t want to tackle the full 5 mins file you have on iOS.

• edited January 2021

This is awesome, thanks for the app ideas. I have Blocs Wave, though it has sat unused for some years now. Maybe I'll do some mangling and get my head back around Samplr with a 30 second snippet. I do hope, @Krupa, that you'll share whatever you create back in this thread!

@Samu @gsm909 exactly the kind of thing that was the inspiration for this line of thinking. I was hoping to do something in IOS but it seems like at a minimum I'd need to do it in Logic (which I don't have, nor the skills/time to learn it).

edit: and for those who haven't seen the video already:

• I had the same idea immediately. Go for it.

• What @klownshed said. That would be my first move too, cut out interesting quotes. Then I'd try to timestretch them. Cubasis 3 and Auditor do timestretching. Personally, if I were doing a lot of stretching like this I'd reach for Ableton Live and its solid warp engine.

• edited January 2021

@gsm909 said:
    This is super. Trial By Combat

Powerful.. wow..

Edit... Nah.. Genius..

• edited January 2021

@fprintf
    Thanks for sharing the file. That was nice of you. sEGments can time and pitch stretch but I think the max audio length is a lot shorter, not sure exactly what it is, but... it’s a great app.

sEGments
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/segments-by-elliott-garage/id1513990681

Maybe an audio editor like Auditor or Twisted Wave Audio Editor.

Beatmaker 3 could do the trick.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @fprintf
    Thanks for sharing the file. That was nice of you. sEGments can time and pitch stretch but I think the max audio length is a lot shorter, not sure exactly what it is, but... it’s a great app.

sEGments
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/segments-by-elliott-garage/id1513990681

Maybe an audio editor like Auditor or Twisted Wave Audio Editor.

Beatmaker 3 could do the trick.

Another vote for BM3. If i had the time I’d tackle this worthy project in BM3.

• Maybe audio stretch or audio stretch lite. The lite just had an update, and it made me think of this...

• I was inspired by this discussion, so I imported the WAV file into CB3 to make a track (Thank you fprintf!!). I messed around with this for a couple days, adding a bunch of synths etc. I did not want to modify Amanda Gordon's voice or delivery in any way-- I like her delivery too much to muck it up. I then heard a piece on NPR about the old hymn "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and I decided to use that as a background instead. So, this is a pretty traditional piece- I ended recording this on my PC, and used my Motif for piano, bass and drums. I used the Hammond BX-3 app on my iPad for the organ. I hope that you like it. Also, I welcome any comments or criticisms::

• @klownshed said:
    Depends on what you’re trying to achieve.

If you want the entire 5 min. Ish audio synced to a beat I would want to use Logic or live on desktop. They have tools that make that relatively easy as you can drag individual syllables around to snap to the beat. You can even quantise the audio and cut it to fit your beat. Or even make the tempo track follow the natural cadence.

On iOS I’d just take snippets and use something like sEGments to slice the audio and play it back via MIDI on the beat. I wouldn’t want to tackle the full 5 mins file you have on iOS.

+1 to all of it.

If you do want to tackle the whole thing on iOS, consider using, say, 5 different instances of something like Segments. First, slice the source into roughly 1 minute files. Then, load each file into its own instance of Segments. That way you can still use the UI to get granular enough with the slicing. Then just work on each 1 minute section in order to build out the tune. If you don't want to mess with the source audio too much (time stretching) build it out in app that supports tempo changes and tap out her tempo for each section.

• I think you could do this in Auria with a lot of cutting audio in to syllables then time stretch/compand so the cuts fall on beat measures. A lot of work but possible

• @piano39 Really well done! I have no advice or critiques but just wanted to say I really liked it. I really like your playing also, I'm always impressed when folks can use all 10 fingers and their feet like you just did (I'm a perpetual beginner guitarist).