Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - iMovie 'not enough space' glitch?

I have occassionally had a weird problem with iMovie where it will not let me save a movie I made to photos because it says there is not enough space left on the device. I then have to delete some photos before it will let me save. This despite the face that my device has 100GB of space left. This is super annoying, anyone have any ideas how to solve this? I didn't find a solution online. Cheers.

I also just had another weird problem where I saved an imovie to photos but some of the colours in the movie in photos are quite strange, and don't look as they should. Any thoughts? 🤷‍♂️

Comments

• @Gavinski If you've used your storage fairly intensively, the available space could be too fragmented for iMovie to save the video as it wishes.

The color problem sounds like a bit length inconsistency. So, something to do with the video format. You'd need to get the file outside the iOS "walled garden" to know if it's really corrupted.

• @uncledave said:
    @Gavinski If you've used your storage fairly intensively, the available space could be too fragmented for iMovie to save the video as it wishes.

The color problem sounds like a bit length inconsistency. So, something to do with the video format. You'd need to get the file outside the iOS "walled garden" to know if it's really corrupted.

Thnx Dave, you always seem to be the man of the hour with these kind of questions. Is there a way to ‘unfragment’ that space?

• @Gavinski said:

@uncledave said:
    @Gavinski If you've used your storage fairly intensively, the available space could be too fragmented for iMovie to save the video as it wishes.

Thnx Dave, you always seem to be the man of the hour with these kind of questions. Is there a way to ‘unfragment’ that space?

Assuming that's it, the answer is "no". It's just the way the filesystem and flash storage work.

• Here is a pic of the movie after exporting from imovie. Looks fine in imovie itself. I tried twice, same prob each time - these aparillo sliders should not look tartan lol

Does this look like the bit length prob you mentioned? If the file keeps corrupting on export is there any way to fix it?

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

LumaFusion. You won’t regret it.

• @wim said:
    LumaFusion. You won’t regret it.

Ive been thinking of switching from iMovie, which annoys me on a few levels. This vid is already done though, so Aparillo may just have to be tartan this time, to hell with it 😛

• @Gavinski said:
    Here is a pic of the movie after exporting from imovie. Looks fine in imovie itself. I tried twice, same prob each time - these aparillo sliders should not look tartan lol

Does this look like the bit length prob you mentioned? If the file keeps corrupting on export is there any way to fix it?

Not really, since it only affects certain regions. Hard to say what that might be. Are those sliders somehow gradient in appearance? Do they look "rounded"? iMovie may be dropping the ball on the brightest color.

• What does 'rounded' mean in this context @uncledave? The sliders normally look slightly textured, I will say

• Is there any danger I woild still get these 'not enough space' messages when using luma fusion despite having hundred gig left? @wim

• Krupa suggested it might be resolution. I had exported at 720, which is usually fine, but I redid it at 1080p and it is a lot better, if still not perfect. Thnx Chris! @krupa

• @Gavinski said:
    Krupa suggested it might be resolution. I had exported at 720, which is usually fine, but I redid it at 1080p and it is a lot better, if still not perfect. Thnx Chris! @krupa

Does iMovie give options for the output quality/data rate? The codecs that are used can get tripped up by subtle texture and color transitions when the data rate is not high enough.

• edited January 2021

It has never asked me to chose these things when exporting, I'll maybe take a look at settings, cheers Ed

• I think it was mainly just the resolution reduction on the fine/high contrast details was making the interpolation generate interesting colours and interference patterns, and then possibly the compression adding a bit more crunch to it all after that... there’s not many options in iMovie by the looks of it...

• @Gavinski said:
    Is there any danger I woild still get these 'not enough space' messages when using luma fusion despite having hundred gig left? @wim

I can't say for sure, but I've never run into them, even when editing 90 minute videos with titles and transitions, working on an Air 2 with about 60gb left.

Luma fusion has good integration with external devices, which has saved me tons of hassle. I just keep one or two current projects on the iPad, then archive the rest to an external drive. I keep meaning to check if it's possible to actually edit a project directly on external storage. I somehow doubt it.

You've got a Mac, right? Have you considered shipping the project over to iMovie on the Mac? I've never tried it, but that seems like it might get you somewhere.

• @Gavinski said:
    It has never asked me to chose these things when exporting, I'll maybe take a look at settings, cheers Ed

Look to see if there is a way to customize the settings (there is on the desktop version). The default settings probably optimize for size which can be to the detriment of low-contrast backgrounds or fine details.

• @Gavinski said:
    @espiegel123 @wim OK thanks guys

I just had a quick look. It doesn't look like iMovie gives you any control over the settings other than the image size (which will have some impact, as you have seen on its ability to deal with fine details). I am pretty sure that desktop version offers more granular control over the settings. In most cases, the settings are probably fine. I think you have found a case that challenges the codec at the quality setting iMovies uses.