Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiofuse alternatives?

2»

Comments

• @arktek, progress of sorts...

The only possible way having tried all combinations of 18i20 or Audiofuse being the source, and trying all the clock speeds and options I've actually managed to get the 18i20 and Audiofuse to both show as locked.

I needed to use two ADAT cables, in to out, out to in. Then set the digital mode to "Dual ADAT" on the 18i20. On the 18i20 also set the clock to 48khz and internal. On the Audiofuse set the clock to external and both clock in and clock out mode to ADAT. Then in the MAC midi config set the audiofuse to ADAT.

So finally they both show lock. BUT!!!!

For the life of me nothing is going into the 18i20 ADAT channels! I tried connecting the Audiofuse back up to the iPAD and in AUM tried to output to all of the 14 channels. NOTHING!

There is no option in the Audiofuse software to select the ADAT outs.

So either we are both missing something or ADAT out just does not work!

I have a ticket open with Arturia but heard bugger all back :-(

So it's back to 2 channel output, it's OK but is a bloody mystery!!!!

• They replied to the first problem ie the sync which now seems to be working and looks like I did it how they suggested ....

To have your Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 slaved to the AudioFuse, you need to:

On the AudioFuse side:

1. Connect your AudioFuse to your computer

2. From the AFCC, Set the sample rate to 48000Hz (or another sample rate)

3. And set the Digital Input to ADAT

Then on the Scarlett side:

1. Connect your ADAT Out from the Scarlett 18i20 to the ADAT In on the AudioFuse.

2. Make sure the Sample Rate of the Audiofuse matches the Sample Rate of the Scarlett 18i20.

3. Set the Clock Source to ADAT.

Then, you should be all set and ready to go.

The following video shows how to use the ADAT inputs:

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    Best regards,
    Gabriela - Arturia Support

• edited January 2021

@NimboStratus Out of curiosity, are you able to send audio from the 18i20 to the AudioFuse?

Second:
    This is what AUM shows me as outputs...

It's got me seriously intrigued as from what I can understand it's just a matter of plugging in the right way and ensuring all the settings are correct.

Not sure what you mean by not being able to select ADAT outs in the Arturia software?

• I think I understand your point about output attenuation in the control panel.
    My first question about whether you are receiving audio at the iPad end when sending from the Focusrite is still relevant though. If this is the case then the ADAT connection is working if not, then there is something else going on.

• @arktek said:
    @NimboStratus I've had an AudioFuse for 2 years now. Has been faultless in operation. The built in 3 port USB hub is a bit of a winner. I can plug in external drives into this for access on the iPad as well as USB midi connections.

same here, really enjoying , also you can use it as an emergency mixer. Highly recommend saving and buying this.
    only thing i miss is the loopback feature, which came in later model.

• There seems to be no examples of how to set up ADAT out. I guess it should be a simple as ADAT IN but doesn't seem to be. I have replied to the Arturia email explaining that the lock is working but ADAT OUT isn't!

According to the Audiofuse manual the outputs 7-14 are the ADAT, tried all of them - nothing.

Will try and see if ADAT 18i20 --> Audiofuse is working tonight and report back.

• edited January 2021

@NimboStratus
    It's weird that they've left that out of the manuals. I went looking and they don't really explain it very well and that reply you received from their support just referred to the ADAT in connection which is only half of the equation.
    I found an issue related to the 8 pre on their forums, but the option they were discussing does not exist with the AudioFuse.

I know I seem to be coming up with random questions (but, this just helps to clarify where you are at with this):

With all the ADAT outputs available are you still able to record something via one of the line ins (eg a mic or inst input)?

I'm asking this because you didn't mention if you had verified the current setup of the AudioFuse in the Audio/MIDI settings app in the Mac. As I mentioned earlier I had noticed that the AudioFuse had not been set up correctly in the software even though it looked correct. It was only when I opened up Logic with the AudioFuse plugged in that I discovered that it wasn't showing up in the Logic preferences. The ADAT channels were showing up in AUM. The answer was that the AudioFuse was not working from the Internal clock as you would expect, but was set up for using WordClock.
    Using the Audio/MIDI app in the Mac to change the clock source settings of the AudioFuse to internal appeared to get things working correctly after that. It at least appeared as it should in Logic and I had regained the ability to use the Mic inputs again when plugged into the iPad (much to my relief).

There was an update to the Control Center Software available today as well, but I don't know what difference that has made.

I look forward to seeing what your discoveries are.

• edited January 2021

@arktek

"With all the ADAT outputs available are you still able to record something via one of the line ins (eg a mic or inst input)?"

Yes. Guitar into input 1, is coming into the iPad (AUM) and also AUM signals (guitar/synth etc) going out to the 18i20 via output 3/4 and into Logic.

Also the ADAT out from 18i20 seems to be working in Audiofuse (i.e. the levels are showing in the Control Centre). I've upgrade the CC today but hasn't addressed the ADAT issue. So....

Guitar --> Input 1/2 --> Audiofuse = OK
    iPad (AUM) --> USB --> Audiofuse = OK
    Audiofuse --> Output 3/4 --> 18i20 = OK
    18i20 --> ADAT IN --> Audiofuse = OK
    iPad (AUM) --> USB --> ADAT OUT --> 18i20 = NOT WORKING!

• edited January 2021

@NimboStratus

...well you're almost there 4/5 (not bad)🙂. I wonder what's up with the ADAT output then? We can safely assume that the ADAT settings are correct or else you wouldn't receive anything in there...I'm going to think through it a little bit at my end and see if there is something else we might have overlooked during this process and I think it might be time to really hassle Arturia. They need to come up with a better answer than the one they gave you as they really didn't cover the output side of things..just sending you a video that doesn't explain anything and a manual which completely glosses over this process requires a little better explanation.

Just out of curiosity...what do mean by the levels are showing in the Control Centre? Have you tried monitoring the ADAT signal in AUM? From what you've written this isn't clear.

• edited January 2021

Why I mean is with the Audiofuse plugged into the Mac and the 18i20 playback 1/2 mapped to ADAT out 1/2, I can see that in the Audiofuse Control Centre for the ADAT channels 1/2 the levels re showing that the signal is coming In OK.

Ive just tried then disconnecting the Audiofuse from the Mac and connect to the IPad but there is nothing coming int0 AUM on channels 7-14, only 1 is working as that’s where my guitar is coming in.

So ADAT in to the audiofuse seems to work but ADAT out from the audiofuse either to the iPad or the 18i20 doesn’t work.

I’ve emailed arturia again asking them to reply with all the details so far.

But starting to think perhaps I should cut my loses and just use 1/2 out.

• I understand where you're coming from. Can I ask...did you look at the Audiofuse in the Audio/MIDI app on the Mac to see what it was telling you in regards to it's clock source?

• edited January 2021

The only way to get ADAT to work at all is to set that to ADAT, i.e. to get the Audiofuse and 18i20 to lock and to get ADAT from the 18i20 into the audiofuse (albeit just the Control Centre).

• edited January 2021

Please could you check the Audiofuse settings in the Audio/MIDI setup app? In it's current setting does Logic see it? ie can you select the Audiofuse as an input or output interface in the audio preferences in Logic? Regardless of what the Arturia Control Centre is telling you....

I'm about to go to bed (kind of late here), but if you could just check those two bits that would be useful in this fault finding exercise.

• It looks correct in audio/midi for in and out - all channels appear. In logic I can also select any channel. So that's all correct.

It's the ADAT in/out on the Audiofuse/iPad side that's kinda broken, i.e. you can see all the inputs and outputs in AUM but using them doesn't do anything!

• edited January 2021

Thanks for the clarification. Weird. I can't think of anything else on the iPad side that one would need to do. Shame the Focusrite can't be plugged into the iPad the same way. Have you ever tried to plug the Focusrite into the iPad? - says something about being class compliant on the Mac...just wondering....
    I had a re read of the Focusrite manual and that's been well written and very clear about how to set up the ADAT channels. Hopefully the wonderful Arturia people can come back with an answer.

• edited January 2021

@arktek I'VE CRACKED IT!!!

Whilst writing a long detailed email to Arturia support I had an epiphany. So here is 2 channels of audio (in channels 5/6, out 3/4 from the Audiofuse) plus 8 channels of ADAT all from AUM to the 18i20 (and therefore can go into Logic now)!

Getting the Audiofuse and 18i20 to lock is a bit painful at times but found it’s best to power on the Audiofuse last.

I have it set to 18i20 internal clock and Audiofuse external ADAT.

SO HOW DID I GET IT TO WORK!?

Seems obvious now but I checked the Sample Rate in AUM and it was 44.1 not 48! So ********* simple in the end!!!!

But again thanks for all your help - hopefully this thread will help someone in the future :-)

Here is a screen shot of the Audiofuse control for completeness

FYI the Focusrite control option Digital I/O Mode doesn't seem to make any difference and I leave on RCA optical as that's what I'm using for the Helix.

• edited February 2021

@NimboStratus thanks for the update. That's truely excellent news. Didn't think about AUM being a different sample rate - one for experience. Need to remember to check every single connection point...

I'm glad that it's all up and running now. Now we have a documented example on the Forum as well which is cool.

Enjoy your new setup. 👍🙂

• @NimboStratus @arktek nice discussion ! i have the opportunity to get an audiofuse studio. I'd like to use it with the ipad at the moment. Is the latency an issue with this interface ? does it work well with the ipad ? thanks in advance

• @mlau said:
    @NimboStratus @arktek nice discussion ! i have the opportunity to get an audiofuse studio. I'd like to use it with the ipad at the moment. Is the latency an issue with this interface ? does it work well with the ipad ? thanks in advance

Edit : i will record both apps and vocals and acoustic guitars in AUM or Cubasis 3

• Hi,

Their reported latency is very low but I’m not using it like that, ie not doing overdubs but I strongly suspect it will be totally fine

• @NimboStratus said:
    Hi,

Their reported latency is very low but I’m not using it like that, ie not doing overdubs but I strongly suspect it will be totally fine

Thanks !

• edited February 2021

@mlau I have had no issues with latency. Recording and overdubbing has been smooth. I have found the limits on latency to be more in the software end....ie pushing the processor to it's limits with effects and auv3s. The interface itself has been great on the pad and on the Mac. Also, the direct monitoring knob works well. I do a lot of spoken voice recording and the direct monitoring works really well in this environment.
    Also, it locks into the iPad audio system pretty seamlessly. Plug and play.

• @arktek said:
    @mlau I have had no issues with latency. Recording and overdubbing has been smooth. I have found the limits on latency to be more in the software end....ie pushing the processor to it's limits with effects and auv3s. The interface itself has been great on the pad and on the Mac. Also, the direct monitoring knob works well. I do a lot of spoken voice recording and the direct monitoring works really well in this environment.
    Also, it locks into the iPad audio system pretty seamlessly. Plug and play.

thanks ! just got it ... impressive device !

• edited April 2022

Sorry - deleted - wrong thread

• So glad I found this thread! I’ve been having tons of consistency issues getting Adat working from iPad to Mac and it turned out to be the AUM sample rate. If I plug in my interface and then open AUM it gets set to 44.1 but if I open AUM and then connect it gets 48