Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEW FREE AUDIO UNIT: Multiband - splits a signal into separate frequency bands

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/multiband/id1522438777

This app takes a single channel signal and uses multi-output to split it into up to four separate channels, one for each frequency band. The point is to allow you to use any plugins you want to do multiband effects processing.

Comments

• Cool app. One thing : I have four instances in AUM (multi-out) on four tracks. When I mute the four tracks...I can still hear the sound of my synth...

• Been messing around using this with my guitar in AUM and MIDI Guitar AU3 as a host for various synth instruments that get triggered only in specific frequencies. Very cool!

• @cuscolima said:
    Cool app. One thing : I have four instances in AUM (multi-out) on four tracks. When I mute the four tracks...I can still hear the sound of my synth...

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the setup? (showing the Multiband UI and the routing in AUM)

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@cuscolima said:
    Cool app. One thing : I have four instances in AUM (multi-out) on four tracks. When I mute the four tracks...I can still hear the sound of my synth...

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the setup? (showing the Multiband UI and the routing in AUM)

Here we go. To be noted that it is occurring on my IPhone 7 but not on my iPad

Here on the pics you can see that when I solo the track 2, there is no signal out

• @cuscolima said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@cuscolima said:

Here we go. To be noted that it is occurring on my IPhone 7 but not on my iPad

Here on the pics you can see that when I solo the track 2, there is no signal out

Thanks for reporting this.

• edited January 2021

@Blue_Mangoo This is really awesome!

One question... in Doug’s video he duplicates the main audio into 4 tracks for each of the 4 bands.

While I’m playing with this, I’m only using one main audio track and separating the bands out with multi-out instances for bands 2 &3. I’m using apeMatrix as my host.

Appears to be exactly the same result only I’m not duplicating the main track into 4 tracks.

What is the purpose of duplicating the audio track 4 times as in Doug’s video?

• I don’t have ape matrix but think it supports multi out apps. The duplicating audio thing Doug does is only for hosts that don’t support this (in his case Cubasis).

• @Zerozerozero said:
    I don’t have ape matrix but think it supports multi out apps. The duplicating audio thing Doug does is only for hosts that don’t support this (in his case Cubasis).

Ah, that makes sense. I don’t use Cubasis and didn’t know it doesn’t support multi-outs. Thx 🙏

• I replaced the test flight link with the App Store link and changed the title of this thread.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    I replaced the test flight link with the App Store link and changed the title of this thread.

Thank you for this great gift.

• So this should help me keep the mid frequencies of my bass stereo and keep the low frequencies in mono? Badass.

• Very cool thanks!

• Thank you very much!

• Looks really cool, but downloaded but not showing in AUM or Audiobus, looked at Blue Mango all other apps showing. Typed in MULTIBAND and just multi, other apps show with similiar names but not multiband.
    Third gen ipad lastest IOS.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Looks really cool, but downloaded but not showing in AUM or Audiobus, looked at Blue Mango all other apps showing. Typed in MULTIBAND and just multi, other apps show with similiar names but not multiband.

Please try rebooting. If that doesn't work, try deleting the plugin, then running it as a standalone app, then reloading in AUM.

• Thank you for the gift!!!

• @DukeWonder said:
    So this should help me keep the mid frequencies of my bass stereo and keep the low frequencies in mono? Badass.

This IS BADASS!

Been trying to wrap my head around what’s possible with this app.

So we can take a single audio track in AUM, load this Multiband plugin and split this audio signal into up to 4 separate frequency bands, each on a new audio track of their own? That’s crazy! So yes, not only can we do what you’re describing (keeping the low freqs of a bass track mono, while the upper freqs in stereo), but we can also apply separate and/or individual effects to these different frequency bands.

This could get REAL interesting with some instruments. Much experimentation is underway!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Looks really cool, but downloaded but not showing in AUM or Audiobus, looked at Blue Mango all other apps showing. Typed in MULTIBAND and just multi, other apps show with similiar names but not multiband.

Please try rebooting. If that doesn't work, try deleting the plugin, then running it as a standalone app, then reloading in AUM.

Weird last night it was not there, today looked ar Blue Mango slot and Presto! there it was. Odd.
    Cheers for your reply.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Toastedghost said:

Weird last night it was not there, today looked ar Blue Mango slot and Presto! there it was. Odd.
    Cheers for your reply.

This happens regularly. I wish I knew why.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Toastedghost said:

Cheers for your reply.

It has to do with when the OS re-scans for new AUs. It is out of the plugins' control. Rebooting will generally fix it.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@DukeWonder said:
    So this should help me keep the mid frequencies of my bass stereo and keep the low frequencies in mono? Badass.

This IS BADASS!

Been trying to wrap my head around what’s possible with this app.

So we can take a single audio track in AUM, load this Multiband plugin and split this audio signal into up to 4 separate frequency bands, each on a new audio track of their own? That’s crazy! So yes, not only can we do what you’re describing (keeping the low freqs of a bass track mono, while the upper freqs in stereo), but we can also apply separate and/or individual effects to these different frequency bands.

This could get REAL interesting with some instruments. Much experimentation is underway!

My beats are about to get a huge bump in mixing.

• Awesome! Thank you! @Blue_Mangoo

• Thanks @Blue_Mangoo this is really useful!

• A question that has been on my mind is, is this the same effect achieved in AUM by bus sending a track to 3 send tracks (mix bus A, B and C) , and applying low and high cut filters to them with different cut off frequencies? And/or eq's?
    Just a question trying to learn a bit ;-)

• edited January 2021

@Frank303 said:
    A question that has been on my mind is, is this the same effect achieved in AUM by bus sending a track to 3 send tracks (mix bus A, B and C) , and applying low and high cut filters to them with different cut off frequencies? And/or eq's?
    Just a question trying to learn a bit ;-)

This effect is doing exactly that. However filtering like that is not as simple as it might seem. The problem is that the filters affect the phase. For example, if you use a low pass filter to split off the low frequencies and a high pass filter to split off the high frequencies, it’s not unusual that the high pass filter also inadvertently inverts the phase, or that both filters cause a certain amount of phase shift at one frequency and a different amount at other frequencies. The result is that you don’t get back to the original volume when you sum the high and low signals back together. Often you get a dead spot at the transition region between the two bands.

It becomes significantly more complicated when you split into three or four bands because the filters on all four bands need to have their phases in perfect alignment.

It’s pretty easy to do this using linear phase FIR filters. But linear phase filters introduce some added latency that I would prefer not to have when processing for real time live performance.

One thing I come to realize recently about iOS music production is that iOS users are much more likely to be using the audio unit plugins for real time performance. That means that latency is much more important on iOS than on desktop plugins. Everything we do should be designed with that in mind. There are cases where in a desktop plugin we would just use a linear phase EQ and the phase problem would be solved immediately. But on iOS pretty much every filter should use IIR design and that makes iOS plugin design unique and different from desktop plugins.

So the short answer is, “yes” if you knew what you were doing then you could rig something like this up in AUM without using this plugin. However, as the person who did the calculations for the filter design in this app I can honestly say that I would not feel confident to do this “by hand” using an EQ plugin because even when I designed the filters for the app I did it wrong several times before I got it right and without prototyping in a sophisticated calculation software like Mathematica or matlab and checking it with a sine sweep and a spectrogram I would not be confident that I had done it correctly.

• @Blue_Mangoo Excellent, thanks for the elaborate answer! See, I learned something :smile:
    Great app, perfect addition for my experiments, and a wonderful gesture to make it a gift! Your efforts are much appreciated!

• @Frank303 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Excellent, thanks for the elaborate answer! See, I learned something :smile:
    Great app, perfect addition for my experiments, and a wonderful gesture to make it a gift! Your efforts are much appreciated!

:)