Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Phil Spector: Dead at 81

Terrible human
Genius

Comments

• Yeah too bad he was such a horrible nut job but those records were huge!

• First single I owned - a jukebox reject in the 70's - was the Ronettes Be My Baby doubled with Baby I love You. Still gets to me that sound. I was watching The Ronettes inducted into the Hall of Fame the other day and the band do a cracking job recreating the sound.

• He produced some amazing records, but as noted, apparently not that nice of a person.

Got to give him credit for what he did for music (at least what he did prior to the 70s).

• @michael_m said:
    He produced some amazing records, but as noted, apparently not that nice of a person.

Got to give him credit for what he did for music (at least what he did prior to the 70s).

Be My Baby really is the greatest pop single of all time.

On the other hand: For years, I used to keep a running tally of musicians whom Spector had allegedly pulled a gun on. It’s a rather impressive roll call: John Lennon, Stevie Wonder, Leonard Cohen, DeeDee Ramone...

• @ajmiller said:
    First single I owned - a jukebox reject in the 70's - was the Ronettes Be My Baby doubled with Baby I love You. Still gets to me that sound. I was watching The Ronettes inducted into the Hall of Fame the other day and the band do a cracking job recreating the sound.

Be My Baby remains the greatest pop recording of all time.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Yeah too bad he was such a horrible nut job but those records were huge!

A true nut job!
    Barney Kessel’s sons worked as “bodyguards” for him for years. Their job was primarily to prevent Spector from attacking other people.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:
    He produced some amazing records, but as noted, apparently not that nice of a person.

Be My Baby really is the greatest pop single of all time.

On the other hand: For years, I used to keep a running tally of musicians whom Spector had allegedly pulled a gun on. It’s a rather impressive roll call: John Lennon, Stevie Wonder, Leonard Cohen, DeeDee Ramone...

I’m sure that list is much longer, but apparently he eventually became impossible to work with, regardless of whether he pulled a gun or not.

George Harrison has said at various times that only a small proportion of ‘All Things Must Pass’ was actually produced by Spector, as you had to catch him in that perfect window between being sober and disinterested, and too drunk to care about continuing with the session. He’s implied more than once that most of the production work was done by Harrison and the engineer for the sessions.

Still, you can’t fault him for the work he produced in his heyday.

• Murderer skilled in pressing play and record at the same time dies

• Knowing that Phil Spector "produced" Let It Be sheds a different light on this so-called genius ...

• edited January 2021

@CoogLFish said:

Knowing that Phil Spector "produced" Let It Be sheds a different light on this so-called genius ...

He didn’t produce it, he was brought on to finish it when they abandoned it. I like the version without his additions better though.

I echo the sentiments that he created some groundbreaking productions while being a tortured human being whose mental illness affected others in very bad ways. That doesn’t excuse any of his actions, just a framework as to underlying causes.

• @mrufino1 said:

@CoogLFish said:

Knowing that Phil Spector "produced" Let It Be sheds a different light on this so-called genius ...

He didn’t produce it, he was brought on to finish it when they abandoned it. I like the version without his additions better though.

I was expecting more from Let It Be Naked, and I think it would have benefited from McCartney letting another producer work on it. Spector’s version is a salvage job to some extent, but I don’t think McCartney’s is really an improvement. Full disclosure - I do like both versions.

• @u0421793 said:
    Murderer skilled in pressing play and record at the same time dies

This might fly in most non-music forums, but we know production takes a lot more than that, and making some of the greatest productions that inspired the next greatest productions is something else altogether.

Definitely a murderer, though.

• @ksound said:

@u0421793 said:

This might fly in most non-music forums, but we know production takes a lot more than that, and making some of the greatest productions that inspired the next greatest productions is something else altogether.

I agree. It got me thinking yesterday. As soon as a studio owner gets the hang of the threshold and ratio knobs, they become a total wanker, whilst somehow conveying an aura of genius at the same time. Not just Spector. Look at Joe Meek.

• edited January 2021

@u0421793 said:

@ksound said:

@u0421793 said:

I agree. It got me thinking yesterday. As soon as a studio owner gets the hang of the threshold and ratio knobs, they become a total wanker, whilst somehow conveying an aura of genius at the same time. Not just Spector. Look at Joe Meek.

Phil Spector didn’t engineer at all. Larry Levine worked as an engineer with Phil Spector most often in the 60’s period in which he was most productive. Joe Meek did engineer. He also had schizophrenia, which ultimately led to his death.

Without opening a huge can of worms, I feel like most people considered groundbreaking or geniuses were either autistic or dealt with schizophrenia like mental health issues, or sometimes both. That lack of being restrained by convention leads to groundbreaking thinking, and in some cases, very difficult behavior for others to be around. Difficult line to straddle, beautiful in some cases, very difficult in others.

• @mrufino1 said:

@u0421793 said:

@ksound said:

@u0421793 said:

Phil Spector didn’t engineer at all. Right now the name of the engineer that worked with him most is escaping me; his first name was Larry if I remember correctly, and he worked at Gold Star. Joe Meek did engineer. He also had schizophrenia, which ultimately led to his death.

Larry Levine. Here he is at the Gold Star board.

• @R_2 said:

@mrufino1 said:

@u0421793 said:

@ksound said:

@u0421793 said:

Phil Spector didn’t engineer at all. Right now the name of the engineer that worked with him most is escaping me; his first name was Larry if I remember correctly, and he worked at Gold Star. Joe Meek did engineer. He also had schizophrenia, which ultimately led to his death.

Larry Levine. Here he is at the Gold Star board.

Funny, I was editing my post after looking it up to include his name. Thanks for posting though. Great photo. You can see the protective wall Phil Spector has around himself in that photo, starting with his sunglasses.

• R_2R_2
    edited January 2021

@mrufino1 said:
    You can see the protective wall Phil Spector has around himself in that photo, starting with his sunglasses.

Yes, later on bodyguards, guns and high fences were added B)

• edited January 2021

Apparently he had something to say about every aspect of the production except for musical arrangements - that was the one thing he left alone, but once they were written he would make sure they were played over and over until they were perfect. Joey Ramone told the story of when he was doing a vocal take for ‘Baby I Love You’ that Spector would make him listen to the original all the way through each time he made a mistake, repeating the process for over 50 takes.

• R_2R_2
    edited January 2021

Good advise from Cohen (produced and ‘co-written’ by Spector) :p

• @R_2 said:
    Good advise from Cohen (produced and ‘co-written’ by Spector) :p

I have a kind of love/hate relationship with that album. It doesn’t work so well as a Leonard Cohen album, but it does have its moments. This is actually one of the better songs from it though.

• Hot take: end of the century is the best Ramones record.

• @legsmechanical said:
    Hot take: end of the century is the best Ramones record.

It's the most different of their output, but I don't know if it's their best.

It's also the album with the least amount of Ramones actually playing on it.

• @michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

“I don’t know who is playing bass on that record, but it’s not me”
    - Dee Dee R.

• edited January 2021

@JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

- Dee Dee R.

It was Dee Dee’s quote I thought of too. The others said they played on it, but a lot of session musicians have also claimed they played on it too.

I think the only one that we can be sure was on it is Joey.

• @michael_m said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

- Dee Dee R.

It was Dee Dee’s quote I thought of too. The others said they played on it, but a lot of session musicians have also claimed they played on it too.

I always thought it was interesting how much they leaned into the Spector sound AFTER eotc even though all but Joey apparently hated the overproduction. It seems like they split the difference among them. Pure slick pop on the records (mostly) and fast furious and raw live. I always get a kick out of listening to a live version of Howling at the Moon (Sha la la la) after playing the record version. It’s like two different bands.

• @legsmechanical said:

@michael_m said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

- Dee Dee R.

I always thought it was interesting how much they leaned into the Spector sound AFTER eotc even though all but Joey apparently hated the overproduction. It seems like they split the difference among them. Pure slick pop on the records (mostly) and fast furious and raw live. I always get a kick out of listening to a live version of Howling at the Moon (Sha la la la) after playing the record version. It’s like two different bands.

Ironically, Howling at the Moon was produced by a returning Tommy Ramone I think.

• @michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

@michael_m said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

- Dee Dee R.

Ironically, Howling at the Moon was produced by a returning Tommy Ramone I think.

No shit? And arooouuund and arooouuund we go! 😊

• @legsmechanical said:

@michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

@michael_m said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

@legsmechanical said:

- Dee Dee R.

No shit? And arooouuund and arooouuund we go! 😊

It shows you how deep Spector’s influence went when it goes round like that.