Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: record collectors

edited January 2021 in Other

I’ve recently started buying records again for the purpose of listening instead of just sampling. I’m from the 80s era and was mostly on the end of the (possibly) biggest vinyl era as things were moving towards tape and CD, and now digital, but I’ve always leaned more towards playing a record than any other format.

Today i found an original pressing of pink floyd dark side of the moon and it even had one of the two original stickers inside the sleeve!!!
Unfortunately the other one as well as the posters where missing but that’s ok! Its a great find and in really good shape for a record store find!! I’m guessing it didn’t have many owners and was properly stored based on the condition of the gatefold and the record is not warped!

Who else here collects vinyl and what are some of your favorite finding?!

Super stoked about thid find to add to the collection

Comments

• edited January 2021

I’ve got about 8-9000 records, all sorts of stuff in there but mostly hip hop/soul/jazz/funk/disco and a Little Rock.
    Used to have more but had a couple of culls over the last ten years and sold at least 2000 pieces.

• edited January 2021

Not a collector at all but it happens that I'm looking for an album that virtually "doesn't exist" on the market. Bands from the 70s or early 80s who have only had a low amount of vinyls pressed and never went on CD. At times you can be lucky to find collectors' items, like in brand new condition for an acceptable price (I'm into Jazz/Funk as well and luckily these are not as expensive as the more mainstream bands).

One of them:

• The best is when you buy a vintage gatefold 2xLP and find some seeds/stems in the centerfold.

• BTW, I should clarify that none of these records were purchased for value/collection. They have been used and abused like all good TUNES should be.

• Nice find @reasOne :)

There's something about the tangibility of vinyl, and the event of playing it.

@gusgranite - me too, man. I sold a lot of stuff moving overseas. It wasn't a huge collection, but I had maybe 500 LPs and 1000 CDs, and pared it down to fewer than 200 of each, plus a handful of cassettes and 7"s. That took a long while. I still buy a few, but I'm very careful about what I pick up, lest it weigh me down. Vinyl is heavy.

Absolutely agree on records for love, not investment and I'd be terrible at it anyway. The pricey ones are a mystery to me. Most of my "this one is worth something" records are relatively recent, and everything that I thought "this must be worth loads!" seems to have maxed out at €50-60, or half that more likely.

These 3 seem to be going for a fair chunk of change (I can't have paid much more than €20 each):
    https://www.discogs.com/Jozef-Van-Wissem-SQÜRL-Only-Lovers-Left-Alive/release/5430344
    https://www.discogs.com/Gétatchèw-Mèkurya-Ethiopian-Urban-Modern-Music-Vol-5/release/2882750
    https://www.discogs.com/Tsege-Mariam-Gebru-Spielt-Eigene-Kompositionen/release/3840777

Stereolab's doing ok:
    https://www.discogs.com/Stereolab-Emperor-Tomato-Ketchup/release/73459

And mclusky, weirdly (I wouldn't have predicted this one - my money was on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs picture disc):
    https://www.discogs.com/mclusky-mclusky-Do-Dallas/release/1660903

As far as finds go, an unplayed, original pressing of Leonard Cohen's Greatest Hits for £1 in a charity shop was a pretty good find. I overheard an amazing conversation in that place too, as the guy behind the counter was telling a woman off for haggling in there. "I think the prices in here are more than fair," he said.

• edited January 2021

@colonel_mustard some nice sounds in there by the looks of it! Going to have a listen.

I don’t know what I’m going to do with the 5000 CDs in my basement. I worked in Soho, London, for years so spent every lunch hour scouring the Berwick Street stores (RIP). I was going to digitize the ones that never made it to streaming services and then send the lot to Murfie.com to sell but I’m nervous as I think they might be hanging on by a thread.

I guess I should just play them on a regular basis!

• @gusgranite said:
    I was going to digitize them and then send them to Murfie.com to sell but I’m nervous as I think they might be hanging on by a thread.

Spent a fair bit of time there myself, during the London years.

It seems they've been rescue-bought-out by a company called Crossies, who promise to carry the torch.
    http://www.crossies.com/murfie/murfie_letter.html

Digitizing, or indeed navigating 5000 albums could get unwieldy, so I appreciate the dilemma.

Best of luck!

• I have all the original Kraftwerk german pressings. A lot of krautrock and 70's electronic.

• @reasOne said:
    I’ve recently started buying records again for the purpose of listening instead of just sampling. I’m from the 80s era and was mostly on the end of the (possibly) biggest vinyl era as things were moving towards tape and CD, and now digital, but I’ve always leaned more towards playing a record than any other format.

Today i found an original pressing of pink floyd dark side of the moon and it even had one of the two original stickers inside the sleeve!!!
    Unfortunately the other one as well as the posters where missing but that’s ok! Its a great find and in really good shape for a record store find!! I’m guessing it didn’t have many owners and was properly stored based on the condition of the gatefold and the record is not warped!

Who else here collects vinyl and what are some of your favorite finding?!

Super stoked about thid find to add to the collection

Nice find! I just bought new 180g pressings of both DSOTM and The Wall not too long ago. Essential vinyl...

I found an original pressing of “Switched on Bach” at our local library of all places for a buck! (They had a small “thrift sale” in their lobby with used books, CDs/cassettes, and some vinyl.

• Nice one, mate! My Dad had the original vinyl gatefold. I used to have the two included posters up on my bedroom wall as a kid. I’ve since inherited it from him along with the original vinyl of Wish You Were Here with postcards and many other cool albums from his generation. Yes, I was an 80s teen and I also have my own two boxes full of vinyl stuff I collected from back then, including loads of 12”s of Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Simple Minds, Marillion, New Order, and all sorts of other goodies.

Great find, mate!

• awesome find!!

i love vinyl.. my favorite finds are a mint Yma Sumac - Voice of the Xtabay - incredible 1950's exotica. I love all exotica stuff, have a collection of about 200 records from the era. Esquivel is another favorite.

a strange free find i found crate digging once was this blind group of christian singers called the braillettes. Very interesting and surprisingly well produced record: