Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LK vs Drambo for AUM MIDI Sequencing | haQ attaQ

So I've tried using the LK midi app together with AUM as some of you suggested to me and it is a good app. However LK is not working out fro me, but Drambo on the other hand does. Why is it that I like using Drambo for MIDI Sequencing inside AUM instead of LK? Watch and find out.

haQattaQ

Comments

• Enjoyed the video. I’m fine with doing mixer and transport controls on the screen. And I like an editable piano roll

• edited January 2021

Excellent video. I’ve just been a week away from midi whilst on an MPE tip, recording audio loops In AUM into what I discovered to be a much improved (as in working properly) L7 looper. Now I’ve come back round to add non MPE instruments as midi. I’ve been using LK for that and it is also much improved (the beta) in just the couple of weeks since I last used it. I even used it with Ableton Live today which felt like an ironic bonus novelty.

I think the thing you’ve missed is LK’s hardware controller support. I’ve been using it with a Launchpad X and that gives me most of the control you are missing from the absence of midi learn within the app. Other controllers are also now supported.

However, you made the Drambo route look really straightforward, so I will also be using that. After all, no reason why they can’t play happily together. Thank you for presenting things so clearly.

• edited January 2021

Edit: deleted repeat post - quote not edit again... doh.

• @audiobussy said:
    Enjoyed the video. I’m fine with doing mixer and transport controls on the screen. And I like an editable piano roll

A viewer commented over at YouTube about being a tester of Drambo. Looks like there’s a piano roll in the works.

• @steve99 said:
    Excellent video. I’ve just been a week away from midi whilst on an MPE tip, recording audio loops In AUM into what I discovered to be a much improved (as in working properly) L7 looper. Now I’ve come back round to add non MPE instruments as midi. I’ve been using LK for that and it is also much improved (the beta) in just the couple of weeks since I last used it. I even used it with Ableton Live today which felt like an ironic bonus novelty.

I think the thing you’ve missed is LK’s hardware controller support. I’ve been using it with a Launchpad X and that gives me most of the control you are missing from the absence of midi learn within the app. Other controllers are also now supported.

However, you made the Drambo route look really straightforward, so I will also be using that. After all, no reason why they can’t play happily together.

Ah, so it does have hardware controller support. Thanks for letting me know.

I’d still like midi learn because it makes setting up controllers so easy. Especially since one can use any type of controller.

An LK tester commented over at YouTube and said that there is support coming for the nano kontrollers.

• And Soonita is so pretty, she keeps playing, ‘Hard to get’..

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@steve99 said:

However, you made the Drambo route look really straightforward, so I will also be using that. After all, no reason why they can’t play happily together.

I’d still like midi learn because it makes setting up controllers so easy. Especially since one can use any type of controller.

An LK tester commented over at YouTube and said that there is support coming for the nano kontrollers.

Lack of MIDI learn in LK is a hassle imo. If it had good midi learn, I'd be using it all the time.

I would use LK much much more if it had convenient Midi Learn OR a default set of assignments one could map to. It is really time-consuming to set it up as every pattern you want to control with MIDI takes many taps to make an assignment.

It does support some controllers out of the box (including some Launchpads), but I'd much prefer midi learn because I only need a 4x4 grid for most of my clip launching and and would like to use the other pads on my controller for other things. But setting up the MIDI assignments is not friendly at this point.

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@steve99 said:

Yes, the new beta of LK has just been released and the following has been added:

• Added Korg Nano Kontrol Studio support
    • Added Novation Launch Control XL support
  • @White said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@steve99 said:

Yes, the new beta of LK has just been released and the following has been added:

That’s great news as I own a LCXL. I‘m on testflight but I don’t know where is the changelog. Do you know?

About MIDI learn, I think it would a great addition but could not replace the controller support. To really utilize a pad controller for clip launching you need the the visual feedback and this must be programmed into the app. Well, the feedback SysEx could also be made editable though.

• edited January 2021

@White said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@steve99 said:

@jakoB_haQ you hit us right in the heart with that big cross over LK's screenshot and the big red letters for "no midi cc or auv3 parameter mapping". It is time to make it happen! :smiley:

But please feel free to let us know what you think of the plug and play integration of the korg nano kontrol studio that we have added to the forthcoming version 1.9.3. It should come out in the next couple of days. As Mr. @White said, it is already in beta.

• @krassmann said:

@White said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@steve99 said:

That’s great news as I own a LCXL. I‘m on testflight but I don’t know where is the changelog. Do you know?

No, I only have the info from the mail from TestFlight

• I really hope that LK, Drambo and Atom 2 can all play well together when the dust settles. In particular atom as the piano roll within Drambo and/or LK, as it’s been designed to be modular.

Exciting times!

• edited January 2021

I love that I can choose from AUM only, with LK or with Drambo, or both, or Drambo standalone, as per my whim and wip up a jam in minutes. All have their limitations and strengths, and I think that is beautiful. The pace at wich they are actively being developed is incredible. I am very happy not having to commit to any, and that creates a highly creative mood for me I never found when using Ableton.
    That said, I can fully understand everyone wants something differently, and all the programs are not for everybody, as their approach is very different and doesn't necessarily achieve the same result.

• edited January 2021

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:
    Enjoyed the video. I’m fine with doing mixer and transport controls on the screen. And I like an editable piano roll

A viewer commented over at YouTube about being a tester of Drambo. Looks like there’s a piano roll in the works.

That was me @jakoB_haQ ! 😇

https://forum.beepstreet.com/discussion/1105/drambo-roadmap#latest

Copied from beepstreet forum published this morning:

Drambo Roadmap

Constantly: current fixes and improvements, minor additions
    Floatable and improved library browser window
    Multi audio IO
    Pattern editor improvements: drag'n'drop
    Sequence editor improvements: new edit bar and modes
    (?) Some reorganizations in main layout options: big/small/hidden keyboard, fullscreen sequencer etc..
    Onscreen piano-keyboard improvements: pads / keyboard, midi controllers. Configurable pads behaviour: midi events on gestures
    Change scenes - p-lock priority
    MIDI learn per rack module
    More voices per track (up to 32)
    Instant stems recording
    Parameters / MIDI automation recording + curve editors ( this will be processed before p-locks , p-locks won't be smoothed )
    Fullscreen pianoroll (extended steps view)
    Samples management: copy / paste between modules (possible samples pool)
    Some improvements and extensions in step components insertion / handling
    Timestretching
    DSP oversampling options: 1,2,4,8,16
    Multi core support
    Custom length / speed / direction per track
    Clips + clip launcher
    (?) Track sequencer extracted as a module
    MPE / MIDI 2.0 recording and processing
    (?) Unique module settings (all) per pattern / clip
    MIDI loopback port inside Drambo standalone
    Support for MIDI control surfaces

Modules:

Convert all syncable modules to work with time singal
    Analog elements: filters, compressor, saturators
    Looper / tape module
    Effect modules: flanger, beat repeater, spectral delay
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Granular processing / synthesis modules
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    UI modules: Button - offset / trigger - multiple buttons, multiple knobs, XY pad with gate
    Eurorack pitch CV converter module
    Gamepad controller module
    Performer rack module (note selects currently applied sub rack)
    Math expression module
    FFT processing signal type + modules
    Graphics processing signal type + modules (distant future)

• @supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    (?) Some reorganizations in main layout options: big/small/hidden keyboard, fullscreen sequencer etc..
    Onscreen piano-keyboard improvements: pads / keyboard, midi controllers. Configurable pads behaviour: midi events on gestures
    Instant stems recording
    Parameters / MIDI automation recording + curve editors ( this will be processed before p-locks , p-locks won't be smoothed )
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    UI modules: Button - offset / trigger - multiple buttons, multiple knobs, XY pad with gate
    Math expression module

Wow.. hope midi import/export finds its way in..

• edited January 2021

@gregsmith said:
    I really hope that LK, Drambo and Atom 2 can all play well together when the dust settles. In particular atom as the piano roll within Drambo and/or LK, as it’s been designed to be modular.

Exciting times!

I don’t know Atom but I’d like to know what are its advantages over LK‘s piano roll. I mean so far I don’t have huge pain points with it. In LK you can create clips with an infinite number of bars, so it’s not limited to loops.

• edited January 2021

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    Instant stems recording
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    Math expression module

This makes me aroused..

Wish there was a vactrol/low pass gate in there as well hehe.

• @aleyas said:

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    Instant stems recording
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    Math expression module

This makes me aroused..

That IS a titillating list!

• I wasn’t crazy about Drambo as a sequencer, except for drums. Never been a fan of the “Elektron style workflow”. BUT, since Drambo became a AUv3 host, I’m loving it. I can do X0X style drum programming and use other apps for melodic sequencing.

• @aleyas said:

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    Instant stems recording
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    Math expression module

This makes me aroused..

Wish there was a vactrol/low pass gate in there as well hehe.

That's a nice list :) but I can't see floating AU windows which is one thing keeping me away from standalone Drambo.
    But AUM plus Drambo gives a nice combination. I was hoping for the track sequencer to be able to swapped for different modules and looks like it's heading that way too.

• I like LK in some respects - it’s quite ambitious, but I find it pretty fiddly. I really need a pencil tool to get the most out of it.

• edited January 2021

Does anyone know when LK will support Launchpad Mini MK3?

• edited January 2021

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    Instant stems recording
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    Math expression module

Wow, thank y so much for posting this! :blush:

EDIT:

Omg, This list is Making me drool

• edited January 2021

@jakoB_haQ why don’t you host the AU synths directly in Drambo (standalone version) ? It will give you even more options like controlling the volume with the faders, the pan, etc. directly with your nano studio

• @cuscolima said:
    @jakoB_haQ why don’t you host the AU synths directly in Drambo (standalone version) ? It will give you even more options like controlling the volume with the faders, the pan, etc. directly with your nano studio

I’m going to do a video about that too. ;)

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    Instant stems recording
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    Math expression module

EDIT:

Dude I hope I don't get into trouble having posted this. I didn't realise it was in the beta thread of the beepstreet forum!
    It's a legit leak!!!!!

• @krassmann said:

@gregsmith said:
    I really hope that LK, Drambo and Atom 2 can all play well together when the dust settles. In particular atom as the piano roll within Drambo and/or LK, as it’s been designed to be modular.

Exciting times!

I don’t know Atom but I’d like to know what are its advantages over LK‘s piano roll. I mean so far I don’t have huge pain points with it. In LK you can create clips with an infinite number of bars, so it’s not limited to loops.

True, the LK piano roll is fine. If find it quite easy to accidentally add notes but that’s about it.

Have a look at the atom 2 thread to see what we’ve got in store from @blueveek
    It’s looking incredible.

I find AUM + atom + auv3’s by far the quickest way to get going

• @supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    Instant stems recording
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    Math expression module

EDIT:

Dude I hope I don't get into trouble having posted this. I didn't realise it was in the beta thread of the beepstreet forum!
    It's a legit leak!!!!!

Hey, @giku_beepstreet if you kick @supadom out of the beta, I have a long weekend...

• @Liquidmantis said:

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@supadom said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

@audiobussy said:

Drambo Roadmap

Multi audio IO
    Instant stems recording
    Timestretching
    Multi core support
    Clips + clip launcher

Modules:

Looper / tape module
    Reverse buffer module
    BBD delay
    Spectral noise
    Drum rack module
    New sequencer modules
    Math expression module

EDIT:

It's a legit leak!!!!!

Hey, @giku_beepstreet if you kick @supadom out of the beta, I have a long weekend...

Oi oi, easy tiger, I’m alpha user #2! I still have a long way to fall!! 😜

• I finally got around to watching this one and it's helpful. I never saw Drambo used in that way and now I want to give this approach a try. Thanks Jacob.

For causal viewers, Jacob lets his hair down on this one.