Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PanoPainter

Saw this 360 pano painter and animator app is on sale. It’s for making VR animations.

I don’t do or use any 360 VR stuff but I’m intrigued by the possibilities.

Anyone use this app?

Are there some interesting experimental uses for it that you’ve come across?

Can you easily share the output for viewing and navigating the space without a VR headset?

Can you export standard 360 video with it, or is it a proprietary format only?

Are the paint tools decent, or pretty basic only?

Can you import 360 video and then paint over it?

Comments

• Just realized this app hasn’t been updated in a year and the dev hasn’t been active on any of his feeds for nearly a year.

He posted a bunch of sale graphics on the Facebook page he has for this but hasn’t bothered answering user questions on the page for several months.

Looking like it’s abandoned. Still $10 on sale from $15. Think I’ll pass. Looks interesting though.

• edited January 2021

Are there some interesting experimental uses for it that you’ve come across?

I've used it for making 360 'ride films' on youtube, but its often used to make backgrounds for games (anything too far away for the player to reach is often a 'skybox', which is ultimately a 360 pano painting or render projected on a huge sphere). I've also helped make 'choose your own adventure' style training apps, pitches for other 3d environments, fun stuff.

Can you easily share the output for viewing and navigating the space without a VR headset?

Yep, facebook and youtube both support 360 video, facebook supports 360 stills too (and you can always convert a still into a long static video for youtube anyway). With it being supported on those 2 platforms, it means that support for viewing is pretty good outside of VR headsets, so you can view them by using your phone as a 'window' into the world, or on a desktop you can pan around the world with your mouse.

Can you export standard 360 video with it, or is it a proprietary format only?

Yep, one person tried to lock down web playback formats a few years ago and failed. Ultimately playing back an image or video on a giant sphere is hardly rocket science. Generally its an image or video which is twice as wide as it is tall, and when you upload it to facebook or youtube it'll ask you if its a 360 pano, I'm sure there's guides floating around.

Are the paint tools decent, or pretty basic only?

Again the tech is pretty straightforward (paint on a sphere), so any 3d app which lets you paint, or any paint app that lets you 3d, will suffice here. Even photoshop has a 3d paint mode now ( ), but something like substance painter, or zbrush, or a compositor like nuke or fusion could do it. I think a fun option could be Blender, which is free and open source.

Can you import 360 video and then paint over it?

Again depends on the app. Photoshop has rudimentary video support, you might want to look to a compositing package for that kind of thing like Nuke or Fusion, but they ramp up substantially in complexity.

Other fun links:

• Intriguing post @matte

Thank you. I'm sure lots of this will come in handy for future experiments.

• You nailed it with your post :lol:
    Of all options I would highly recommend blender indeed. I was gonna comment on Jama Jurabaev's experiments with grease pencil, but you already posted.

Dedouze makes some nice 2.5D animations (2D in 3D)

A tutorial by him:

• I was kinda interested in this too but the lack of updates put me off a bit, think I’ll stick to quill and Animpainter and blender (especially as it incorporates more VR stuff this year)

• I can think of lots of possibilities, especially with immersive paintings that incorporate motion and are navigable. But, I was also curious if anyone had any experience with this particular PanoPainter app that’s on sale at the moment. I sent a message to the dev but haven’t got a reply yet.

Thanks for the great replies! I’m inspired to look further into it, even if this particular app isn’t the way to go. I like that it has both an iOS AND desktop version too.

• I got several replies back from the developer on PanoPainter. He says he's still developing it. That he hasn't updated it because they had a baby this year and he plans to rewrite it in Metal since OpenGL has been deprecated by Apple. He said it's definitely not abandoned though.

I might get it I think... could be fun to experiment with unless someone has some suggestions of other Pano painting/animation apps on iOS. From what I can tell... PanoPainter may be the only one.

• Cheers @skiphunt I might give it a go based on that, it might work nicely for me... I really want blender's grease pencil tools to be ported but I think that there's a compatibility problem with the licenses of blender and those of the app store...

• edited January 2021

@Krupa said:
    Cheers @skiphunt I might give it a go based on that, it might work nicely for me... I really want blender's grease pencil tools to be ported but I think that there's a compatibility problem with the licenses of blender and those of the app store...

The dev is pretty responsive via his facebook messaging. He said that the .mp4 export has issues that he'll fix. I'm not sure what I think of it yet, but it looks like the only app of this kind on iOS so it might be fun to experiment with.

https://www.facebook.com/panopainter

• @skiphunt said:

@Krupa said:
    Cheers @skiphunt I might give it a go based on that, it might work nicely for me... I really want blender's grease pencil tools to be ported but I think that there's a compatibility problem with the licenses of blender and those of the app store...

The dev is pretty responsive via his facebook messaging. He said that the .mp4 export has issues that he'll fix. I'm not sure what I think of it yet, but it looks like the only app of this kind on iOS so it might be fun to experiment with.

https://www.facebook.com/panopainter

I did grab it this afternoon, seems very functional and useful, though I've only had a bit of a bash with it while chatting on the phone... I need to get my head around the guides as I think that'll be key to getting good results - was quite nice just loading in photos, placing them and then tracing around them a bit... immediate thoughts were that vector brushes would be great - maybe something that could translate to blender grease pencil strikes or something, maybe I'll get in touch with him :)