Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Use SonoBus to expose DAW tracks to AUM

Comments

• @NimboStratus said:

@espiegel123 said:
    After some hunting, I found a report that the Anker USB 3 gigabit Ethernet adapter works on an iPad (the non-hub version). It is less than $20 U.S. The 3 port hub version is $29.95 but I haven’t found any reports as to whether it works well with the iPad.

I am curious as to whether the hubs work with the CCK (I.e. whether the lightning power provides enough to power the hub)

The one I got doesn't have enough power for my iPAD! Cannot seem to find one that is powered. Back to square ZERO.

I believe all of them are likely to require some power thrpugj either a powered hub or CCK with power coming in. At least that was the case for all the ones I read about.

What kind of iPad /iPhone were you using? Did you use a powered hub or CCK?

• @arktek said:
    @espiegel123 gave it a bit of a whirl and it looks pretty decent. I don't think auditor likes me very much so I'll try some other editor tomorrow, but from what I can see and from what I was monitoring it seems pretty decent. In Bitwig the waveforms seem to be pretty consistent. There is a little bit of drift, but it's within the ballpark. I used a kick in GR - 16 so the waveform is reasonable. Might try something a little sharper tomorrow as in a hat or something.

What problem did you have with Auditor?

If the two signals don't have a rock solid constant offset there is a danger of audible artifacts. The next test is a continuous signal .. maybe a sinewave to see how frequently jitter causes audible discontinuities not cut with the quarter notes test which was mostly silence.

• @espiegel123 just having issues moving and generally editing a sample. Just me though. I don't use it often and it was late when I was playing with it. I'll give it all a bit more of a go today.

• @NimboStratus said:
    @arktek which one do you have?

I have a digitech one that I posted a link to earlier in this thread. I'm in Australia, but there should be something comparable around the world. It's simple and reliable.

• @arktek said:
    @espiegel123 just having issues moving and generally editing a sample. Just me though. I don't use it often and it was late when I was playing with it. I'll give it all a bit more of a go today.

If you need help figuring it out . For tasks like this particular one, I find it even more convenient than my desktop tools though it did take some getting used to.

• Could this app be used to route a channel to another channel and then put another instance of it on another channel and it will route the signal to it as well? That way I could create mix buses in Beatmaker 3?

• @arktek what iPAD do you have? Wondering if a newer iPAD will deliver more power to the adaptor. Odd mine says it cannot power the one I got. Perhaps it's that particular adaptor that needs more power but cannot seem to find a powered one.

• edited March 2021

@Brad said:
    Could this app be used to route a channel to another channel and then put another instance of it on another channel and it will route the signal to it as well? That way I could create mix buses in Beatmaker 3?

Yes indeed. You'll have to take the latency into account though.

Do you own the best AUM alternative, apeMatrix?
    It comes with a "Mixer Send Receive" AUv3 plugin that does exactly that, much easier to handle and definitely less (zero, to be precise) latency B)

• @rs2000 said:

@Brad said:
    Could this app be used to route a channel to another channel and then put another instance of it on another channel and it will route the signal to it as well? That way I could create mix buses in Beatmaker 3?

Yes indeed. You'll have to take the latency into account though.

Do you own the best AUM alternative, apeMatrix?
    It comes with a "Mixer Send Receive" AUv3 plugin that does exactly that, much easier to handle and definitely less (zero, to be precise) latency B)

I don’t have Apematrix, but I’ll definitely look into. Thanks for the info.

• @NimboStratus said:
    @arktek what iPAD do you have? Wondering if a newer iPAD will deliver more power to the adaptor. Odd mine says it cannot power the one I got. Perhaps it's that particular adaptor that needs more power but cannot seem to find a powered one.

I have an iPad Pro 9.7, I purchased about 4 years ago only weeks before the 10.5 was released. Yes, I was a little down over that timing error. It powers the Ethernet adapter part of the hub without any issues. I prefer to operate the hub with power plugged into the cck because the battery is dying a slow death....but, it doesn’t need to for network operations.

• @NimboStratus said:
    @arktek what iPAD do you have? Wondering if a newer iPAD will deliver more power to the adaptor. Odd mine says it cannot power the one I got. Perhaps it's that particular adaptor that needs more power but cannot seem to find a powered one.

You are likely to need to supply power. How are you connecting it? Are you using a CCK with lightning power coming in? A powered hub?

• @espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

You are likely to need to supply power. How are you connecting it? Are you using a CCK with lightning power coming in? A powered hub?

Yup so I have a powered USB hub. From that I’m powering the CCK. In the CCK is also plugged the Ethernet adaptor

• @NimboStratus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

Yup so I have a powered USB hub. From that I’m powering the CCK. In the CCK is also plugged the Ethernet adaptor

@NimboStratus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

This sounds like you might have things connected in the wrong order. Which iPad and ccK are you using?

• iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen. Apple CCK

• @NimboStratus said:
    iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen. Apple CCK

Maybe I am mis-reading your description, but you may want to try connecting things differently. I don't understand how your CCK can have both the powered hub and the ethernet dongle plugged in -- unless this is a non-Apple CCK.

The CCK should be plugged into your iPad and a lightning cable should be attached to bring power -- probably from somewhere other than the powered hub. Your powered hub would be plugged into the CCK and your ethernet dongle connected to the hub.

• Yeah that's how I have it but not the dedicated power part, will try that.

• So...

**Power : **

Apple Power Plug --> Apple cable --> Apple CCK --> iPAD.

**Network : **

iPAD --> Apple CCK --> SyncWire USB to ethernet adaptor --> Cat 6 cable --> 1000 gigabit router.

Same issue, iPad reports there is not enough power for the ethernet adaptor.

• @NimboStratus said:
    So...

iPAD --> Apple CCK --> SyncWire USB to ethernet adaptor --> Cat 6 cable --> 1000 gigabit router.

Do you have any other USB chargers besides the Apple one? If so,see if it works better. Someone pointed out in another thread that for some peripherals other USB power sources work better than Apple's.

If you have just the externally-powered CCK and no powered hub, do you also have the problem?

• @espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:
    So...

Do you have any other USB chargers besides the Apple one? If so,see if it works better. Someone pointed out in another thread that for some peripherals other USB power sources work better than Apple's.

Will try a few

If you have just the externally-powered CCK and no powered hub, do you also have the problem?

Yes. That's what I explained above, no powered hub connected.

• @rs2000 said:
    @espiegel123 SonoBus uses version 2 of AoO, the Audio over OSC library. I've just checked the repo and found this:

• aoo_sink buffer helps to deal with network jitter, packet reordering and packet loss at the cost of latency. The size can be adjusted dynamically.
    • aoo_sink can ask the source(s) to resend dropped packets, the settings are free adjustable.

It would be good to know if SonoBus can use these features, I haven't found anything in the settings.

Yes, it uses these features, but it can really only take advantage of them if you use a large enough jitter buffer so there is actually time for resending.

• edited March 2021

@NimboStratus said:
    My USB ethernet adaptor arrives today. I'll try multi channel from AUM into Logic. There would appear to be two ways to handle the multichannel aspect of this

1. Multiple instances on SB on each AUM track logging into different SB groups, so AUM track 1 SB logs into group1, 2 into 2 etc. Then a SB FX slot plugin on each Logic track, each logging into the individual groups - i.e. group1, etc

2. Jesse alluded to a better way of doing it so you have just one instance of SB on either side but waiting to hear back how to do it.

Sorry about dropping the ball on that! Let me post it here, so all can see it:

ON iOS SIDE WITH AUM

Because the SonoBus AUv3 supports multiple input and output buses, and so does AUM, you can build up your AUM tracks for the all the sources you want to use.

Then create a new track for SonoBus to live on, insert it as an effect plugin.

Then on each of your source tracks, add an insert at the end of the effects chain and choose Multi-bus Audio Unit Instances->SonoBus. You should see that it selects one of the input and output buses to route to/from. The first one you route will probably show ->2 2->, the next ->3 3->... this means it will be routing into the Aux 1 and Aux 2 buses as SonoBus sees them internally.

Next, in the SonoBus UI for the plugin in AUM, select the INPUT MIXER at the top, now you will want to create an input group for each of the sources you set up in AUM and routed into SonoBus's buses. For instance if you have stereo sources in your AUM track you will use the + button in the SB input mixer to add a stereo input group. Then you should select the appropriate input source for each one with the button on the left. Like I said, Aux 1 corresponds to Input Bus 2 as AUM represent them. The button on the far right side of the input mixer lines in SB route the monitoring output, so you'll want to choose the Aux Output corresponding to the input (so that you can monitor your track with AUM). You should name each input group so that you can see which is which on the remote end.

The Main Input channels inside SonoBus comes from the input to the AUM track that you inserted the SonoBus plugin in, but you don't have to even use that those, in this example... we're just using Aux ins/outs for the multiple sources you want to send out.

Finally, select Send Multichannel in the selector at the top center of the SonoBus UI. Now, all of your channel groups you have set up in the input mixer will be sent independently, and you can route them separately on the receiving end on another machine running the SB plugin in a DAW, etc... all using only a single SonoBus instance on each side.

ON THE OTHER END

However, note that not all DAWs on the computer end can support the multi-bus outputs... or they might need special treatment. For instance, Reaper or Ableton Live both work fine and can access and route all the buses from the plugin without extra trouble. However, if you are using Logic on a mac, you will need to insert the SonoBus plugin on an Instrument track in the instrument plugin slot to get access to the multi-bus outputs. When you do this, you will see a little + down in the mixer, and pressing that gives you access to the additional buses. You also need to route audio internally in the SonoBus plugin to the Aux outputs... so if you are receiving multi-channels from the iOS end as described above, on the computer end you would expand the strip so you can see all the channel groups, and on the right side hit the button to select which Aux Output you want to route them to.

• @arktek said:
    OK. Got it to work. First test - I have the iPad and the MacBook connected via an Ethernet cable. I created a manual IP address for both of them so they are on the same subnet and so that I don't have to think about what address they are on. I opened the standalone application of Sonobus on the Mac and left it alone. I then opened Bitwig on the Mac and AUM on the iPad. Inserted a Sonobus instance on an audio channel in Bitwig and one in an AUM channel with an instance of Gauss as the sound source. Set my Ethernet addresses manually on both the Mac and the iPad so that they are in the same subnet. Pointed each inserted instance at the Mac Ethernet IP address with port 10999 (in this instance 192.168.9.2:10999) in the server field and hit connect on both of them. Audio received in Bitwig. Seems to be pretty clean on PCM 24 bit. Latency is around 15 to 16 each way. The jitter buffer is 13ms. So as a basic first test it works. I'll now go ahead and test multiple channels and sending from the Mac to the iPad which should just work I would think. Starting to get a little bit excited. 🙃
    I discovered that I don't need to actually do anything with the standalone app except open it to have it work as the server. I was prepared to build the SOO server from the Github source but it looks like I might not have to.
    The bonus part for the Ethernet connection is that I can run Ableton Link to sync things. Not sure what this will do to the audio connection, but that's part of the fun isn't it?

By the way you don't need to use the local connection server in your standalone version, no audio goes through it, it has no bearing on latency at all. You can use the default aoo.sonobus.net server with no ill effects if you are connected to the internet, which just means a bit less typing and IP address finding. The only advantage to using your own is no need to actually be on the internet.

• @sonosaurus : when you write "Next, in the SonoBus plugin UI, select the INPUT MIXER at the top, now you will want to create an input group for each of the sources you set up in AUM and routed into SonoBus's buses..."

When you say "sonobus plugin ui ", do you mean in the destination machine/host?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @sonosaurus : when you write "Next, in the SonoBus plugin UI, select the INPUT MIXER at the top, now you will want to create an input group for each of the sources you set up in AUM and routed into SonoBus's buses..."

When you say "sonobus plugin ui ", do you mean in the destination machine/host?

No, this is in the SonoBus running in the AUM track we just set up above on the iOS end.

• @sonosaurus : if using loopback mode to keep the signal on the same device, is there an advantage to using the local server so that you can use localhost and thus keep all packets internal without being sent through the router?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @sonosaurus : if using loopback mode to keep the signal on the same device, is there an advantage to using the local server so that you can use localhost and thus keep all packets internal without being sent through the router?

What is this "loopback" mode you are referring to? All audio is only ever going to go directly between the destinations in the group, if they are on the same machine they will not traverse any router, if they are on the same LAN it will stay direct within your LAN. The location of the connection server is irrelevant... it could actually be across the world and not affect anything because its sole purpose is to manage the addresses that go along with active groups... and it understands both local and public network addresses.... the local ones (your internal LAN addresses) will get used first no matter what.

• @sonosaurus said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @sonosaurus : if using loopback mode to keep the signal on the same device, is there an advantage to using the local server so that you can use localhost and thus keep all packets internal without being sent through the router?

What is this "loopback" mode you are referring to? All audio is only ever going to go directly between the destinations in the group, if they are on the same machine they will not traverse any router, if they are on the same LAN it will stay direct within your LAN. The location of the connection server is irrelevant... it could actually be across the world and not affect anything because its sole purpose is to manage the addresses that go along with active groups... and it understands both local and public network addresses.... the local ones (your internal LAN addresses) will get used first no matter what.

Re loopback. The addresses 127.0.0.1 and localhost are sometimes called the loopback address and tell the network handling drivers on a machine to keep the packets on the current machine. As I understand it, 127.0.0.1 and localhost can work slightly differently: https://www.pixelstech.net/article/1538275121-Difference-between-localhost-and-127-0-0-1

This is different from a computer sending a packet from a machine addressed to the machine's proper local address. In theory, there could be somewhat better performance using localhost than using 127.0.0.1 which could be somewhat better than sending from the machine to itself using its proper local IP address.

• edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@sonosaurus said:

@espiegel123 said:

Re loopback. The addresses 127.0.0.1 and localhost are sometimes called the loopback address and tell the network handling drivers on a machine to keep the packets on the current machine. As I understand it, 127.0.0.1 and localhost can work slightly differently: https://www.pixelstech.net/article/1538275121-Difference-between-localhost-and-127-0-0-1

This is different from a computer sending a packet from a machine addressed to the machine's proper local address. In theory, there could be somewhat better performance using localhost than using 127.0.0.1 which could be somewhat better than sending from the machine to itself using its proper local IP address.

I understand that, and I believe that any difference between the device routing to itself internally will be slim to vanishing in any meaningful real world way. But my question is how any of that relates to how you might use SonoBus. Or is this the hack you are using to get audio out of apps that can host AUv3 plugins but don’t have IAA or audiobus support?

EDIT: I guess it is, I haven’t looked at the OP in a while. Just to be clear the use of SonoBus for this purpose is an interesting sidenote but it’s not what it was designed for, so perhaps I should start a new thread where we discuss the more “normal” uses of SonoBus that I have been making reference to here in answering other people’s questions, to prevent any confusion.

• edited March 2021

• @sonosaurus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sonosaurus said:

@espiegel123 said:

I understand that, and I believe that any difference between the device routing to itself internally will be slim to vanishing in any meaningful real world way. But my question is how any of that relates to how you might use SonoBus. Or is this the hack you are using to get audio out of apps that can host AUv3 plugins but don’t have IAA or audiobus support?

EDIT: I guess it is, I haven’t looked at the OP in a while. Just to be clear the use of SonoBus for this purpose is an interesting sidenote but it’s not what it was designed for, so perhaps I should start a new thread where we discuss the more “normal” uses of SonoBus that I have been making reference to here in answering other people’s questions, to prevent any confusion.

For me, routing to the same machine is a way around Nanostudio 2's lack of audio tracks. I can route my guitar from AUM using Sonobus into Nanostudio 2 where I can record it into multitrack recorder.

It also lets people route audio into and out of GarageBand in ways one otherwise can't.

I realize that this isn't what Sonobus was intended for, but it is super useful.