Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Use SonoBus to expose DAW tracks to AUM

Comments

• Nice gadget @arktek, thanks for posting!

• @rs2000 it is a very reliable piece of gear and for the price remarkable value. I haven't had any issues with this over the last couple years of use. I have the 100Mbit version which is fine, but the 1Gbit version would be just as handy I would suppose. No drivers, just pure connection.

• @arktek said:
    @espiegel123 just saw this post...I've been using a DIGITECH USB 2 HUB: 3 USB ports and Ethernet port. No driver needed just works. Bought it from a local electronics shop for AUS$25 and it's been working a treat.
    It looks like this: I think you can get a gigabit version too.
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/usb-2-0-to-ethernet-adaptor-with-3-port-usb-hub/p/YN8407?pos=11&queryId=39f45d49552e54f0ab4639bf637e6e6e&sort=relevance

The manufacturer is Digitech.

Thanks for the tip. Have you tried it with SonoBus to see if it works well?

• @arktek said:
    @espiegel123 just saw this post...I've been using a DIGITECH USB 2 HUB: 3 USB ports and Ethernet port. No driver needed just works. Bought it from a local electronics shop for AUS$25 and it's been working a treat.
    It looks like this: I think you can get a gigabit version too.
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/usb-2-0-to-ethernet-adaptor-with-3-port-usb-hub/p/YN8407?pos=11&queryId=39f45d49552e54f0ab4639bf637e6e6e&sort=relevance

The manufacturer is Digitech.

I wonder if Digitech in Australia is a different company than the one in the U.S. I find similar products in the U.S. but not with that name.

• After some hunting, I found a report that the Anker USB 3 gigabit Ethernet adapter works on an iPad (the non-hub version). It is less than $20 U.S. The 3 port hub version is $29.95 but I haven’t found any reports as to whether it works well with the iPad.

I am curious as to whether the hubs work with the CCK (I.e. whether the lightning power provides enough to power the hub)

• I have ordered a single port one as this could be a GAME CHANGER!

• @NimboStratus said:
    I have ordered a single port one as this could be a GAME CHANGER!

Just making sure you know that you can record your stems in AUM all at the same time and then AirDrop the stem folder to your Mac? It is likely faster (with less latency and jitter worries) than getting SonoBus working for this use.

• @espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

Just making sure you know that you can record your stems in AUM all at the same time and then AirDrop the stem folder to your Mac? It is likely faster (with less latency and jitter worries) than getting SonoBus working for this use.

Been working with SonoBus a few times and even with some latency, it's a much better workflow than having to deal with the nonexistent iOS file management 😋
    You just record the audio track in your desktop DAW and it's there. Done.
    Tracking a realtime iOS performance without intermediate steps? Easy.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

Been working with SonoBus a few times and even with some latency, it's a much better workflow than having to deal with the nonexistent iOS file management 😋

This is exactly what I hoping for. I have a CAT6 1000 gbps network so hoping latency is going to be minimal! Will report back tomorrow. Very exciting times.

• edited March 2021

@NimboStratus said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

This is exactly what I hoping for. I have a CAT6 1000 gbps network so hoping latency is going to be minimal! Will report back tomorrow. Very exciting times.

IMHO the most important aspect of Sonobus is constant latency so all i have to do inside the desktop DAW is move the audio track a bit to the left until it aligns well.
    Try it and don't hesitate to report if latency fluctuates (jitter). 👍🏼

• When you say constant do you mean each track is in sync just all tracks are consistently out with anything already in Logic?

• @NimboStratus said:
    When you say constant do you mean each track is in sync just all tracks are consistently out with anything already in Logic?

Yes, that's the point 😊

• @rs2000 said:

@NimboStratus said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

IMHO the most important aspect of Sonobus is constant latency so all i have to do inside the desktop DAW is move the audio track a bit to the left until it aligns well.

With loopback (sending/listening on same machine ) and 24-bit uncompressed audio, I was getting jitter with range 10-20 ms. Not really noticeable but i did have some dropped samples in a three minute test which were audible enough that it would have been a problem in a serious recording. I need to test some more to see if that was a rare or common occurrence.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@NimboStratus said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

With loopback (sending/listening on same machine ) and 24-bit uncompressed audio, I was getting jitter with range 10-20 ms. Not really noticeable but i did have some dropped samples in a three minute test which were audible enough that it would have been a problem in a serious recording. I need to test some more to see if that was a rare or common occurrence.

WiFi or wired Ethernet?

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@NimboStratus said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

WiFi or wired Ethernet?

wifi but I am under the impression when you use localhost as the address that the packets should get looped back internally without being sent to the router though I didn't test to see if that is actually the case.

• edited March 2021

If there is a "sync'd constant" lag then no worries for me! I will say this....

1. This does look like an INSANELY COOL solution to my problem
    2. If it takes a basic £10 dongle to resolve my problem so be it! I can sell the Audiofuse!!!
    3. The Sonosbus support has been exceptional so far!
  • Actually, the Sonobus support is definitely good. I had a question regarding servers etc on a Saturday night. Emailed and had a response in my inbox next morning. @espiegel123 I am going to give this another go with the Ethernet cable and keeping things off the Internet today. I tried last night, but couldn’t get the plug-ins to see the server on the Mac. I think my addressing was out because I can send Ableton Link over the connection without any issue. The instruction is that the stand alone version works as a server as well, so you fire up the stand alone app on the Mac, aim the clients at the server’s machine address and add port 10999. Apparently this should work.
    I’ll update here once I’ve tried it out.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@NimboStratus said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:

WiFi or wired Ethernet?

wifi but I am under the impression when you use localhost as the address that the packets should get looped back internally without being sent to the router though I didn't test to see if that is actually the case.

Sorry you're right, I've skipped that part, my bad.
    Worth reporting without doubt.

@arktek, @NimboStratus: Yeah, Sonosaurus / Jesse's support has always been great all the time.

I tried last night, but couldn’t get the plug-ins to see the server on the Mac. I think my addressing was out because I can send Ableton Link over the connection without any issue. The instruction is that the stand alone version works as a server as well, so you fire up the stand alone app on the Mac, aim the clients at the server’s machine address and add port 10999. Apparently this should work.

Server and client must use the same port number(s) and the IP addresses must be correct, just a reminder...
    Ableton LINK uses rather small packets and it's optimized for getting members as phase coherent as possible.
    Sonobus is very different in that it has to scoop a lot more data over the network so the mechanism to keep timing intact is a much more challenging one, especially over WiFi.

For anyone experiencing issues with SonoBus, make sure you also check the forum:
    https://groups.google.com/g/sonobus-users

• OK. Got it to work. First test - I have the iPad and the MacBook connected via an Ethernet cable. I created a manual IP address for both of them so they are on the same subnet and so that I don't have to think about what address they are on. I opened the standalone application of Sonobus on the Mac and left it alone. I then opened Bitwig on the Mac and AUM on the iPad. Inserted a Sonobus instance on an audio channel in Bitwig and one in an AUM channel with an instance of Gauss as the sound source. Set my Ethernet addresses manually on both the Mac and the iPad so that they are in the same subnet. Pointed each inserted instance at the Mac Ethernet IP address with port 10999 (in this instance 192.168.9.2:10999) in the server field and hit connect on both of them. Audio received in Bitwig. Seems to be pretty clean on PCM 24 bit. Latency is around 15 to 16 each way. The jitter buffer is 13ms. So as a basic first test it works. I'll now go ahead and test multiple channels and sending from the Mac to the iPad which should just work I would think. Starting to get a little bit excited. 🙃
    I discovered that I don't need to actually do anything with the standalone app except open it to have it work as the server. I was prepared to build the SOO server from the Github source but it looks like I might not have to.
    The bonus part for the Ethernet connection is that I can run Ableton Link to sync things. Not sure what this will do to the audio connection, but that's part of the fun isn't it?

• Here is a test that I did to measure jitter. Perhaps you can try it.

• In AUM, set up an instance of ATOM (or other reliable sequencer) sending quarter notes to something like BeatHawk or other low latency sample player.
    • Insert Sonobus as an effect on the BeatHawk (or other sampler) channel to send it
    • Record enable that channel strip in AUM
    • On your Mac (for me I was sending from AUM to NS2 on my iPad where I had MTR installed), in your DAW, set up a receiver to receive from the iPad SonoBus instance.
    • Set up the DAW to be running at the same BPM
    • OPTIONAL: set up Ableton Link or MIDI Clock or some MIDI command on the iPad so that you can trigger recording to start at the same time. This is not absolutely necessary, but this is useful for determining the initial offset between AUM and the receiver.
    • do what needs to be done so that AUM will start playing (and recording) and your Mac will start recording.
    • Record for several minutes.

Now, you have an audio file on your Mac and an audio file in AudioShare. Open them both in a sample editor that lets you switch between a tempo-based via and a time view.

Compare the initial offset between the first note recorded in both files. This gives you your initial offset.

Trim the any offset before the first beat from both files. If your sample editor can be set up to line up the files (I used Auditor on the iPad because it is awesome for this). Zoom in so that you can scan through the file and see if there is any variance in the file recorded on the Mac.

The file I recorded in AUM was spot on from start to finish with no variation. The file recorded in NS2 varied a little bit. Not enough to hear any flams but you could see that there was some variation in that file not seen in the other file. In Auditor, both files get zoomed and scrolled together so it is easy to see where things don’t line up.

As I said the jitter was totally acceptable. The only glitch was a one time event where a few samples seemed to have been lost.

• My USB ethernet adaptor arrives today. I'll try multi channel from AUM into Logic. There would appear to be two ways to handle the multichannel aspect of this

1. Multiple instances on SB on each AUM track logging into different SB groups, so AUM track 1 SB logs into group1, 2 into 2 etc. Then a SB FX slot plugin on each Logic track, each logging into the individual groups - i.e. group1, etc

2. Jesse alluded to a better way of doing it so you have just one instance of SB on either side but waiting to hear back how to do it.

• @espiegel123 SonoBus uses version 2 of AoO, the Audio over OSC library. I've just checked the repo and found this:

• aoo_sink buffer helps to deal with network jitter, packet reordering and packet loss at the cost of latency. The size can be adjusted dynamically.
    • aoo_sink can ask the source(s) to resend dropped packets, the settings are free adjustable.

It would be good to know if SonoBus can use these features, I haven't found anything in the settings.

• Here's how to do the Logic routing part!

• I tried to connect my iPhone and my iPad both running sonobus in AUM. I can get connected with local IP address but sonobus claims that ‚the other end is muted‘ although I didn’t mute anything. The worst is that I could find no way to unmute. What am I doing wrong?

• @krassmann said:
    I tried to connect my iPhone and my iPad both running sonobus in AUM. I can get connected with local IP address but sonobus claims that ‚the other end is muted‘ although I didn’t mute anything. The worst is that I could find no way to unmute. What am I doing wrong?

So you have SonoBus running in AUM as an effect and logged into the same group? Check both ends as there is a MUTE button on both.

• edited March 2021

Ah man, the ethernet adapter needs too much power! Back it goes, does a powered one exist?!

• edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    After some hunting, I found a report that the Anker USB 3 gigabit Ethernet adapter works on an iPad (the non-hub version). It is less than $20 U.S. The 3 port hub version is $29.95 but I haven’t found any reports as to whether it works well with the iPad.

I am curious as to whether the hubs work with the CCK (I.e. whether the lightning power provides enough to power the hub)

The one I got doesn't have enough power for my iPAD! Cannot seem to find one that is powered. Back to square ZERO.

• My hub works great with the CCK and this provides enough power to connect my Arturia minilab MKII and an external drive and the Ethernet works great. The Ethernet part will run without needing extra power when I don't have anything else plugged in - just tested it to make sure. Biggest issue I have is the 4 year old battery in the iPad is starting to go downhill fast, but that's not related to the Ethernet connector.

• @arktek which one do you have?

• edited March 2021

@espiegel123 gave it a bit of a whirl and it looks pretty decent. I don't think auditor likes me very much so I'll try some other editor tomorrow, but from what I can see and from what I was monitoring it seems pretty decent. In Bitwig the waveforms seem to be pretty consistent. There is a little bit of drift, but it's within the ballpark. I used a kick in GR - 16 so the waveform is reasonable. Might try something a little sharper tomorrow as in a hat or something.