Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What Powered USB-C Hub are you using?

Comments

• Why do they all have such a short cable?

• @drcongo said:
    Why do they all have such a short cable?

Yeah, it’s BS. I had to buy a short extension and a 90’ angled adapter. I feel like I’m spending all my money on dongles.

• @drcongo said:

Good question. I think it comes out from laptops. Usually, you don't need some more macaroni on your desk surface (no way, you'll have it). But with an iPad or any other tablet, it's a different situation. We need lossless cables; I mean power and the data. And it's not so easy to get them, especially if you look for more than 20 inches extension cord.
    I remember, when I got a cheapo, 6 feet long USB-Lighting cord, and the battery in the iPad 6th gen was going down, while charging!
    I use short 20 inches long extension cord from Manhattan and Unitec.

• @drcongo said:

My last hub failed when it developed an electrical short in the chintzy hard-wired short cable that most of these type of devices are equipped with. I'd sometimes have my laptop on a stand and the hub would dangle with the weight of all the other cables attached. That put a lot of stress on the USB C connection point. It was an instant buy for me when I saw the UNI 8-in-1 hub that came with a detachable cable. I can use any length cable I want. I use a longer cable at home where I place the hub and all the unsightly cables out of view. In the future, if a cable goes bad, I just toss it, not the hub. It works great with my iPad Pro and MOTU M2 combo.

Here's the Amazon link if anyone cares. Link

• That would be perfect if it had a headphone hole, I’ll have to see if they do variants. I also use a laptop on a stand so all these 2” cable things would be useless on two devices.

• @Todd_M That sounds great. Maybe these designers are starting to recognize that there are uses beyond "laptop dock" for their devices. I notice that the Amazon description warns against using a different cable. What cable are you using, and how did you select it?

• edited January 2021

Nucleum plus this;
    https://amazon.ca/gp/product/B07X91644V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    works for me but what an octopus of dongles.

• https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerexpand-direct-6in1-usbc-pd-media-hub/A83620A1

Just got this a month ago. Seems good so far. Only thing I don't like is that it makes a very loud noise through your headphones when you plug them in. > @boberto said:

So wait, sorry to be naive here but with my "old" powered hubs they all always came with their own power adapters. [Almost] None of these have their own power adapters? I have to separately purchase a USB-C Power Plug that is rated more than the 20W one the iPad came with? (Sorry if this is obvious to you, in my mind it's the difference between a "powered" and "non-powered" hub.) So that means I need 3 purchases - a hub, a power supply, and a USB-C_to_C cable to go to a PD-power-pass-thru-port... (◕⌓◕;)

@NoiseHorse said:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DW646GY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_qgD-FbKZX1BMY
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWP3F3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_LhD-Fb2VASXW4
    Apanage 11 port and also the HyperDrive 6 in 1 kind of a double-hub deal but it works nice. This is for my Air 4. My interface is a Motu M2.

1. I'm confused, what does the 11-port hub have to do with anything? Wouldn't I just get the HyperDrive and plug my audio interface into the USB port on that? Or does the 11-port thingy somehow also provide power to the HyperDrive? Basically, what is providing the power for charging the iPad?
    2. $70? Ahjeez. I guess you get what you pay for but only 1 usb port is kinda weak at that pricepoint.
    3. Per what @sharkytowers asked - iOS only likes to handle one "external" audio input/output at a time so sometimes with an adapter with a 3.5" jack, the iPad will start forgetting about one connected via USB and flip flop between the outputs. Do you ever have audio interrupt/hardware issues and have to reconnect things because the HyperDrive has it's own headphone jack?

@supadom said:
    I had Lention with presumed power delivery but it wasn’t charging the iPad for some reason. Sent it back. I’m using this one at the moment and it works great.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0872V922X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the Lention warning. I'll cross those off the list above. Sadly, the one you linked isn't available on US Amazon (well, or UK amz for that matter). Clearly Vemont just does rebranding so I guess I can only keep an eye out for one with a matching spec+photo.

@uncledave said:
    I'm surprised you didn't get the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Honestly - I literally did not know that existed (Apple stores are all closed) and now it would be $70 in the hole. Might as well upgrade I guess. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

So you connect a USB-C_to_USB-C cable from your iPad into one of that hub's USB-C ports? Because I would think you need to plug it into the master/host port (the one with the funky stacked connector) on the other side. So does that charge the iPad while you use it? Or do you have more adapters in between your iPad and the hub?

How do you power your Nucleum? Let us know if the Powlaken one works out for you. Certainly seems well reviewed as far as iPad use goes. As for suggestions - USB is made to be daisy chained, just add another hub to your hub.

@mojozart said:
    Nucleum

What are you using for a power adapter?

@DMan said:
    I have the HooToo one

So what you're saying is that you haven't actually used the HooToo hub with the iPad as a host, only with the iPad attached as a device for your mac? And you bought a separate power supply just for it? (Personally I actually prefer to not have something form fit like the Hyperdrive because that little dongle is a lot easier to plug into anything else with a USB-C port + you don't have to worry about your dealing with your iPad's case if you have one.)

1. (aka https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VRG55W/)
    2. Any issues with the iPadOS getting confused between the hub's audio input/output and the plugged in USB audio interface's inputs/outputs?
    3. What are you using to power and charge the iPad?
    4. (Thanks for the YT-content!)

My pleasure! You just plug the iPads charger into the USB C socket in the Anker. If I have my audio interface connected I always just put my headphones through it rather than tje Anker, but I can maybe experiment later and let you know

• edited January 2021

Thinking of getting the Anker:
    https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerexpand-direct-6in1-usbc-pd-media-hub/A83620A1

Been trying to pour over this thread and it seems like this has the best all around features for the money. Particularly appealing since it has an audio port. Curious @Gavinski (or anyone else) if you would choose this Anker again today knowing what you know :) ?

• Those ones that sit flush to the iPad give me port strain fear. I have a few Anker products though and find them to be pretty decent.

• @drcongo said:
    Those ones that sit flush to the iPad give me port strain fear. I have a few Anker products though and find them to be pretty decent.

:) @drcongo port strain fear I fear as well. I wonder if some design are secure enough to not worry about that...

• @uncledave said:
    @Todd_M That sounds great. Maybe these designers are starting to recognize that there are uses beyond "laptop dock" for their devices. I notice that the Amazon description warns against using a different cable. What cable are you using, and how did you select it?

I just quickly tested with a 6’ going from the iPad to the hub and a 3’ going from the hub to the M2. This works with and without pass thru power. I’m not sure if issues will arise in the future due to the extended length. Seems fine for now.

• @Todd_M said:

@uncledave said:
    @Todd_M That sounds great. Maybe these designers are starting to recognize that there are uses beyond "laptop dock" for their devices. I notice that the Amazon description warns against using a different cable. What cable are you using, and how did you select it?

I just quickly tested with a 6’ going from the iPad to the hub and a 3’ going from the hub to the M2. This works with and without pass thru power. I’m not sure if issues will arise in the future due to the extended length. Seems fine for now.

Thanks. I was actually wondering about the specific type of cable. Apparently, a USB-C cable must include a special chip to enable fast charging. Did you select your cables specially? Or are they intended as charging cables, so they are good by default? Just trying to clarify for any potential users, because being able to separate the hub from the iPad is frequently desired in this forum.

• @uncledave said:

@Todd_M said:

@uncledave said:

Thanks. I was actually wondering about the specific type of cable. Apparently, a USB-C cable must include a special chip to enable fast charging. Did you select your cables specially? Or are they intended as charging cables, so they are good by default? Just trying to clarify for any potential users, because being able to separate the hub from the iPad is frequently desired in this forum.

Here’s a link to the 6’ USB C cable I ordered from Amazon to use with the M2. Link

Honestly I didn’t give much thought to the cable when I ordered it. Got lucky I guess.

• @Todd_M said:

@uncledave said:

@Todd_M said:

@uncledave said:

Here’s a link to the 6’ USB C cable I ordered from Amazon to use with the M2. Link

Honestly I didn’t give much thought to the cable when I ordered it. Got lucky I guess.

Great. The description emphasizes Power Delivery, and I guess that's the key.

• edited January 2021

Hi @boberto, have you had a chance to check out the HooToo yet? Curious your thoughts on it. I'd be curious if USB-C headphones might work with this hub?

• @gkillmaster said:
    Thinking of getting the Anker:
    https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerexpand-direct-6in1-usbc-pd-media-hub/A83620A1

Been trying to pour over this thread and it seems like this has the best all around features for the money. Particularly appealing since it has an audio port. Curious @Gavinski (or anyone else) if you would choose this Anker again today knowing what you know :) ?

Only got it a month ago, so what I wrote above is what I know now Greg lol. Seems good so far.

• @boberto said:
    Thanks for the info all...

Looks like I'll try the following combo and will report back if there's anything worth noting...

Wanted to post a follow up:

1. Ya don’t need that 10ft cable for the power supply as it comes with its own 6’? Cable. Whoops.

2. HooToo and ZMI = ACES✅✅✅. Full details is that I’m plugging a Tascam 2x2 Interface as well as a Alesis VI25 Controller into it, and plugging that into the iPad. The above combo powers all 3 devices, no need for separate power adapters. The Tascam handles DIN MIDI IN/OUT as well as audio in and out (via lines send). 100% Would buy again and can recommend. 👍🏼👌🏼🤘🏼

• @gkillmaster said:
    Hi @boberto, have you had a chance to check out the HooToo yet? Curious your thoughts on it. I'd be curious if USB-C headphones might work with this hub?

See above. In terms of it being a relatively universal connector, I don’t it see a problem but I can’t comment about the headphones directly because iOS is just fussy about multiple audio devices so if you have another audio interface as well as your headphones, you may have an issue.

• @boberto said:

@gkillmaster said:

See above. In terms of it being a relatively universal connector, I don’t it see a problem but I can’t comment about the headphones directly because iOS is just fussy about multiple audio devices so if you have another audio interface as well as your headphones, you may have an issue.

Thanks for reporting back @boberto ! Does it do a decent job of charging? I assume you plug your iPad charger into the 100W power port?

• The charger I listed plugs into the HooToo via usb-C, the other gear plugs into the HooToo via USB-A, and the HooToo plugs into the iPad.

It charges the iPad but the actual charging rate I can’t speak to because I’ve only cared that it isn’t losing charge while I’m performing/streaming.

• I assume you can use any charger that charges the iPad including the charger that comes with the iPad, right?

• @gkillmaster said:
    I assume you can use any charger that charges the iPad including the charger that comes with the iPad, right?

WELL... I intentionally went ahead and upgraded the power supply so I could power other external devices. As per other messages on this thread YMMV, so I went ahead and ordered the one I linked to because I already knew that was my use case.

• @boberto said:

@gkillmaster said:
    I assume you can use any charger that charges the iPad including the charger that comes with the iPad, right?

WELL... I intentionally went ahead and upgraded the power supply so I could power other external devices. As per other messages on this thread YMMV, so I went ahead and ordered the one I linked to because I already knew that was my use case.

I see, thank you!

• @gkillmaster said:

These hubs take several watts of power themselves. The ads usually show how much power they suck off. And of course the connected gear needs power too. So the basic iPad charger is likely too small to do a good job.

• Does anyone know if you can get one of these things that has both audio in and out, as well as power delivery? I'm not entirely sure that's what I actually need, but like the idea of being able to sample from an input on it, while also using the audio out either to speakers or cans.

• @boberto said:

Wanted to post a follow up:

1. Ya don’t need that 10ft cable for the power supply as it comes with its own 6’? Cable. Whoops.

2. HooToo and ZMI = ACES✅✅✅. Full details is that I’m plugging a Tascam 2x2 Interface as well as a Alesis VI25 Controller into it, and plugging that into the iPad. The above combo powers all 3 devices, no need for separate power adapters. The Tascam handles DIN MIDI IN/OUT as well as audio in and out (via lines send). 100% Would buy again and can recommend. 👍🏼👌🏼🤘🏼

I almost ordered this then suddenly realized that it only has one USB-C port and its a charging port. My iConnectMIDI is USB-C data so I wouldn't able to use this with my setup. And same with the Anker that @Gavinski recommended. I could go with the Kingston Nucleum, but it's still missing an audio port. Kinda hard to find a hub that will satisfy all my requirements. I may choose to go with the Kingston Nucleum and use the USB-C data port with my MIDI interface while using my desktop and DAW there and using my USB-C earbuds when I not hooking it up through my desktop. Wish I could find a reasonably priced hub that would do it all!. Spent entirely too much time trying to sort through this :)

• I ended up getting the Anker that @Gavinski recommended and I'm glad I did. All the ports work as I hoped. I do get the loud crackling sound as well when I plug in my headset! Also, I can use it off to the side just using a USB-C extension cable. Works great and feels solid. Very happy overall.

• I bought this little one at Best Buy Canada. Works flawlessly. It is meant to be used with a case.
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kopplen-4-port-usb-3-0-type-c-hub-hub-c11sgr/14951021

• @drcongo said:

check out this one:
    https://www.lention.com/collections/usb-c-hub/products/lention-usb-c-multi-port-hub-cbtpc35h
    works with my 12inch MacBook (1st Gen) and my Lenovo Surface clone.
    Can't say anything about iPads because I'm still living in lightning-land.
    cheers