Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Menu mixer

Comments

• That's why I always leave turbosound in the background to lower the latency when using real-time music applications, the funny thing is that it affects all applications

• why don't you talk to the developer of turbosound, and ask him his secret?

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

@Agapito1 said:
    why don't you talk to the developer of turbosound, and ask him his secret?

"Hello Mr. Developer. I'm a maker of a competing product. Would you mind please telling me the secret of your app so that people won't need your miracle app any longer?" Yeh, that's gonna go well. ;)
    [edit: Sorry for the satire. I didn't realize this is some kind of app for Accordion when I wrote that. Not really a competing app at all.]

I have a very hard time believing there's anything to this other than maybe some kind of placebo effect. It would be interesting to see the waveforms recorded from the audio out with and without the app. I doubt there will be any empirical evidence of a difference. But ... stranger things have happened I suppose.

• Whatever app is opened first sets the audio latency. If you have Audiobus set to 256 buffers for instance and start it up alone, then audio will run at 256 buffers. However, if you open Turbosounds first and set it for 64 buffers, then open Audiobus, Audiobus will run at 64 buffers.

Try setting Audiobus to 64 buffers. If you do that then I believe it'll sound the same whether Turbosounds is running or not. If you still think you hear a difference ... yeh, well, sorry, I just don't believe it. Not that you need to convince me. If you're happy then that's all that matters. B)

• edited January 2021

Okay, I just did a test here with a Bluetooth keyboard I have - I hooked up the keyboard to the Ripplemaker AU via Audiobus, and recorded the sound of my finger hitting the keyboard and the sound coming from the iPad, then measured the latency between the keyboard hit and the tone coming from Ripplemaker, averaged over 5 notes.

With Audiobus alone, set to 64 frames - 0.05306576 seconds
    Audiobus with TurboSound in the background (TurboSound launched first and set to 1.5ms latency = 64 frames) - 0.057179138 seconds

So, no difference here.

• I only share my experience, and if I can think of something how to demonstrate it, I will comment on it, for now let's make music

• @Agapito1 said:
    I only share my experience, and if I can think of something how to demonstrate it, I will comment on it, for now let's make music

Cool!

• I havent managed to run midi wrench or midi spy yet BUT on the fault generally I have noticed that it doesn’t happen if the phone is not connected to the MIDI USB lead but is just unplugged from the charge and MIDI input - does that help? Having the USB MIDI plugged in is doing something to either the sustain or the note offs...lemmee see what else I can come up with

• edited January 2021

@moz said:
    I havent managed to run midi wrench or midi spy yet BUT on the fault generally I have noticed that it doesn’t happen if the phone is not connected to the MIDI USB lead but is just unplugged from the charge and MIDI input - does that help? Having the USB MIDI plugged in is doing something to either the sustain or the note offs...lemmee see what else I can come up with

What fault are we talking about @moz? Do you mean the sustain thing? That’s fixed now...or should be.

• @Agapito1 said:
    Another problem that I saw, is that when you open two midi inputs, the second one does not work

I routinely use 2 MIDI keyboards and a MIDI controller, and they all work. Each MIDI input is in its own "lane", and the outputs are directed accordingly. You can send the output from two lanes to the same AUv3 app (not sure about IAA).

How are you trying to use two MIDI inputs? Can you post a screenshot of the MIDI setup screen?

• Another time it is with the korg module, I did not receive the midi volume control by au, those from korg need a person like Michel

• edited January 2021

@Agapito1 said:

@uncledave said:

@Michael said:
    Okay, update is out. Let me know how you go.

"Works for me." How'd you get that past review so fast? Michael magic, I guess.

@Agapito1 I think you may have some other problems, not fixed by this. You could try starting separate threads for them.

very good job, you deserve a 10, it's already perfect, and you can continue with the santa claus list, the MF spliter does not save the changes when loading a new session, it is with you or with the MF spliter developer

I tried setting up MF Splitter, and it worked, with one small problem. I split my keyboard as shown

The split is around middle C, with each side translated up/down one octave, so they overlap. I saved an AudioBus preset and exited everything. When I reopened AudioBus and tried to load the preset, I got this

The "i" popup suggests that network permission is required, but it was already granted. It turns out that, if you open MF Splitter (stand-alone) first, then open AudioBus and restore the preset, it works perfectly, as it should. My first picture, showing the split, was taken after restoring. You just need to open MF Splitter, then press the Home button, and start AudioBus. This is on iPad 6, iPadOS 14.3.

@Agapito1, you say "when loading a new session". I don't think MF Splitter is meant to remember how you configured it previously, so it starts with nothing every time. However, you could try saving an AudioBus preset with just your keyboard and the splits. You could load that as a starting point for whatever you want to do.

• @Agapito1 said:
    Another problem that I saw, is that when you open two midi inputs, the second one does not work

I could not reproduce this. Here's what I tried:

First, my normal configuration, with each MIDI source in a different lane

The second and third both go to the same instance of SoundFonts. Second, two keyboards in one lane

They are configured on different MIDI channels (1 and 2) in hardware, and are going to the venerable Music Studio, where MIDI is set to Tracks. This sends channel 1 to the instrument on Track 1, channel 2 to Track 2, and they both work fine.

Could you post the MIDI screen for your configuration that does not work?

• @Agapito1 said:
    Another time it is with the korg module, I did not receive the midi volume control by au, those from korg need a person like Michel

The Module AU may not be listening for MIDI CCs, only notes. You could use the AudioBus MIDI mapping to assign a controller to Module volume. Or simply use the level slider in the AudioBus mixer.

• Thanks so much for the help @uncledave !

• Yes, thanks uncleclave, I'm just checking the native functions, for example I noticed that the korg gadget 2 module, In iphone or ipad the change of midi volume in the module Fairbanks does not work, and the Salzburg module does not work the sustain on iphone on ipad yes

• @Agapito1 said:
    Yes, thanks uncleclave, I'm just checking the native functions, for example I noticed that the korg gadget 2 module, In iphone or ipad the change of midi volume in the module Fairbanks does not work, and the Salzburg module does not work the sustain on iphone on ipad yes

Don't forget you can also change the output volume of the modules

• @Michael I tried the latest update (3.4.26) with my saved MF Splitter preset. It now starts MF Splitter successfully, but does not restore the state, so I get an empty splitter. If I start MF Splitter first, like before, then start AudioBus and restore the preset, it works as it should.

• @uncledave said:
    @Michael I tried the latest update (3.4.26) with my saved MF Splitter preset. It now starts MF Splitter successfully, but does not restore the state, so I get an empty splitter. If I start MF Splitter first, like before, then start AudioBus and restore the preset, it works as it should.

I guess that's probably the way to go then, for now, starting MF Splitter first. That's a third-party app that I don't have any control over, I'm afraid; I plan to replace its functionality, but I'm intent on shipping Loopy Pro first.

• @Michael said:

@uncledave said:
    @Michael I tried the latest update (3.4.26) with my saved MF Splitter preset. It now starts MF Splitter successfully, but does not restore the state, so I get an empty splitter. If I start MF Splitter first, like before, then start AudioBus and restore the preset, it works as it should.

I guess that's probably the way to go then, for now, starting MF Splitter first. That's a third-party app that I don't have any control over, I'm afraid; I plan to replace its functionality, but I'm intent on shipping Loopy Pro first.

Right. It's funny because MF Splitter is obviously AudioBus-aware, but it seems to require a separate start, like other non-AudioBus IAAs. Common wisdom in this forum is that starting IAA separately always works better. But I've learned that letting AudioBus start Music Studio works much better that starting it stand-alone. In stand-alone, it sees all available MIDI sources, with no way of selecting one, other than by MIDI channel, of course. When started by AB, it sees only AudioBus MIDI, which I can freely route from AB. So, starting IAA stand-alone works better, except when it doesn't.

Actually, StreamByter is a reliable AUv3 replacement for MF Splitter. It just doesn't have a very nice GUI, though some cases (single split/transpose) could probably be implemented with its built-in menu scheme.

• Hi Michel, I'm already using audiobus, and I already found a way to show what I told you about the minimum delay when executing the turbosounds of accordion application at the same time, if it would interest you for your work or just to know?

• @Agapito1 said:
    Hi Michel, I'm already using audiobus, and I already found a way to show what I told you about the minimum delay when executing the turbosounds of accordion application at the same time, if it would interest you for your work or just to know?

Oh, wonderful! Yes, please do!

• Hello Michel, I already tried with 2 iphone to see the latency of the turbosound, and the truth if I fool myself alone, an apology for having hallucinations

• @Agapito1 said:
    Hello Michel, I already tried with 2 iphone to see the latency of the turbosound, and the truth if I fool myself alone, an apology for having hallucinations

😄 Happens to the best of us!

• One question, because the turbosound function of allow audio from other apps works for me with the Imidi and Midiflow application, you will know something about it

• I already saw, the MF spliter in iphone if it saves the configuration in ipad no

• @Agapito1 said:
    I already saw, the MF spliter in iphone if it saves the configuration in ipad no

My steps that worked:

• Create an AudioBus preset using MF Splitter, configured as you need.
    • Next time, start MF Splitter first.
    • Then, start AudioBus and Load the preset. MF Splitter will be correct.

You must start MF Splitter first for this to work. If you do not, AudioBus will start MF Splitter, but it will not connect properly.

• @uncledave said:

@Agapito1 said:
    I already saw, the MF spliter in iphone if it saves the configuration in ipad no

My steps that worked:

You must start MF Splitter first for this to work. If you do not, AudioBus will start MF Splitter, but it will not connect properly.

Well, I already made an error update to ios 14.3 and it does not want to connect with audiobus on my iphone, the ipad I have it on ios 12.3 with less problems

• @Agapito1 said:

@uncledave said:

@Agapito1 said:

My steps that worked:

Well, I already made an error update to ios 14.3 and it does not want to connect with audiobus on my iphone, the ipad I have it on ios 12.3 with less problems

The steps I described work on iPadOS 14.3.

You need to begin by starting MF Splitter first, and allow network access. Then force-quit it and start again.