Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Menu mixer

Comments

• @Samu said:

@Agapito1 said:
    Let me do it as you ask, because I hope to use the audiobus without problems, in the korg module the split or dual mode does not work and they do not pay attention in any medium

If I'm not mistaken Korg Module Pro's split & dual modes are only available in the stand-alone app.
    When using the AUv3 the dual / split mode is not available, it's by design.

To layer & split sounds use two instances of the AUv3.

Cheers!

That's how I used it in stadalone mode and it doesn't do what it should, that's why I switched to audiobus

• edited January 2021

Haha quite right guys - but actually at the bottom there are a few notes that don’t seem to get a note off (on with 0 vel), which is presumably after the mixer changed. Definitely something awry!

• edited January 2021

I was able to reproduce this with the very simple setup shown below, using the SoundFonts AUv3 and my Keystation mini32. As soon as I adjusted the volume slider on the keyboard, the "meter" stuck on high, and no note offs were sent, as shown by MIDISpy. The instrument (piano) responded accordingly, every note held until it naturally faded.

• edited January 2021

I read the AB3 manual (again) and discovered a fun fact. Double tap on the volume slider for the MIDI source resets it to the default, and restores sending note off messages. The first time I tried this, the "meter" eventually returned to normal as well. The second time, it stayed stuck forever, though note off was working. So, this glitch is associated with scaling the note velocities when the slider is adjusted.

Edit: My keyboard, like the OP's, sends note on with velocity zero instead of note off. I suspect that's significant.

• Ah-hah. Okay, issue fixed - update will be out in a day or so. Sorry about the hassle guys - I dunno how this one slipped through (and no idea how it wasn't caught earlier!!).

• @Michael said:
    Ah-hah. Okay, issue fixed - update will be out in a day or so. Sorry about the hassle guys - I dunno how this one slipped through (and no idea how it wasn't caught earlier!!).

I think: no one adjusts the volume slider on the MIDI source. Certainly, I never have, and I use AB whenever I play. I may tweak the audio levels sometimes, especially if the output is too loud, but never the MIDI.

• @uncledave said:

@Michael said:
    Ah-hah. Okay, issue fixed - update will be out in a day or so. Sorry about the hassle guys - I dunno how this one slipped through (and no idea how it wasn't caught earlier!!).

I think: no one adjusts the volume slider on the MIDI source. Certainly, I never have, and I use AB whenever I play. I may tweak the audio levels sometimes, especially if the output is too loud, but never the MIDI.

Yeah could be. And all the hardware we tested with uses note offs rather than a velocity zero note on.

• @Michael said:

@uncledave said:

@Michael said:

Yeah could be. And all the hardware we tested with uses note offs rather than a velocity zero note on.

Let me guess. You accidentally reduced the velocity on the note-on/0 to a negative number? ;)

• @wim said:

@Michael said:

@uncledave said:

@Michael said:

Let me guess. You accidentally reduced the velocity on the note-on/0 to a negative number? ;)

Not quite that silly, but I drop 0-velocity note ons after applying scaling; I swear I originally accounted for 0 note ons before, but either it vanished during a refactor or I was misremembering and it was an oversight from the beginning. Silly!

• Okay, update is out. Let me know how you go.

• @Michael said:
    Okay, update is out. Let me know how you go.

"Works for me." How'd you get that past review so fast? Michael magic, I guess.

@Agapito1 I think you may have some other problems, not fixed by this. You could try starting separate threads for them.

• @uncledave said:

@Michael said:

Cool =) Actually, App Store review is super fast these days

• @uncledave said:

@Michael said:

@Agapito1 I think you may have some other problems, not fixed by this. You could try starting separate threads for them.

very good job, you deserve a 10, it's already perfect, and you can continue with the santa claus list, the MF spliter does not save the changes when loading a new session, it is with you or with the MF spliter developer

• @Michael said:

Like a boss. Nice work everyone!

• One question, because the application turbosound for accordion can lower latency more and has a control for latency and affects all applications including audiobus 3

• @Agapito1 said:

@uncledave said:

@Michael said:

very good job, you deserve a 10, it's already perfect, and you can continue with the santa claus list, the MF spliter does not save the changes when loading a new session, it is with you or with the MF spliter developer

That's really a question for MF Splitter. If you save an AudioBus preset, AudioBus collects the state data from the AudioBus-enabled apps, saves it, and later restores it. MF Splitter may need to update to the latest AudioBus SDK (software library). @Michael could comment on this. I'll look at this myself mañana.

• @Agapito1 said:
    One question, because the application turbosound for accordion can lower latency more and has a control for latency and affects all applications including audiobus 3

Okay - what was the question? AB also has latency controls, down to 64 frames (which is 1.5ms at 44,100kHz)

• I would like audiobus to have that latency of 1.5 ms and the independence of other applications, if the audiobus had this, it would be the top of improvements to the application

• @uncledave said:

@Agapito1 said:

@uncledave said:

@Michael said:

That's really a question for MF Splitter. If you save an AudioBus preset, AudioBus collects the state data from the AudioBus-enabled apps, saves it, and later restores it. MF Splitter may need to update to the latest AudioBus SDK (software library). @Michael could comment on this. I'll look at this myself mañana.

Yeah, I'd say this is an MF Splitter issue.

I'll be introducing built-in MIDI splitting functionality sooner or later, but right now I'm working on getting Loopy Pro shipped, so it'll be a little while, I'm afraid.

• @Agapito1 said:
    I would like audiobus to have that latency of 1.5 ms and the independence of other applications, if the audiobus had this, it would be the top of improvements to the application

Yep, Audiobus has this. Just select "64 Frames" for the latency setting.

• @Agapito1 said:
    I would like audiobus to have that latency of 1.5 ms and the independence of other applications, if the audiobus had this, it would be the top of improvements to the application

...and if you're satisfied, please update your 2 star review on the App Store =)

• I don't know why, but when I run the tubosound application in the background, it lowers the latency of audiobuos a little more and all the audio ones, for example I use the Midiflow application and it adds latency to my sound modules, but when executing the turbosound is corrected and latency is lowered

• if you can see the turbosound code I recommend it

• @Agapito1 said:
    I don't know why, but when I run the tubosound application in the background, it lowers the latency of audiobuos a little more and all the audio ones, for example I use the Midiflow application and it adds latency to my sound modules, but when executing the turbosound is corrected and latency is lowered

Okay... what does this look like in Audiobus? How do you know it's been lowered? Do you mean it's lowering it to 32 frames (0.72ms)?

• but anyway thank you very much for fixing the mixer problem

• Another problem that I saw, is that when you open two midi inputs, the second one does not work

• Well, playing you feel the difference, it is almost imperceptible but since I am a super musician, hahaha, just kidding, but if you feel the difference when running turbosound in the background, I don't know if you will have something to measure playing the note and the time when you listen?

• Well, I also compare it to my p45 piano when listening to the ipad and the yamaha piano at the same time

• edited January 2021

@Agapito1 said:
    Well, playing you feel the difference, it is almost imperceptible but since I am a super musician, hahaha, just kidding, but if you feel the difference when running turbosound in the background, I don't know if you will have something to measure playing the note and the time when you listen?

Hmm. I'm skeptical...I just tried Turbosound here and it's just setting the hardware to 64 frames, which is exactly what Audiobus does. I dunno, I don't really have any theories. Sure it's not imagined? ;-)

• Well, there is a very small perceptible difference when using at the same time the yamaha piano with its sound and the ipad with audiobus or korg standalone and the turbosound in the background by removing and putting it on