Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2021 Desktop Plugins/Samples Sales List

Comments

• @ahallam
    Thanks for the info. I'll set up my 2012 mini, with Bitwig.

• If you own or buy the new Mercury-4 you can get the new Echo effect for even cheaper at $10. They synth is still on sale too for $39. So $49 total for both!

cherryaudio.com

• @horsetrainer said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:
    But I would also rather need a new computer then anything else. The MBP 2012 works but it's a little limited.

Mac mini 2012 here so I feel you bro. It's pimped up to the max, but when I try to sneak in multiple instances of Kontakt, Logic audibly snorts at me 🤷.

I was already considering the M1 mini, but the fact that there's zero chance of upgrading it later held me back, plus plugin compatibility is still not offered by a lot of manufacturers. I'm banking on the next M1x iteration now, at least until it turns out they don't release it this year :)

Speaking of the 2012 Mac mini.... I just bought a used one that I want to use for sound design experiments, wavetable, and sample editing. It's the 2.5 ghz model.

I've collected a few lite Daw versions over the years that I've never tried.

I've got Ableton lite, Bitwig, MultitrackStudio lite, and Tracktion Waveform Free.
    Which of these lite Daws might be the least resource demanding to run on the 2012 mini?

I primarily want to use Vital Wavetable synth, VCV Rack, the Full Bucket Synths, and experiment with some of the other open source synths like Surge. I want to use Audacity as an editor.

My old 2011 mini gets too hot running just Vital, so I'm hoping to at least be able to use one of the Daws as a VST host on the 2012.

I'm not looking to use this for recording songs. If I record it will be for use as wavetable and samples in sound design. I really just want to use the 2012 for sound design and as a synth.

Any advice?

Also for any who like old mac mini's.
    I can't believe I was able to buy a nearly mint condition 2012 mini for only $120US.
    I found it on a site called renewedmacs.com.
    I was expecting to open the shipping box and find a very scratched up and used looking but functioning mac.
    The one I received looks really clean. Maybe I just lucked out and got a really good one...
    But I thought I'd mention it here as I know how much some here love to shop for bargains.

MainStage. $30 and you’ll get all of the logic instruments, loops, samples Etc with it as well.

• @mrufino1 said:

MainStage. $30 and you’ll get all of the logic instruments, loops, samples Etc with it as well.

Thank you! I never realized this and have considered buying Logic just for Alchemy. Gonna look at some videos about how to use MainStage with Pro Tools and probably grab it…

• @maxwellhouser said:

@mrufino1 said:

Thank you! I never realized this and have considered buying Logic just for Alchemy. Gonna look at some videos about how to use MainStage with Pro Tools and probably grab it…

Blackhole virtual audio driver will be able to connect them.

• @mrufino1 said:

@horsetrainer said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:
    But I would also rather need a new computer then anything else. The MBP 2012 works but it's a little limited.

Mac mini 2012 here so I feel you bro. It's pimped up to the max, but when I try to sneak in multiple instances of Kontakt, Logic audibly snorts at me 🤷.

I was already considering the M1 mini, but the fact that there's zero chance of upgrading it later held me back, plus plugin compatibility is still not offered by a lot of manufacturers. I'm banking on the next M1x iteration now, at least until it turns out they don't release it this year :)

Speaking of the 2012 Mac mini.... I just bought a used one that I want to use for sound design experiments, wavetable, and sample editing. It's the 2.5 ghz model.

I've got Ableton lite, Bitwig, MultitrackStudio lite, and Tracktion Waveform Free.
    Which of these lite Daws might be the least resource demanding to run on the 2012 mini?

I primarily want to use Vital Wavetable synth, VCV Rack, the Full Bucket Synths, and experiment with some of the other open source synths like Surge. I want to use Audacity as an editor.

My old 2011 mini gets too hot running just Vital, so I'm hoping to at least be able to use one of the Daws as a VST host on the 2012.

I'm not looking to use this for recording songs. If I record it will be for use as wavetable and samples in sound design. I really just want to use the 2012 for sound design and as a synth.

Any advice?

I can't believe I was able to buy a nearly mint condition 2012 mini for only $120US.
    I was expecting to open the shipping box and find a very scratched up and used looking but functioning mac.
    The one I received looks really clean. Maybe I just lucked out and got a really good one...
    But I thought I'd mention it here as I know how much some here love to shop for bargains.

Isn’t Logic Pro necessary to be able to use MainStage? MainStage is not a standalone program, right?

• @NeuM said:

@mrufino1 said:

@horsetrainer said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:

Any advice?

Isn’t Logic Pro necessary to be able to use MainStage? MainStage is not a standalone program, right?

Mainstage is standalone.

• @mrufino1 said:

@horsetrainer said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:

Any advice?

Thanks for the suggestion.

The reservation I have is when I research the current version of MainStage, I see reviews saying MainStage needs a lot CPU power to run well. The most recent App store reviews don't seem that great on performance.

The used 2012 mini I just got, only has the 2.5ghz i5. It's a lot faster than my 2011 mini, but I'm not sure it can handle MainStage.

I can't even run GarageBand on my 2011 mini without the CPU maxing out and the fan spinning up to max RPM's.

If I can get the 2012 to run Bitwig, Vital, and the Open Source synths, that will make me happy for the $120 I paid for this used mac.

• @horsetrainer said:

@mrufino1 said:

@horsetrainer said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:

Any advice?

The reservation I have is when I research the current version of MainStage, I see reviews saying MainStage needs a lot CPU power to run well. The most recent App store reviews don't seem that great on performance.

The used 2012 mini I just got, only has the 2.5ghz i5. It's a lot faster than my 2011 mini, but I'm not sure it can handle MainStage.

I can't even run GarageBand on my 2011 mini without the CPU maxing out and the fan spinning up to max RPM's.

If I can get the 2012 to run Bitwig, Vital, and the Open Source synths, that will make me happy for the $120 I paid for this used mac.

I spent all my money on the cpu when I bought mine refurb. Added the fusion drive myself when AppleCare ended. Biggest performance increase was finally getting around to maxing out the RAM. 8 gigs was pretty painful.

• @ahallam said:

@horsetrainer said:

@mrufino1 said:

@horsetrainer said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:

Any advice?

I spent all my money on the cpu when I bought mine refurb. Added the fusion drive myself when AppleCare ended. Biggest performance increase was finally getting around to maxing out the RAM. 8 gigs was pretty painful.

I like the upgrade potential of the 2012 mini. It can have up to 16GB ram, and it has room inside for two 2.5 SATA drives.
    For now I'll be putting an SSD in the upper drive bay, upping the Ram to 8GB, and installing Catalina.

Someday I'll get a modern mac, but for now I think the upgraded 2012 with 8GB and an SSD will work fine for my sound design experiments.

• edited October 2021

Lots of free stuff on pluginboutique 😎

(Click the hamburger for more)

https://www.pluginboutique.com/categories/18-Amp-Simulator?free=true

• @Pierre118 said:

@NeuM said:

@mrufino1 said:

@horsetrainer said:

@ervin said:

@FloRi89 said:

Any advice?

Mainstage is standalone.

Ugh. Wish I had known that a long time ago.

• edited October 2021

By the way, the latest word from IK Multimedia...

"We're extending the Group Buy through October!"

• Yes we reached the 20.000 goal by the end of September. Now it’s pretty much guaranteed to hit 25.

• Come on, Apple, you've got a month to announce the new mac mini, so I don't spend money on this :)

• @LoopyFruit said:
    This looks interesting, on offer just under 22 squid, anyone using it?

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/8108-InstaComposer

Nice.. maybe Beaty Pro can grow to this on iOS..
    I’m buying..

Thanks..

• @LoopyFruit said:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/8108-InstaComposer

Reading reviews made me realize just how limited Ableton is when it comes to Midi. Really surprising

• @gusgranite said:

Reading reviews made me realize just how limited Ableton is when it comes to Midi. Really surprising

As long as you understand the way MIDI routing functions in Ableton you don't end up in too many MIDI cul-de-sacs. Their MPE implementation is amongst the best available in desktop DAW's. Max for Live opens up a lot of MIDI processing options too. The main area of weakness in Abletons idiosyncratic MIDI implementation is the near non-existent support for SysEx messages.

• @RajahP said:

@LoopyFruit said:

I’m buying..

Thanks..

https://www.waproduction.com/ plugins are pretty shite. They're a 'pile em high, sell em cheap' sample pack company.

• @jonmoore said:

@RajahP said:

@LoopyFruit said:

I’m buying..

Thanks..

https://www.waproduction.com/ plugins are pretty shite. They're a 'pile em high, sell em cheap' sample pack company.

Cool..
    Well, they hit it out of the park with this one..

• @jonmoore said:

@gusgranite said:

As long as you understand the way MIDI routing functions in Ableton you don't end up in too many MIDI cul-de-sacs. Their MPE implementation is amongst the best available in desktop DAW's. Max for Live opens up a lot of MIDI processing options too. The main area of weakness in Abletons idiosyncratic MIDI implementation is the near non-existent support for SysEx messages.

Multichannel midi output?

• more on InstaComposer

• @RajahP said:

@jonmoore said:

@RajahP said:

@LoopyFruit said:

I’m buying..

Thanks..

Cool..
    Well, they hit it out of the park with this one..

I have no opinion on either the product or the company as I don't know them, but I don't get the major selling point they are making in this ad multiple times: "use this so you can spend less time making music faster".

What sense does that make? Who's the target audience for this positioning? People who feel they have to make music but actually hate doing it, so they want to get it over with as quickly as possible? Or those who think they are so important and busy that they have about three minutes to make music per occasion? 🤔

• @gusgranite said:

Multichannel MIDI output is entirely possible once you understand Ableton MIDI routings. But with plugins such as Blue Cat's Patch Works, DDMFs Metaplugin or even the venerable Plogue Bidule (I purchased that plugin in the early naughties and it still keeps on giving), you can create even more flexible MIDI routings, as these plugins are all plugin hosts themselves so you have nested plugin capabilities.

• @ervin i do music for a living, a majority of it being sync for film , tv , ads etc. sometimes a client needs 10 ideas by end of day. these kind of midi generating tools are priceless for me in these cases. I have a template loaded up with my go to synths, mastering chain etc, i generate a progression, add some spice and bam, ive got an idea to submit, on to the next one.

I rarely use these tools for when im creating in a passion project, artist collaboration etc. but they serve as a great tool for me when i do need them.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    @ervin i do music for a living, a majority of it being sync for film , tv , ads etc. sometimes a client needs 10 ideas by end of day. these kind of midi generating tools are priceless for me in these cases. I have a template loaded up with my go to synths, mastering chain etc, i generate a progression, add some spice and bam, ive got an idea to submit, on to the next one.

I rarely use these tools for when im creating in a passion project, artist collaboration etc. but they serve as a great tool for me when i do need them.

You can use these tools very creativity.. you may come up with a synth line and still go on and edit it .. Will love to see this in iOS.. along side with iBassist/Future Drummer..

Tagging… @AntoninCharvat

Priceless.. is fitting..

• @LoopyFruit said:

Given the way they price things and have sales, this will probably be less than 10 bucks pretty shortly. I was tempted by Instachord a few times, but consensus is that Scaler 2 would be a way better buy.

This looks interesting though, looks like it’s got you if you need some midi chords.

• @jonmoore said:

@gusgranite said:

Multichannel MIDI output is entirely possible once you understand Ableton MIDI routings. But with plugins such as Blue Cat's Patch Works, DDMFs Metaplugin or even the venerable Plogue Bidule (I purchased that plugin in the early naughties and it still keeps on giving), you can create even more flexible MIDI routings, as these plugins are all plugin hosts themselves so you have nested plugin capabilities.

Weird, I was reading that you have to use one of those 3rd party plugins to use this InstaComposer. It wasn’t possible otherwise. I’m pretty new to Ableton so will RTFM.