Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Volume utility?

In my studio DAW, I always automate a volume utility plugin (Fruity Balance, for those interested) instead of my mixer channel fader. That way I can keep my automation as is and use the fader when mixing a song. In AUM, I tried doing it with the built-in gain module, but that only drops the signal by 24db at the most. Are there any simple volume or amp apps that I could use for this? I could, of course, just use a compressor plugin or something with no compression active, but this seems overkill and would cost unnecessary CPU usage (I assume).

Comments

  • wimwim
    edited January 6

    If you have Ape Matrix, it comes with the free Gain Pan AUv3 that can be used in any host. I don't know what kind of range it has.

    [edit: -60db]

  • Maze Rider - Auto Leveling ?

  • @wim said:
    If you have Ape Matrix, it comes with the free Gain Pan AUv3 that can be used in any host. I don't know what kind of range it has.

    [edit: -60db]

    I have no use for ape, but I've heard so many good things about their included plugins. Maybe I'll grab it for them.

    @audiblevideo just tried it and it doesn't seem to bring the volume down much.

  • I have just about everything.... the gain in APe Matrix is the only one I see that can knock your volume down enough. @wim is right again.... :-)

  • edited January 7

    Though Maze Rider is a very useful utility it may be overkill for your usage.

    Have look at Jens Guells AU wrapped utilities.
    The eq and limiter for instance has gain control.
    Leave all the other settings flat and you could
    automate that instead and they are light on cpu.

    Edit.

    The global gain on the eq is between -96db and 24db.

  • Have you tried Midimixer by 4 Pockets? That should do what you are asking. You can automate volume, and Pan on upto 12 channels. Any good for you?

  • @Toastedghost said:
    Have you tried Midimixer by 4 Pockets? That should do what you are asking. You can automate volume, and Pan on upto 12 channels. Any good for you?

    I don’t want to automate AUM faders. That way I can use these for leveling and mixing. Always automate a volume utility on your fx chain. Makes life so much easier!

  • wimwim
    edited January 7

    miRack has plenty of VCA/Attenuators. I haven't tried, but there's probably something to fit the bill if you already have miRack and don't want to purchase Ape Matrix just for the free plugins. That may seem like overkill, but if you saved a patch with just what you need, it would be low CPU and only seconds to set up. You could add metering too if needed.

  • @Gravitas said:
    Though Maze Rider is a very useful utility it may be overkill for your usage.

    Have look at Jens Guells AU wrapped utilities.
    The eq and limiter for instance has gain control.
    Leave all the other settings flat and you could
    automate that instead and they are light on cpu.

    Edit.

    The global gain on the eq is between -96db and 24db.

    This is perfect. Those bundles are cheap as hell.

    @wim that's a good idea. I always forget that I can just use miRack as a simple utility.

  • @Gravitas said:
    Though Maze Rider is a very useful utility it may be overkill for your usage.

    Have look at Jens Guells AU wrapped utilities.
    The eq and limiter for instance has gain control.
    Leave all the other settings flat and you could
    automate that instead and they are light on cpu.

    Edit.

    The global gain on the eq is between -96db and 24db.

    I just tried to automate the WU PeakLimiter. It seems that it can't actually be controlled via CC. AUM let's you assign a channel and CC to it, but it don't change using both an internal controller (KB-1) and an external controller (Xequence). Am I missing something?

  • @slicetwo said:

    I just tried to automate the WU PeakLimiter. It seems that it can't actually be controlled via CC. AUM let's you assign a channel and CC to it, but it don't change using both an internal controller (KB-1) and an external controller (Xequence). Am I missing something?

    I don’t have the WU PeakLimiter so I couldn’t tell you if your missing something.
    The only one I have from the WU series is ,’AU sample delay’, and that doesn’t respond
    to CC either though the other apps I have from Jens Guell do respond to CC messages.
    I’ve just tried it on StereoTool and I’ve used it before with !MakeLouder.
    Try emailing the dev.

Sign In or Register to comment.