Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NOW AVAILABLE (FREE) Make songs in AUM with scenes & automation. Control 1000 params 4 knobs

For the last 7 months I have been working on a solution to change AUM jam sessions into AUM song production sessions.

I've developed, in Mozaic, a modular set of 5 ‘connected’ midi generators (KNTRL, KORDS, NOTES, BEATS & AUTOM). They each have there own independent scene based workflow and menu system but can be controlled at a master level synchronously. Together they provide the following....

1. An Ableton scene style workflow with loopable sections and a song mode (KNTRL)
  2. A midi control surface where 4 knobs can control >1000 parameters (KNTRL)
  3. A chord progression generator with ‘reverse arp’ (incoming notes trigger current chord notes on 8 independent channels) and ability to handle non-diatonic chords (KORDS)
  4. A melody/harmony that can generate editable melody and rhythm independently and send per step cc. (NOTES)
  5. A drum pattern generator with built in kick, snare, hat, perc patterns like the maxforlive device iHaus by Alex Kidd, editable Euclidian sequencing, and editable note out per step (BEATS)
  6. An scene based automation generator that can easily create an automation ramps across scenes or multiple bars as well as record automation during playback that can then be edited (AUTOM)

Together I call them Quantum Komposer and I felt it was time to tell someone about it! ;-)

In this video I give a high level overview of the 5 tools and demo the first song I have completed using QK.
https://youtu.be/J8S1_yb4-t8

I will add a few more ‘tutorial’ like videos on the 5 tools work over the next week or so as well as the midi controller console I built to control them.

Thanks to @brambos for making such an incredibly powerful and useful app in Mozaic
Thanks to @_ki for making Mozaic Language Support to make coding easier

Collage of screen shots....

------------------ UPDATES --------------
Video series complete
AUM session with Quantum Komposer apps now available

Get Quantum Komposer

Comments

• Wow ! You’ve been a busy boy. Congratulations & look forward to your tutorial vids....

• You definitely have our rapt attention!

• Holy shit, this looks very promising, thank you!

• edited January 2021

Great toy you've builded ! :)

• @soundtemple btw, looks like this hasn't been put on patchstorage yet? Any download links?

• Amazing! You should sell it! I think someone who puts this much work into something deserves some recompense, if other people find it valuable.

• You are a Midi genius! The track alone is amazing but your programming work is outstanding. Will take me days to decyfer what you have created here. Thank you so much

• @Gavinski @SimonSomeone Not publicly available yet. I thought I'd post here and make a few vids to see what people think. It would be nice to have some recompense if it turns out to be useful. But could well be a big behemoth that only I am inclined to use. I pleased/proud of it and hope it will be of use.

• Very impressive indeed @soundtemple . Way over my head :) . Guess it'll take a pretty powerful iPad to run it with so many apps?

Curious how you color and label AUM channel icons? Is that a script of your own or something available at Patchstorage?

• @Pxlhg CPU becomes an issue everywhere eventually. Tap on the instrument, then long press on the title bar. You can add an instance name and node colour. I think it is in a recent update to AUM, so try updating AUM if it doesnt work for you.

• @soundtemple said:
    @Pxlhg CPU becomes an issue everywhere eventually. Tap on the instrument, then long press on the title bar. You can add an instance name and node colour. I think it is in a recent update to AUM, so try updating AUM if it doesnt work for you.

Ah, thank you so much. Couldn't find the function so I thought it was a script :D

• Congratulations - super-cool and inanely extensive !

If you are going to publish it, a detailed documentation is needed of each of the modules - there are sooo many features implemented :)

I would suggest adding a separate patchstorage per script, this allows to update them individually. Maybe use the Quantom Komposer as name prefix (and keyword) for all of them.
    The readme features of PatchStorage are not that great, for such complex scripts its better to use external documentation and link it via patchstorage‘s source button . For MutatoR i used the AudioBus wiki, where i could structure the text and add images and gif animatons (here)

• Looked fantastic
    👍

• Yes, it sounds great and push Mozaic beyond its limits. It looks however very complex and I'm not sure it can really compete against a traditional DAW. Maybe I'm wrong. It should be, in my opinion, a "try before you buy" thing...

• @soundtemple said:
    @Gavinski @SimonSomeone Not publicly available yet. I thought I'd post here and make a few vids to see what people think. It would be nice to have some recompense if it turns out to be useful. But could well be a big behemoth that only I am inclined to use. I pleased/proud of it and hope it will be of use.

You could try to run it on a pay what you can basis so people make a donation of a minium fee set by you and can contribute more if they wish. Just a thought. It does look very useful, though I myself am disabled and on PIP so my income is very limited but still I think that might be a possible solution.

• Upfront I must say that probably I do not yet fully understand what QK can do and how to work with it but I want to tell you my impression. I think think you pushed Mozaic to the limits. With all respect for Mozaic but for me it feels like building a washing machine with Lego. Probably you should find an app developer to collaborate with and make a real app out of your idea. I think it deserves it. Maybe it’s the app we are all waiting for.

• It's crazy!! I don't know what is going on on this video, but looks very advanced :)

• @krassmann said:
    Upfront I must say that probably I do not yet fully understand what QK can do and how to work with it but I want to tell you my impression. I think think you pushed Mozaic to the limits. With all respect for Mozaic but for me it feels like building a washing machine with Lego. Probably you should find an app developer to collaborate with and make a real app out of your idea. I think it deserves it. Maybe it’s the app we are all waiting for.

This 👆

• Find a dev who makes beautiful interfaces that are a joy to work with, as this looks like something that could maybe become a very important part of many people's AUM workflow

• edited January 2021

That is pretty amazing. Reminds me in some ways of a software NDLR. And it looks like you’ve done a great job of providing as many in context cues and reminders as to what the hell is going on as Mozaic permits. I think breaking out the modules individually is a good idea as it gives the naive punter (I.e. me) at least half a chance of learning this thing in bite sized chunks, one module at a time, which, as a fan of all things autogenerative, I would like to do.

I’m not sure something this deep would be substantially easier to grasp in any other format, but, pace @krassmann’s ‘building a washing machine out of Lego’ comment :), and without obviously having had the opportunity yet to get hands on to test the assertion, I would concur with him that this meisterwerk would definitely benefit from a more graphical, friendly front end than Mozaic can permit, that could ideally show a user in a more interactive way what is actually going on moment to moment.

I wonder if you were free to develop a gui without reference to Mozaic, aimed at optimising tweakability, on the fly adjustments, feedback and flow, what would it look like?

If you did hook up with another dev or gui designer to come up with such a thing, I would definitely be interested in handing over cold hard cash for it! :)

• @Gavinski said:
    Find a dev who makes beautiful interfaces that are a joy to work with, as this looks like something that could maybe become a very important part of many people's AUM workflow

🙌 yes to this.

• Or even get Jonatan to pay you to let him incorporate it into AUM itself 😋

• Perhaps selling it in chunks is good idea
    Getting an app built with all this would be a giant piece of work I would imagine, and that might take a year etc
    Looks like it’s working fine via mosaic now
    So selling the mosaic scripts per unit would get you the money you deserve now, I am sure paying someone to make this into an app might be expensive as it’s all coding and labour intensive, remember this is a niche market. The average music doodler might skip , and in the App Store world music apps are a small percentage, otherwise apple would be pushing music making apps all day long down people’s throats
    Good luck with what ever route you take
    Will be watching thread as this looks interesting

• edited January 2021

I watched the video again and I must say that the song you created demos very well what a powerful composing and songwriting tool you have created. The concept of template driven generators - I hope I got that right - is just brilliant. It’s so much more than the usual mutation and a few knobs for scale and root notes. I think there is no other tool like that, at least on iOS.

Watching how you operate it clearly shows that your idea is made for touch interfaces and probably could not be born on a laptop. So, I repeat my advice: please leave the limitations of Mozaic behind. I guess it served you well to develop your vision and I guess even @brambos himself did not expect someone to build such a deep application with it. Congrats.

At least for myself I can say that I wouldn’t be sad if you would decide not to share your application with the world now but make an app out it instead. But darn.... I’d like to play around with it.

• Impressive work! Congratulations @soundtemple

I wonder how much time would be needed to master your Quantum Composer...

Since you have several modules, you could share some of them on patchstorage (say Kords, Notes, Beats) to get us familiarized with them and the high level stuff (Kntrl and Autom) on some kind of donation/buying platform.
    Kind of try before you buy thing.

• Maybe in the future a Quantum Composer Suite app like the Rozeta suite...

• @Nicebutfun said:
    Perhaps selling it in chunks is good idea
    Getting an app built with all this would be a giant piece of work I would imagine, and that might take a year etc
    Looks like it’s working fine via mosaic now
    So selling the mosaic scripts per unit would get you the money you deserve now, I am sure paying someone to make this into an app might be expensive as it’s all coding and labour intensive, remember this is a niche market. The average music doodler might skip , and in the App Store world music apps are a small percentage, otherwise apple would be pushing music making apps all day long down people’s throats
    Good luck with what ever route you take
    Will be watching thread as this looks interesting

mozaic paid app so all patches I need for free