Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI controllers powered solely by iPad

Hey folks, does anyone know of any midi controllers out there (of the portable compact variety - and with knobs, buttons and faders only, no keys) that work reliably with iPad over a CCK connection without needing any external power (such as a powered audio interface or usb hub)? I’m looking for a controller that is powered entirely from the iPad, if such a thing exists

Comments

• The Keith Mc millen k board, and quneo can be powered from the iPad iirc :-)

• Akai midimix works with an iPad mini without external power

• If you are not wanting to use any power then a bluetooth midi controller is your best option. You can buy bluetooth midi adapter which will connect to controllers, like the Kaiosilator or Launchpad. I use one from Yamaha

• Korg nanoKONTROL2 works well.

• What iPad are you using? The newer ones will power most keyboard midi controllers I think, I just bought an Arturia Keylab Essential and my IPad Pro powers it. My iPad Air 2 would actually give me that warning saying it couldn’t power the device when I plugged it straight into it, but if I plugged it into a non powered usb hub first then plugged that into the Air2 it worked, I think it ran the iPad in low power mode and somehow made it able to power the midi controller I used with it, which was an Akai Mpk mini and also an Arturia Beatstep

• Can confirm Arturia Keystep also works well

• @Strizbiz said:
    What iPad are you using? The newer ones will power most keyboard midi controllers I think, I just bought an Arturia Keylab Essential and my IPad Pro powers it. My iPad Air 2 would actually give me that warning saying it couldn’t power the device when I plugged it straight into it, but if I plugged it into a non powered usb hub first then plugged that into the Air2 it worked, I think it ran the iPad in low power mode and somehow made it able to power the midi controller I used with it, which was an Akai Mpk mini and also an Arturia Beatstep

Good point - I have a 2017 9.7” iPad. Guessing could be in same boat as your Air 2.

Interesting how it works by inserting unpowered hub inline. I’ll rummage around to see if I can find an old one, if so I’ll try that trick on my QX49 (normally connected to iPad via powered audio interface).

Thanks to everyone for suggestions

• My iPad gen 6 can power a LaunchKey MINI Mk 2 without external power

• My Akai MPK 261 has a low power mode that lets it be iPad powered. I would assume the other MPK2’s have this feature.

• edited January 2021

Edit: Sorry, now I see your "no keys" comment, so nevermind.
    Original comment:
    Maybe kinda obvious, but Korg Nanokey studio, as it has battery and works also with no cable at all - over bluetooth.
    I can test if it works also connected to CCK without ipad charger in if interested.

• But maybe one other note: with power bank and powered usb hub, you can make virtually any MIDI controller work without the need of electrical outlet. But it depends if your aim is to make the connection as simple as possible, or you want to be prepared for no electrical outlet available...

• @Toastedghost said:
    If you are not wanting to use any power then a bluetooth midi controller is your best option. You can buy bluetooth midi adapter which will connect to controllers, like the Kaiosilator or Launchpad. I use one from Yamaha

As someone who fucking hates bluetooth and think it's usually worthless tech for making music and a complete waste of space only used to justify the removal of an absolutely essential feature (headphone jack): bluetooth for midi communication is fucking instantaneous, amazing, and you should go out and do it today.

This adapter works flawlessly with MPE devices https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Wireless-MD-BT01-5-PIN-Adapter/dp/B01CFOHF6U

A hidden perk of this system is that if you power your controller with the 9v port and not the usb port while hooked up to bluetooth with the midiports, your equipment is much safer from damage. My usb port on my Linnstrument has broken on me 4 times now. Which is ridiculous. USB ports have no place in pro gear meant to last decades with how weak and poorly designed they are for durability. Once Roger Linn dies (knock on wood) and if my port breaks again, that's game over for my Linnstrument. But the midi ports can take falls from off a bridge and still be perfectly fine. Bluetooth midi for life.

• @sclurbs said:

@Toastedghost said:
    If you are not wanting to use any power then a bluetooth midi controller is your best option. You can buy bluetooth midi adapter which will connect to controllers, like the Kaiosilator or Launchpad. I use one from Yamaha

As someone who fucking hates bluetooth and think it's usually worthless tech for making music and a complete waste of space only used to justify the removal of an absolutely essential feature (headphone jack): bluetooth for midi communication is fucking instantaneous, amazing, and you should go out and do it today.

This adapter works flawlessly with MPE devices https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Wireless-MD-BT01-5-PIN-Adapter/dp/B01CFOHF6U

A hidden perk of this system is that if you power your controller with the 9v port and not the usb port while hooked up to bluetooth with the midiports, your equipment is much safer from damage. My usb port on my Linnstrument has broken on me 4 times now. Which is ridiculous. USB ports have no place in pro gear meant to last decades with how weak and poorly designed they are for durability. Once Roger Linn dies (knock on wood) and if my port breaks again, that's game over for my Linnstrument. But the midi ports can take falls from off a bridge and still be perfectly fine. Bluetooth midi for life.

Amen

• edited April 2022

Mpd218 has a iPad low power mode (pads and knobs)

• Linnstrument in low power mode connects to iPad via CCK just fine and works flawlessly. "Lower power mode" in this context simply means Linnstrument's LEDs aren't quite as bright

• Nektar impact lx series have a low power mode.

• Not quite on topic, but…

Akai EWI USB doesn’t - iirc is declares needing a tiny amount more than a lightning iPad will supply (bah). With power to a USB3 CCK works.

• heshes
    edited April 2022

@MadGav said:
    Not quite on topic, but…

Akai EWI USB doesn’t - iirc is declares needing a tiny amount more than a lightning iPad will supply (bah). With power to a USB3 CCK works.

Optimal setup with an EWI, though, is to use something like a Yamaha UD-BT01 bluetooth midi adapter with a little portable usb battery charger. Velcro them to the bottom of the EWI (they're tiny and lightweight) and you're cable-free.

• StudioLogic SL73 works perfectly with iPad 6th :)
    Korg Nanokontrol 1
    AKAI LPD8
    Arturia Minilab MKII

Not working with baterry:
    Akai Midimix
    Launchpad Mini MKIII

• @hes said:

@MadGav said:
    Not quite on topic, but…

Optimal setup with an EWI, though, is to use something like a Yamaha UD-BT01 bluetooth midi adapter with a little portable usb battery charger. Velcro them to the bottom of the EWI (they're tiny and lightweight) and you're cable-free.

Yep thats what I do with my EWI..its wireless awesomeness…

• Roland A-49

Great controller keyboard.

• Responders: I think it should be specified what iPads you are using. iPads with lightning ports provide less power than those with usb C ports which I believe have a comparable power to a laptop’s USB port.

• @supadom said:
    Responders: I think it should be specified what iPads you are using. iPads with lightning ports provide less power than those with usb C ports which I believe have a comparable power to a laptop’s USB port.

Good point. I'm running my Linnstrument into a 2019 Air, which has a Lightning port. It's not got enough grunt to power Linnstrument in "regular" mode, but is fine with Linnstrument in "low power" mode.

I've also got a WIDI connector, which works fine as well and has close enough to zero latency with the Linnstrument. The only downside with that is that I have to plug Linnstrument into a power source (USB battery pack in my case) to power it and the WIDI, but then I can put the iPad out of harm's way and plug its Lightning port into another power source. As the 2019 Air still has a headphone jack that plugs into my Zoom U44 which can then connect to just about any amp/speaker/headphone setup, that's pretty much the perfect setup as far as I'm concerned.

As long as I can put its USB battery pack into a convenient pocket, the Linnstrument is then effectively wireless; I can wander around with it untethered except to that battery pack, and route its MIDI out via the WIDI to iPad or Mac without a problem. I've not had a chance to battle test this setup live, but it's been 100% reliable at home and while playing with mates.

• For using a MIDI Controller directly powered by iPad, the requirement is to have a device taking only 100mA or below current. For iPads with USB-C connection, normally a higher current can be supplied but for Lightning connector iPads, especially those with A11 or later CPU, the max current can be supplied will be less than 100mA. That is why most of the small devices will no longer be powered up to use. Say, the Launchpad Mini, it requires 150mA which you are not able to get from an iPad with Lightning and A11 or later CPU. External power will always be the need. Consider a power pack if you really need true portable and use your studio on the run.

• If you really want to have a true portable without taking a battery or something bulky, try using Bluetooth LE. Korg has some choose or you can just use another iPad or iPhone as the Bluetooth MIDI Controller. Of course there would be a bit latency but it would be better than Bluetooth Audio. You would accept the time lag which is not that significant.