Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Master Class" Series.....got it? seen it?

What are your thoughts on it?

Comments

• I have a few friends who were into it. General consensus was that it was kind of interesting, but often the presenters just talk to much without actually teaching you anything. Most felt it wasn't worth the price, but I admit I haven't seen any myself.

• edited January 2021

I took Armin Van Buuren’s master class and it was a perfect match for my interests. It is reviewed in YouTube videos as a better class than deadmau5’s because Armin’s class was produced at a later time and they nailed it. I bought just this one course with lifetime access and did not subscribe - it was worth it. They also have an app where you can download courses for offline watching when you are away from WiFi, driving, flying... (like Udemy app).

I was surprised all through the class that I use most of his techniques already like duplicating tracks to reduce work, etc (he is just like me in so many ways). He goes through composition on Logic along with is friend and later into DJ stuff, equipment, live performance and more.

It would have been a disaster had I took deadmau5’s class as that is not my preferred style of music. Not sure about other courses like Hans Zimmerman’s.

• They’re available by nefarious means. I have to say the Deadmau5 commercials on YouTube makes it seem not even worth a pirate download. Those were the highlights?

I’m a sucker for tutorials, but I always learn more by doing. Lately, I just google very specific questions, get quick answers, and turn back to creating.

• edited January 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’ve watched a few of the more writing / literary ones and they’re interesting, more pep talk and general advice than the kind of nuts and bolts you get from a proper writing course. Not sure they’re going to change anyones career paths but they’re good for insight and morale I think...

• edited January 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Tarekith said:
    I have a few friends who were into it. General consensus was that it was kind of interesting, but often the presenters just talk to much without actually teaching you anything. Most felt it wasn't worth the price, but I admit I haven't seen any myself.

Appreciate that!

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    They’re available by nefarious means. I have to say the Deadmau5 commercials on YouTube makes it seem not even worth a pirate download. Those were the highlights?

I’m a sucker for tutorials, but I always learn more by doing. Lately, I just google very specific questions, get quick answers, and turn back to creating.

LOL

THANKS!

• edited January 2021

I agree with @Max23 and @Krupa. I watched a few of these during the time I had my subscription and they were all interesting but not that edifying. Anecdotes and pep talks. Getting a year's premium youtube sub and watching the tons of excellent and truly educational stuff would be money far far better spent if you actually want to learn any techniques in any of the fields covered. Not saying they are not enjoyable, they are, just too light on real teaching how.

• edited January 2021

I've taken a few. Had a friend who got the year access and I profited from it, haha.

I enjoyed the Arvin van Buuren session the most as he takes you from a producer perspective to a live DJ session, while doing a teardown of the technique he used on his song.

Timbaland masterclass was good. I learnt more about the 8 bar production and stacking layers of ideas with his videos. Importance of sidechain, and understanding that not every loop you make needs to be in a song.

Deadmau5 was okay. Was a decent introduction to teach some of the basics of music production, especially as a beginner. It was a point of reflection where music production isn't really a defined route. Each producer does things in their own way, although I could see a pattern.

Christina Aguilera had some good vocal tips, although it may have been overshadowed by the stardom.

I was looking into Tom Morello and Herbie Hancock but didnt get the chance to start them. Ah well...

Edit: What I'll say is that the videos are produced really well. And it adds a bit of personal touch watching them break down their work into bits. If you're approaching it as a way to gain a ton of skills to make it mainstream, you'd be disappointed. But if you see it as a look into their workflow, then you'll get some value out of it.

• I subscribed for a year of Master Class. I enjoyed watching these famous people share their insights, but I didn't get much out of it that I didn't already know. 🤷‍♂️

• @seonnthaproducer said:
    I've taken a few. Had a friend who got the year access and I profited from it, haha.

I enjoyed the Arvin van Buuren session the most as he takes you from a producer perspective to a live DJ session, while doing a teardown of the technique he used on his song.

Timbaland masterclass was good. I learnt more about the 8 bar production and stacking layers of ideas with his videos. Importance of sidechain, and understanding that not every loop you make needs to be in a song.

Deadmau5 was okay. Was a decent introduction to teach some of the basics of music production, especially as a beginner. It was a point of reflection where music production isn't really a defined route. Each producer does things in their own way, although I could see a pattern.

Christina Aguilera had some good vocal tips, although it may have been overshadowed by the stardom.

I was looking into Tom Morello and Herbie Hancock but didnt get the chance to start them. Ah well...

Edit: What I'll say is that the videos are produced really well. And it adds a bit of personal touch watching them break down their work into bits. If you're approaching it as a way to gain a ton of skills to make it mainstream, you'd be disappointed. But if you see it as a look into their workflow, then you'll get some value out of it.

Thanks for the feedback!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I subscribed for a year of Master Class. I enjoyed watching these famous people share their insights, but I didn't get much out of it that I didn't already know. 🤷‍♂️

hmmm......

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Tarekith said:
    I have a few friends who were into it. General consensus was that it was kind of interesting, but often the presenters just talk to much without actually teaching you anything. Most felt it wasn't worth the price, but I admit I haven't seen any myself.

Appreciate that!

good. It was also my conclusion after watching Timbaland videos - Talking about his workflow and feeling behind it - good for inspiration, but definitely no hard knowledge there

• Typical master classes (not from the site, I mean in life as whole) are generally a way to familiarize yourself with how THAT person does what she does. Some just float. Others dive deep. It took me some time to realize that (I had a shitload of master classes in arts and design).

So always take them with a grain of salt... :lol:

That being said, I've been more tempted with some of Sonic Academy's courses than the ones in MasterClass :tongue:

• @MobileMusic said:
    I was surprised all through the class that I use most of his techniques already like duplicating tracks to reduce work, etc

Just out of curiosity... you mean for layering, having something from one track as a backbone in another or a whole other thing? :lol: