Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

VisualSwift - Music, Beta Version 0.6

2»

Comments

• edited January 2021

@enkaytee said:

@Jorge said:

Please keep sending the bug reports, they really help.

Do you want bugs reports here or from testflight?

I don't really mind, they both get to me. Screenshots are very useful too. I prefer public conversations as others might benefit although I'm also conscious of hijacking this thread with frequent posts so up to you.

• @Jorge said:

@enkaytee said:

@Jorge said:

Do you want bugs reports here or from testflight?

I don't really mind, they both get to me. Screenshots are very useful too. I prefer public conversations as others might benefit although I'm also conscious of hijacking this thread with frequent posts so up to you.

OK - thanks - I've already sent a couple from testflight but will post here in future...👍

• @enkaytee

I've got quite a few through TestFlight, many with screenshots. My big priority now is to go through every single reported bug and fix them to make the app very stable and reliable. I hope I'll be able to return the favour to everyone that helps test it.

• @Jorge said:
    @enkaytee

I've got quite a few through TestFlight, many with screenshots. My big priority now is to go through every single reported bug and fix them to make the app very stable and reliable. I hope I'll be able to return the favour to everyone that helps test it.

I'm finding the workflow of creating scenes very productive - a great way of combining modular with the freedom to use existing synths, effects and generators - thanks for developing this...!

• @Jorge said:

@itsaghost said:
    I really love this idea and i can’t wait to try it out! I’ll probably join the testflight tomorrow and I’ll help report back with any issues I run into.

Modular working environments are so cool and I love the idea of seeing everything on the same page, especially with Auv3s.

@Jorge I’m curious as to what the difference is between VisualSwift and VisualSwift-Music, other than that VisualSwift-Music is more focused on Auv3. Like what does VisualSwift do that VisualSwift-Music cant do?

The full VisualSwift has many hundreds of components in different areas, for example you can create a custom module with custom audio and UI as shown at: https://visualswift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52

The following video shows an example of connecting the audio stream to a SpriteKit component that draws it with left channel on the horizontal axis and the right channel on the vertical axis: https://youtu.be/O4Tx3ktM4JA

It is also possible to generate Xcode projects that you can build, basically instead or writing code you define your project using Visual Programming as you can see at: https://visualswift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48

You can manipulate your low level MIDI events using javascript: https://visualswift.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58

You can control Hue Lights, you can create a Server and send custom data to it, for example you could create a custom panel running on an iPad with knobs, sliders and buttons that would send values to another VisualSwift schematic running on an iPad or Laptop and control parameters of a custom synthesiser.

You can scrape web pages which I have used as part of an eBay business.

etc...

The main challenge is to release all those components in a controlled and stable way with documentation so I've decided for now to focus on the 3 components for hosting AUv3 MIDI Processors, Instruments and Effects.

Having all the components exposed is very scary for most users, I might provide a switch in the settings to expose them all if there is enough interest although by default they'll remain hidden.

Thanks for the explanation! That seems super cool, although a little above my knowledge of how things work lmao. I’ll definitely keep testing and giving some feedback when I can! Like I said it’s a really unique and cool environment to work in and I can absolutely see it becoming a big part of my workflow in the future.

• Interesting, thanks for the open beta, I’ll put it action and see what’s up. Cheers!

• @Jorge said:
    @Pxlhg

Thanks, that's very useful. I expect the issue is because you have two AudioOut components in the same schematic. At the moment only one is supported, I'd expect unpredictable behaviour with two. I'll change it to prevent the user from creating a second AudioOut. Eventually it will support having more than one AudioOut by connecting them all to an internal mixer.

The top right corner of a component is for drag-duplicating it. Makes sense that you thought it would be a "close" action. If I replace it with an [X] for closing I'll need to figure out where to put the duplicate, maybe the bottom left corner.

For deleting a component select it first and you should see a control panel around it with an (X) on the bottom right for deleting it.

The unclosable right hand menu was left from the full VisualSwift, thanks for spotting it, I'll hide it. In the full VisualSwift it is used to show how the front panel of a custom synth looks on several devices.

Thanks for that deleting instruction, he he, no wonder it didn't work :* .
    The project (from the screen shot) loaded again with the exception of FAC Alteza and that one's easy enough to reload but one thing that's very worrisome is that all notes from Atom were gone. Not good, to put it mildly. (Latest update 0.6 (16))

• @Pxlhg

Thanks for your feedback related to notes lost on Atom, I've been working on improving it.

The latest version 0.6.17 is now on TestFlight : https://testflight.apple.com/join/9KePAn4p

I still notice sometimes the Plugin's Window doesn't show after loading a schematic ( I'll work on this next ). One way around it is to expand the component and toggle the "Show Icon" switch off and on.

Below is a screen shot showing VisualSwift v0.6.17 hosting Octachron and Ruismaker:

• edited January 2021

The latest version 0.6.20 is now on TestFlight : https://testflight.apple.com/join/9KePAn4p

This version should be a lot more stable.

Below is an example running Velocity KB, Pure Synth, FAC Alteza, Octachron and Ruismaker:

• Not to be a joy kill or anything, but does this app do anything different than route signals using a modular noodles?

• @jorge
    Dumb question but: how do you expand the schematic dimensions? (I mean the grids which we put the components inside)

I see the arrows in the corner but I’m not sure how to use them...

• edited January 2021

@Littlewoodg

Schematic panels resize automatically as needed, you never run out of space, when you attempt to drag a component past the right or bottom edge the schematic grows. If this system doesn't work well for you and you prefer manual resizing please let me know.

I think automatic resizing of schematics becomes more useful when you have deep hierarchical schematics like a module inside a module inside a module etc. Schematics with just plugins tend not to be very deep.

@audiblevideo

I've decided on purpose to focus on a very small set of functionality and make it stable and reliable before exposing the other features, hopefully in a controlled stable and documented manner.

There are many other features that I have already implemented which you can see in the VisualSwift Forum.

The 3 main applications that I have implemented and intend to expose at the right time after having a reliable host are:

1) Custom UI creation
    2) Synth/Effect/DSP Making from low level audio components
    3) Generation of Xcode projects for non-programmers to be able to create their own plugins and submit to the app store.

For now, it's about having a stable Visual Programming framework working as a simple host.

Maybe I should have made more clear in the title of this thread that this is beta software ( I have now ).

• @Jorge said:
    @Littlewoodg

Schematic panels resize automatically as needed, you never run out of space, when you attempt to drag a component past the right or bottom edge the schematic grows. If this system doesn't work well for you and you prefer manual resizing please let me know.

I think automatic resizing of schematics becomes more useful when you have deep hierarchical schematics like a module inside a module inside a module etc. Schematics with just plugins tend not to be very deep.

@audiblevideo

I've decided on purpose to focus on a very small set of functionality and make it stable and reliable before exposing the other features, hopefully in a controlled stable and documented manner.

There are many other features that I have already implemented which you can see in the VisualSwift Forum.

The 3 main applications that I have implemented and intend to expose at the right time after having a reliable host are:

1) Custom UI creation
    2) Synth/Effect/DSP Making from low level audio components
    3) Generation of Xcode projects for non-programmers to be able to create their own plugins and submit to the app store.

For now, it's about having a stable Visual Programming framework working as a simple host.

Maybe I should have made more clear in the title of this thread that this is beta software ( I have now ).

Thanks, beautiful thing

• Nice. Thank you.

• VisualSwift - Music v0.6.26 now with MIDI Input

• @Jorge said:
    VisualSwift - Music v0.6.26 now with MIDI Input

It really starts to come together Jorge. Great work.
    I could not get Riffer to work with AddStation but if I connected the new Midi in to AddStation, it worked. If I changed to another synth, Agonizer, Riffer worked. A bit strange and it might not be your app that's causing that. I'll try elsewhere and see if they just don't like each other...

• edited January 2021

@Pxlhg

Thanks a lot for that well spotted bug.

Riffer connected to AddStation should now work in version 0.6.27.

AddStation doesn't seem to connect the MIDI input inside the AudioUnit graph ( maybe something to discuss with the developer ). So now in the case of AddStation I made VisualSwift send the MIDI events through the link and directly insert them in the MIDI handler ( probably TMI ). Every other Instrument I've tried didn't need this. If you find others with similar behaviour let me know and I'll add them to the list.

I hope it now works for you, here's the schematic I've used that didn't work with 0.6.26 and now works with 0.6.27:

• edited January 2021

@Jorge said:
    @Pxlhg

Thanks a lot for that well spotted bug.

Riffer connected to AddStation should now work in version 0.6.27.

AddStation doesn't seem to connect the MIDI input inside the AudioUnit graph ( maybe something to discuss with the developer ). So now in the case of AddStation I made VisualSwift send the MIDI events through the link and directly insert them in the MIDI handler ( probably TMI ). Every other Instrument I've tried didn't need this. If you find others with similar behaviour let me know and I'll add them to the list.

Sure and, great. I just uploaded a video to daily screenjams where I use Riffer and AddStation in AUM. I started it to test for this, then had so fun I didn't realize that it was that I was doing till now when you posted your reply. Might need to have my head checked, or have less fun ;)

• Coming along really nicely! Looking forward to giving the testflight a spin.

• Version 0.6.28 now available with:

New MIDI Switch component for controlling the routing of MIDI messages throughout a schematic.

• edited January 2021

VisualSwift - Music v0.6.29 now available.

New MIDI LearnTrigger component allows you to use an external controller to trigger actions inside the schematic, for example: to switch between instruments by pressing hardware controller buttons.

In action:

• Hey @Jorge How about some start-up template(s), for example Audio Out, an Instrument and maybe a MIDI processor. That's probably what most use when they start something new. Of course I can do one my self too, just a thought ... :)

• edited January 2021

Thanks @Pxlhg , I want to make it as user friendly as possible.

• Hi @Jorge, on the current version I’m on 0.6 (59) all midi pre processors are now disabled, I can’t seem to locate a way to enable them. Maybe this has been covered and I’m missing something here?

• edited January 2021

Hi @Jmousseau72,

Currently when you open a Schematic, it starts with the Audio Engine switched off, even if the AudioOut switch is On ( this will change ). To enable the MIDI Processors just switch AudioOut Off and back On and they should become enabled. Please note that when the Audio Engine is On, all MIDI Processors should be enabled, this is in contrast to the other types of plugins ( MIDI Effect, Effect and Instrument ) which will only be enabled if they are actually connected to the Audio Graph through the blue Audio connectors.

I hope this information solves your issue. I plan to have the engine switch on automatically after loading a schematic in one of the next releases. I had some crashes switching on the engine too soon after load before it was ready so decided to keep it manual for now. The AudioOut switch will probably eventually disappear and the engine will always be on.

(Edit) I just had the same issue that you described with a schematic saved with a previous version, saving it and loading again seemed to fix it. For the schematic to save, make some change like moving a component before exiting.

• Thanks @Jorge, that worked. Keep up the good work, I’m really like where this is going. Thanks for sharing the beta invite too.

• v0.6.77 now available on TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/9KePAn4p

Quicker way of selecting plugins.
    Improved Mixer component.

• v0.6.78 is now available with a new Distortion component: