Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2021 rumors?

Comments

• @Samu said:
    As I see it 2021 will be the year AUv3 really takes off (new hosts, synths, effects etc.) and WWDC'21 will be something I look forward to with iOS15/iPadOS15 and it will also likely be the year when Apple drops support for the iPad Air 2.
    (I'll keep a cool head at least until the next rumored batch of iPads drop in March).

Considering Apple will drop Music Memos it's a quite safe bet that GarageBand will get a major update with functions left over from it since 'Voice Memos' is not a good substitute as it has no key/tempo detection etc.

One thing I do know is that I'll be spending a lot less cash on apps and do better research before deciding what to get and if I really need it or not. Sorry no-more unconditional 'buy to show support' from me. app-o-holism went way overboard this year.

Cheers!

Amen to updated Garageband. The drummers are keeping me there, but Cubasis has the mixer and other goodies.
    M1 Macs are the best with Logic but missing the touch interface and Apple Pencil. I just can’t win. Hopefully 2021 will bring me something from Apple. Fingers crossed.

• @Jimmy said:

Amen to updated Garageband. The drummers are keeping me there, but Cubasis has the mixer and other goodies.
    M1 Macs are the best with Logic but missing the touch interface and Apple Pencil. I just can’t win. Hopefully 2021 will bring me something from Apple. Fingers crossed.

Yepp, I'm enjoying Logic Pr on my MacMini (2018 3Ghz 6-Core i5 model) as well but I really do miss 'touch'.
    Next year I'll likely be upgrading my iPad as my Air 2 is really nearing it's end of life (Battery lasts for ~2-3 hours at best).

Even though I will hold back on app-spendings I'll make room for more Korg stuff if/when released.

Cheers!

• Sometime during 2021 someone will release a "game changer"...

• @lazyass said:
    Crazy semi-modular drummachine/groovebox inspired by pulsar23 and prok drums
    Fun and streamlined granular fx like output portal
    Spectral fx like spectral resonator/time in ableton 11

ohhhhh i would love a pulsar type instrument

• If Scaler 2 came to iOS that would make my year. Tonality getting there slowly.

• @aleyas said:

@shinyisshiny said:
    Any new apps, updates etc??

I know we have Atom update coming,,,, any thing else? another @Hainbach app? sugarbytes makes another gamechanger drum synth? @Gavinski becomes a dev?? whats happening in 2021?

New Bleass granulator in January. Audio Damage is working on something new. The Audio Modeling Swam instruments will be released 2021. Music IO (usb audio to from ios+desktop) should see some new developments this year too. Drambo is gonna get a clip mode and enhanced sequencer functions (piano roll, variable sequence lengths etc)

drambo clip mode. yes yes. when does this show up?

• @Max23 said:
    I predict a new drambo mega thread ^^
    or two ^^

definitely not enough of those! 😏

• Borderlands to go AUv3

• Serum, Vital, and/or Synthmaster 2 for IOS would be on my list if we're doing wishes. I haven't heard rumors of Serum or Synthmaster 2 in a long while though and I've never seen anything about Vital to IOS. I have Nave, Synthmaster One and Wavestorm, but I would love to have any or all of these 3 on my iPad.

• Korg Odyssei as AUv3

I’m hoping the recent update (and first signs of life after 2 years’ silence) are portentous

...or it could just be my wishful thinking.

• edited December 2020

@tk32 said:
    Korg Odyssei as AUv3

I’m hoping the recent update (and first signs of life after 2 years’ silence) are portentous

...or it could just be my wishful thinking.

Well, if Korg wants to sell stuff on iOS, they need to update everything to AUv3. Hopefully this would not take too long since they are slowly achieving this with some of their apps.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Atom IAP update will be everything.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @gregsmith , the new SWAM Brass will be standalone.

I Second that notion

• its not a rumor, but a wish i have is that Fieldscaper and the rest of the Igor apps go AUV3... that would be game changer for me

• edited December 2020

@Jimmy said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    My big hope - more powerful iPad Pro 12.9” with M1 CPU and 8GB RAM!

And, if Apple listen to their fanbase, an MacTouch, a 15,6” handheld Mac with touchscreen, running MacOS Big Sur 11.3, with 16GB-RAM... I empty my wallet for that kind of product!

2500$ ?

Yes yes yes. I am giving Apple a last chance in the first half of 2021 to introduce a better ipad pro with Logic (variant). If not, will go with an Apple Silicon Mac. I would really love to have Logic on a touch screen. Mixing on the couch is what i want. 🙂
    Ipad is fantastic for getting ideas down, but so much extra work to finish songs. The things i miss in Garageband: convert drummer regions to MIDI to fine tune performance and track stacks to insert effects on certain drum elements only, then group them to use a compressor on the whole kit. Crossfades on audio regions, flex time and flex pitch, better midi editing in piano roll etc. All this in one project, saved. It’s a workflow killer on the ipad to use different apps, getting in and out, rendering, workarounds etc. Ipad is so fantastic though for many things Macs can’t do. Maybe Apple will succeed to sell me more products. Need an ipad, AND a Mac. 😂

@Jimmy : You might wanna give n-Tracks a try . The $29.95 version has 10 gigabytes of very Isis levels loops and 400 instrument sounds. Good step sequencer, effects, midi loops etc ..It’s universal and cross platform as well.

• @shinyisshiny said:

I know we have Atom update coming,,,, any thing else? another @Hainbach app? sugarbytes makes another gamechanger drum synth? @Gavinski becomes a dev?? whats happening in 2021?

Man, I’d love it if Hainbach’s wires vest was ported to iOS.

• In 2021 we'll be so spoilt for choice that we won't even know what app to open.

I hope Logic, Garageband and IDAM get some iOS integration improvements. 2 way audio over USB would be very nice.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @gregsmith , the new SWAM Brass will be standalone.

I Second that notion

Thanks both.

• @sevenape seriously!! i got it for desktop and use it in almost every track. I love it for trip hop stuff. just adds that grit and vibe. send him a message or comment and ask for an iOS port! ive already done it on pretty much every platform lol.

• edited December 2020

I’ve been wanting to try ios app development for years. I can’t justify the investment, though, for what would be basically a hobby. I’ve even contemplated the hackintosh route, but the mini is cute (and probably what I’d spend on a hackintosh, without the complications).
    Apart from a mini, which I can seem to get for €800+ would I need apple’s fancy keyboard, mouse and monitor? Or any one will do, with some tweaking?
    And what about music software, do I have to pay for everything or can I used pirated software? Well scratch that, I’m out of line... sorry

• @sevenape said:

@shinyisshiny said:

I had to read that a couple of times before I realized it was supposed to be VST. I figured @heinbach had some mad scientist vest contraption that turned biometrics into sounds and synths into biofeedback.

I’m kinda disappointed now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2020

@Liquidmantis said:

@sevenape said:

I had to read that a couple of times before I realized it was supposed to be VST. I figured @heinbach had some mad scientist vest contraption that turned biometrics into sounds and synths into biofeedback.

I’m kinda disappointed now.

Wires iOS vest :wink: would be amazing.

Atom 2 is something I'm looking forward to a lot.

Can't wait for the Koala update to be out there too.

Outside of those, Patterning 3 would be incredible (with more cells and AUv3 hosting)

Another shout for Odyssei AUv3 too.

The one thing I would love to see but have no notion of whether it's likely or not: iOS west coast synthesis. Any of the following would be amazing:

• The release of that Buchla clone that has been in development for years now (I'll try to find a link)

• Arturia getting back into iOS and dropping a Music Easel V port

• Madrona Labs porting Aalto to iOS

• Make Noise wrecking the whole game and dropping a Shared System app (yeah, I did get bought a LOT of alcohol for Christmas)

• NI porting a Reaktor player AUv3 that allows you to load in desktop ensembles (Cloudlab FTW!)

• @Telstar5 said:

@Jimmy said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    My big hope - more powerful iPad Pro 12.9” with M1 CPU and 8GB RAM!

And, if Apple listen to their fanbase, an MacTouch, a 15,6” handheld Mac with touchscreen, running MacOS Big Sur 11.3, with 16GB-RAM... I empty my wallet for that kind of product!

2500$ ?

Yes yes yes. I am giving Apple a last chance in the first half of 2021 to introduce a better ipad pro with Logic (variant). If not, will go with an Apple Silicon Mac. I would really love to have Logic on a touch screen. Mixing on the couch is what i want. 🙂
    Ipad is fantastic for getting ideas down, but so much extra work to finish songs. The things i miss in Garageband: convert drummer regions to MIDI to fine tune performance and track stacks to insert effects on certain drum elements only, then group them to use a compressor on the whole kit. Crossfades on audio regions, flex time and flex pitch, better midi editing in piano roll etc. All this in one project, saved. It’s a workflow killer on the ipad to use different apps, getting in and out, rendering, workarounds etc. Ipad is so fantastic though for many things Macs can’t do. Maybe Apple will succeed to sell me more products. Need an ipad, AND a Mac. 😂

@Jimmy : You might wanna give n-Tracks a try . The $29.95 version has 10 gigabytes of very Isis levels loops and 400 instrument sounds. Good step sequencer, effects, midi loops etc ..It’s universal and cross platform as well.

I will look into it! Thank you for the recommendation. Does it have something like garage band has drummer wise? So I can adjust the performance and turn it into midi and further edit? That is my biggest thing and logic pro. I’m not really an electronic guy so that’s why I love the drummers in garage band and logic. They have the live feel. Also i can put an insert effect and EQ on individual sounds and group them together and put a compressor on the group further again etc. This is where songwriting starts for me and I can’t find this workflow on iOS unless I do lots of work arounds which kills the vibe. Next thing: audio editing, cross fades between audio regions etc. iPAD OS came a long way though. I think Samu mentioned that Apple is discontinuing Music Memos. I looked up the information online and it says it will be no longer available from first of March next year. Maybe an ipad pro with M1 chip is coming + Logic on ipad? Better Garageband?
    Timing looks right. 😀

• edited December 2020

Finally a sampler that can outdo the mighty Roland vsynth as far as sample mangling is concerned...
    Roland could do this easily with sampleverse and clean up...let’s see if they do.

Everybody is making GAMECHANGING samplers that don’t change the game period...
    Wayyyyy back when Samplewiz came out, I thought ooooh yea this is going to be awesome...
    Then all the samplers that followed, except for samplr...got lame as poop fudge!

There are ancient hardware samplers out there beating all the hell from these iOS samplers of today.

For instance:

Roland vsynth...nothing even close to representing what this can do in hardware or software period. Causing the original hardware units to sell used for more than they were newly released. That alone should beckon the call of developers.

Apple alchemy as it is in Logic Pro...not the dramatically weak as water version that was clearly beaten by the original iOS version long ago... I mean wow Apple you bought it, killed my entire IAP library, killed the app, and then added a very limited one to garageband with a small bit of presets...yikes why? Full power Alchemy as a standalone app with 8 tracks, sequencer, and effects would be ridiculously juicy...but no...we can’t do that can we?

Iris 2 editing...? Where is this on iOS...doesn’t exist....well “virtual ANS” is in the vein but not there really...

RX type plug ins don’t exist on iOS, which would be handy for the task of altering samples as well...but nope

And unbelievably Melodyne editor is quite useful for sample manipulation...not on iOS

Let’s not forget serato sample...not on iOS...

We do have Drambo, which is in the vein of an elektron octatrack, it ultimately is not that either...and it does require a weekend science degree to use.

Sampling on iOS is back in the Stone Age, new tech, but simply old tech!

Even an emu ultra will slaughter most iOS apps as far as ability to alter samples goes.

Rant over...

Back to hardware, iOS is almost non existent to me now. Just more virtual analog synths that sound like all the other virtual analog synths, with maybe a gimmick or two...and still no unified experience like Auv3, etc. Thanks, but no thanks.

• edited December 2020

@MrSmileZ said:

Oh 2021 predictions...
    More YouTube stars will announce they have their own synths out, and those will be “game changing” but not change the game period, well, except for the bank accounts of said YouTube stars

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    The release of that Buchla clone that has been in development for years now (I'll try to find a link)

Are you referring to this?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32104/buchla-700-coming-to-ios-by-modosc-designs/p1

Madrona Labs porting Aalto to iOS

I'd love this too, it looks like it's in the horizon for them, but no specific plans yet besides the first stepping stone of native Apple silicon support for the desktop version.

• @MrSmileZ said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Oh 2021 predictions...
    More YouTube stars will announce they have their own synths out, and those will be “game changing” but not change the game period, well, except for the bank accounts of said YouTube stars

+1
    It reminds me some revolutionary samplers using IAA in 2020