Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random MacOS questions from a Windows user

Comments

• I can't stop following this thread. It should be renamed "tja's Roller Coaster Ride". You certainly avoid the middle, don't you? :smile:

• edited January 2021

@tja said:

@tja said:
    Adding those website to my TODO list, @Samu

Take my third "thanks" :smile:

I tried to enable the debug menu too, but as the webpage hints to, it seems to be gone in Big Sur.

Another website recommended to use "defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu YES" instead, but this did also not work.

I'm just using Onyx to enable it...

• Been a Mac guy my whole life, my mom had the first Classic being a graphic designer, and have too many Macs / iPads / Apple products than I care even admit. But I actually went the opposite way this year a got a Dell XPS, since I primarily use Cubase and Bitwig - both run noticeable better on Windows. Also Bitwig is designed for touch screen, and it’s super responsive and cancels then need for any midi control surface for parameter control. I’m sure Apple will add the touch screen soon, but it’s honestly hard to imagine not having it now.

I’m sure those new M1 Macs are insane, would love to try one. I guess so much of it all depends on what apps you use and if they are optimized for MacOS or windows. I still can’t believe I almost prefer windows now for the DAW environment, been forever thinking Mac was the only way. If Cubase can crush it on the new Mac I’ll probably be back. Have fun with that new Air!

• I have too much respect for OnyX for now, @Samu :#

But this helped me to understand that commands may silently fail, when the terminal App does not have all rights.

So, this was a Good Thing, finally.

• @tja said:
    I have too much respect for OnyX for now, @Samu :#

But this helped me to understand that commands may silently fail, when the terminal App does not have all rights.

So, this was a Good Thing, finally.

For most usecases using sudo before the terminal command(s) gives sufficient rights.

In earlier macOS versions it was easy to totally screw up the system with a simple sudo rm -rf / as it even deleted stuff on mounted networks shares without questioning and was often used to 'prank' terminal newbies ;)

• In my current experience, I noticed no difference between Apps for M1 or Intel, both run very well, @kdogg

But disabling SIP introduced some problems and I hope that this will be fixed.
    I still want to get rid of the powerd and it's strange ideas about waking up the Mac.

I got a Mac Mini, not a MB Air, BTW.

So far, I have no plans about music on macOS ... but then, I also never planned to use DEVONthink on a Mac and am using it now.

So, we will see.

• tjatja
    edited January 2021

@Samu said:
    For most usecases using sudo before the terminal command(s) gives sufficient rights.

Yes, I tend to use "sudo -s" when I need root for a session.

My problem simply is, that a command that fails because of missing permissions NEEDS to spit out some error message!

It is greatly misleading and opens the door for cans of problems, when you simply never know if a command worked or not.

This again is a strange idea from Apple, for sure.

In earlier macOS versions it was easy to totally screw up the system with a simple sudo rm -rf / as it even deleted stuff on mounted networks shares without questioning and was often used to 'prank' terminal newbies ;)

That even hurts while reading :D
    Poor victims :'(

• edited January 2021

@Samu said:
    In earlier macOS versions it was easy to totally screw up the system with a simple sudo rm -rf / as it even deleted stuff on mounted networks shares without questioning

Well I'm sorry, but that is exactly what rm -rf / is supposed to do. Any system where it does otherwise is fundamentally broken. ;)

The amount of "softening" and crutches being added to essentially all software systems nowadays is starting to get a bit disruptive.

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

@tja said:
    I found Emacs for macOS:

https://emacsformacosx.com

:-)

EDIT: Starting Emacs only produces a popup window with "Emacs.app can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"

:o

You'll get this often when installing apps not downloaded through the App Store. The solution is to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy. You should be able to override the block there. Rather than try to explain it, look under "How to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer" here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.

If you get a message saying something like "This app is incompatible with this version of MacOS," that's a different story. That one has to do with where the app is stored in the file system. Sometimes that can be worked around in unsupported ways that may or may not work. Not recommended.

• @wim said:

@tja said:
    I found Emacs for macOS:

https://emacsformacosx.com

:-)

EDIT: Starting Emacs only produces a popup window with "Emacs.app can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software"

:o

You'll get this often when installing apps not downloaded through the App Store. The solution is to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy. You should be able to override the block there. Rather than try to explain it, look under "How to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer" here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491.

If you get a message saying something like "This app is incompatible with this version of MacOS," that's a different story. That one has to do with where the app is stored in the file system. Sometimes that can be worked around in unsupported ways that may or may not work. Not recommended.

Hold control and right click on the app launcher, then it will give you the option to open it and will remember for that app going forward. Sometimes if you install an update to the app it will ask you again, so just do it again.

• @Masanga said:

@tja said:
    Just to document this:

I don't want to start a fight between Windows and MacOS, for sure!

But, I hope that I can write down my impressions and some feedback, while trying to get used to MacOS :smile:

I sure will have some problems and irritations :D

Yes, bring it on! Nobody will take umbrage; Mac users are just as annoyed by MacOS as everyone else…

I use a Mac at home and Windows at work.

I get frustrated with my operating system from time to time both at work and at home.

• Ah, many thanks for the explanation and hint, @wim and @mrufino1

I tried the control-rightbutton method, but this did not work for me.

I then looked into Security & Privacy and found that "Emacs.app" is not from an identified developer.

There I used "Open Anyway" and after that, I could open it repeatedly without any problems!

I used Emacs a longgggg time ago, so maybe this is also a valid editor for me.
    So many choices :o

• BTW, the next M1 or Big Sur problem:

One of my monitors (on the USB-C port) does not always get recognised, when I wake up the Mac from disk!

The monitor stays dark and will not be shown in the display preferences at all.
    I tried several things to no avail and only got it running again after un-plugin and re-plugin the USB-C port ...

I already heard about similar M1 problems in YouTube videos.

• @tja said:
    BTW, the next M1 or Big Sur problem:

One of my monitors (on the USB-C port) does not always get recognised, when I wake up the Mac from disk!

I tried several things to no avail and only got it running again after un-plugin and re-plugin the USB-C port ...

No m1 or Big Sur here, so I have no advice for that, sorry.

• I'm speechless:

This is the last thing that I would have expected.

Ever.

• And more of this shit:

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

@tja said:
    This is the last thing that I would have expected.

Ever.

Yawn. I care not whether Apple sends this info. Anyone with so much time on their hands that they manage to sniff traffic between my network and apple and all they find out is ... which apps I've opened? Wow. I kinda hope they get a life.

That's all this is: an unencrypted hash that if intercepted, which is not trivial to accomplish, would tell someone which apps you open. 🥱

• @tja said:
    And more of this shit:

And this one is just highlighting pure dumbness on the part of anyone who is concerned about privacy. Of course they log what you type in order to do a spotlight suggestion. How would they provide them if not?? Anyone who is in the least paranoid about security concerning search history should know well enough to do this. If not then they have a lot to learn.

Siri is the same concept.

• @tja said:

My monitor will not work from HDMI to DVI. The computer sees it, knows what it is, and has the correct resolution set. My monitor says something about the clock frequency is not compatible or something like that. Using a USB C hub and going out of HDMI there works fine.

This monitor works fine with other computers, including my 2012 mini. Connecting my TV to the new mini works fine.

I keep meaning to call Apple so they can collect logs to let their engineers know, but I haven’t gotten around to it. I don’t know if it’s something that can be fixed with firmware or not.

Oh dear, I’m now in a discussions.apple.com page. I’m not the only one with a Mini that HDMI to DVI is not working for.

• edited January 2021

@DMan said:

@tja said:

My monitor will not work from HDMI to DVI. The computer sees it, knows what it is, and has the correct resolution set. My monitor says something about the clock frequency is not compatible or something like that. Using a USB C hub and going out of HDMI there works fine.

This monitor works fine with other computers, including my 2012 mini. Connecting my TV to the new mini works fine.

I keep meaning to call Apple so they can collect logs to let their engineers know, but I haven’t gotten around to it. I don’t know if it’s something that can be fixed with firmware or not.

Oh dear, I’m now in a discussions.apple.com page. I’m not the only one with a Mini that HDMI to DVI is not working for.

Probably a longshot, but I've had an issue something like this with my 2019 Intel mini: when I connect it to the monitor in my (currently off-limits) office via HDMI to DVI, it won't come to life first time, but can always be persuaded eventually by either unplugging and reinserting the HDMI cable or by connecting the mini to my iPad and launching Duet. No idea whether this would work with an M1 model, though, or whether it's even the same problem.

• edited January 2021

@DMan said:

Sounds like an EDID issue to me.

• I updated my Mac Mini M1 to macOS 11.4

The first thing I noticed is that the contents from the Apple Launchpad was totally mixed and unusable to me.

I need to move many icons from one screen to another screen and so on.

Any decent operating system offers a way to choose a selection of icons to then handle them.

But googling around, it seem that this is still not possible on macOS, even after 10 years:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/19247/how-to-select-multiple-app-icons-in-launchpad-to-move-them

But maybe this is a wrong or old information? The latest entry is from 2019.
    Is there a way to easily sort icons in Launchpad, or do I need to spend hours to get this fixed again?

Many thanks!

• Can't help with this one really. I never use Launchpad and I even forget it's there. I kinda remember something about being able to group the applications like iOS does and that was supposed to handle issues with the way it all worked.

I do all my interactions with launching things from the doc and Spotlight if I'm launching apps directly and from iTerm or the Finder if I'm opening documents, so I don't ever reach for Launchpad.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

Same. I don't even think about it any more. I just hit <cmd><spacebar and type the first couple of letters of the app name then <return>. Way faster than clicking around all over the place.

But lots of people just have a strong need to organize everything. No way to convince them otherwise.

• I also never use the Launchpad. I either use Spotlight or I just use Finder to open the Applications.

You can organize and select multiple items in Finder by holding Cmd while selecting them. Then you can move them. Maybe don’t use Launchpad and just use Finder instead and make a shortcut to it. My guess is some preference file got reset after the update.

• @wim said:

@tja said:
    And more of this shit:

And this one is just highlighting pure dumbness on the part of anyone who is concerned about privacy. Of course they log what you type in order to do a spotlight suggestion. How would they provide them if not?? Anyone who is in the least paranoid about security concerning search history should know well enough to do this. If not then they have a lot to learn.

Siri is the same concept.

I always ignore this type of clickbait video, regardless of what the title claims. There are way too many people looking to make money from creating content by making a mountain out of a molehill then presenting it as if it’s the most shocking thing they’ve ever heard.

• tjatja
    edited June 2021

I use Launchpad only to sort Apps, rarely to start them,
    And I need to sort them, as there are several classes or groups of them, for example those that I need to start manually to get them checking for updates or iPads Apps that I still am evaluating and so on.

So it seems, that Apple again did not advance things.
    macOS could be so much better and more conventient.

Then I need to start a long manual session of sorting and moving single Apps and folders.
    Very sad.

Thanks a bunch!

• edited June 2021

I wouldn't expect apple to do anything with launchpad. It really should be relegated to an accessibilty feature. I dont know a single person that uses it. As far as organizing, maybe make shortcuts to your apps and organize them in folders in the finder?

• I like Launchpad. I have all Apple applications on page 1 and the remaining apps on page 2 organized into categories. I usually use Alfred to launch apps, but sometimes when I forget the name of an app I use Launchpad to find it - takes just 3 seconds

• tjatja
    edited July 2021

I've found another problem with macOS ...

I started to use different "spaces" to separate Apps.

And using control+left or control+right, it should switch between those spaces.

But ...

I have 2 monitors on my desk.

Switch left and right only switches the "space" on one monitor, not the other ...

This is very strange to me, as those spaces represent different usages (one for local terminal sessions, one for remote ssh sessions, one for Safari windows, one for DEVONthink, one for mixed Apps, all using both monitors for the same topic)

So, of course I need a way to switch between those space on both monitors, switching between use-cases.

I also used the virtual desktops on Windows, and this works seemlessly.

Is there a way to do the same on my Mac?
    Switch between space on both monitors simultaneously ...

Or is this - again - not possible, as Apple just tries to do things differently, for the sake of being different?
    Sorry for the rant, but ...