Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random MacOS questions from a Windows user

1131415161719»

Comments

• tjatja
    edited April 2023

Reboot of dock and Mac did not change nothing.
    But after the reboot, the Mac suddenly crashed!

This at least gave the opportunity to report this to Apple, with some explanation.

Hate Hate Hate

• I powered off all devices for an hour and then booted newly.

Now it is seems to work ...

• This little "story" is probably right up your alley...

So I wanted to encrypt my Mac Mini's hard disk.

Researched a bit and came to the conclusion that "FileVault" (a built-in MacOS feature) is the way to go if you want to encrypt the boot drive.

So went to System Preferences, Security, FileVault and clicked "Turn On FileVault". Easy enough. It started encrypting the disk right away while I was still able to use the system (good).

I then quickly realized that this is infeasible, as the Mac is headless and to enter the FileVault (login) password, you need to physically connect a keyboard and monitor.

So, wanted to stop the encryption process.

NOT POSSIBLE! I had to wait 12 hours for it to complete before I could revert the encryption.

This doesn't make a lot of sense -- I mean, the encryption seems to be per-file anyway (as otherwise I wouldn't be able to continue using the system with a half-encrypted drive), so it would probably be trivial at the system level to abort the encryption process at any time. There's just no UI for it.

Anyway, after encryption completed, I saw the biggest blunder: MacOS failed to update the "Turn On/Off FileVault" button. It originally said "Turn On FileVault", then after encryption finished, "Turn Off FileVault", which I pressed. But: After decryption finished as well, it didn't update again to "Turn On FileVault". So, I almost ended up encrypting my disk again (another 12 hours would've been added to the already 24 hours!) because of the wrong button label.

Oh well. Not that well implemented!

• Great experience, @SevenSystems
    I feel with you!

• I use this feature as well, but not head-less of course.

I don't really trust APFS ....
    Additionally, I use VeraCrypt for external disks and Cryptomator for Cloud storage.

• @tja said:
    I use this feature as well, but not head-less of course.

I don't really trust APFS ....
    Additionally, I use VeraCrypt for external disks and Cryptomator for Cloud storage.

Yeah I should've thought of the headless problem before encrypting the disk, but my brain isn't in the best working order recently 😄

I'm now using an encrypted, mounted APFS disk image (can be created via Disk Utility) as an "encrypted folder" instead (I don't need the OS itself to be encrypted), and on Linux I use LUKS.

• For me, it was important that I can use platform independent volumes - therefor VeraCrypt and Cryptomator.
    Also, VeraCrypt got an independent security audit, IIRC.

• Something new from me :-D

I got a new Mac, Mac Studio M2.
    Unbelievable frustration from my side!

• I tried to migrate from my M1 to this M2, but that did not work, as I it tried to copy about 900 GB from my accounts "Library", most probably it wanted to copy my OneDrive contents - so really badly programmed.

So, I just started new and added my account "tja".
    That did not work, as I demanded a "full name" too!
    I just entered a dot "." as full name.

What a mistake.

Now, everywhere this dot "." appears and NOT my username!

At the login screen, at the Mac descriptions, in logs:

".'s Mac Studio"

"s Mac Studio"

"."

I tried to change this, but it does not seem to be possible!
    Because "something" may not work then - it cannot be edited.

I could not find any trick to get this fixed.

• So, finally I gave up, powered the system off and bootet into the recovery menu to "reinstall macOS", which took 2 or 3 hours.

And what?

YES, the damn configuration is STILL the same!

Is there any way to reset this thing or do I really need to return it to Apple and get a new one?!?

I just don't get what Apple is doing everywhere ... it's so unnecessary,
    so stupid,
    so disturbing,
    so irritating.

:s

• After calming down, there seems to be a solution:

Add a second admin account and then juggle around:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548

I will try this

• This did not work too.
    The full name, cannot be edited - even from a second admin account.
    Not further comments.

But I could delete and re-create, probably loosing contents that I migrated from the other Mac.

Apple !!!
    This urge to control things that don't need to be controlled - or implemented in a better way.

• Did you check if they maybe just use a standard POSIX mechanism for storing the "Full name"? I seem to remember there is something like that and you should then be able to change it by editing /etc/passwd or something, but I may be completely off. No surprise given the constant stream of cars and tractors on the road next to my house 😂

• @SevenSystems said:
    Did you check if they maybe just use a standard POSIX mechanism for storing the "Full name"? I seem to remember there is something like that and you should then be able to change it by editing /etc/passwd or something, but I may be completely off. No surprise given the constant stream of cars and tractors on the road next to my house 😂

The users do not get stored in /etc/passwd ... of course I checked :-)
    There are only system users contained, lots and lots of them.

Thanks for the idea!

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Did you check if they maybe just use a standard POSIX mechanism for storing the "Full name"? I seem to remember there is something like that and you should then be able to change it by editing /etc/passwd or something, but I may be completely off. No surprise given the constant stream of cars and tractors on the road next to my house 😂

The users do not get stored in /etc/passwd ... of course I checked :-)
    There are only system users contained, lots and lots of them.

Thanks for the idea!

Hah, just checked and that's indeed the case. Crazy.

Have you checked this "Open Directory" thing?

• Thanks, @SevenSystems :-D
    No, did not yet check - I am configuring the new Mac.

I have a bit of fear that the Mac is broken somehow, if not Ventura does produce a sound like a dying hard disk when adding software or creating folders, by default.

Very creepy!

• tjatja
    edited August 2023

Yes, there is a really creepy sound for some actions done, which can be disabled in Settings / Sound / Play user interface sound effects ... what an idea :-O

But in some minutes, I am going to destroy the Apple defaults with TinkerTool and OnyX anyways :-D

• tjatja
    edited August 2023

My basic setup so far:

macOS Configuration

• WiFi off
    • BlueTooth off
    • Location off
    • Mouse natural scolling off
    • Enable FileVault
    • Disable user interface sounds
    • S&S - Siri Suggestions: Disable everything
    • S&S -Spotlight Privacy: Add all disks
    • S&S -Search Results: Only Apps and System Settings
    • Wallpaper: Grey
    • Screen Saver: Drift, with clock
    • D&D: Animate opening applications off
    • D&D: Windows & Apps: Ask to keep changes when closing documents
    • Mission Control: Disable automatic rearrangement of Spaces (what an idea)
    • Mission Control: Switch to Space with an App open

• Displays: Link to Mac or iPad: ??? How to enable? Possible with Monterey?

Basic Apps

App Store Apps

Free

• Drafts (Settings / General / disable "Index drafts in Spotlight")
    • Blackmagic Disk Speed Test

Buy

• 1Blocker
    • iA Writer
    • iThoughts
    • OTP Auth (probably not needed, because of Strongbox - don't enable yet)
    • Noir
    • StopTheMadness
    • Strongbox Pro (Lifetime)

Subscription

• Excel

Other Apps

Free

Problem:
    Cryptomator needs T-FUSE on macOS Ventura.
    VeraCrypt needs macFUSE instead.

Optional:

Buy

Optional:

MacPorts

Games

Only on external disk

Steam

GoG

Music

Only on external disk

DAWs

• BitWig
    • Reaper

Programming

Only on external disk

App configuration

After basic Apps installation:

• Enable Autofill for Strongbox
    • Enable Extensions in Safari, skip "Block Adult Sides", "Block Annoyances" and "OTP Auth" (for now).