Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random MacOS questions from a Windows user

Comments

• @tja said:

@rs2000 said:
    @tja To always open files with that extension in the same app, make sure you also hit the "Change All..." button.

Yes, but first, you would need to actually find one of the files for any type ... and it cannot be on any type of file system for you to be able to change the default!

Tried on hfs and ExFAT, both work.
    I never needed to find the file because I usually change the app to open with when I'm at the file. Nonetheless, just rename any file to the extension you want, associate, rename back.

I just wanted to express my disbelieve in what Apple feels is The Right Thing to do ..ßß

Yeah it happens regularly that some new "features" introduced with new OS versions or useful features being removed for no good reason keep me scratching my head (asking myself who in the world would want this...).

• @rs2000 said:

@tja said:

@rs2000 said:
    @tja To always open files with that extension in the same app, make sure you also hit the "Change All..." button.

Yes, but first, you would need to actually find one of the files for any type ... and it cannot be on any type of file system for you to be able to change the default!

Tried on hfs and ExFAT, both work.
    I never needed to find the file because I usually change the app to open with when I'm at the file. Nonetheless, just rename any file to the extension you want, associate, rename back.

I just wanted to express my disbelieve in what Apple feels is The Right Thing to do ..ßß

Yeah it happens regularly that some new "features" introduced with new OS versions or useful features being removed for no good reason keep me scratching my head (asking myself who in the world would want this...).

Beside APFS, I use ExFAT, MacFUSE and NFS.

Relevant for my data are is mostly MacFUSE (remote, encrypted cloud storage via Cryptomator)... and NFS (which is really WebDAV).

Indeed, only MacFUSE does not seem to work :-D

I was wrongly assuming that more types of file systems have a problem...

• @cazel said:

@tja said:
    As it seems, such a configuration not only needs an actual file to change the linking between file type and application to be started, noooooo - this also cannot be a file "somewhere"!
    I needed to first copy back one file from each type to my Downloads folder - and THEN I could change this!

And now tell me, that Apple has ANY clue about computers and conventience!
    They DONT!

And in general, how did Lumafusion changed this setting for seemingly any and all video formats?
    Why can't I change this globally and generally?

defaults write ?

I cannot find a way to do this.
    Is this possible?
    Any hint?

• @tja said:

@cazel said:

@tja said:
    As it seems, such a configuration not only needs an actual file to change the linking between file type and application to be started, noooooo - this also cannot be a file "somewhere"!
    I needed to first copy back one file from each type to my Downloads folder - and THEN I could change this!

They DONT!

And in general, how did Lumafusion changed this setting for seemingly any and all video formats?

defaults write ?

Is this possible?
    Any hint?

https://aporlebeke.wordpress.com/2020/07/16/configuring-a-macs-default-apps-for-different-file-types/

Try that, the SwiftDefaultApps should be right up your alley.

Took me about 2 minutes to Google...

• @Samu said:

@tja said:

@cazel said:

@tja said:

They DONT!

defaults write ?

Is this possible?
    Any hint?

https://aporlebeke.wordpress.com/2020/07/16/configuring-a-macs-default-apps-for-different-file-types/

I searched nearly 30 minutes 😅😢

But I only searched for usage of the "default" App, not such a free tool.
    I was assuming that macOS offers a way ...

Going to check out SwiftDefaultApps, many many thanks!

• Interesting, thanks!

But this only allow to see the default app for a file type, or?

• edited January 2023

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@cazel said:

@tja said:

They DONT!

defaults write ?

Is this possible?
    Any hint?

defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSHandlers -array-add \
    "<dict><key>LSHandlerContentTag</key>
    <string>PUT_FILE_EXTENSION_HERE_WITHOUT_PERIOD</string><key>LSHandlerContentTagClass</key>
    <string>public.filename-extension</string><key>LSHandlerRoleAll</key>
    <string>org.category.program</string></dict>"

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2969987/macosx-file-extension-associate-with-application-programmatically

• tjatja
    edited January 2023

@rs2000 said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@cazel said:

@tja said:

They DONT!

defaults write ?

Is this possible?
    Any hint?

<string>PUT_FILE_EXTENSION_HERE_WITHOUT_PERIOD</string><key>LSHandlerContentTagClass</key>

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2969987/macosx-file-extension-associate-with-application-programmatically

Wowwwww

Thanks!

And of course Apple did that totally right! 😅

Why would you EVER want something like "set_default_app Preview.app jpg jpeg png" or something easy, fast and understandable?

• @tja said:

@rs2000 said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@cazel said:

@tja said:

They DONT!

defaults write ?

Is this possible?
    Any hint?

Wowwwww

Thanks!

And if course Apple did that totally right! 😅

Why would you EVER want something like "set_default_app Preview.app jpg jpeg png" or something easy, fast and understandable?

😄
    Well at least you have both options and the simple "Change all..." always worked for me (except when I forgot to push this button 😂)

• You can clearly see macOS's early 2000s UNIX heritage: anything "advanced" has to be done on the command line 😂

• @SevenSystems said:
    You can clearly see macOS's early 2000s UNIX heritage: anything "advanced" has to be done on the command line 😂

Nothing on any Unix I know ever required commands and syntax like the above ...

😅

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:
    You can clearly see macOS's early 2000s UNIX heritage: anything "advanced" has to be done on the command line 😂

Nothing on any Unix I know ever required commands and syntax like the above ...

😅

Yes, that's because macOS is somehow a strange hybrid that is based on a "proper" UNIX derivative (FreeBSD), but then there's added stuff adhering to the NeXTStep philosophy apparently (plists, the filesystem structure, ...?) and at the same time, a lot of stuff that made UNIX good in the first place is deliberately obstructed or obscured.

For me personally, if I want a proper UNIX-derived desktop operating system, I'd go with Linux + GNOME or Plasma. If I want a generic mainstream OS that "just works", I'd choose Windows.

• I am considering a Linux KVM box with a virtual instance of Linux, macOS and Windows each.
    At least I read somewhere that macOS can be installed in such a way

• @tja defaults write is a good solution to annoying macos -esp ventura- problems.

defaults write -g AppleICUDateFormatStrings -dict-add 1 "dd.MM.yy"

defaults write com.apple.screencapture name "ss"
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Downloads/

check out github! there are many reps for 'macos defaults'

• just curious 👀 have you tried cryptomator 1.7.0 @tja

• Nice @cazel! Thanks.

• @cazel said:
    just curious 👀 have you tried cryptomator 1.7.0 @tja

Latest seems to be 1.6.17

Is this a beta?

I don't try betas for something like this 😅

Is there something important new in this?

• @rs2000 said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@cazel said:

@tja said:

They DONT!

defaults write ?

Is this possible?
    Any hint?

Do you have any idea, how to get the "org.category.program" part for an App?

Like com.apple.iTunes

• @tja said:

@rs2000 said:

@tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@cazel said:

@tja said:

They DONT!

defaults write ?

Is this possible?
    Any hint?

Do you have any idea, how to get the "org.category.program" part for an App?

Like com.apple.iTunes

I tried this:

$ cat ~/bin/set_defaults.sh
    #! /opt/local/bin/bash

APP="$1"
    shift

if [ ! -d "${APP}" ] ; then
        echo "Usage: $0 /path/to/App.app <type> [ ... ]"

exit 1
    fi

NAME=$( basename ${APP} .app )

DOMAIN=$( /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print CFBundleIdentifier" $( find "${APP}" -name Info.plist | tail -1 ) )

TYPES="$@"

for t in ${TYPES} ; do
    <string>${t}</string><key>LSHandlerContentTagClass</key>
    <string>${DOMAIN}</string></dict>"
    done

/System/Library/Frameworks//CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -domain local -domain system -domain user

exit $?

But it does not work after:

$ ~/bin/set_defaults.sh /Applications/VLC.app mov mp4 avi

and

~/bin/set_defaults.sh /Applications/VLC.app m4a

The "domain" is:

$ /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print CFBundleIdentifier" $( find /Applications/VLC.app -name Info.plist | tail -1 )
    org.videolan.vlc

• tjatja
    edited March 2023

I noticed something new:

My Finder window uses some "categories" of content, instead of a plain sorted list of file names.

I see:

• Documents
    • Spreadsheets
    • Presentations
    • PDF Documents
    • Mail & Messages
    • Images
    • Movies
    • Music
    • Developer and
    • Other

And the files are sorted below those categories, which means that the most recently changed files (my sort criteria) are NOT at the top or bottom anymore ...

I did not ask it to do this!

Is this the normal behavior for the $HOME folder?
    I cannot see the same in other folders!

Or may this be related to me using "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true ; killall Finder" to be able to see hidden folders?!?

I am still at Monterey 12.6

• Maybe you accidentally when hunting for key new combos tripped on Option + Command + 0 and enabled Groups in the finder... (View -> Use Groups)

• tjatja
    edited March 2023

@Samu said:
    Maybe you accidentally when hunting for key new combos tripped on Option + Command + 0 and enabled Groups in the finder... (View -> Use Groups)

Oh yes, that's it!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Many thanks, you saved my day!

• tjatja
    edited March 2023

macOS Software Update seems to be able to install certain updates automatically.

But how?!?

First, I enabled "Automatically keep my Mac up to date".
    Then, in the "Advanced" menu, I disabled macOS and App Store updates:

But this disables "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" again, as you can see.

Still, I was thinking that the selected options like security updates would be installed automatically!

But now, I noticed that nothing ever happened!

Clicking on "More info" below "Other updates are available." I see this:

So, nothing was done automatically - neither SF symbols nor Safari got updated!
    I could do this manually, but that was what was selected and promised to be done automatically ...

At least the Safari update is a security update, which should have been installed!

Did I do something wrong, or does this just not work as advertised by Apple?

• @tja check with defaults read if your configs are ok
    system updates
    appstore updates

• @cazel said:
    @tja check with defaults read if your configs are ok
    system updates
    appstore updates

H, great - thanks!
    Will have a look at this tomorrow, back at the Mac 🤗

• @cazel said:
    mullvad browser 💛

VPN and Tor are just security illusions, sadly.

• @tja its actually not about vpn at all. more like arkenfox ready ff.

• I updated to the latest Monterey version 13.3.1 and started to have problems:

My second monitor, connected by USB-C over my Thunderbolt dock constantly disconnects for a short time and then comes back.

Sometimes, but far less often, an external SSD disk, connected by USB-C to the same dock disconnects and reconnects, asking again for it's password.

To test, if the dock is the problem, I connected a second SSD disk over USB-A - it shows the same behavior.

So it seems that the new macOS version does not like my Thunderbolt dock, which is the heart of my setup.

I knew why I was cautious with any updates ....

But there are more very very strange things.
    I did power-off the dock, to reset it.

Of course the monitor and the disks disconnected.

Strange is, that all my windows on the second monitor are unreachable now!
    Klicking on their icons does not bring them to the front, also "show all windows" does not help.

And the disconnected disks ask for entering their password - and as long as those windows were open, i could NOT type anywhere, also not in the webbrowser! I needed to either enter the password in the popup or close the popup.

Apple is ...simply unbelievable.