Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Random MacOS questions from a Windows user

17810121319

Comments

  • I think I found it, in the preferences of "Mission Control".
    Going to test the options :-)

    First test: Switching left and right uses an annoying animation instead of an instant switch.
    Going to search for a solution ...

  • wimwim
    edited July 2021

    @tja said:
    Or is this - again - not possible, as Apple just tries to do things differently, for the sake of being different?

    So ... Windows is "normal" and anyone who doesn't do it the same does so just to be "different"? Who's to say it isn't the other way around. ;) B)

    Sorry ... I'm just messing with you. I can't help but point out logical fallacies. Pls ignore. :D

  • tjatja
    edited July 2021

    Found it:

    defaults write com.apple.dock workspaces-swoosh-animation-off -bool YES
    killall Dock
    

    EDIT: Does not seem to work ... seek more

  • @wim said:

    @tja said:
    Or is this - again - not possible, as Apple just tries to do things differently, for the sake of being different?

    So ... Windows is "normal" and anyone who doesn't do it the same does so just to be "different"? Who's to say it isn't the other way around. ;) B)

    Sorry ... I'm just messing with you. I can't help but point out logical fallacies. Pls ignore. :D

    No, there is no "normal" or a "standard" ...

    But there is common sense.

    Most people I know of use such "screens" or "desktops" to separate use-cases, for example programming in one, webbrowsing in the other.

    And for this, switching all monitors simulaneously is of course better, in common sense ;-)

  • wimwim
    edited July 2021

    It's nice that they provide the option to do it "sensical" or "nonsensical".

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on. I guess common sense isn't always my thing. ;)

  • @wim said:
    It's nice that they provide the option to do it "sensical" or "nonsensical".

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on. I guess common sense isn't always my thing. ;)

    I can think of some applications for the default setting too!

    But as a default, I think that "separate" desktops comprising all monitors would be better.
    Normally, you try to get all things that that you need to see at the same time (on all monitors) and only need more virtual desktops or spaces when you have additional use-cases.

    Just from my experience how people use those things, but yes, this is mostly on Windows and Linux.

  • tjatja
    edited July 2021

    @tja said:
    Found it:

    defaults write com.apple.dock workspaces-swoosh-animation-off -bool YES
    killall Dock
    

    EDIT: Does not seem to work ... seek more

    This does simply not work anymore.

    I even tried Onyx and Tinker Tool but found no solution.
    So frustrating.

  • tjatja
    edited July 2021

    @tja said:

    @wim said:
    It's nice that they provide the option to do it "sensical" or "nonsensical".

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on. I guess common sense isn't always my thing. ;)

    I can think of some applications for the default setting too!

    But as a default, I think that "separate" desktops comprising all monitors would be better.
    Normally, you try to get all things that that you need to see at the same time (on all monitors) and only need more virtual desktops or spaces when you have additional use-cases.

    Just from my experience how people use those things, but yes, this is mostly on Windows and Linux.

    And thinking about that, it would be great to have this option!
    So, to either switch between all monitors simultaneously, or just on the current monitor.
    One with control+left|right and the other with command+left|right, for example ...

    But this does not seem to be possible - you can have only either this or that.
    If I did not miss something.

    That's a bit sad.

  • @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

  • @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

  • @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

  • tjatja
    edited July 2021

    @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    :-D :-D :-D

    But ... I start to get comfortable with my Mac Mini.
    Some things are still annoying, but I got used to most.

  • @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    LOL 👌

    My strategy is to admit (meaning not trying to fight) the facts, namely that

    • Apple is still a brilliant hardware company but, at this point, a pretty backward software company
    • I have no reasonable alternative to using their system for music production

    I'm not saying this makes all problems go away, but at least I'm not wasting time and mental health trying to recreate all the good things, or just obvious stuff, that work on Windows or Android so well. 🤷

  • edited July 2021

    @ervin said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    LOL 👌

    My strategy is to admit (meaning not trying to fight) the facts, namely that

    • Apple is still a brilliant hardware company but, at this point, a pretty backward software company

    Hah, wow, someone else finally says it. Exactly what I've been saying for years. Their HARDWARE is decent, their SOFTWARE sucks (now). Most people for some intergalactic reason insist it's the other way around.

    • I have no reasonable alternative to using their system for music production

    I'm not saying this makes all problems go away, but at least I'm not wasting time and mental health trying to recreate all the good things, or just obvious stuff, that work on Windows or Android so well. 🤷

    Well, if I had to return to full-time commercial music production again, I would probably try to settle on Bitwig on Linux. Most "power users", especially those stuck on macOS, would probably fall off their chairs if they saw what's possible on Linux with Plasma, and how flexible it is. The possibilities are truly boundless.

    But good stuff always fails in the long run, because society is based on mediocrity </philosopher>

  • @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    :-D :-D :-D

    But ... I start to get comfortable with my Mac Mini.
    Some things are still annoying, but I got used to most.

    Watch out! 😮 We tend to get used to subpar situations out of laziness... but we should never accept something that's wrong™️ ☝️☝️☝️

  • wimwim
    edited July 2021

    @SevenSystems said:
    Watch out! 😮 We tend to get used to subpar situations out of laziness... but we should never accept something that's wrong™️ ☝️☝️☝️

    I prefer to be happy. There's too much wrong in life that is beyond any reasonable level of control to stress over it all. I don't call that laziness, I call it the art of maintaining contentment.

    It's never going to bug me that something doesn't work just the way I want it to when the actual impact to my life is on the order of a few minutes a month. ;)

  • edited July 2021

    @wim said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    Watch out! 😮 We tend to get used to subpar situations out of laziness... but we should never accept something that's wrong™️ ☝️☝️☝️

    I prefer to be happy. There's too much wrong in life that is beyond any reasonable level of control to stress over it all. I don't call that laziness, I call it the art of maintaining contentment.

    Yeah, that's a perfectly valid attitude of course... I somehow think that trying to desperately fix things is in my DNA. There's a reason even my classmates in high school used to greet me with "Alexander saves the world" when I entered :)

    It's never going to bug me that something doesn't work just the way I want it to when the actual impact to my life is on the order of a few minutes a month. ;)

    That's the thing though, I think most people underestimate how much their lives are impacted. For example, I have kept book of my work efficiency with very similar tasks done from my "real" office (2 large monitors, Model M keyboard, mouse, large high-quality desk, optimal ergonomic setup etc.) with work done from my already large 19" laptop. The efficiency was less than 50% on the laptop.

    Maybe my German engineering mindset :D

  • https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/19/how-does-apple-technology-hold-up-against-nso-spyware

    “Apple’s self-assured hubris is just unparalleled,” said Patrick Wardle, a former NSA employee and founder of the Mac security developer Objective-See. “They basically believe that their way is the best way. And to be fair … the iPhone has had incredible success.

    “But you talk to any external security researcher, they’re probably not going to have a lot of great things to say about Apple. Whereas if you talk to security researchers in dealing with, say, Microsoft, they’ve said: ‘We’re gonna put our ego aside, and ultimately realise that the security researchers are reporting vulnerabilities that at the end of the day are benefiting our users, because we’re able to patch them.’ I don’t think Apple has that same mindset.”

  • @Carnbot said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/19/how-does-apple-technology-hold-up-against-nso-spyware

    “Apple’s self-assured hubris is just unparalleled,” said Patrick Wardle, a former NSA employee and founder of the Mac security developer Objective-See. “They basically believe that their way is the best way. And to be fair … the iPhone has had incredible success.

    “But you talk to any external security researcher, they’re probably not going to have a lot of great things to say about Apple. Whereas if you talk to security researchers in dealing with, say, Microsoft, they’ve said: ‘We’re gonna put our ego aside, and ultimately realise that the security researchers are reporting vulnerabilities that at the end of the day are benefiting our users, because we’re able to patch them.’ I don’t think Apple has that same mindset.”

    Apple is constantly enforcing their customers to you their horrible 2 Factor Authentication.
    This thing would be OK, just a second factor to login.
    But....

    The allow the second factor to reset and change the password, over email or a device or - horribly - an SMS to the SIM card of you phone number.
    And that just opens a giant hole for hackers or your family (after your death).

    Because of that, I cannot even use an iPad in sidebar mode for the Mac, as 2FA is already requiree for this. And more things require this too, cannot recall right now.

  • @tja said:

    @Carnbot said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jul/19/how-does-apple-technology-hold-up-against-nso-spyware

    “Apple’s self-assured hubris is just unparalleled,” said Patrick Wardle, a former NSA employee and founder of the Mac security developer Objective-See. “They basically believe that their way is the best way. And to be fair … the iPhone has had incredible success.

    “But you talk to any external security researcher, they’re probably not going to have a lot of great things to say about Apple. Whereas if you talk to security researchers in dealing with, say, Microsoft, they’ve said: ‘We’re gonna put our ego aside, and ultimately realise that the security researchers are reporting vulnerabilities that at the end of the day are benefiting our users, because we’re able to patch them.’ I don’t think Apple has that same mindset.”

    Apple is constantly enforcing their customers to you their horrible 2 Factor Authentication.
    This thing would be OK, just a second factor to login.
    But....

    The allow the second factor to reset and change the password, over email or a device or - horribly - an SMS to the SIM card of you phone number.
    And that just opens a giant hole for hackers or your family (after your death).

    Because of that, I cannot even use an iPad in sidebar mode for the Mac, as 2FA is already requiree for this. And more things require this too, cannot recall right now.

    The problem also is that the walled garden approach does not necessarily produce the most resilient software. Lots of people buy Apple products on the assumption they are really secure but we're realising they are not.

  • As this is my "problems with macOS" topic, i am going to repeat what I posted in another topic:

    My USB Hub is now connected to the Thunderbolt Dock and does NOT loose connectivity to keyboard and mouse anymore, after a sleep or a lock-screen!
    So, my daily situation got much better.

    Only one of my monitors still shows the same behavior and does not come back after a sleep.
    Massively annoying.

    In this case, I need to unplug the USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable at the Mac - it does not suffice to unplug at the monitor.
    Again annoying.

    And I cannot even open a case at Apple.
    They only allow you to give "feedback" without any reply.

  • @SevenSystems said:
    That's the thing though, I think most people underestimate how much their lives are impacted. For example, I have kept book of my work efficiency with very similar tasks done from my "real" office (2 large monitors, Model M keyboard, mouse, large high-quality desk, optimal ergonomic setup etc.) with work done from my already large 19" laptop. The efficiency was less than 50% on the laptop.

    Stumbled across this hitting the Random button on xkcd 😎

    https://xkcd.com/1205/

  • Now, shaving of 50% from a daily 8 hour task, is 4 hours daily, @wim

    Not part of the table, but the table is off anyways.

    But it seems to justify up to 2,5 years of preparation work across 5 years and 10 years across a 20 year span of time :-)

  • I disabled Spotlight as much as possible on my Mac, but for some strange reason, I cannot disable it on my Time Machine disk.

    Constantly, I get massive CPU and disk usage from mdworker, mdworker_shared and mdbulkimport processes.

    And this does not seem to end ...

    Again, it seems near impossible get the Mac in a usable state.
    And I do not believe that Spotlight is technically required for Time Machine, as for the first backups, they worked fine - even as Spotlight did not yet run on the volume.

  • tjatja
    edited August 2021

    Hehe:

    mini:~ root# pkill -9 -f mdworker
    mini:~ root# pgrep -f mdworker
    mini:~ root#

    USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND
    tja 665 0.0 0.6 411210432 107472 ?? S Wed02PM 0:07.09 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/corespotlightd
    mini:~ root# kill 665
    mini:~ root# ps auxwww 665
    USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND

    We will see if that helps.

  • @SevenSystems said:

    @ervin said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    LOL 👌

    My strategy is to admit (meaning not trying to fight) the facts, namely that

    • Apple is still a brilliant hardware company but, at this point, a pretty backward software company

    Hah, wow, someone else finally says it. Exactly what I've been saying for years. Their HARDWARE is decent, their SOFTWARE sucks (now). Most people for some intergalactic reason insist it's the other way around.

    • I have no reasonable alternative to using their system for music production

    I'm not saying this makes all problems go away, but at least I'm not wasting time and mental health trying to recreate all the good things, or just obvious stuff, that work on Windows or Android so well. 🤷

    Well, if I had to return to full-time commercial music production again, I would probably try to settle on Bitwig on Linux. Most "power users", especially those stuck on macOS, would probably fall off their chairs if they saw what's possible on Linux with Plasma, and how flexible it is. The possibilities are truly boundless.

    But good stuff always fails in the long run, because society is based on mediocrity </philosopher>

    I’m sure you already know this, but you can install Linux on a Mac.

    https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-linux-and-mac-os-4125733

  • corespotlightd came back :-(

    Lots of others have similar issues:

    https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/675482

    I cannot use a system that I cannot configure in way that I am happy with it.
    I cannot even get "suspend to disk" to work as documented.

    Need to think about the situation and seek a comprimise of sort.

  • tjatja
    edited August 2021

    @NeuM said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @ervin said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    LOL 👌

    My strategy is to admit (meaning not trying to fight) the facts, namely that

    • Apple is still a brilliant hardware company but, at this point, a pretty backward software company

    Hah, wow, someone else finally says it. Exactly what I've been saying for years. Their HARDWARE is decent, their SOFTWARE sucks (now). Most people for some intergalactic reason insist it's the other way around.

    • I have no reasonable alternative to using their system for music production

    I'm not saying this makes all problems go away, but at least I'm not wasting time and mental health trying to recreate all the good things, or just obvious stuff, that work on Windows or Android so well. 🤷

    Well, if I had to return to full-time commercial music production again, I would probably try to settle on Bitwig on Linux. Most "power users", especially those stuck on macOS, would probably fall off their chairs if they saw what's possible on Linux with Plasma, and how flexible it is. The possibilities are truly boundless.

    But good stuff always fails in the long run, because society is based on mediocrity </philosopher>

    I’m sure you already know this, but you can install Linux on a Mac.

    https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-linux-and-mac-os-4125733

    Not possible on M1, I fear.

    Anyways, I want to use a Desktop OS.
    That used to be Windows, but I was willing to switch to Mac.
    But I simply cannot configure that Mac in a usefull way.
    Only disabling SIP could probably help, but I tried this already and it did not work as expected.

    I may get a new Windows PC and only compile stuff remotely on the Mac, rendering it into a server without monitor, keyboard or mouse.
    Not sure how to continue.

  • @tja said:

    @NeuM said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @ervin said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    LOL 👌

    My strategy is to admit (meaning not trying to fight) the facts, namely that

    • Apple is still a brilliant hardware company but, at this point, a pretty backward software company

    Hah, wow, someone else finally says it. Exactly what I've been saying for years. Their HARDWARE is decent, their SOFTWARE sucks (now). Most people for some intergalactic reason insist it's the other way around.

    • I have no reasonable alternative to using their system for music production

    I'm not saying this makes all problems go away, but at least I'm not wasting time and mental health trying to recreate all the good things, or just obvious stuff, that work on Windows or Android so well. 🤷

    Well, if I had to return to full-time commercial music production again, I would probably try to settle on Bitwig on Linux. Most "power users", especially those stuck on macOS, would probably fall off their chairs if they saw what's possible on Linux with Plasma, and how flexible it is. The possibilities are truly boundless.

    But good stuff always fails in the long run, because society is based on mediocrity </philosopher>

    I’m sure you already know this, but you can install Linux on a Mac.

    https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-linux-and-mac-os-4125733

    Not possible on M1, I fear.

    Anyways, I want to use a Desktop OS.
    That used to be Windows, but I was willing to switch to Mac.
    But I simply cannot configure that Mac in a usefull way.
    Only disabling SIP could probably help, but I tried this already and it did not work as expected.

    I may get a new Windows PC and only compile stuff remotely on the Mac, rendering it into a server without monitor, keyboard or mouse.
    Not sure how to continue.

    It appears to be possible to install on an M1, with some caveats.

    https://igetmac.com/install-linux-on-m1-macs/

  • @NeuM said:

    @tja said:

    @NeuM said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @ervin said:

    @SevenSystems said:

    @tja said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    @wim said:

    I can think of some use cases where I would prefer to keep one monitor always displaying the same thing no matter what else I'm working on.

    In that case, any remotely sophisticated desktop will offer you a "pin" or "on all desktops" toggle so you can keep those windows in view.

    That's possible with the Dock on macOS!
    Right-click on the dock-icon and then configure within Options.

    Whoops, you're right. Sorry, the words "macOS" and "possible" in one sentence are a bit unexpected 😂

    LOL 👌

    My strategy is to admit (meaning not trying to fight) the facts, namely that

    • Apple is still a brilliant hardware company but, at this point, a pretty backward software company

    Hah, wow, someone else finally says it. Exactly what I've been saying for years. Their HARDWARE is decent, their SOFTWARE sucks (now). Most people for some intergalactic reason insist it's the other way around.

    • I have no reasonable alternative to using their system for music production

    I'm not saying this makes all problems go away, but at least I'm not wasting time and mental health trying to recreate all the good things, or just obvious stuff, that work on Windows or Android so well. 🤷

    Well, if I had to return to full-time commercial music production again, I would probably try to settle on Bitwig on Linux. Most "power users", especially those stuck on macOS, would probably fall off their chairs if they saw what's possible on Linux with Plasma, and how flexible it is. The possibilities are truly boundless.

    But good stuff always fails in the long run, because society is based on mediocrity </philosopher>

    I’m sure you already know this, but you can install Linux on a Mac.

    https://www.lifewire.com/dual-boot-linux-and-mac-os-4125733

    Not possible on M1, I fear.

    Anyways, I want to use a Desktop OS.
    That used to be Windows, but I was willing to switch to Mac.
    But I simply cannot configure that Mac in a usefull way.
    Only disabling SIP could probably help, but I tried this already and it did not work as expected.

    I may get a new Windows PC and only compile stuff remotely on the Mac, rendering it into a server without monitor, keyboard or mouse.
    Not sure how to continue.

    It appears to be possible to install on an M1, with some caveats.

    https://igetmac.com/install-linux-on-m1-macs/

    Oh, interesting.

    Thanks!

    But still, I don't want Linux for my desktop ...

Sign In or Register to comment.