Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Studio Desk / Table Build

What type of table/desk/structure are you using in your studio?

Any unique uses for off brand or repurpose ideas for the forum?

Synth stands?

Wiring tricks?

DIY?

Comments

• For the table I use a large hard plastic table I bought from Walmart for about $40. It’s big enough to fit the short Apple keyboard, Panorama P1 (such an underrated yet awesome MIDI controller!), a Beatstep Pro, two Himalayan salt lamps, a 10 socket surge protector, a powered USB extender, a 12” iPad, an iPhone stand, and plenty of room to spare for my bong, pipe, and food.

I stuck a 6” riser and some wooden blocks underneath each leg so I can raise it to a reasonable level to be able to stand while producing. I bought an adjustable stool so that it matches the height of the table. I have height adjustable speaker monitor stands. I also have a fatigue mat to stand on. Then I have a random cardboard box that I use to rest my feet on when sitting. I also have an old small desk that I put my 2011 iMac on (still running strong with LPX 10.4!) with risers underneath. This setup allows me to sit or stand at will without having to adjust anything except for moving the fatigue mat. I noticed that when I’m in the creative process I like to stand so I can bob with the music. When I’m in the mixing process I prefer to sit. This also helps me burn a little bit of calories since I’m standing for awhile.

I bought a $30 synth stand from Guitar Center for my MIDI keyboard.

Eventually I plan on designing a wooden table with height-adjustable legs and a slight U-shaped cutout so I don’t have to hunch forward so much but my setup works for now.

• Might have to buy a thicker mdf piece and just cut the same shape as what Iv made. I use lamical ipad stands with weights but need to buy a stand for fadrfox ( which will stand on a box ) I will show you when complete. It just means I cant sit down but thats fine. Who sits down. Its on a unit which has clothes in but might spare a draw for vinyl should I bother buying vinyl. Its basically a keyboard that dosent have controls ( faders etc ) so keys just need to show. It brings everything else forward on a different level, which were essential sitting down. Its just a piece of wood with nocks ( blocks underneath, on a unit )

• I need to build something new to accommodate what I am doing musically.

• That is an impressive rig @RUST( i )K it’s missing a banjo, tho.

• Nice, that looks great! I like the printed panel that looks as if you’re looking out a window.

• My almost finished new to me studio desk, an omnirax commander that was given to me by the producer I was assisting. I wish I wasn’t still in my dark basement, although some LED lights are coming today, so hopefully there’s a little more vibe. This pic was last week, so a few things have moved but there setup is essentially the same. I have 2 more panels to put somewhere, but I have to figure out where they will do the most good in this less than ideal space. The funky print on the two hanging panels is because I found 4 4” thick 2’x4’ acoustic panels on Craigslist for $80, so I didn’t care what they look like as long as they work. Someday I’ll remedy that...

• @LinearLineman said:
    That is an impressive rig @RUST( i )K it’s missing a banjo, tho.

The Ibanez acoustic guitar is directly behind laptop, the Fender Precision in storage, the Martin acoustic at my folks house, and the 69 Strat with black cherry neck is there as well. I do have some toy pianos and other jiggers off screen! LOL

• @RUST( i )K said:

@LinearLineman said:

The Ibanez acoustic guitar is directly behind laptop, the Fender Precision in storage, the Martin acoustic at my folks house, and the 69 Strat with black cherry neck is there as well. I do have some toy pianos and other jiggers off screen! LOL

I need your job :D

• Situated in a small alcove so 3 available walls to attach lengths of 2x2 to. Sheet of 24mm flooring panel cut to fit. Plonk on 2x2s. It's not pretty but I'm always cutting holes in it or chopping it about so it doesn't matter. Cost very little. Could be laminated but doubt I'll ever get round to it.

• edited December 2020

Nothing fancy here and hardly a studio. Just an evolving mashup of Ikea stuff. A standard table with two drawer units underneath. A coffee table screwed on top with a book shelf on the side and two shanty arm rests clamped on.

• Two adjustable trestles from IKEA with a piece of general purpose 18mm mdf on top.

Link for the trestles

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/finnvard-trestle-with-shelf-birch-30345717/

• @SevenSystems said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@LinearLineman said:

I need your job :D

LOL

I want to learn to code!

• @AudioGus said:
    Nothing fancy here and hardly a studio. Just an evolving mashup of Ikea stuff. A standard table with two drawer units underneath. A coffee table screwed on top with a book shelf on the side and two shanty arm rests clamped on.

Sleak! Me like! I would love to go minimal at times!

• @mrufino1 said:
    My almost finished new to me studio desk, an omnirax commander that was given to me by the producer I was assisting. I wish I wasn’t still in my dark basement, although some LED lights are coming today, so hopefully there’s a little more vibe. This pic was last week, so a few things have moved but there setup is essentially the same. I have 2 more panels to put somewhere, but I have to figure out where they will do the most good in this less than ideal space. The funky print on the two hanging panels is because I found 4 4” thick 2’x4’ acoustic panels on Craigslist for $80, so I didn’t care what they look like as long as they work. Someday I’ll remedy that...

Feeling you on the dark basement thing. Plus, my furnace is in the same space and sounds like a Harley every time it cuts on. Our house is old and leaky so it seems to turn on an awful lot!

• @Gravitas said:
    Two adjustable trestles from IKEA with a piece of general purpose 18mm mdf on top.

Link for the trestles

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/finnvard-trestle-with-shelf-birch-30345717/

Youch. Those are nice. Seemed like a pretty good deal at £25 but they're $50 USD. Since I wouldn't often be adjusting the height in the studio, plain old saw horses seem a better path.

• I’m using an ikea stand that I found at goodwill for $20. It’s really cramped and doesn’t have enough room for all of my gear. But, I’m limited in space with my oldest son, his wife and my granddaughter temporarily living with us. I’m relegated to a tiny corner of my bedroom. I can’t even fit my Moog Grandmother and my Toraiz Squid in the room...so, they’re just chilling in a closet for now.😫

• Interesting to see other people’s set ups. I really need to reorganize all my hardware and have been trying to plan out how to stack things. I’ll probably buy the timber and custom build something, but really need to figure out where to put everything on my desk (large, heavy L-shaped commercial desk) based on where keyboards and my piano are. Various acoustic instruments and guitars I can move around, but I really need to optimize my space and replan all my cabling.

• @michael_m said:
    Interesting to see other people’s set ups. I really need to reorganize all my hardware and have been trying to plan out how to stack things. I’ll probably buy the timber and custom build something, but really need to figure out where to put everything on my desk (large, heavy L-shaped commercial desk) based on where keyboards and my piano are. Various acoustic instruments and guitars I can move around, but I really need to optimize my space and replan all my cabling.

same

• A game changer for me was treating my desk more like a workbench, were I only plug in the things I'm using at any one time. All the power supplies and audio/midi/usb cables are already plugged in and ready to go, and the gear is just on a shelf waiting for me to use it.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    What type of table/desk/structure are you using in your studio?

Any unique uses for off brand or repurpose ideas for the forum?

Synth stands?

Wiring tricks?

DIY?

I modified a standing desk from officedepot, and build speaker stands and top riser and attached it to the desk. and then build and added a slide out desktop under the desk to hold all my hardrive usb hubs wires etc.

• edited December 2020

• @syrupcore said:

@mrufino1 said:
    My almost finished new to me studio desk, an omnirax commander that was given to me by the producer I was assisting. I wish I wasn’t still in my dark basement, although some LED lights are coming today, so hopefully there’s a little more vibe. This pic was last week, so a few things have moved but there setup is essentially the same. I have 2 more panels to put somewhere, but I have to figure out where they will do the most good in this less than ideal space. The funky print on the two hanging panels is because I found 4 4” thick 2’x4’ acoustic panels on Craigslist for $80, so I didn’t care what they look like as long as they work. Someday I’ll remedy that...

Feeling you on the dark basement thing. Plus, my furnace is in the same space and sounds like a Harley every time it cuts on. Our house is old and leaky so it seems to turn on an awful lot!

Haha! My furnace was about 1ft behind me from where I took the picture, right in the middle of the basement. And old leaky house here too (1925).

I just put up 62 ft. of LED strips along the ceiling beams, that gives a little more pleasant vibe, but my whole family is really wanting to convert our unattached garage to my mixing studio. I want that too, but my move to full time audio freelancer plus Covid snatched away so much income that it has to wait. Hopefully this summer it could be achieved.

Oh well, I just have to do my best with what I have right now.

• @Tarekith said:
    A game changer for me was treating my desk more like a workbench, were I only plug in the things I'm using at any one time. All the power supplies and audio/midi/usb cables are already plugged in and ready to go, and the gear is just on a shelf waiting for me to use it.

Exactly! Power and go

• edited December 2020

Dude, have you been on a gear acquisition spree?!! Looks impressively jumbojetty!!! I’m jealous even if it isn’t portable enough for my taste! ;) My rig is shrinking. I even just sold Circuit (i’m a sellout!)
    as it was collecting dust since the arrival of Drambo.

Invested in Pro 11 2020 to give it plenty of CPU/Ram to ride on and finally terminate usb power to peripherals issues.

Would love to hear some late night production from your rig at some point!

• @supadom said:
    Dude, have you been on a gear acquisition spree?!! Looks impressively jumbojetty!!! I’m jealous even if it isn’t portable enough for my taste! ;) My rig is shrinking. I even just sold Circuit (i’m a sellout!)

Invested in Pro 11 2020 to give it plenty of CPU/Ram to ride on and finally terminate usb power to peripherals issues.

Thank you! I love the set ups you have! As well as your music! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• @RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:

Thank you! I love the set ups you have! As well as your music! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Cool setups both of you! Nice use of rack lids @supadom, I’ll have to remember that if building anything mobile.

• @supadom said:

• I think it would be cool to mod a piano cabinet into a studio desk, they’re practically free all over the place anyway. Like this, except volcas & iPads & whatever

• @RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:

Cool Man! I just had a proper look at your rig. A lot of elektron gear in there. What box do you generally find yourself gravitating towards?