Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

help with Boppad setup in iPad

Just got a Boppad for christmas, but facing issues playing it with Drumjam in my ipad. Each hit of the finger is triggering the same note multiple times. No configuration done, just plug and play.

Could someone please point me to any video or documentation on how to set this up with ipad apps? I am unable to figure out using the user manual. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• @bobpadUser said:
    Just got a Boppad for christmas, but facing issues playing it with Drumjam in my ipad. Each hit of the finger is triggering the same note multiple times. No configuration done, just plug and play.

Could someone please point me to any video or documentation on how to set this up with ipad apps? I am unable to figure out using the user manual. Thanks in advance.

You need to use the BopPad web app to configure it. To my knowledge there is not yet an iPad web browser which handles WebMIDI so I had to do it on a laptop. That's where you can configure the pad. It's fairly straightforward once you fire up the web app.

• I opened the editor in my laptop - but not sure what values to be updated. I see presets, keyboard, quadrants and some other configuration. Sorry i struggle with the midi parameters, could you tell me what exactly to update? Thanks for the help.

• I recommend you try the different presets to find the best starting place.

Preset 1 (default) sends everything on one channel and maps radius to mod wheel instead of pressure.

Preset 3 Sticks and Preset 4 Hands send each quadrant on a different channel and map pressure to mod wheel.

After that, I recommend a MIDI monitor and a laptop for editing,

• @bobpadUser said:
    I opened the editor in my laptop - but not sure what values to be updated. I see presets, keyboard, quadrants and some other configuration. Sorry i struggle with the midi parameters, could you tell me what exactly to update? Thanks for the help.

I kept it simple to start/experiment with. I mapped each quadrant to a simple chord - C E G Bb or something to get me going - and mapped the pressure to cc 1 or something SUPER obvious

Once I had a very basic config, I started pairing it up with different synths on the iPad and just used each synthesizer's own MIDI mapping to set what cc 1 affected.

Through this process I was able to get a feel for the BopPad and how to program it, and could come up with more complex/interesting ideas knowing how it all worked.

Sorry for lack of specifics - don't have the pad in front of me. Hope that helps!

• edited December 2020

I found that the preset MIDI note assignment for the 4th quadrant tended to be the most app-specific.

I made presets for DM1, Funkbox, Gladstone (Korg Gadget), and Ruismaker FM.

FractalBits is probably a good app to experiment with because I think all the notes are mapped to something.

BopPad is definitely an instrument where you'll want to read the manual.

• I had issues with mine occasionally triggering notes like a machine gun. Not fun. Try it with different apps and cables before panicking though. I sold mine on because if this, otherwise it is a great piece of kit. I bought mine second hand so it could have been an early crowdfunder version.

• Thanks for all the input guys...i was able to update the "hand preset" and fix the issue of notes getting repeated, but found a new issue as explained below.

I want to play a tabla patch and found that SwarPlug has like 3 octaves worth of samples starting from c1. So I assigned all four quadrants to sequential notes starting from c1. So the quadrants look like this.

Q1 - c1 c#1 d1 d#1 e1 f1
    Q2 - c2 c#2 d2 d#2 e2 f2 and so on.

But MidiSpy monitor shows that whenever any note in a quadrant is played (each quadrant has 6 note slots) all the notes from that quadrant are sent out via midi.

If i play a c1 in the boppad -> c1, c#1, d1, d#1, e1 and f1 are getting played in the tabla as a chord - which is unusable.

I assigned each quadrant to single notes, which fixes this , but then you are limited to only 4 notes / samples being played.

Does anyone know how each notes in a quadrant can be played separately?

• If the CC (Modline) is sent before the note on, you might be able to use the radius to modify the note using a script (StreamByter or Mozaic). A bit tricky though. You'd need to do it for each quadrant, and remember the modified note to change the note off as well. If the CC is after, then too bad. (Maybe you could delay a note until the CC came, but tricky.) You could fairly easily modify the note based on velocity, but that may not be appropriate. I'm a little surprised that there is no mode that can vary notes based on velocity, radius, pressure, etc., since that would be very useful with sampled instruments.

• edited December 2020

All the notes assigned to a quadrant play in unison. (See manual.)

For a pitch range, I suggest sending pitch bend with a radius source.

Discussion here might be relevant:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29598/boppad-streambyter-template-project

I have found the KMI forum and support to be helpful.

• Keith McMillen Instruments has said that the multi-note per quadrant functionality is only available on PC/Mac via an Max4Live (or whatever they're called) plugin for Ableton. I've never gotten it to work properly on the iPad.

• Thanks folks for all the suggestions and info. I will have some time next weekend and will research more on the other strembyter thread. Looks like we need to tweak midi out from boppad before connecting to a synth or drum app.

Has anyone used the Max4live in Ableton with boppad and can you confirm if the 6 notes per quadrant works correctly?

I really see potential for this pad if the multiple notes in each quadrant works - it would be dream come true for me to play ethnic percussion like - djembe, darbouka, tabla etc. The only other thing that can do it as of now is the Jamkat with DITI setup which costs around $1200

• edited December 2020

Drambo is a great companion app to bop pad. I used to assign pitch to velocity filtered with cv quantiser so it would change the notes according to the strength of the strike a la impaktor and use radius for other parameters.

• @supadom said:
    Drambo is a great companion app to bop pad. I used to assign pitch to velocity filtered with cv quantiser so it would change the notes according to the strength of the strike a la impaktor and use radius for other parameters.

<~~ 🤯, Maaan, now I realllly want a bop pad.  (OT: What does CV have to do with anything in Drambo? I don't have the app, but do they use some idea of calling an envelope "Control Voltage" or are you actually getting CV in your ipad from something else?)

• @boberto said:
    <~~ 🤯, Maaan, now I realllly want a bop pad.  (OT: What does CV have to do with anything in Drambo? I don't have the app, but do they use some idea of calling an envelope "Control Voltage" or are you actually getting CV in your ipad from something else?)

Drambo is a kit of modules, including oscillators, envelope generators, and filters, but also multipliers, adders, scalers, and a lot more. The numerical values (variables) passed between modules are referred to as CVs, because they work like CVs in a modular system.

• Which preset is ideal with DrumJam?