Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playing back Apple Music at reduced volume

Hi,

I am considering buying AudioBus (I already have AUM, which I bought trying to achieve a similar purpose and couldn’t find a way...) to solve a particular challenge:

I play guitar through the iPad (using Overloud TH-U specifically) and I have backing tracks I want to play over from Apple Music (streaming). My interface is an IK Multimedia I-Rig HD USB interface with a physical volume control.

The fundamental problem I have is that I can’t control the volume of the Apple Music playback independently of the system volume. With the iRig connected there is no system volume software control at all (since the device has a physical volume wheel). And if I push the volume up on the software amp plugin then I just get clipping. Hence I can’t hear my guitar clearly over the backing track.

I read about an app called Music2Bus but it doesn’t appear to be available anymore (at least not here in the U.K.).

Is there some other way to attenuate the volume coming out of the Music app without turning down the system volume?

(I can do this with the AUM File Player for an MP3 file but not DRM’d Apple Music stuff)

Comments

• Have you checked under Settings > Apple Music > Volume Limit? Or does that kill more than just Apple Music volume?

• That’s an interesting idea. But I can’t find such a setting. Which actually surprises me.

• I think you’ll have to record to a file and playback in AUM or Cubasis or equivalent. AU Tube works great but might not have your backing tracks for streaming. If your interface has another input, you could input from you phone.