Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Harrison Mixbus DAW at an unreal price!

$19 for this gem of a DAW and I believe that entitles you to lifetime $19 major release updates even after the free update grace period runs out (I bought 4 originally and I’m in 6 now — cost me $38 in total).

This is the real s**t for mixing and mastering!

https://harrisonconsoles.lpages.co/mixbus-v6_19-holiday-us_2020-copy/

Comments

• edited December 2020

I’ve always wanted to try this to learn the console style final mix. This might be the opportunity. Here’s a good vid

• @gusgranite said:
    I’ve always wanted to try this to learn the console style final mix. This might be the opportunity. Here’s a good vid

The workflow and console emulation DSP audio quality really is excellent.

• @OscarSouth I've actually got Mixbus 6 on my computer. For this price it's a bit of a bargain. Even if you just run stubs through it for a little vibe. I've got v5 of Mixbus 32c as well and now contemplating their Christmas special on that.
    They've done some good work on Mixbus to make it an interesting place to work in. One of the very cool things about it is that it is a very professional console that runs on all three of the PC platforms....Mac, Windows and Linux. You can get a great mix without necessarily needing any other plugins. The larger the monitor you have the better your experience with it - there is a lot going on in there in the mix window. The tape saturation on the sub mixes are great, the built in compression, leveller, limiter work a treat. You have gain trim controls on each channel so you can gain stage each track easily. The mix meters for K14 and phase are handy too. If you have two monitors it would work even better because you can put the mix window in one and the edit window in the other. I might go and have a look at that vid and see what I have missed.

• Just watched the vid....pretty much everything he mentioned has always been there. But, one thing he missed was that with this release they added PDC (plug in delay compensation) to tracks that you add as aux send busses. It used to be that you only had this with tracks and the mixbus channels, but now this also is for bus sends (so when you add an FX channel). This might be the biggest add they put in this edition. It's actually quite decent, for the price it is a bit of a bargain. But, only if you are likely to use a computer for your mixing tasks. I still think that it's main place is for final mix down so it depends on if you have the desire to export what you're working on to another place to finish it. It's pretty easy to demo to check out if it's something you want to use or are going to use.

• Some of the plugins are £1 too, this is a bargain, thanks.

• @arktek said:
    Just watched the vid....pretty much everything he mentioned has always been there. But, one thing he missed was that with this release they added PDC (plug in delay compensation) to tracks that you add as aux send busses. It used to be that you only had this with tracks and the mixbus channels, but now this also is for bus sends (so when you add an FX channel). This might be the biggest add they put in this edition. It's actually quite decent, for the price it is a bit of a bargain. But, only if you are likely to use a computer for your mixing tasks. I still think that it's main place is for final mix down so it depends on if you have the desire to export what you're working on to another place to finish it. It's pretty easy to demo to check out if it's something you want to use or are going to use.

This is how I use it -- I multitrack in AUM then import those tracks into Mixbus. The mixing workflow is roughly replicatable in Auria Pro which is a nice on-the-go sub for it, but for pure quality and a beautiful workflow, I've yet to use anything that even comes close to what Mixbus makes me feel.

• I hate it when people post sales of Desktop applications... because I usually buy them.
    But for $22, I got a nicely designed DAW with a lot of FX and 3 more for $1 each. And all my OS X AU's are there too. It uses a lot of code from the Open Source Ardour project and even has a feature to sync for aligning music to a Video using X Jadeo which is included in the
    application download.

The Console mixing interface just feels right.

I was able to produce an finished mix of an audio file I generated on my iPad in about
    30 minutes on my maiden voyage. It sounds great.

This is an excellent app for mixing. Thx @OscarSouth, for making me open my wallet.

• It has a great workflow and I do enjoy the "Harrison sound" so I recommend it especially for people used to or at least looking for a more console-oriented workflow with modern software convenience/touches. Also, I'd recommend 32C if anybody is willing to spend some more and that too is on sale, apparently https://harrisonconsolesstore.onfastspring.com/32cv6-79

• is this a US only sale? it seems to be full price in France.

• @purpan2 said:
    is this a US only sale? it seems to be full price in France.

I see it at 19€ ; so this must me a sale price too 🤔

• Seems to be a Marmite one this - either folks love it or loath it!

• @McD said:
    I hate it when people post sales of Desktop applications... because I usually buy them.
    But for $22, I got a nicely designed DAW with a lot of FX and 3 more for $1 each. And all my OS X AU's are there too. It uses a lot of code from the Open Source Ardour project and even has a feature to sync for aligning music to a Video using X Jadeo which is included in the
    application download.

The Console mixing interface just feels right.

I was able to produce an finished mix of an audio file I generated on my iPad in about
    30 minutes on my maiden voyage. It sounds great.

This is an excellent app for mixing. Thx @OscarSouth, for making me open my wallet.

A great tip I picked up off the Harrison message board is to use Ardour to track your project at low latency and then switch to Mixbus to mix it. Ardour has a very similar/identical timeline and lower overhead since the Harrison DSP is not running. Mixbus can open Ardour project files with no issue so it's a smooth transition when you're ready to start mixing.

• @ajmiller said:
    Seems to be a Marmite one this - either folks love it or loath it!

Never run into anyone who disliked it personally (usually seems to be either loves or doesn't know about it -- not including vloggers whose opinions are usually based on a 30 minute impression). I can imagine someone who wants advanced warping features and a nicely wrapped comping workflow could miss those though (comping is actually nice in Mixbus but takes a little figuring out as it's not exactly wrapped up with a bow and labelled).

Personally I love it -- but I'm a bit of a ruthless overseer that doesn't tolerate out of time takes on my tracks .. so warping not necessary :D

• @Gratouilli said:

@purpan2 said:
    is this a US only sale? it seems to be full price in France.

I see it at 19€ ; so this must me a sale price too 🤔

Thanks. I might try it.

• @McD said:

Now I'm craving FX plug-ins to match the dozens of options I have on IOS. Go figure.

Can I IDAM a path to and from my iPad and use my FX apps as outboard gear? I'll bet I can.
    But I'd appreciate any clues or advice.

• edited December 2020

@McD said:

@McD said:

Now I'm craving FX plug-ins to match the dozens of options I have on IOS. Go figure.

Can I IDAM a path to and from my iPad and use my FX apps as outboard gear? I'll bet I can.
    But I'd appreciate any clues or advice.

You defo can -- last time I tried the latency compensation for routing to external software modules via my iCA 4+ was iffy for me though, but that was version 4 and improved latency compensation seems to be a major upgrade in version 6.

• For $29 CAD, I bit at this carrot.

• Ouch... the price of the Harrison plug-ins brings me back to a fundamental reality of desktop
    software.

But the $19 "Mixbus 6" has an embedded EQ, Compressor/Limiter and Tape Saturation and I already have a decent Reverb so I think I'm good to go. The $1 Verb, EQ and Multi-band Compressor really set you up to mix successfully. Adding De-Esser's and other tools would come with the challenges of mixing vocals and other tasks I'm not likely to face anytime soon.

Mac OS X does serve up a small selection of AU plug-ins too and they are really good too.
    Who knew.

But now I'll be more likely to slowly add 3d party plug-ins.

What I'm getting with just the $22 investment and the apple plug-ins is empowering.
    It runs on Windows and Linux too using the same license key... you can run it on all
    your computers. I hope I get access to future updates at this crazy discount price.

• @McD said:
    Ouch... the price of the Harrison plug-ins brings me back to a fundamental reality of desktop
    software.

But the $19 "Mixbus 6" has an embedded EQ, Compressor/Limiter and Tape Saturation and I already have a decent Reverb so I think I'm good to go. The $1 Verb, EQ and Multi-band Compressor really set you up to mix successfully. Adding De-Esser's and other tools would come with the challenges of mixing vocals and other tasks I'm not likely to face anytime soon.

Mac OS X does serve up a small selection of AU plug-ins too and they are really good too.
    Who knew.

But now I'll be more likely to slowly add 3d party plug-ins.

What I'm getting with just the $22 investment and the apple plug-ins is empowering.
    It runs on Windows and Linux too using the same license key... you can run it on all
    your computers. I hope I get access to future updates at this crazy discount price.

@McD There are some really good free VSTs if you do not want to spend.

https://www.musicianonamission.com/free-plugins/
    https://splice.com/blog/best-free-effects-plugins/
    https://www.producersphere.com/best-free-eq-vst-plugins/

• I absolutely loved 32c but it crashed constantly for me on Mac, and had all sorts of weird issues with uad plugins. I have had mixbus since version 2 and really love the console workflow but those issues really drove me away from it. Too bad because it sound great. And the character plugins and Tom gate are very innovative.

I’m mixing mostly in studio one at the moment and sometimes in logic using softube console 1 for a similar workflow to mixbus, plus external summing now, which I am loving.

• That was fun... now I have a better arsenal of toys to mess about with.
    Thanks.

• edited December 2020

@McD all of the Harrison made plugins will run in MixBus without any need to purchase if you can live without the GUI (eg all the AVA plugins). You get the GUI for a short time when you first open them, but you can access all the parameters through the generic display of the controls. If they're not already installed you just download the demo version.
    IDAM only runs audio one way. So, audio from iPad to Mac. Not from Mac to iPad. MIDI runs both ways.

Oh, yes you do get updates if they are for the same version (ie currently version 6). If they update to a different version then you have to repurchase, but they usually give current owners a very healthy discount that's not dissimilar to what you purchased it for this time.

• This is a fantastic DAW, especially for mixing & Mastering multi-Stems That people send me.. Has a great sound once you get your head around how it’s works.. It’s a very under rated piece of software.. Nearest I can get to an SSL.. Or Mackie.. Plus v6 I can use all my Waves Vst3... if needed?.. But TBH, it doesn’t need VST plugins.. It good enough on its own.. At $19, it’s a no brainer..

• I’m not naive enough to go by vloggers 30 minute impressions but it does seem to divide opinion, let’s say! I’ve been looking at it for a while since going over to desktop and your post pushed me to buy it. I’m now working through learning it and, if anyone is interested, there’s an excellent tutorial on Groove3 I’m following.
    All the best

@OscarSouth said:

@ajmiller said:
    Seems to be a Marmite one this - either folks love it or loath it!

Never run into anyone who disliked it personally (usually seems to be either loves or doesn't know about it -- not including vloggers whose opinions are usually based on a 30 minute impression). I can imagine someone who wants advanced warping features and a nicely wrapped comping workflow could miss those though (comping is actually nice in Mixbus but takes a little figuring out as it's not exactly wrapped up with a bow and labelled).

Personally I love it -- but I'm a bit of a ruthless overseer that doesn't tolerate out of time takes on my tracks .. so warping not necessary :D

• @arktek said:
    @McD all of the Harrison made plugins will run in MixBus without any need to purchase if you can live without the GUI (eg all the AVA plugins). You get the GUI for a short time when you first open them, but you can access all the parameters through the generic display of the controls. If they're not already installed you just download the demo version.

Thanks... Small penalty to see if you use a plugin a lot. Nice approach.
    I think I'm going to write something in Staffpad and exports the instruments as stems
    (or maybe do this with a Cubasis MIDI session using my AUv3 instruments) and
    master in Mixbus6.

I think this will increase the pressure to get one of the new Mac's with the new chips
    that increase the potential to merge Desktop and IOS "assets".

• Bought it. Looks great.

• Thank you @OscarSouth for posting this. I'm a Logic guy but have never been 100% satisfied with the final mix stage. I demo'd Mixbus against Logic running the same stems and giving both similar mastering treatment and though subtle there is something about Mixbus that my ears prefer.

It's priced like a plugin and I think of it as such despite being a full blown DAW. In any case great tip and happy holidays to all.

• I'm glad that people are having a good experience with this! I personally love this DAW. Another really cool workflow possibility if you're using an interface with enough I/O (I'm using an iConnectAudio 4+ so up to 16 digital input/output ports, which is crazy!) then you can route your audio into Mixbus tracks and through the DSP/mix engine as a post-processing stage for the live sound.

• This hardware controller is also worth checking out if you wanted to drop a bit (a lot!) more cash:
    http://rucoproaudio.com/

The guy who makes them is a good friend of mine and makes awesome hardware (as well as being a great producer).

• Am I the only one to find the interface lag painful? Top spec 2020 16” MacBook Pro, and I’m unable to adjust any of the knobs without at least a .25 second delay. Am I just spoiled by NS2 and this is what a DAW on desktop is like these days? I can’t imagine using this creatively.