Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.2, new Waves IAPs and Xmas Sale available

Comments

• edited December 2020

@LFS I need to do a 'sanity check' but I think I've bumped into a bug when doing a mix down...

I have 5 tracks and I want to have each track as a separate audio so...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8gqsr5j7vio1kd/BugCheck.cbp?dl=0
    (That's just a quick example session)

I go to Mix down > Create Mixdown.
    I activate 'Mixdown Between Locators'.
    I deactivate 'Include Effect Tail'.
    I activate 'Create separate files for tracks'

The problem is that the Micrologue with arp from the first track is present on most of the other tracks as well?!?
    Here are the 5 exported tracks from the session...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jwvoskkzud3b48/5Tracks.zip?dl=0

If I freeze the tracks manually one by one it works as expected so...
    ...something is fishy with the export function that's for sure!

If 'Include Effect Tail' is enabled it works as expected but if it's disabled it somehow doesn't work?!.

I'm on an iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.3, Device Latency is at 5.8ms and the prevent crackling latency is 23.2ms.

Cheers!
    /Samuel

• @Sandstorm said:
    @LFS

I have just updated to 3.2 and opened an old project that I had real DSP issues with.

There were only 8 tracks with maybe 1 or 2 AU effects on each track. The problem seemed to be with Mood units really pushing the DSP meter all over the place and the sound was cutting out, distorted etc. Once turned off everything seemed to settle down. I also had Ravenscroft 275 piano on one of the tracks and had to freeze it due to DSP issues but once frozen it went back to normal.

I have now opened the project after the update and the DSP issues are still there.

I opened a new project and added one midi track with AUV3 Zeeon. I also added the new H Delay as an insert effect. Again DSP is all over the place and the Delay sounded really distorted even without playing a note. I deleted this project and opened a new project using one midi track and I used the internal Analogue strings patch again adding the H Delay. Everything worked fine so I kept adding more effects.
    The next insert effect I added was the Wave Stereo width plugin and then I added Magic Death Eye Stereo compressor which I believe is heavy on CPU and everything works ok.

So The AUV3 synths I am using seem to be causing the issues?

Am I missing a CPU/DSP setting that will stop these issues?

I have a 2nd Gen Ipad Pro running IOS 13.5.1

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Sandstorm,

First of all, as mentioned in our version history we strongly recommend updating to iPad OS 14.3, which introduces AU related fixes and other improvements.

Alongside, when using CPU demanding AU plug-ins, please make sure to increase the device latency in the audio setup to compensate. Lastly, please make sure to set the audio engine latency to twice the amount of the device latency.

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Lars

• @Janosax said:
    @LFS I have no audio engine latency setting on CB 3.2 on my iPhone 7 Plus iOS 13.7. Is it only for iPadOS or iOS/iPadOS 14?

Hi @Janosax,

The audio engine latency setting only appears on devices with more than two high-performance CPU cores.
    The iPhone 7 Plus has two energy efficient and two high performance cores, which does not meet this requirement.

Alongside, please consider updating to the latest available iOS 14.3 update, which introduces AU related fixes and further improvements.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@Rodolfo said:

@Rodolfo said:
    If I buy the Waves Tune in Cubasis 2, will I be able to transfer it to Cubasis 3? And viceversa?
    I would like to have it in both versions, so just trying to find out if there’s a way to purchase it only once.

@LFS sorry to disturb you with this again, just trying to know if I buy the Waves Tune plugin in Cubasis 2 it will be possible to transfer it to Cubasis 3. Thank you!

Hi @Rodolfo,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Cubasis 2 in-app purchases can be freely transferred to Cubasis 3.
    It is not possible to transfer Cubasis 3 in-app purchases to Cubasis 2.

These are the steps:

• Make sure Cubasis 2.8.4 is installed on your iPad
    • Launch Cubasis 3 and open the in-app shop
    • Follow the instructions shown in the IAP Transfer pop-up

Important:
    In some cases, it is required to open the in-app shop in Cubasis 2, once the app has launched itself (being triggered from the “Transfer” popup button).

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Lars

Thank you very much Lars. I purchased Waves Tune in C2 and successfully managed to transfer it with all the other IAPs from C2 to C3. Now I have all available IAPs on both versions.

• @Samu said:
    @LFS I need to do a 'sanity check' but I think I've bumped into a bug when doing a mix down...

I have 5 tracks and I want to have each track as a separate audio so...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8gqsr5j7vio1kd/BugCheck.cbp?dl=0
    (That's just a quick example session)

I go to Mix down > Create Mixdown.
    I activate 'Mixdown Between Locators'.
    I deactivate 'Include Effect Tail'.
    I activate 'Create separate files for tracks'

The problem is that the Micrologue with arp from the first track is present on most of the other tracks as well?!?
    Here are the 5 exported tracks from the session...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jwvoskkzud3b48/5Tracks.zip?dl=0

If I freeze the tracks manually one by one it works as expected so...
    ...something is fishy with the export function that's for sure!

If 'Include Effect Tail' is enabled it works as expected but if it's disabled it somehow doesn't work?!.

I'm on an iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.3, Device Latency is at 5.8ms and the prevent crackling latency is 23.2ms.

Cheers!
    /Samuel

Thanks @Samu,

The issue has been added to our bugbase.

Best,
    Lars

• @ehehehe said:
    Some weird stuff happening at seemingly random, investigating. Samplr wont record live audio, the recorder timeline symbol just keeps spinning.. Animoog works fine using the same track routing (no midi) option.

Hi @ehehehe,

The issue might be related to Samplr, would suggest to inform them about it.
    We're at hand if required.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS
    Is it possible to transfer Cubase 2 IAP from my old iPad to Cubase 3 on my iPhone? My iPad is too old to run Cubase 3.

I promise I will stop asking once I get a response.

• @LFS said:

Thanks @Samu,

The issue has been added to our bugbase.

Best,
    Lars

Thanks! I suspect it has something to do with the long note on track one that keeps the arp going...
    ...If I shorten the note a bit the 'tail' of track 1 plays out on track 2...

Still each track should be 'isolated' so nothing from the other tracks 'bleeds thru'.

It almost feels that Cubasis is a bit to eager to start rendering the next track so it 'forgets' to complete the previous one first :)

Other than that I've had ZERO crashes with the app and apart from the semi-random crackles when tweaking the Micrologue performance is quite good on an oldish device!

Cheers & Happy Holidays!

• @ChrisG said:
    The multicore rendering is spotty at best on iPad Pro 10.5”. Not sure why, I’ve tried various settings. Some people on FB are reporting the same thing on the 10.5” Pro (need to turn it off to get rid of crackles). It works great on my iPhone 11 but the iPad is obviously the primary platform. I think the 10.5” Pro have 6 cores, where 3 of those are high performance cores and the remaining 3 cores are low power cores.

Can you look into it please, @LFS .👍

Hi @ChrisG,

Please note that we've released a dedicated article about the topic, which you can find right here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42746/cubasis-3-2-multicore-rendering-latency-settings/p1?new=1

Best,
    Lars

• Hi all,

Due to having received several questions regarding the performance optimizations, our engineering compiled a dedicated article which you can find right here:

Cubasis 3.2 - Multicore-rendering & Latency Settings

Best,
    Lars

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @LFS Sorry, here's another one...

After doing an Mixdown using 'Create separate files for tracks' the Loop Icon gets 'stuck' so I can no longer Toggle Loop On/Off without re-launching Cubasis. (Loop remains 'off' even though the Loop Icon is lit).

It only gets stuck when using the option 'Create separate files for tracks'.
    Just enable the Loop before doing the mix down using 'Create separate files for tracks' export and it will get 'stuck'.

If Loop is not enabled before doing the multi-track Mixdown it doesn't get stuck...
    (I suspect the export/render function uses the locator and loop function but forgets to update the UI or something like that).

Cheers!

• Does anyone know if Cubasis 'clears' the AudioBuffers and Initializes the audio-engine before doing a freeze/export/mixdown?
    I suspect it doesn't since there is sometimes 'leakage' in the beginning of an export where there should be absolute silence.

With the leakage I mean low level delay feedbacks, reverb-tails etc.
    For 'clean' export all the buffers should really be zeroed.

Oh well, I'll just try to focus on other things for now and slap the bug-hunter to sleep for a while ;)

• After updating to 3.2 lots of crackles with a project consisting of a single AU instrument on both my 10.5 and 12.9 iPad Pro 2nd Gen. DSP meter swings wildly and goes to 100%. As has been suggested, to solve this disable multi-core rendering by turning off Audio Engine Latency.

• @LFS said:

@ChrisG said:
    The multicore rendering is spotty at best on iPad Pro 10.5”. Not sure why, I’ve tried various settings. Some people on FB are reporting the same thing on the 10.5” Pro (need to turn it off to get rid of crackles). It works great on my iPhone 11 but the iPad is obviously the primary platform. I think the 10.5” Pro have 6 cores, where 3 of those are high performance cores and the remaining 3 cores are low power cores.

Can you look into it please, @LFS .👍

Hi @ChrisG,

Please note that we've released a dedicated article about the topic, which you can find right here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42746/cubasis-3-2-multicore-rendering-latency-settings/p1?new=1

Best,
    Lars

So here’s what I’ve found. When playing back a song/project, having the audio engine latency enabled (multicore enabled) at twice the device latency, like suggested, helps a lot. When you press stop, I assume it’s not using multicore anymore as the DSP is all over the place. So when playing any of Cubasis internal instruments, using the on-screen keyboard, things will crackle. The only way to get rid of the crackles is to disable the engine latency. This means that you have to keep enabling and disabling the engine latency; off for playing any instruments, on when playing back the track.

• IMO the engine latency is really useful, but save it for the mix stage of your project. Disable it when you're composing/performing/recording (in fact it's best to keep the latency as low as possible at this stage), but when you're done and it's time to mix then increase the hardware latency and the audio engine latency to the maximum value and you can add a lot more plugins without needing to freeze tracks.

This is the exact same workflow I use in Auria, at mix stage I increase the project latency to 4096 so that I can add plugins without needing to freeze.

• @richardyot said:
    IMO the engine latency is really useful, but save it for the mix stage of your project. Disable it when you're composing/performing/recording (in fact it's best to keep the latency as low as possible at this stage), but when you're done and it's time to mix then increase the hardware latency and the audio engine latency to the maximum value and you can add a lot more plugins without needing to freeze tracks.

This is the exact same workflow I use in Auria, at mix stage I increase the project latency to 4096 so that I can add plugins without needing to freeze.

Thanks for sharing the tipp, @richardyot

Stay well,
    Lars

• @ehehehe said:

@LFS said:

@ehehehe said:
    Some weird stuff happening at seemingly random, investigating. Samplr wont record live audio, the recorder timeline symbol just keeps spinning.. Animoog works fine using the same track routing (no midi) option.

Hi @ehehehe,

The issue might be related to Samplr, would suggest to inform them about it.
    We're at hand if required.

Best,
    Lars

That’s what I thought, done. Anyone else with Samplr problems?

Hi @ehehehe,

Please keep us updated about their response.

Thanks
    & stay safe,
    Lars

• I do find that mixdowns are more successful when loop is not enabled, and when using Auv3s.
    I have Cubasis 2 currently.
    Toying with Cubasis 3 before 11 January....
    But I need first to change country App Store as moved recently.
    Merry Christmas all.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I reluctantly bought CB3 in the recent sale and now regret it. It’s just a cracklefest for me on a 10.5 IPad Pro no matter what I try. It’s unusable.

I don’t know if 3.2 made it worse but I think so.

• @qryss said:
    I reluctantly bought CB3 in the recent sale and now regret it. It’s just a cracklefest for me on a 10.5 IPad Pro no matter what I try. It’s unusable.

@PaulO said:
    After updating to 3.2 lots of crackles with a project consisting of a single AU instrument on both my 10.5 and 12.9 iPad Pro 2nd Gen. DSP meter swings wildly and goes to 100%. As has been suggested, to solve this disable multi-core rendering by turning off Audio Engine Latency.

Does this help?

• @musikeer said:

@qryss said:
    I reluctantly bought CB3 in the recent sale and now regret it. It’s just a cracklefest for me on a 10.5 IPad Pro no matter what I try. It’s unusable.

@PaulO said:
    After updating to 3.2 lots of crackles with a project consisting of a single AU instrument on both my 10.5 and 12.9 iPad Pro 2nd Gen. DSP meter swings wildly and goes to 100%. As has been suggested, to solve this disable multi-core rendering by turning off Audio Engine Latency.

Does this help?

Yah it seems like this should be off by default with the 10.5 Pro.

• No, it doesn’t but thanks. I have already tried that. :frowning:

I’ve got a very simple project with just DrumComputer, Continua and Bass808 - no effects at all yet. It’s completely unworkable in CB3 but in Drambo or Auria it’s flawless - and I’ve added effects including two instances of MixBus. Haven’t tried NS2 but I’m pretty confident that will be fine too = it’s so well optimised.

Happy to hear if I’m doing something wrong...

• @Iskander said:

@Iskander said:
    I‘ve bought Waves tune real-time inside CB3.
    In CB2 it doesn‘t show ‚bought‘ and I have to buy again? Restoring purchases does not work.

By the way, many thanks for the brilliant update.

Every time I start CB3, I have to restore my purchase of Waves tune real-time. That‘s annoying.

Hi all,

If you encounter the same issue:
    Please make sure iCloud is enabled on your iOS device which should quickly resolve the problem.

Best,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2020

@qryss said:
    No, it doesn’t but thanks. I have already tried that. :frowning:

I’ve got a very simple project with just DrumComputer, Continua and Bass808 - no effects at all yet. It’s completely unworkable in CB3 but in Drambo or Auria it’s flawless - and I’ve added effects including two instances of MixBus. Haven’t tried NS2 but I’m pretty confident that will be fine too = it’s so well optimised.

Happy to hear if I’m doing something wrong...

Hi @qryss,

Sorry to read you have issues!

Did you check our dedicated [Multicore-Rendering & Latency Settings]
    (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42746/cubasis-3-2-multicore-rendering-latency-settings") article, and is it of help for you?

Best,
    Lars

• Hello @LFS
    I have just opened Cubasis 3 after it’s newest update on the latest version of iOS, after not using it in a while. I use a iPhone 6s Plus.

All my projects with audio units told me that the audio units where not on my phone.
    The apps do appear under in-apps, but the audio unit lists in blank.
    I opened the standalone version of the apps to see if that would make them appear in the list, but they still don’t.
    I deleted the app and reinstalled, but to no avail.

I tried to look on your website, this site and googled, but cannot find any help to my problem.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Have you tried restarting the iPhone? What iOS are you running?

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2020

@allegedly_audible said:
    Hello @LFS
    I have just opened Cubasis 3 after it’s newest update on the latest version of iOS, after not using it in a while. I use a iPhone 6s Plus.

All my projects with audio units told me that the audio units where not on my phone.
    I opened the standalone version of the apps to see if that would make them appear in the list, but they still don’t.

I tried to look on your website, this site and googled, but cannot find any help to my problem.
    Thank you.

Hi @allegedly_audible,

Did you load the AU plug-ins as shown at around 12:44 and 17:14 here:

If the problem persists, does it help to restart the device, or manually launch the AU stand alone apps first?

Does the AUs appear/load when creating new projects?

What iOS version did you use?

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @allegedly_audible said:
    Hello @LFS

Thank you.

That’s a known issue in IOS 14.x (all revisions) and it has nothing to do with Cubasis, AUM, or any other host. The only workaround so far is to restart the device.