Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.2, new Waves IAPs and Xmas Sale available

Comments

• @LFS said:
    Hi all,

We've often recieved the request for an additional online and PDF version of the Cubasis 3 help.
    Please find both right here: https://steinberg.help/apps-manuals/cubasis/cubasis-3/

Best,
    Lars

That's great!

• @LFS said:

@Iskander said:
    I‘ve found a huge bug. Where are my audiofiles (imported a few weeks ago) in this project?

Hi @Iskander,

Please let me have a detailed bug report, to allow us reproducing the problem.
    Did the project crash when loading? Are you able to locate the audio files in the trash folder?

Thanks
    Lars

This happened to me too on two different projects. The waveforms are there when project is opened, but disappears randomly after some time.

No app crash and everything seem to still work fine, the disappeared files even playback as they should.

Closing the project and reopen brought back the waveforms.

I believe this is a graphical problem only?

• great video from Dom, thx Lars

• Brilliant update. Great to have this on the phone. Cheers @LFS and happy Christmas to you and the team.

• @cabo said:
    great video from Dom, thx Lars

Glad to read you like this one!
    Thanks @cabo

• Great, great job! Just downloaded it. My very quick initial testing shows huge improvement on performance. On iPad Pro 11" 2020, Cubasis 3.2 seems to be comfortably handling about 40 tracks each with Fab Filter eq and compressor working and a reverb send (pro-R). I just made an audio loop, processed it with these plugins and duplicated it until I started to get crackles. I did the same with the internal piano sampler, the results were about the same. This is about 4x I could do before last week.
    This is of course a very quick test to see how much I could push it so please don't take my word on it. I just wanted to share my excitement.

• @sabisaltiel said:
    Great, great job! Just downloaded it. My very quick initial testing shows huge improvement on performance. On iPad Pro 11" 2020, Cubasis 3.2 seems to be comfortably handling about 40 tracks each with Fab Filter eq and compressor working and a reverb send (pro-R). I just made an audio loop, processed it with these plugins and duplicated it until I started to get crackles. I did the same with the internal piano sampler, the results were about the same. This is about 4x I could do before last week.
    This is of course a very quick test to see how much I could push it so please don't take my word on it. I just wanted to share my excitement.

We're glad to read that Cubasis 3.2 seems to perform great for you, @sabisaltiel!
    Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Best,
    Lars

• Doesn’t seem to be on the UK AppStore yet...

• @Vorgon said:
    Doesn’t seem to be on the UK AppStore yet...

Released the updates 7 am this morning our time in Germany through App Store Connect.
    Hopefully they arrive soon at your end...

Best,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2020

Hi all,

The Cubasis website has now been updated too, if you want to take a look at the new features once more...

What's New in Cubasis 3.2

• edited December 2020

@LFS

I have just updated to 3.2 and opened an old project that I had real DSP issues with.

There were only 8 tracks with maybe 1 or 2 AU effects on each track. The problem seemed to be with Mood units really pushing the DSP meter all over the place and the sound was cutting out, distorted etc. Once turned off everything seemed to settle down. I also had Ravenscroft 275 piano on one of the tracks and had to freeze it due to DSP issues but once frozen it went back to normal.

I have now opened the project after the update and the DSP issues are still there.

I opened a new project and added one midi track with AUV3 Zeeon. I also added the new H Delay as an insert effect. Again DSP is all over the place and the Delay sounded really distorted even without playing a note. I deleted this project and opened a new project using one midi track and I used the internal Analogue strings patch again adding the H Delay. Everything worked fine so I kept adding more effects.
    The next insert effect I added was the Wave Stereo width plugin and then I added Magic Death Eye Stereo compressor which I believe is heavy on CPU and everything works ok.

So The AUV3 synths I am using seem to be causing the issues?

Am I missing a CPU/DSP setting that will stop these issues?

I have a 2nd Gen Ipad Pro running IOS 13.5.1

Thanks in advance.

• @sabisaltiel said:
    Great, great job! Just downloaded it. My very quick initial testing shows huge improvement on performance. On iPad Pro 11" 2020, Cubasis 3.2 seems to be comfortably handling about 40 tracks each with Fab Filter eq and compressor working and a reverb send (pro-R). I just made an audio loop, processed it with these plugins and duplicated it until I started to get crackles. I did the same with the internal piano sampler, the results were about the same. This is about 4x I could do before last week.

great news ! could you elaborate on your set up ? 44.1 ? 48 ? 16 or 24 b ? ...

• @Iskander said:
    I‘ve bought Waves tune real-time inside CB3.
    In CB2 it doesn‘t show ‚bought‘ and I have to buy again? Restoring purchases does not work.

By the way, many thanks for the brilliant update.

Every time I start CB3, I have to restore my purchase of Waves tune real-time. That‘s annoying.

• @LFS said:

@Iskander said:
    I‘ve found a huge bug. Where are my audiofiles (imported a few weeks ago) in this project?

Hi @Iskander,

Please let me have a detailed bug report, to allow us reproducing the problem.
    Did the project crash when loading? Are you able to locate the audio files in the trash folder?

Thanks
    Lars

Sorry Lars, trash folder is empty. The project didn‘t crash. The waves are empty. I did a complete restart of my iPad. The problem remains

• Greeted with enormous satisfaction Cubasis 3.2 .... same sentiment found since Cubase 2.1 for Atari 1040 ste.

Many nights without being able to sleep await me again :)

Seeing that they spend their time improving Cubasis ... I get security ... even knowing that there may be sections to improve ... for that work ... they got my 5 stars.

Greetings to the entire Steinberg family? ... the same feeling for all the colleagues of the Forum in Audiobus:-),

José

• Between 32-bit support and AU efficiency updates, I may very well be able to fully mix a song in CB3 now.

• 32bit mixdowns is definitely a much needed improvement so probably should be mentioned higher on the ‘new’ list than any delay plug in iap thingy..
    waiting for the dust to settle and more ‘no bug’ reports before updating though..

• No improvement with Punch in to make it work like a normal DAW?

• @Iskander said:

@Iskander said:
    In CB2 it doesn‘t show ‚bought‘ and I have to buy again? Restoring purchases does not work.

Every time I start CB3, I have to restore my purchase of Waves tune real-time. That‘s annoying.

Hi @Iskander,

I'd suggest to try the following:

(1) Load an empty project
    (2) Close all running apps including Cubasis
    (2) Full shut down the iPad

Are the problems reproducible, once the iPad has been restarted?

Best,
    Lars

• @ehehehe said:
    It runs great, no more crackling with even lower latency! Only remaining bug I can spot so far is that sample sorting still isn’t properly chronological. Just a minor niggle, looking forward to trying it with a keyboard.

@richardyot said:
    The larger buffer sizes are a very welcome addition. With the new improved efficiency this allows for far more plugins in a mix without DSP spikes.

Hi @ehehehe, Hi @richardyot,

Thanks for your feedback.
    Glad to hear the performance improvements work out for you.

Best,
    Lars

• I have been finding that my DSP is peaking when I reopen a project with one AUv3 instrument in it. So, I guess it's time to think about upgrading. Weird though, because I can run 30 odd tracks in Auria Pro without this kind of issue. The first project was one that just had Volt installed in the 1st channel and that was the only thing installed. DSP was peaking at 80 - 90 %. I cleared the project and was able to load a number of tracks that included Drum Computer, Synth One and Ripplemaker with the H delay loaded and it's sitting around 80-90% after being reloaded. I had another project with just Model 15 on it and the H-Delay. When I was recording the track it was sitting around 50% DSP, when I reopened the track it was sitting at 90%DSP. The buffer settings were at 5.7ms. So, Yes kind of small buffer, but in reality I'm not seeing much of an improvement.
    Just letting you all know. but, I love the H-delay. Feels like I'm not part of this club.

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2020

@skander said

@skander said

Hi @Iskander,

We are unable to reproduce both issues.
    If possible, please let us have a detailed report (see our form below), how to reproduce the missing audio files issue.

Thanks,
    Lars

Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
      (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
      (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
      (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
      (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
      (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

• @Iskander said:

@dpeace said:

I can confirm that buying the IAP in CB2 can be transferred across to CB3 using the in-app purchase transfer (and then appears without additional fiddling in the iPhone version).

I‘ve bought the IAP in CB3. Restoring in CB2 is not possible.

Understood. However, there never was a mechanism for transferring purchases from CB3 to CB2, which is why I bought in CB2.

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2020

@Sandstorm said:
    Hi@LFS

I have just updated to 3.2 and opened an old project that I had real DSP issues with.

There were only 8 tracks with maybe 1 or 2 AU effects on each track. The problem seemed to be with Mood units really pushing the DSP meter all over the place and the sound was cutting out, distorted etc. Once turned off everything seemed to settle down. I also had Ravenscroft 275 piano on one of the tracks and had to freeze it due to DSP issues but once frozen it went back to normal.

I have now opened the project after the update and the DSP issues are still there.

I opened a new project and added one midi track with AUV3 Zeeon. I also added the new H Delay as an insert effect. Again DSP is all over the place and the Delay sounded really distorted even without playing a note. I deleted this project and opened a new project using one midi track and I used the internal Analogue strings patch again adding the H Delay. Everything worked fine so I kept adding more effects.
    The next insert effect I added was the Wave Stereo width plugin and then I added Magic Death Eye Stereo compressor which I believe is heavy on CPU and everything works ok.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Sandstorm,

Here is a suggestion from our lead engineer (worth a try for everyone still having performance issues):
    Please give it a try to set Device Latency to 10 ms and choose the doubled value for Audio Engine Latency.
    If this does not help, it is worth trying to set Audio Engine Latency to Off.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@Iskander said:

@Iskander said:

Hi @Iskander,

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars, I did the recommended steps. The problem remains.
    After restart of CB3 (or my iPad) I always have to restore the purchase of Waves tune real-time.

• @LFS said:

@Sandstorm said:
    Hi@LFS

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Sandstorm,

Here is a suggestion from our lead engineer:
    Please give it a try to set Device Latency to 10 ms and choose the doubled value for Audio Engine Latency.
    If this does not help, it is worth trying to set Audio Engine Latency to Off.

Best,
    Lars

Will try this and get back to you. Thanks for the swift reply.

• LFSLFS
    edited December 2020

@Iskander said:

@LFS said:

@Iskander said:

@Iskander said:

Hi @Iskander,

Best,
    Lars

After restart of CB3 (or my iPad) I always have to restore the purchase of Waves tune real-time.

Hi @Iskander,

What iPad model/iPadOS?

Best,
    Lars

• @mlau said:

@sabisaltiel said:

great news ! could you elaborate on your set up ? 44.1 ? 48 ? 16 or 24 b ? ...

Honestly I don't remember the settings on the previous test I did. Right now I am running 80 audio tracks with ProC2 and FabFilter Pro Q3 (48kHz, 10.7ms device latency, 42.7ms engine latency, no interface connected) dsp is hovering around at 40-43%. This is of course a very non methodical way of doing this. I just have a feeling that this thing can handle a lot.

• @LFS said:

@Iskander said:

@LFS said:

@Iskander said:

@Iskander said:

Hi @Iskander,

Best,
    Lars

Hi @Iskander,

What iPad model/iPadOS?

Best,
    Lars

iPad Pro 10.5“ / iOS 14.3

• @Iskander said:

@LFS said:

@Iskander said:

@LFS said:

@Iskander said:

@Iskander said:

Hi @Iskander,

Best,
    Lars

Hi @Iskander,

What iPad model/iPadOS?

Best,
    Lars

iPad Pro 10.5“ / iOS 14.3

Unfortunately neither our engineering, nor our QA is able to reproduce the problem.
    Are you able to re-install Cubasis easily? If so, please make sure to backup your files properly first!