Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo is an AU host now / the new Drambo mega thread

Comments

• @xor said:

@sigma79 said:

@xor said:

@xor said:

@sigma79 said:

@xor said:

@sigma79 said:
    Dosent work even on same track, with euclidean notes to trigger zones on drum computer. This is also without midi.

Is this what you’re trying to do?

No xor. Multi out Drum computer.

Thanks

You’re adjusting the sequencer of the muted channel, what do you expect to happen?

What about Drambo and multi-out DrumComputer are you attempting that this doesn’t show?

What do you mean xor. Just sequence drum computer multiout. Turn down a channel then tweak that channel. It will effect other channel.

Thanks, I wasn’t understanding what you were trying to point out. I don’t think it has anything to do with tweaking knobs although that might force the problem. It also has nothing to do with the channel volume, that just makes it easier to hear. I also ran this in single-out(?) mode and it still exhibits the same issue.

I have an AUM session that triggers that behavior all by itself. It starts glitching at about 0:30.

Here’s a screenshot of a midi monitor capture right after a double-hit on the B0 (note 35). Notice that there’s only one B0 between the two B4s (note 83). The A1s (note 45) are on the silent channel.

Here’s a link to the AUM project if a you want to send it on to SB as an example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d70fo1pcbipif2x/DramboDCGlitches.aumproj?dl=0

Good work xor. Will see if SB thinks theres a problem or fixable problem.

Thanks

• edited April 2021

iPad powered on, Drambo started, Powered interface connected to USB-C hub, connecting and checking how many outputs available at tracks??? 4

So I start in background AUM and check - also 4 outs! :)

Closed both apps, without restart again run AUM and I see 24 outs available.
    So Drambo under AUM use 8 stereo buses, and standalone.... I hope one day 24 outs.
    yes, I can use second instance in AUM and have more channels, but there is no standalone multichannel with Auv3 inside Drambo.
    edit: Drambo standalone show 44.1kHz (even if my interface is locked at 48kHz),
    sound dropz, after changing setting Drambo on 48kHz sound is good.
    Maybe..... during initialization Drambo not recognize possible modes, and use 44kHz and 4 outs on my interface.

I meet similar behavior on for example AUDIOBUS3 and Zenbeat.
    Differently, some apps show all 24 in and outs of rme oceanic xtc , and some apps like Drambo now show only 24 in and 4 outs. Please give me my rest 20 out channels ;)

edit2: started AUM ---> 24 outs from interface
    Starting Drambo as separate app, available outs in AUM drop to 4.

• edited April 2021

@szczyp said:
    iPad powered on, Drambo started, Powered interface connected to USB-C hub, connecting and checking how many outputs available at tracks??? 4

So I start in background AUM and check - also 4 outs! :)

Closed both apps, without restart again run AUM and I see 24 outs available.
    So Drambo under AUM use 8 stereo buses, and standalone.... I hope one day 24 outs.
    yes, I can use second instance in AUM and have more channels, but there is no standalone multichannel with Auv3 inside Drambo.
    edit: Drambo standalone show 44.1kHz (even if my interface is locked at 48kHz),
    sound dropz, after changing setting Drambo on 48kHz sound is good.
    Maybe..... during initialization Drambo not recognize possible modes, and use 44kHz and 4 outs on my interface.

I meet similar behavior on for example AUDIOBUS3 and Zenbeat.
    Differently, some apps show all 24 in and outs of rme oceanic xtc , and some apps like Drambo now show only 24 in and 4 outs. Please give me my rest 20 out channels ;)

edit2: started AUM ---> 24 outs from interface
    Starting Drambo as separate app, available outs in AUM drop to 4.

Does it come up with only 4 out, whether your interface set to 44.1 or 48k?

F.e
    1) launch D (without interface) and make sure in settings that 48k selected
    2) power on XTC (unattached) and make sure it’s LOCKed @48k as well
    3) attach interface

Could you please try if it fails for both 44.1 and 48k.
    Also, make sure Background audio is ‘on’. So, switching apps, escaping D doesn’t ‘release’ the interface.
    Please consider coming over to beepstreet forum to keep this thread free of ‘noise’ and to get better attention from the man :)

• If you had a big sample library with a lot of instruments(not many multi sampled) and also use Drambo a ton, would you rather store them in Drambo or something like AudioLayer? Cos I’m about to spend probably the next 24 hours doing that and can’t commit to something yet

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    If you had a big sample library with a lot of instruments(not many multi sampled) and also use Drambo a ton, would you rather store them in Drambo or something like AudioLayer? Cos I’m about to spend probably the next 24 hours doing that and can’t commit to something yet

I would definitely let the host to build its library, using its optimised samplers, so generally Drambo.
    On the other hand Drambo atm only allows access to its file system through WebDAV, which isn’t ideal for some use cases. This will change at some point, so I’m personally putting off library cleanup until it’s accessible from Files app.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    If you had a big sample library with a lot of instruments(not many multi sampled) and also use Drambo a ton, would you rather store them in Drambo or something like AudioLayer? Cos I’m about to spend probably the next 24 hours doing that and can’t commit to something yet

I would definitely let the host to build its library, using its optimised samplers, so generally Drambo.
    On the other hand Drambo atm only allows access to its file system through WebDAV, which isn’t ideal for some use cases. This will change at some point, so I’m personally putting off library cleanup until it’s accessible from Files app.

The WebDAV part has been a bit of a drag for sure but if Files access is on the roadmap, I may as well just fill up Drambo. That’s a relief though cos AudioLayer can be a headache and a half for me

• xtc locked on 44,1kHz
    Drambo show still only 4 out channels.
    Attached gif shows similar action:

Run AUM and checking : 24 outs
    Close AUM and run D standalone
    Chcecking how many outs ? still 4
    Close Drambo again run AUM: 24 outs

Yes, Im registered on beep-street forum. Thank you!

@0tolerance4silence said:

Does it come up with only 4 out, whether your interface set to 44.1 or 48k?

F.e
    1) launch D (without interface) and make sure in settings that 48k selected
    2) power on XTC (unattached) and make sure it’s LOCKed @48k as well
    3) attach interface

Could you please try if it fails for both 44.1 and 48k.
    Also, make sure Background audio is ‘on’. So, switching apps, escaping D doesn’t ‘release’ the interface.
    Please consider coming over to beepstreet forum to keep this thread free of ‘noise’ and to get better attention from the man :)

• If I bought a 2nd ipad so I could monitor drums and samples. Then I think Id just need a mixer ( ideally split cue ) but could use speakers.

I think you would need a song mode preset switch for drums and samples.

Then if you were going to add track length via a midi knob. Where left shortens track. Could be wise to add a feature to that where activated can use same midi knob to wipe sequence. Left wipes sequence.

Thats if finding a few synths with most range for live. You can switch presets without spiking cpu, I think.

• @0tolerance4silence
    I’m not sure about AudioLayer, but importing samples in Drambo from my iPad Files app doesn’t duplicate files. I have my samples in AudioShare and Drambo and that doesn’t multiply the storage used.

• Where are the samples when saved sampled via drambo and saved in drambo.

Cloud?

• @sigma79 said:
    Where are the samples when saved sampled via drambo and saved in drambo.

Cloud?

No, always locally, cloud would be much too slow.
    You can access all files using a WebDAV client like Readdle Documents (I've given a setup guide on another thread here)

• @rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Where are the samples when saved sampled via drambo and saved in drambo.

Cloud?

No, always locally, cloud would be much too slow.
    You can access all files using a WebDAV client like Readdle Documents (I've given a setup guide on another thread here)

Thanks rs2000. Found different folders but saved local.

Just made a mad Euclidean drum setup but didnt realise how much the sequencer clashes with another sound or ignored the fact. Would be cool if you could expand grid to edit. Unless of course the sequencer itself has all combinations via different settings.

• @sigma79

Here’s an article that explains ,’Euclidean sequencers’, and why they are designed the way they are.

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/what-is-euclidean-sequencing-and-how-do-you-use-it

• @Gravitas said:
    @sigma79

Here’s an article that explains ,’Euclidean sequencers’, and why they are designed the way they are.

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/what-is-euclidean-sequencing-and-how-do-you-use-it

Thanks Grav.

• 12 track euclidean drums. 60 knobs. 12 spare for effects. Just sampled apps quick to test. Tbh if I were listening. Id say you gotta chill mate. A bit OTT tbh.

• edited April 2021

I will make a better vid to see if it can be better. Transposing every sample via key sounds a bit happy hardcore-ish. Think its better to slow down and have a few tracks fast. Could do with a bit of swing. I think the extra tracks would be for samples but maybe on sequencer and selected so theres a mix. Waste of tracks maybe because Iv only got 4 synths. More without making vol and solos, even more complicated.

• Is there an easy way to Solo the Active Track, with a single external controller ?
    Mute+Track Selection, in one "click" (single external CC)

• @Gravitas said:
    @sigma79

How would you resync the Euclidean sequencers after so many bars as described in this article? I played around with the counter and retrigger modules, but this is beyond my grasp.

• @xraydash said:

@Gravitas said:
    @sigma79

How would you resync the Euclidean sequencers after so many bars as described in this article? I played around with the counter and retrigger modules, but this is beyond my grasp.

Good question.
    Interestingly enough I don’t know as yet.
    Pressing stop and then start again will ruin a flow.
    I’m going to try a couple of ideas.
    If I don’t reply straight away?
    It’s because I haven’t found the answer yet or someone else is figuring out the answer for us.

• @Gravitas said:

@xraydash said:

@Gravitas said:
    @sigma79

Good question.
    It’s because I haven’t found the answer yet or someone else is figuring out the answer for us.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. I’ll keep trying too. There’s likely more than one solution!

• @mbncp said:
    Is there an easy way to Solo the Active Track, with a single external controller ?

There are solo buttons on the main track that you can midi learn, I just learn my solo buttons on my nanokontrol to each solo button on the tracks

• edited April 2021

@xraydash said:

@Gravitas said:

@xraydash said:

@Gravitas said:
    @sigma79

Good question.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. I’ll keep trying too. There’s likely more than one solution!

No problem.

There’s a patch up on patchstorage called Loop Launcher v1
    Here’s the link.

https://patchstorage.com/loop-launcher-v1/

I was thinking to adapt it to retrigger the Euclidean sequencer somehow.
    I had adapted it to trigger the cv sequencer instead so that the cv sequencers
    could be launched and stopped in time with the overall track time.
    I’m wondering if this could also be adapted to trigger or retrigger the Euclidean sequencer as well.
    Good food for thought.

• xorxor
    edited April 2021

@Gravitas said:

@xraydash said:

@Gravitas said:
    @sigma79

Good question.

I tried the obvious “time” components but none caused the sequencer to reset. It’d be nice if the sequencer had a reset input but...

Only thing I’ve found is using an x-fader or a n-1 switch that toggles between the clock and nothing. Be sure to hook up the first input to the track’s clock signal. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to figure out how to incorporate a trigger button for a single-press activation so you need to double-tap a switch button as shown in this video...

• @xor said:

@Gravitas said:

@xraydash said:

@Gravitas said:
    @sigma79

Good question.

I tried the obvious “time” components but none caused the sequencer to reset. It’d be nice if the sequencer had a reset input but...

Only thing I’ve found is using an x-fader or a n-1 switch that toggles between the clock and nothing. Be sure to hook up the first input to the track’s clock signal. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to figure out how to incorporate a trigger button for a single-press activation so you need to double-tap a switch button as shown in this video...

That’s a good manual solution. It took me a few tries to reproduce because I didn’t realize you connected the clock from the Euclidean sequencer to the n-1 switch. :D

• edited April 2021

@xraydash @xor

There is a way to start/stop the Euclidean sequencer using rs2000’s Loop Launcher v1 patch.

Here’s the link again.

https://patchstorage.com/loop-launcher-v1/

Open up the Loop Launcher instrument rack.
    Delete the ,’Flexi Sampler’, module.
    Copy the remaining contents.
    Create a ,’Midi rack’, and paste the contents into the ,’Midi rack’.
    Next add a ,’Midi to cv’, module and a Euclidean sequencer
    alongside the contents you’ve copied into the ,’Midi Rack’.
    Connect the ,’Euclidean sequencer’, time input to the module, ‘Length’.
    The top connector on the ,’Length”, module should
    be connected to the midi rack time signal.
    Type in 0.2501 for ‘Trigs/Beat’.
    There’s a bug with 0.25, it’s mentioned in the Loop Launcher itself.
    Connect time signal to the ,’Midi rack’.
    The top signal in the ,’Function module’, should be
    connected to velocity in the ,’midi to cv’, module.
    I disconnected the midi input on the Euclidean sequencer
    because it double triggers the instrument I was using to test this.

rs2000’s version of the Loop Launcher is designed to be
    triggered using the onscreen pads with velocity enabled.
    So tap hi and it’ll start, tap low and it’ll stop.
    There is a way to do it using one midi note, let’s get this happening first though.

Here’s a screenshot of what you should have.

• @Gravitas said:
    @xraydash @xor

There is a way to start/stop the Euclidean sequencer using rs2000’s Loop Launcher v1 patch.

I got it going, sort of. No sound, but the sequencer runs when I tap the pad. I'll take another look again tomorrow and see what connections I missed.

• @xraydash said:

@Gravitas said:
    @xraydash @xor

I got it going, sort of. No sound, but the sequencer runs when I tap the pad. I'll take another look again tomorrow and see what connections I missed.

I thought that might happen.
    I just double checked it myself.
    Add a ,’midi to cv module’, in between
    the ,’Midi Rack’, and the ,’Instrument Rack’,
    you’re using or set the ,’Instrument’, to midi.

• edited April 2021

@Fingolfinzz said:

@mbncp said:
    Is there an easy way to Solo the Active Track, with a single external controller ?

There are solo buttons on the main track that you can midi learn, I just learn my solo buttons on my nanokontrol to each solo button on the tracks

That would require require a bunch of buttons that I don't have. I want to solo the active track, not track Nr. xx

The complicated method is to listen to that button/cc on every track(I only get midi on the active track), send a new cc back to drambo that will solo this only track, but I was hoping for something easier.

Thanks anyway :)

It would be nice to have midi learn for active track: volume,mute,solo,sends, auv view activation with prev,next view,..

In the meantime a MIDI CC modulator, CC generator(different CC on each track), a Midi output (to drambo) and an atom js script (loopback drambo out -> drambo in) will do.
    A "Drambo Control" fake port selectable in a midi output module would be top.

• @Frank303 said:
    @0tolerance4silence
    I’m not sure about AudioLayer, but importing samples in Drambo from my iPad Files app doesn’t duplicate files. I have my samples in AudioShare and Drambo and that doesn’t multiply the storage used.

Tbh, I’m illiterate when it comes to iOS storage. Few times I thought I ‘get it’, but was always proven wrong, so gave up and never dug deeper. Only been close to the limit once or twice on my 32GB mini2 and never considered bigger than 64GB device. Dragging the same ~2GB of drum samples / chains around for the past 10 years :)

• @Gravitas @xor
    Got it! Using p-locks for xor’s switch idea on the first and last steps of a four bar pattern, you can automate the resync. Here’s the breakdown: