Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio

Comments

• @despego said:
    Small things for sure.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Well, if you have suggestions as alternative for the long-press, I'd appreciate it, but I think it's just something you learn once like you have to learn any DAW. The textboxes and dialogs are just standard iOS textboxes. If you look at the new effect grid and its effects browser and LFO dialog for example, you see a different type of dialog. These are made in JUCE and I can change its look and feel. Gradually, the whole app will change to that, but I cannot change all dialogs at once since that would take another two years probably.

• I understand that. Still impressed by the pace you have with updates and how responsive you are about requests.

Regarding the long press you are right , it’s a question of getting used to it. This is by the way something that reminds me of the “vagueness “ of Tim Webb’s tutorials. It took me two videos to find it and it’s only mentioned briefly. I think removing a track is something basic that should be explained right after how to add a track (which by the way is obvious with the big + button).

And yes, it is the iOS standard text boxes that are somehow intrusive. The new effect grid looks much better.

• I’m not seeing it and may very well be missing it: midi learn for knobs, buttons, faders and transport controls?

• @Sawiton said:
    I’m not seeing it and may very well be missing it: midi learn for knobs, buttons, faders and transport controls?

There is no MIDI remote control currently in the iOS version, so also no MIDI learn.

• edited December 2020

Here is another one @dwrae, although this one is a rare and very specific occurance.

Both ApeSoft and Toneboosters (the standalone, not the one offered as IAP) use the "Reverb" moniker as their plugin name in the AUv3 list. Basically you can only tell the difference by looking at the icons. The TB one is the first and the ApeSoft is the second.

Now if I add the ApeSoft in an FX Group then save and exit upon reloading I find the Toneboosters plugin loaded instead in that slot. And this repeats everytime.

I know that usually devs don't name their plugins the same but as this is the case maybe it's worth investigating.

• @wim @dwrae

Great, thanks.

• @Aletheia said:
    Here is another one @dwrae, although this one is a rare and very specific occurance.

Both ApeSoft and Toneboosters (the standalone, not the one offered as IAP) use the "Reverb" moniker as their plugin name in the AUv3 list. Basically you can only tell the difference by looking at the icons. The TB one is the first and the ApeSoft is the second.

Now if I add the ApeSoft in an FX Group then save and exit upon reloading I find the Toneboosters plugin loaded instead in that slot. And this repeats everytime.

I know that usually devs don't name their plugins the same but as this is the case maybe it's worth investigating.

I'll check it out, thanks!

• Version 3.0.3 is rolling out:

• User presets can now be loaded and saved for AUv3 effects.
    • The input of an instrument or MIDI track now defaults to a connected MIDI device (when available).
    • Clicking outside of a dialog in the effects section now closes the dialog and prevents crashes due to the display changing with the dialog still on screen (if you have been running 3.0).
    • The size of the AU display in the drum pattern editor was incorrect. Solved.
    • Solved a possible crash when importing from AudioShare when the app was not running.
    • Resetting or entering a value manually for the EQ sliders lead to incorrect results in 3.0. Solved.
    • Fx Send Level was not loaded correctly in 3.0. solved.
  • @Aletheia said:

Should be fixed now, although I currently don't have plug-ins with the same name to test.

• Awesome, I'll let you know if it was.

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 3.5.2 for iOS released:

• Selecting 'None' as source track to remove the sidechain didn't work. Solved.
    • Changing instruments while playing back could potentially cause a crash. Solved.
    • Changing instruments while using a MIDI controller could block MIDI events from being processed for some time. Solved.
    • Changing instruments from Evolution One to a AUv3 could cause a crash. Solved.
  • edited January 2021

Thanks for your updates, @dwrae . Here’s another question, do you think it would be possible to route audio out of midi instrument tracks onto a new audio track? Here’s the usage scenario (I know it might be niche)

When using GeoShred AUv3 as Midi Instrument if I hit record and play on the instrument Midi does get recorded on a region. However, upon playback GeoShred complaints that it’s not being played by an MPE controller so doesn’t play back the midi that’s been recorded. As such, there’s no way to record what I play.

I can do that if I load GeoShred as IAA source, but as that is less and less supported there are glitches all the time. Sometimes it works perfectly, other times there are crackles other times crashes. I don’t expect things to get better as Apple intends to phase out this.

Adding MPE capabilities to AEM midi probably is a long term endeavor so I was thinking a good short term solution would be this routing, as I’m not necessarily interested in editing what I do in GeoShred, just record the damn thing :)) So if I would be able to route the MidiInstrument track with the AUV3 on a bus then record that bus as audio then it would definitely be a solution for me.

Agains thanks for your constant improvements!

• @Aletheia said:
    Thanks for your updates, @dwrae . Here’s another question, do you think it would be possible to route audio out of midi instrument tracks onto a new audio track? Here’s the usage scenario (I know it might be niche)

When using GeoShred AUv3 as Midi Instrument if I hit record and play on the instrument Midi does get recorded on a region. However, upon playback GeoShred complaints that it’s not being played by an MPE controller so doesn’t play back the midi that’s been recorded. As such, there’s no way to record what I play.

I can do that if I load GeoShred as IAA source, but as that is less and less supported there are glitches all the time. Sometimes it works perfectly, other times there are crackles other times crashes. I don’t expect things to get better as Apple intends to phase out this.

Adding MPE capabilities to AEM midi probably is a long term endeavor so I was thinking a good short term solution would be this routing, as I’m not necessarily interested in editing what I do in GeoShred, just record the damn thing :)) So if I would be able to route the MidiInstrument track with the AUV3 on a bus then record that bus as audio then it would definitely be a solution for me.

Hmm.. this is probably a long shot, but if you open the track's input dialog and select 'Keep' for MIDI channel information, does that solve the MPE complaint?

• @dwrae said:

@Aletheia said:

Hmm.. this is probably a long shot, but if you open the track's input dialog and select 'Keep' for MIDI channel information, does that solve the MPE complaint?

It doesn't. It probably has to do with that CCs and other things GeoShred expects to receive but I don't know much about MPE to tell. That's why the audio "catching" would be simpler before full MPE implementation which is I agree a long term implementation.

• @Aletheia said:

@dwrae said:

@Aletheia said:

It doesn't. It probably has to do with that CCs and other things GeoShred expects to receive but I don't know much about MPE to tell. That's why the audio "catching" would be simpler before full MPE implementation which is I agree a long term implementation.

Well, MPE works with Roli hardware as long as the app sends back what it receives, so this would be much simpler. I'll try to find out why 'Keep MIDI channels' isn't working in this case.

• @dwrae said:

@Aletheia said:

@dwrae said:

@Aletheia said:

Well, MPE works with Roli hardware as long as the app sends back what it receives, so this would be much simpler. I'll try to find out why 'Keep MIDI channels' isn't working in this case.

Could be that the app doesn't send first what it needs to receive... Or the midi in aem filters something out

• Another issue I've discovered is that the popular granular plugin Spacecraft gives an error seconds after it's loaded: "Error 701 Spacecraft is not compatible as Audio Unit in this host. Try loading in a different slot (i.e. as an Effect)...although it is loaded as an FX :) (either on an Audio or Midi Instrument track).

It would be nice if @deltaVaudio and @dwrae find the time to see what's the culprit, it's a pity for AEM to miss such a great plugin.

• Hey I’ve been out of music making for a few months now but jumping back in and super excited to update but I’m worried that with the overhaul of the “insert effects” (long awaited) I might lose some of the combinations and automations of current projects in the previous version...can anybody confirm a smooth transfer for old projects?

• @ManWhoWouldBeStrings said:
    Hey I’ve been out of music making for a few months now but jumping back in and super excited to update but I’m worried that with the overhaul of the “insert effects” (long awaited) I might lose some of the combinations and automations of current projects in the previous version...can anybody confirm a smooth transfer for old projects?

They are loaded and handled just like previous versions and any bug would have surfaced by now I think.

• is there a way to take drum samples i like from pc and make them into a kit i can use in audio evolution mobile?

• @Briandandrig said:
    is there a way to take drum samples i like from pc and make them into a kit i can use in audio evolution mobile?

No, it's often requested, but not yet possible.

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 4.0 for iOS has been released:

• The arranger/timeline screen now features an optional new user interface: editing of clips can now be done faster without a scroll/edit mode and resembles the behavior of other DAWs.
    • The split button behavior can now be set: either as a button to split at the position of the time marker or as a mode as before.
    • Grid lines were not drawn over MIDI clips. Solved.
    • Solved a problem with importing multi-channel audio files using the Files app.
  • @dwrae said:
    Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 4.0 for iOS has been released:

• The arranger/timeline screen now features an optional new user interface: editing of clips can now be done faster without a scroll/edit mode and resembles the behavior of other DAWs.
    • The split button behavior can now be set: either as a button to split at the position of the time marker or as a mode as before.
    • Grid lines were not drawn over MIDI clips. Solved.
    • Solved a problem with importing multi-channel audio files using the Files app.

Thank you for your efforts

• That's lovely - much better!
    Do you plan at any point to add Ableton link?

• @Hypervox said:
    That's lovely - much better!

Perhaps at some point, currently way too busy with the user manual and getting the last bits ported from Android to iOS.

• My favourite iOS daw., after using ALL the others for years! Thank you for keeping up the development of this product you deserve much more recognition in the iOS music community👏👏

• Really like the new user interface mode, feels much more natural

• @dwrae said:

@Hypervox said:
    That's lovely - much better!

Perhaps at some point, currently way too busy with the user manual and getting the last bits ported from Android to iOS.

Is there a way to sync AEM to another sync master? AudioBus, MIDI clock, SPP, anything? My main workflow is with AUM but I need audio tracks that are in sync with AUM. There is the 4pockets Multitrack AUv3 but it‘s too limited. I don‘t mind if this would involve AudioBus as for me the combination of AUM, AB3 and Xequence is working great... only audio tracks are missing.

• Its cool how you can create a MIDI clip anywhere on the time line, at any length you want then drag and drop it anywhere...rearranging MIDI clips has never been easier!
    Do you have plans to create a clip launcher like Ableton/zenbeats orb will it be staying timeline based?

• @dwrae thanks for new update and new interface mode. Not sure if it’s a bug but copy & paste of regions not working here. I highlight a region/ press copy/ but the Paste tab at top of screen remains Off. Also how do I get the drop down list of options when I long press a region. That seems to have gone. It might be something Iam doing wrong ?