Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio

Comments

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Will you be porting the onboard synth that is available on the Android version? (Arguably not needed on iOS, given IAA and AUv3 on iOS, but still, it’s pretty sweet, as is the Android experience of the app overall...)

Yes, it already compiled in in the current version, it just needs to be 'enabled'.

• edited December 2020

@dwrae said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Will you be porting the onboard synth that is available on the Android version? (Arguably not needed on iOS, given IAA and AUv3 on iOS, but still, it’s pretty sweet, as is the Android experience of the app overall...)

Yes, it already compiled in in the current version, it just needs to be 'enabled'.

Most excellent- its very cool in the Android version, with great presets...

• @dwrae just a quick question will that Unlock for version 1.0 owners ever go away, or will it be there for the foreseeable future?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @dwrae just a quick question will that Unlock for version 1.0 owners ever go away, or will it be there for the foreseeable future?

I am not sure what you mean. If you installed the app before 2.0 went out, you had to do an in app purchase to use more than 3 tracks etc. That will of course stay. Why would I give it away?

• @dwrae sorry for confusion, I don’t expect it to be free at all. I was asking if the Pro (v1.x only) IAP will stay available for awhile. I downloaded the app as soon as it was released and liked it but with so many DAW’s I’ve never unlocked that IAP. I might want to unlock it in the future, especially after this recent update. Since it’s only for people who downloaded the original app, I was asking if the Pro v1.x IAP will be available to purchase for the foreseeable future?

• Ok so it will stay. That’s great to hear thanks. @dwrae

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @dwrae sorry for confusion, I don’t expect it to be free at all. I was asking if the Pro (v1.x only) IAP will stay available for awhile. I downloaded the app as soon as it was released and liked it but with so many DAW’s I’ve never unlocked that IAP. I might want to unlock it in the future, especially after this recent update. Since it’s only for people who downloaded the original app, I was asking if the Pro v1.x IAP will be available to purchase for the foreseeable future?

Yes, it's a bit of a nuisance in the code, but not more than that.

• Can it RECEIVE midi clock?

Or, at least sync to AudioBus? - Which can receive midi clock.

I want to drive the show with the PLAY button on my Yamaha keyboard, and control tempo.

FYI, not sure why I would need time stretching. Record midi tracks first, then audio after tempo is set.

Midi learn?

• @Optahealth said:
    Can it RECEIVE midi clock?

I want to drive the show with the PLAY button on my Yamaha keyboard, and control tempo.

FYI, not sure why I would need time stretching. Record midi tracks first, then audio after tempo is set.

Midi learn?

No, sorry.

• @dwrae said:

@Optahealth said:
    Can it RECEIVE midi clock?

Midi learn?

No, sorry.

Supporting audio tracks with MIDI sync is somewhat challenging to get right.

Although supporting MIDI messages like Song Position Pointer, STATUS = Start, Stop, Continue or Notes and CC for controlling transport and tempo should not be difficult indeed.

@dwrae What do you think?

• edited December 2020

@rs2000 said:

Sure, but it's pretty much useless if it doesn't sync after that. Starting playback can easily take up to half a second and varies depending on how many tracks you have in the project.

• @dwrae said:

@rs2000 said:

Sure, but it's pretty much useless if it doesn't sync after that. Starting playback can easily take up to half a second and varies depending on how many tracks you have in the project.

To be honest, I don't find that useless at all. Even if it takes a second to start and even if there's no tempo sync.
    Imagine a MIDI controller with physical buttons to operate AEM like a hardware machine.
    Rec/Play/Stop/FFW/FFR buttons, a few locator buttons and a bpm knob.
    I think that would make quite a difference in environments where an iPhone screen can be very fiddly and the display too small or the timeline too long to do proper positioning without a lot of zooming.

• @rs2000 said:

@dwrae said:

@rs2000 said:

To be honest, I don't find that useless at all. Even if it takes a second to start and even if there's no tempo sync.
    Imagine a MIDI controller with physical buttons to operate AEM like a hardware machine.
    I think that would make quite a difference in environments where an iPhone screen can be very fiddly and the display too small or the timeline too long to do proper positioning without a lot of zooming.

Ok, that would be what the MIDI remote control does in the Android version (except for tempo change). That still needs porting indeed. With that you can control several transport commands and mixer controls.

• @dwrae said:

@rs2000 said:

@dwrae said:

@rs2000 said:

Ok, that would be what the MIDI remote control does in the Android version (except for tempo change). That still needs porting indeed. With that you can control several transport commands and mixer controls.

Sounds goooooood 😊👍🏼

• @dwrae said:

@cian said:
    So I can't use it to control a drum AUV3 like Ruismaker? That's a shame.

By changing the sound, you change the MIDI note number. So you can, but the app has no way of knowing which instruments the AU has per MIDI note. So, AEM uses the GS/GM standard for drums. If you know which MIDI note number you want you can map it using a table like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI (35 and so on).

Hmm. As a default this makes sense, but unfortunately not all AU3 drum machines follow that standard. It can be worked around using third party apps, but it's kind of irritating.

The ideal would be to allow users to change the midi note and label for each lane. And maybe create templates for the step sequencer.

I just fixed the incorrect size of the AUv3 in the drum pattern editor.

Cool. I'll wait for that to be released as an update. Thanks.

• Can it import multi-channel/track midi files, with each channel on a separate track?

• edited December 2020

@Optahealth said:
    Can it import multi-channel/track midi files, with each channel on a separate track?

Since 3.0.0, yes (for audio).

MIDI 0 files do not import as separate tracks, but you could choose 'Split MIDI channels' in the track menu. MIDI 1 files are always loaded as separate tracks.

• edited December 2020

--

• @dwrae said:

@Optahealth said:
    Can it import multi-channel/track midi files, with each channel on a separate track?

Since 3.0.0, yes (for audio).

MIDI 0 files do not import as separate tracks, but you could choose 'Split MIDI channels' in the track menu. MIDI 1 files are always loaded as separate tracks.

Awesome feature! Will be getting this. Even Ableton doesn't do this.

• Here's a possible bug @dwrae

With the current version of AEM, whenever I load a saved project the FX sends revert to 0. I've tried with two different projects, no matter what send level I set and then save project, if I close the app, start again and load the project all will be at zero.

• edited December 2020

@Aletheia said:
    Here's a possible bug @dwrae

With the current version of AEM, whenever I load a saved project the FX sends revert to 0. I've tried with two different projects, no matter what send level I set and then save project, if I close the app, start again and load the project all will be at zero.

Ah, thanks for the bug report. I fixed it. It's a shame I just submitted version 3.0.2 for review by Apple, otherwise you would get a fix real quick.

Edit: never mind, I aborted 3.0.2 and am uploading 3.0.3 with the fix since it's too important.

• Top game! Cheers!

• Exciting. Just in time for me to sit down this weekend and try to get grips with this app.

• @cian said:
    Exciting. Just in time for me to sit down this weekend and try to get grips with this app.

Well, it's still a roll-out of 7 days which starts again when Apple approves 3.0.2. I had to halt 3.0.0 after a day because of some bug reports.

• I really like the overall UI. It takes time to get used to it (like spending 1/2 hour trying to delete a track, ah, it was long press on the time line) but eventually one gets it.

The thing I don't like so much are the pop-up dialogues, like the long press or the tempo/time signature menu. It feels like suddenly you're out dealing with iPad settings, not the DAW. And why not make use of the touch screen gestures to enter values like time signature?

Just saying @dwrae

• @despego said:
    The thing I don't like so much are the pop-up dialogues, like the long press or the tempo/time signature menu. It feels like suddenly you're out dealing with iPad settings, not the DAW. And why not make use of the touch screen gestures to enter values like time signature?

Long-press on the tempo/time signature menu? I don't recall having anything like that? Can you please explain what you mean by gestures to enter values?

• @dwrae said:

@despego said:

Long-press on the tempo/time signature menu? I don't recall having anything like that? Can you please explain what you mean by gestures to enter values?

Long press to get the pop-up menu for track options:

Tempo and time signature menu feels "keyboard" like:

Sliders, buttons or a combination of both would be good.

The white background (in both pictures) is what I mean stands in contrast with the rest of the layout.

Small things for sure.

• Can you resize the keyboard alá Cubasis in this DAW? Personally when using keyboards in apps, I need 2,5 to 3 octaves, does it go that far? Can you scroll the keys (like in AUM or Cubasis)?

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@ChrisG said:
    Can you resize the keyboard alá Cubasis in this DAW? Personally when using keyboards in apps, I need 2,5 to 3 octaves, does it go that far? Can you scroll the keys (like in AUM or Cubasis)?

Yes. It ranges from 1 to 3.5 octaves on my iPad Air 2, and 4 notes to 27 notes on iPhone 7s.

• @ChrisG said:
    Can you resize the keyboard alá Cubasis in this DAW? Personally when using keyboards in apps, I need 2,5 to 3 octaves, does it go that far? Can you scroll the keys (like in AUM or Cubasis)?

It depends on your screen size, but yes, you can zoom and scroll by pinching or sliding over the keyboard overview.