Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio

Comments

• edited December 2020

@itsaghost said:
    I’m also curious if anyone uses this in their workflow. I found this app while looking through the app store during black friday, and it made me put off getting Auria pro because it seemed to be in a similar wheelhouse. Could be wrong, but I definitely wanna hear from anyone who uses it!

What kind of use case are you asking about? I use it. I haven't finished a track in it but then I haven't actually finished a track yet. I like it more than NS2, BM3 and Apematrix for some things. I like them more for others. Except Apematrix. I am thinking that one is somewhere further down the rabbit hole.

• It's my go-to DAW for live multitrack audio and MIDI recording on both iPad and iPhone, it can record 8 audio tracks from a USB interface on an iPhone 5S easily and simultaneously, multitrack editing, a very nice piano roll (which just got a few more enhancements to be released soon) and a solid Sound font sample player that, now listen, can also import SFZ sound banks, plus it has a number of quality instrument sound fonts available as IAP.

What's more: It's the only iOS platform that you can try-before-buy all Toneboosters plugins in their native AEM version and if you decide to purchase them, you get them for a much lower price than the AUv3 versions.
    Definitely the cheapest way to get the TB collection.

The different editing modes need a bit getting used to but they're quite deep.

Time stretching is quite good too, as Davy had decided to license a third party algorithm instead of trying to make one by his own. Same for the sample player, it's stable third party code.

• @gusgranite said:
    Yes. Great ti see this DAW get developed further. Going to jump in again.

Would it be great if we could restore the Toneboosters plugins if we already own them on iOS? I’m guessing that’s not possible though.

You can simply select any plug-in you own in the 'Audio units' section. The list of effects initially shows all 'Internal effects'.

• @itsaghost said:
    I’m also curious if anyone uses this in their workflow. I found this app while looking through the app store during black friday, and it made me put off getting Auria pro because it seemed to be in a similar wheelhouse. Could be wrong, but I definitely wanna hear from anyone who uses it!

I am less of a linear music person, I get inspired only by improvisation, modular workflow, generative patterns and free-form structure. From this point of view AUM is still miles ahead, as I can use it's routing abilities to route midi both inside and outside to some external hardware. But once I've done my whacky improvs I still end up with some definite passages of music that need some cleaning up, selection of the best parts and mixing enhancements. So this is where I record enable all my AUM tracks and go through everything for a certain amount of time.

Then I import the tracks into AEM and it is here where it shines as I can add resource intensive mixing plugins and just focus on getting a good sound while earlier I just focused on composing. I know you can also do both in AUM but I'm much more efficient having them separate like this and I also avoid the common pitfall of searching for "that" tone instead of focusing on creating ideas.

For mixing thus I find AEM the easiest to work with, it's very stable and it gets the job done.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Audio Evolution is truly awesome now! Can I request Toneboosters Compressor and Enhancer as future IAPs? I really hope this hard work makes @dware a well compensated fella.

They will be added after all features from the latest Android version have been ported to iOS.

• @jolico said:
    @dwrae

I have already purchased the AuV3 versions of the Toneboosters apps, but AEMS shows them as in app purchases.

That's not really surprising although it could perhaps filter them out. The initial category in the effects list is 'All internal effects'. The Toneboosters effects that are part of AEM have not been purchased so they show up as that. If you have purchased Toneboosters as AUv3, you will find them in the 'Audio units' category.

• @rs2000 said:
    It's my go-to DAW for live multitrack audio and MIDI recording on both iPad and iPhone, it can record 8 audio tracks from a USB interface on an iPhone 5S easily and simultaneously.

Which interface are you using?

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@rs2000 said:
    It's my go-to DAW for live multitrack audio and MIDI recording on both iPad and iPhone, it can record 8 audio tracks from a USB interface on an iPhone 5S easily and simultaneously.

Which interface are you using?

Zoom UAC-8.

• Found a bug @dwrae - when I try to use Ruismaker (using the drum step sequencer) and I click on AU3 - Ruismaker is enormous and most of the UI is off the screen (and inaccessible to me).

Also, is there a way to remap the pads for the step sequencer. I couldn't work out what MIDI notes it was sending out, and there didn't seem to be anyway to change them.

Also finding a few places where it just seems a little slow to respond. I can identify these and report them if needed.

• edited December 2020

@cian said:
    Found a bug @dwrae - when I try to use Ruismaker (using the drum step sequencer) and I click on AU3 - Ruismaker is enormous and most of the UI is off the screen (and inaccessible to me).

Also, is there a way to remap the pads for the step sequencer. I couldn't work out what MIDI notes it was sending out, and there didn't seem to be anyway to change them.

Also finding a few places where it just seems a little slow to respond. I can identify these and report them if needed.

I agree with this, there are some AUv3s that don’t size themselves properly, they’re enormous and inaccessible. This is happening for me with the midi track AUv3 window, it’s also cutting off access to the track fader on the left. The audio track AUv3 window seems to size properly.

Even if the AUv3 window is not resizable, it’s a bit strange not to have access to the master fader or any other AEM section while in an AUv3 window. Maybe that’s subjective opinion?

• @ashh said:

@itsaghost said:

What kind of use case are you asking about? I use it. I haven't finished a track in it but then I haven't actually finished a track yet. I like it more than NS2, BM3 and Apematrix for some things. I like them more for others. Except Apematrix. I am thinking that one is somewhere further down the rabbit hole.

I'm definitely looking for a good DAW for audio editing and arranging. I create mostly in BM3 or AUM and then take the audio into another DAW to arrange and mix and all that. I’ve been using Cubasis for that but something about it doesn’t click with me. Can’t quite put my finger on it though. I just get frustrated with it sometimes.

• @dwrae
    This is really smart-looking. I’m assuming that LFO tap-to-modulate business that Tim Webb demonstrates is only for onboard FX, right? Surely I can’t assign an LFO to another AU effect?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    @dwrae
    This is really smart-looking. I’m assuming that LFO tap-to-modulate business that Tim Webb demonstrates is only for onboard FX, right? Surely I can’t assign an LFO to another AU effect?

I was just thinking of this last night. I cannot add the double-tap to open a pop-up menu where you can select a Modifier when using a AUv3. I should however be able to query the individual parameters and add an LFO button of some sort to the top row where you would first select the parameter. I need to investigate this though.

• @Aletheia said:

@itsaghost said:

I am less of a linear music person, I get inspired only by improvisation, modular workflow, generative patterns and free-form structure. From this point of view AUM is still miles ahead, as I can use it's routing abilities to route midi both inside and outside to some external hardware. But once I've done my whacky improvs I still end up with some definite passages of music that need some cleaning up, selection of the best parts and mixing enhancements. So this is where I record enable all my AUM tracks and go through everything for a certain amount of time.

Then I import the tracks into AEM and it is here where it shines as I can add resource intensive mixing plugins and just focus on getting a good sound while earlier I just focused on composing. I know you can also do both in AUM but I'm much more efficient having them separate like this and I also avoid the common pitfall of searching for "that" tone instead of focusing on creating ideas.

For mixing thus I find AEM the easiest to work with, it's very stable and it gets the job done.

Some great tips and pointers there - thanks 😀

• @dwrae

• is there a way to remap midi notes for the step sequencer?
    • Do you need more information about the AUV3 instrument sizing problem?
  • @dwrae For LFOs - ApeMatrix handles these well. If you don't have it - I might be able to find a video demonstrating how it handles them.

• @cian said:
    @dwrae

MIDI is not used in the drum pattern sequencer. You can change the sounds by double tapping the instrument name though.

No, I'll need to see the sizing problem for myself first, which I'll try today, thanks. Meanwhile I have been informed how other apps handle it, but it's something for next year anyway.

• @dwrae said:

@cian said:
    @dwrae

MIDI is not used in the drum pattern sequencer. You can change the sounds by double tapping the instrument name though.

No, I'll need to see the sizing problem for myself first, which I'll try today, thanks. Meanwhile I have been informed how other apps handle it, but it's something for next year anyway.

So I can't use it to control a drum AUV3 like Ruismaker? That's a shame.

• Can one export stems from AEM?

• @cian said:
    So I can't use it to control a drum AUV3 like Ruismaker? That's a shame.

By changing the sound, you change the MIDI note number. So you can, but the app has no way of knowing which instruments the AU has per MIDI note. So, AEM uses the GS/GM standard for drums. If you know which MIDI note number you want you can map it using a table like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI (35 and so on).

I just fixed the incorrect size of the AUv3 in the drum pattern editor.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Can one export stems from AEM?

Yes, please press Project and select 'Export to other DAW (rendered tracks)'

• @cian said:

Please do and send your findings to [email protected]

• Actually, @dwrae from this mixing point of view, do you think you'll be able to add real time editing of volume automation?

Right now playing has to be on pause for the adding or moving of automation points. If it is playing then tapping or moving them doesn't do anything. Unless I'm doing something wrong or there's an automation recording mode I have failed to see :)

• edited December 2020

@Aletheia said:
    Actually, @dwrae from this mixing point of view, do you think you'll be able to add real time editing of volume automation?

Right now playing has to be on pause for the adding or moving of automation points. If it is playing then tapping or moving them doesn't do anything. Unless I'm doing something wrong or there's an automation recording mode I have failed to see :)

You can record automation by moving faders etc. when activating the Touch button in the Mixer screen, but you cannot move automation points while playing/recording.

• @dwrae
    any eta on manual update? I can't find any info on loading/importing .SFZ files ?

• @dwrae said:

@Aletheia said:
    Actually, @dwrae from this mixing point of view, do you think you'll be able to add real time editing of volume automation?

You can record automation by moving faders etc. when activating the Touch button in the Mixer screen, but you cannot move automation points while playing/recording.

Oh, you are right. It didn't catch my eye, but good to know, thanks!

• @joniqwest said:
    @dwrae
    any eta on manual update? I can't find any info on loading/importing .SFZ files ?

See
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17106/audio-evolution-mobile-daw/p32

The instrument browser allows you to browse to the folder in which you have imported the sfz file.
    Mind the relative sample path names in the sfz.

• @rs2000 Thanks, the reason I am asking for an updated manual is because I see the sound fonts folder but can't figure out how to import my SFZ files , I tried using audio layer( which btw shows SFZ txt file and associated .wav files) but I keep getting an error message.
    @dwrae it would be great to have an actual "import sound fonts" option in the "Project" menu

Thanks

@rs2000 said:

@joniqwest said:
    @dwrae

See
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/17106/audio-evolution-mobile-daw/p32

The instrument browser allows you to browse to the folder in which you have imported the sfz file.
    Mind the relative sample path names in the sfz.

• @joniqwest said:
    @dwrae

Probably January. What you basically need to do is use the Files app to put your sfz file in the SoundFonts folder, or a subfolder thereof. What is important is , like rs2000 says, to make sure that the file names/paths that the sfz file points to are correct. So if you put your sfz file in the SoundFonts folder and the sfz file points to samples/piano1.wav, you should actually have a samples subfolder with the piano1.wav inside it. Sounds logical perhaps, but some people just copy a .sfz file from somewhere and forget to copy the samples or the paths point to some Windows folder like C:/Users/Documents/whatever which is not going to work.

• @dwrae said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    Audio Evolution is truly awesome now! Can I request Toneboosters Compressor and Enhancer as future IAPs? I really hope this hard work makes @dware a well compensated fella.

They will be added after all features from the latest Android version have been ported to iOS.

Will you be porting the onboard synth that is available on the Android version? (Arguably not needed on iOS, given IAA and AUv3 on iOS, but still, it’s pretty sweet, as is the Android experience of the app overall...)