Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio

Comments

• @dwrae said:

@espiegel123 said:

@dwrae said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @dwrae : re demo versions. I suggest checking out what Michael Tyson has done with Loopy Pro. The download is free. There is a free IAP that provides one week of full operability and a paid IAP to unlock all the features. There is an additional thing that he has added which allows for a new IAP after a year to access new features but bug fixes are for lifetime.

I am aware of it, but that is not possible anymore.

Out of curiosity, what makes it impossible? Did Apple make a change that precludes other apps doing that, or is it incompatible with AEM’s code base?

No, the app is paid and I'm not going to make it free again.

Makes sense

• @dwrae said:

@el_bo said:
    Thumbs-up for the interest in feedback. And I didn't expand on the demo aspect, as we've had that discussion already.
    I have an old Android phone. Do you know if AEM compatible with a 2016 Samsung J (Budget line) phone? Of course, I don't get to check how ell it functions with external Auv3's, MIDI plugins etc. which was the area in which Cubasis ended up failing for me :(

Well, don't expect miracles from a 6 year old device, especially from the cheap J series. It will 'work' though.

I guess it's another of those things that for non-tech-savvy folk like me think would be the simplest of things to achieve :)
    It's also another one of those areas where I seem to fall between the cracks. I guess either everyone is using external MIDI 'boars, or...? It's frustrating, as there is clearly never going to be the impetus to add such a big change for one person, but it is really fundamental to my specific use-case. One workaround would be to record a MIDI loop of the sound I'm working on, and have it playing while adjusting effects. But I can see that getting 'tired' pretty easily.

I guess if the demo convinces me that everything is just so good, that it could be overlooked then great!

I'm afraid you won't get used to this if you have been using the keyboard like you describe with other apps. I'm just being honest here while being terrible at marketing! :)

What about an MIDI plugin such as Kai Aras' KB-1? Does that play well in AEM?

On iOS? It should, but since I'm not going to buy every plug-in out there, I hope someone else with experience with the KB-1 can comment.

Thanks! I wouldn't need to stress-test the Android version. It'd just be about checking out the workflow. I think you're right that it's not going to work out for me. Certainly, I doubt there'd be a rush to add the windowed functionality, even if you were convinced of it's worth. I may still try it, anyway.

As for the KB-1 question: I shouldn't have been so specific. I guess I wanted to know how any 3rd party MIDI app would function. Am i right in thinking that they also wouldn't be windowed i.e split between the on-screen keyboard (KB-1, Velocity keyboard, Rozetta suite etc.) and a synth GUI? In other words there is no windowing happening anywhere in the app?

Cheers :)

• @el_bo said:
    As for the KB-1 question: I shouldn't have been so specific. I guess I wanted to know how any 3rd party MIDI app would function. Am i right in thinking that they also wouldn't be windowed i.e split between the on-screen keyboard (KB-1, Velocity keyboard, Rozetta suite etc.) and a synth GUI? In other words there is no windowing happening anywhere in the app?

On a tablet, you will see the keyboard display and the AUv3 MIDI UI with a button to view the AUv3 UI full screen.

• @dwrae said:

@el_bo said:

On a tablet, you will see the keyboard display and the AUv3 MIDI UI with a button to view the AUv3 UI full screen.

Thanks! But I'm still not sure we are talking about the same thing, because your answer implies windowing. It's likely just my misunderstanding. So, to try and make it totally clear:

• In the official videos by Tim Webb, he shows an example of hosting Poison within AEM. Once the keyboard icon is clicked in the channel strip, the arrange page gives gives way to a screen with Poison in the top half, and the AEM on-screen keyboard in the bottom half. Is this not windowing?

What i would like to confirm/clear-up:

• whether it is or isn't possible to keep the on-screen keyboard at the bottom, but have the instrument 'window' instead display the GUI of an effect I wanted to tweak e.g Blackhole.

• whether it is or isn't possible for Poison to remain int he top 'window', but have AEM's on-screen keyboard be replaced by KB-1 or any other 3rd-party MIDI keyboard in that bottom window.

• and...this may be redundant, by the time you get here...but: Is it possible to have a MIDI keyboard on the bottom and an effects GUI on top?

Sorry for being 'slow' ;)

• @el_bo said:

• In the official videos by Tim Webb, he shows an example of hosting Poison within AEM. Once the keyboard icon is clicked in the channel strip, the arrange page gives gives way to a screen with Poison in the top half, and the AEM on-screen keyboard in the bottom half. Is this not windowing?

Not quite, it is a display of the keyboard and AUv3. It is not like the keyboard floats on top of something else or behaves anything like a window. It is specifically programmed for this case.

• whether it is or isn't possible to keep the on-screen keyboard at the bottom, but have the instrument 'window' instead display the GUI of an effect I wanted to tweak e.g Blackhole.

No.

• whether it is or isn't possible for Poison to remain int he top 'window', but have AEM's on-screen keyboard be replaced by KB-1 or any other 3rd-party MIDI keyboard in that bottom window.

No.

• and...this may be redundant, by the time you get here...but: Is it possible to have a MIDI keyboard on the bottom and an effects GUI on top?

No.

• @dwrae said:

@el_bo said:

Not quite, it is a display of the keyboard and AUv3. It is not like the keyboard floats on top of something else or behaves anything like a window. It is specifically programmed for this case.

No.

No.

No.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Guess my last questions would be:

Can you see why each of these abilities would be useful for many and essential for others?

If so, has your mind changed about adding the functionality? :)

• @el_bo said:
    Can you see why each of these abilities would be useful for many and essential for others?

Of course.

Not about its priority, no. I take input from all users and weigh that against effort, risk, demand etc. Nobody in 8 years of having the app on Android has ever asked for being able to tweak effects while using the virtual keyboard. So this is low demand, high risk (design change), major effort which means it quickly falls down the priority list.

• @dwrae said:

@el_bo said:

Of course.

Not about its priority, no. I take input from all users and weigh that against effort, risk, demand etc. Nobody in 8 years of having the app on Android has ever asked for being able to tweak effects while using the virtual keyboard. So this is low demand, high risk (design change), major effort which means it quickly falls down the priority list.

Strange! Tweaking effects while preparing a patch is fundamental tot he way I've always worked. Of course, that's always been with a desktop DAW with connected MIDI keyboards. The iPad for me represents an opportunity to get away from all that connected/tethered-ness of my home-studio, so most of the time even if I wanted to connect an external 'board, it's just not practical. Besides, neither of the 2 portable MIDI keyboards I have gets anywhere close to the functionality and expressiveness of KB-1.

As for the risk involved in changing designs, I'm not sure I understand this. Nothing about this involves forcing any kind of new fixed-architecture on anyone. These are options that would never need to impact those who had no interest in using them. Not saying this should change your interest or priority regarding the possibility of adding, of course.

• @el_bo said:

@dwrae said:

@el_bo said:

Of course.

As for the risk involved in changing designs, I'm not sure I understand this. Nothing about this involves forcing any kind of new fixed-architecture on anyone. These are options that would never need to impact those who had no interest in using them. Not saying this should change your interest or priority regarding the possibility of adding, of course.

I think he means "design" in the software technical sense. How the object hierarchy is created using system library components and developer classes supporting them. It's not just about making something happen. It may require a ground-up rewrite of the software.

• I have two feature requests.

Request #1
    Can a 'Mute' button be added to the Vol/Pan effect.

My use case:
    Android phone user.
    Mixing and mastering songs.

Some effects have a perceived gain in vol when activated but no output vol setting within the effect to compensate (eg some toneboosters).
    As part of gainstaging I place a vol/pan effect in an adjacent block and adjust it there instead.

This works well.

I often then want to toggle the effect on/off throughout sections of the song (to determine if it sounds better or not).
    At which point the vol jumps and I manually adjust the vol/pan effect to compensate.
    In doing so my ears have to focus on vol matching, not A B ing the effect.

With the feature request I'd be able to more accurately A B settings as I can quickly mute/unmute both the effect being auditioned and the vol/pan.

This request will be very useful to me.

Request #2
    Export WAV as 8bit.

Use case:
    Occassionally need to generate uncompressed files of as low filesize as possible.

This is just a nice to have that I would only use occassionally.

Finally, some feedback.

The recent update to use the project name as the default filename for mixdown is perfect for me.

Combined with being able to select the 'music' and 'download' folders as destinations exporting is really smooth now.

It's funny how details like these can make an app much nicer to use.

• @el_bo said:

@dwrae said:

@el_bo said:

Of course.

Strange! Tweaking effects while preparing a patch is fundamental tot he way I've always worked. Of course, that's always been with a desktop DAW with connected MIDI keyboards. The iPad for me represents an opportunity to get away from all that connected/tethered-ness of my home-studio, so most of the time even if I wanted to connect an external 'board, it's just not practical. Besides, neither of the 2 portable MIDI keyboards I have gets anywhere close to the functionality and expressiveness of KB-1.

To the best of my knowledge, no mobile DAW (unless you consider AUM and Audiobus DAWs, which is a highly debated topic) allows the functionality you’re asking for. You will probably just need to accept it as a limitation of the mobile production world. Tweak one app at a time, or work in a modular world.

• @ChancedMusic said: the best of my knowledge, no mobile DAW (unless you consider AUM and Audiobus DAWs, which is a highly debated topic) allows the functionality you’re asking for. You will probably just need to accept it as a limitation of the mobile production world. Tweak one app at a time, or work in a modular world.

Actually, I can do it in Cubasis ;) Cubasis also allows the screen to be split between KB-1 and a synth GUI (AEM cannot). What CB can't do is have bot KB-1 sharing a screen with effects.

• @uncledave said:I think he means "design" in the software technical sense. How the object hierarchy is created using system library components and developer classes supporting them. It's not just about making something happen. It may require a ground-up rewrite of the software.

Ah, okay. That kinda thing is well outside of my wheelhouse ;)

• @el_bo said:

@ChancedMusic said: the best of my knowledge, no mobile DAW (unless you consider AUM and Audiobus DAWs, which is a highly debated topic) allows the functionality you’re asking for. You will probably just need to accept it as a limitation of the mobile production world. Tweak one app at a time, or work in a modular world.

Actually, I can do it in Cubasis ;) Cubasis also allows the screen to be split between KB-1 and a synth GUI (AEM cannot). What CB can't do is have bot KB-1 sharing a screen with effects.

It can? Interesting. Guess I haven’t used it on iPad much.

• @ChancedMusic said:

@el_bo said:

@ChancedMusic said: the best of my knowledge, no mobile DAW (unless you consider AUM and Audiobus DAWs, which is a highly debated topic) allows the functionality you’re asking for. You will probably just need to accept it as a limitation of the mobile production world. Tweak one app at a time, or work in a modular world.

Yeah! If you have the effects docked at the bottom of the screen, pressing the keyboard icon will shift the FX to the top portion of the screen, and dock the keyboard :)

• edited April 2022

@ChancedMusic said:

@el_bo said:

In Cubasis 3 you can have both effect and keyboard on screen or instrument and effect on screen.

Audio evolution mobile needs a gui update. as a matter of fact, apart from Cubasis 3 and Auria Pro all iOS DAWs need an gui update.

• @el_bo said:

@ChancedMusic said:

@el_bo said:

Yeah! If you have the effects docked at the bottom of the screen, pressing the keyboard icon will shift the FX to the top portion of the screen, and dock the keyboard :)

@Paa89 said:

@ChancedMusic said:

@el_bo said:

In Cubasis 3 you can have both effect and keyboard on screen or instrument and effect on screen.

Audio evolution mobile needs a gui update. as a matter of fact, apart from Cubasis 3 and Auria Pro all iOS DAWs need an gui update.

I thought the ask was to have two AU’s on screen at the same time. Not keyboard and AU.

Not being able to have keyboard and AU on screen at the same time is the reason I refunded AEM.

• edited April 2022

I was just searching to re-download on the AppStore to get it back on an old iPad. I typed in ‘Audio Evolution Mobile’ expecting to have narrowed things down to easily pick it - but nothing there. I had to work out that I was required to add ‘Studio’ for it to appear. Strange that.

Anyway, I noticed that someone had been asking for drag and drop in the reviews, which to my mind would send this app into another level. Is there any such plans @dwrae ?

• @robosardine said:
    I was just searching to re-download on the AppStore to get it back on an old iPad. I typed in ‘Audio Evolution Mobile’ expecting to have narrowed things down to easily pick it - but nothing there. I had to work out that I was required to add ‘Studio’ for it to appear. Strange that.

Anyway, I noticed that someone had been asking for drag and drop in the reviews, which to my mind would send this app into another level. Is there any such plans @dwrae ?

Sure, but it's all a matter of priorities and limited resources.

Next up are changes to the drum pattern editor where you can load your own samples per 'lane' and much more..

• edited April 2022

@dwrae thanks for this. Drum pattern changes will be appreciated

• Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 5.1.1 for iOS released:

• Added the Toneboosters BitJuggler, Dual VCF, Voice Pitcher and Sibalance V4 effects.
    • Added a preference option 'Max 1 armed track' which makes it easier to switch between sounds on different tracks using a MIDI controller.
    • Added a preference option 'Volume slider' to force display of a vertical volume slider on iPhones or horizontal volume on iPads.
    • Added an option 'Arm toggles' to the MIDI remote setup -> Tracks section to arm/unarm tracks regardless of the MIDI CC value.
    • When an instrument track is unarmed in monitoring mode, the sound is not cut off anymore on other tracks.
    • Choosing 'None' for MIDI remote setup did not have effect until restarting the app. Solved.
  • Audio Evolution Mobile Studio v5.1.3 for iOS has been released:

• Added the Toneboosters MBC (multi-band compressor) effect: up to 10 bands with configurable cross-over steepness, two compressor curves per band, upward compression, downward compression, positive and negative saturation, and stereo width processing packed in a flexible and intuitive user interface. Yes, that is up to 20 compression curves to sculpt your tracks, busses and masters to perfection!
    • Updated to the latest Toneboosters code.
    • When trying to load an IAA FX while another one was attempting to be loaded in the background, the app could crash. Solved.
    • Selecting an unlabelled drum pad on a large iPad caused an exception message. Solved.
    • Solved an issue with merging overlapping MIDI clips.
    • When an effect is removed with the grid display turned off, the grid is now automatically turned on again.
    • When un-arming an instrument track during monitoring/playback while another track is armed, a sustain pedal 'off' command is sent.
    • When using count-in recording with a MIDI/instrument track, notes with a timestamp just before the start of the clip are now trimmed to the start such that they are not 'lost'.
    • Added an option 'All input's to the MIDI input dialog.
    • Opening the MIDI input dialog will not un-arm the track anymore. Furthermore, all options inside the dialog can be changed in real-time without having to close the dialog first.
    • When selecting 'New project from template' and the project is empty, no project name is asked initially anymore.

• Thank you @dware for another great update. The addition of all these Tonebooster effects and Synth really help make AEM a complete iOS DAW for creating and finishing tracks.

• @dware I have a couple of questions if I may...
    1. Is there an easy way to fade in/ fade out clips other than automation?
    2. In automation editing mode, can the MASTER track be disabled for editing? I find it too easy to add unwanted events to that track... :)

• @Hypervox said:
    @dware I have a couple of questions if I may...
    2. In automation editing mode, can the MASTER track be disabled for editing? I find it too easy to add unwanted events to that track... :)

1) yes, using the clip volume handles (https://www.audio-evolution.com/manual/android/html/AudioandMIDIClips1.html#AnnotatedSelectedClip)
    2) well, no, but it has already been made in such a way that you first need to tap on a track before you can add events. So if track 1 is active in the automation view and you tap accidentally on the master track, no event will be added: the master track will only be activated. So you would really have to press it twice.

• @dwrae said:

@Hypervox said:
    @dware I have a couple of questions if I may...

1) yes, using the clip volume handles (https://www.audio-evolution.com/manual/android/html/AudioandMIDIClips1.html#AnnotatedSelectedClip)
    2) well, no, but it has already been made in such a way that you first need to tap on a track before you can add events. So if track 1 is active in the automation view and you tap accidentally on the master track, no event will be added: the master track will only be activated. So you would really have to press it twice.

Ah - thanks for that. Hopefully by using the volume clip handles I'll reduce the automation requirements :)

• @dwrae
    Hi, revisiting a past requested feature wish of loop recording, is that still a possibility ?

• @joniqwest said:
    @dwrae
    Hi, revisiting a past requested feature wish of loop recording, is that still a possibility ?

It's still on the wishlist I'm afraid.

• Thanks for the update ! I will keep my fingers crossed. At least it's still on the wishlist !😎

@dwrae said:

@joniqwest said:
    @dwrae

It's still on the wishlist I'm afraid.

• Hello!

I have AEM v5.1.4 for iOS and have a question:

If I import a MIDI file with tempo changes built in (a constructed CLICK Track), shouldn’t the marks on the Timeline line up with the “clicks” on the MIDI track? The first few measures line up, but after the first tempo change (ritard), the “beats” on the MIDI track no longer match the Timeline.

Thank you!