Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to use LK with CuBase3, route midi?

Hey all, trying to figure out how to use LK (midi controller app) within Cubase3 to directly play an instrument on another midi channel. So for example I load LK into midi track 1, and then load the built in Cubase piano into track 2. However, even when I mess around with the midi routing I can't get notes played in LK to trigger sounds on the piano.

LK is sending midi data. I can play and record it in its own channel and then copy that midi output to the piano on track 2 and that works, but Id like to be able to hear it live.

On the left side under routing Ive tried all sorts of settings, and Ive tried grouping the two channels, but I'll admit I don't know what Im doing yet (still learning).

If anyone has done this successfully and could give me some pointers then Id appreciate it.

Cheers and thanks,

RM

Comments

• I didn’t have much luck using the Cubasis 3 internal midi routing.
    But I was able to do it using the Midibus plugin in the Miditools suite.

I put LK as the AU instrument on Midi track 1. I put Midibus as an AU midi plugin on Midi track 1, and put it in Send post mode.

On Midi track 2 I put a piano as the instrument, and put Midibus as an AU midi plugin on Midi track 2, and put it in Receive replace mode.

LK drives the piano, and I can write the incoming midi to Midi Track 2, too.

Miditools cost $5, and is totally worth it to me.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-tools/id1446209019

• That might be the only way then, because LK doesn't (for me) show by itself on the piano tracks routing, but if the midibus does show then that will make it relatively simple. Thanks so much for the heads up.

• edited December 2020

@rivermonster said:
    That might be the only way then, because LK doesn't (for me) show by itself on the piano tracks routing, but if the midibus does show then that will make it relatively simple. Thanks so much for the heads up.

It doesn’t show up in the Cubasis midi routing, but it creates a virtual bus seen by the various instances of the plugin. So you set some plugins as senders on specific midi channels, and set others as receivers on specific midi channels to get midi flowing between Cubasis Midi tracks.

• edited December 2020

As an aside I did find that I can put KB-1 in the midi effects of track 2 (the piano) and it works well. LK isn't in that list, but it's a good workaround for the moment. I will still be snagging midibus to experiment with it.

• CB3 does not like to host a second god (I still wonder what Steinberg were thinking when designing CB3) but you can also try FreEWI running in the background as a MIDI loopback instance.

• @rs2000 said:
    CB3 does not like to host a second god (I still wonder what Steinberg were thinking when designing CB3) but you can also try FreEWI running in the background as a MIDI loopback instance.

That’s a great tip.
    I usually recommend Audiobus 3 to create that background midi port, but I like suggesting free options when possible.