Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IK Multimedia MixBox CS Walkthrough Video (winners announced!)

IK Multimedia MixBox CS Walkthrough Video (3 FREE Copies to Give Away!)

This IK Multimedia rack style processor for desktop/iPad includes no less than 70 separate effects. Here I will look at the iPad version but this is equally applicable to the desktop version. The most useful aspect of MixBox CS is the way you have around 700 FX chain presets - designed by experts - combining separate effects into racks with up to 8 modules per rack. That opens up a world of possibilities. You can of course, load modules individually and also save your own custom effects chains. MixBox may not replace all your various separate FX apps, but the ease of use is really something. This video runs through most of the rack presets on a wide range of different material - synths, piano, drums, bass, percussion etc (no time to focus in detail on individual modules when there are 70 of them lol). It also shows a few useful things like how to control a filter in MixBox CS using an external LFO, how to set up a send buss in AUM and how to set up sidechain! (See timestamps for details).

Timestamps:
00:00 intro, giveaway details, overview
04:30 jazz bass example, will Mixbox replace all your AUv3 fx apps??
08:00 drums presets
10:13 'spaces' presets
14:55 what are the 70 modules included?
16:45 synth presets and how to control with an Lfo the AU parameters in AUM
28:35 how to sidechain
31:18 percussion presets
32:17 guitar presets
34:27 delay presets, setting up a send bus in AUM
37:12 outro and keys presets

If you find this useful, please give it a thumbs up and subscribe and click the bell to be kept notified of new app demos / tutorials and new free app giveaways!

Comments

• Woo! I know what I'm watching during dinner tonight!

• Man, this thing is a beast in terms of how many apps are in it. So here I only have time to go through the rack presets, not individual apps. Still a very good indicator of what it can sound like as well as an overview of the main features, sidechaining (namechecked @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr of course!), send bussing and how to set up lfos in AUM (which ppl keep asking me to demo).

• Excellent review. I was thinking I already had these areas covered with existing apps but the inclusion of so many presets and the ease of auditioning them adds a lot of value.

• awesome! this thing looks so good on ios i need it! great job man

• @PhilW said:
    Excellent review. I was thinking I already had these areas covered with existing apps but the inclusion of so many presets and the ease of auditioning them adds a lot of value.

Cheers Phil, I think it is hard to understate how valuable that is. Unless you are very experienced at mixing and mastering it might be hard to dial in these kind of multi fx chains as well as these guys can. That adds really a lot of value. I think we can learn a lot about sound design, mastering etc from studying some of these presets. From that point of view alone it is worth it.

• Thanks Gavin. Awesome work.

• @reasOne said:
    awesome! this thing looks so good on ios i need it! great job man

@onerez said:
    Thanks Gavin. Awesome work.

Cheers dudes 😋

• @Gavinski said:

@reasOne said:

@onerez said:

Cheers dudes 😋

haha onerez you could be oneReas 😂

• @reasOne said:

@Gavinski said:

@reasOne said:

@onerez said:

Cheers dudes 😋

haha onerez you could be oneReas 😂

😂😂

• Wow this looks nice 😯. Can anybody comment on the CPU load?

• Pretty awesome it just upgraded my skills. Runs smooth without any hiccups. But Clipping noise Come when changing preset or FX module. Hope it fixed sooon

• Well, as has been discussed here a fair bit it is hard to say in any real life setting how it will be. I just opened 1 instance in aum dsp hit 47. With 4 instances it is at 41 😂

• @TheSoundKid said:
    Pretty awesome it just upgraded my skills. Runs smooth without any hiccups. But Clipping noise Come when changing preset or FX module. Hope it fixed sooon

Yes, those clipping noises are pretty horrendous, hope they get fixed.

• @Gavinski said:
    Well, as has been discussed here a fair bit it is hard to say in any real life setting how it will be. I just opened 1 instance in aum dsp hit 47. With 4 instances it is at 41 😂

Mine is at 22 to 26 iPad (6th gen)

• @Gavinski said:

@PhilW said:
    Excellent review. I was thinking I already had these areas covered with existing apps but the inclusion of so many presets and the ease of auditioning them adds a lot of value.

Cheers Phil, I think it is hard to understate how valuable that is. Unless you are very experienced at mixing and mastering it might be hard to dial in these kind of multi fx chains as well as these guys can. That adds really a lot of value. I think we can learn a lot about sound design, mastering etc from studying some of these presets. From that point of view alone it is worth it.

One can learn sound design using presets.. Very interesting esp beginners.. Any tonestack users here ? I eagerly waiting for comparisons 😊

• You should only get any switching noises with heavy rack modules, especially ConvoRoom as it has to load and utilize multiple impulse responses.

• @TheSoundKid said:

@Gavinski said:

@PhilW said:

One can learn sound design using presets.. Very interesting esp beginners.. Any tonestack users here ? I eagerly waiting for comparisons 😊

Exactly, great way to learn. > @TheSoundKid said:

@Gavinski said:
    Well, as has been discussed here a fair bit it is hard to say in any real life setting how it will be. I just opened 1 instance in aum dsp hit 47. With 4 instances it is at 41 😂

Mine is at 22 to 26 iPad (6th gen)

Yeah, this is so weird, another time I open it it might be much less, its very hard to predoc

• Thanks Peter. Looking forward to the drop down menu in convoroom getting fixed, not working at all for me.

@ikmultimedia said:
    You should only get any switching noises with heavy rack modules, especially ConvoRoom as it has to load and utilize multiple impulse responses.

Just spent the last 20 mins making a nice ambient reverb from scratch in this, man, I’m getting into this thing! Very enjoyable and easy workflow!

• Really like the ‘tape snap’ setting in the tape cassette module.

• @Gavinski said:
    Really like the ‘tape snap’ setting in the tape cassette module.

That Tape Cassette module is a real sleeper. I didn't give it much love at first on desktop then I took a look at some of Ryan and other internal folks' presets and was wowed (pun intended).

• Wowed 😂

• I’m sure the sound designers were fluttered too 😆

• C'mon we all need to snap out of it, this thread is now getting saturated with noise :smile:

• edited December 2020

Haha! Damn you Krupa, I wish I had thought of that one.

• Your magnetic personalities have me reel-to-reeling with laughter! Oh, that might have been a stretch...

• @oddSTAR said:
    Your magnetic personalities have me reel-to-reeling with laughter! Oh, that might have been a stretch...

Well that's better than "I want to stick a pencil's eraser end into you and fix your problems" :blush:

• @hansjbs just stick a notch filter on any overly harsh sounding comments 😜

• edited December 2020

This thread went a very good direction.

If we could rewind to the previous point though that would help. Otherwise dolby more puns and that just adds to the overall noise of the forum as people get off track.

• Although it may just go round and round forever...