Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumPerfect Pro midi file structure

Does anyone know how the midi file directory structure works? I have a heap of Groove Monkee files I want to use. I'm hoping it's not 1 folder full of midi files But it certainly looks that way.

Comments

• @Ailerom said:
    Does anyone know how the midi file directory structure works? I have a heap of Groove Monkee files I want to use. I'm hoping it's not 1 folder full of midi files But it certainly looks that way.

Not exactly sure what you mean. I don’t know what the midi files structure is in DPP. I usually import one Midi file at a time because you can only play one file at a time and I can keep better track of things. There are different types of midi files so it’s best to see what happens. Midi files end up in a list so you’ll deal with file names. Some drum files have more than one drum pattern in them strung one pattern after another separated with an empty measure so when you import a file like that, the patterns at the bottom of the Song page are populated with different drum patterns with some pattern slots being empty due to the empty measures. I’m not a DPP expert but if I understand your question better maybe I can offer more. Midi files can be weird so it’s best to dig in and just see what happens. As I recall Groove Monkee files are better than most, I usually use the General Midi files as they offer different formats for the desktop drum plugins to use. Hope that helps!!

• @yowza said:

@Ailerom said:

Not exactly sure what you mean. I don’t know what the midi files structure is in DPP. I usually import one Midi file at a time because you can only play one file at a time and I can keep better track of things. There are different types of midi files so it’s best to see what happens. Midi files end up in a list so you’ll deal with file names. Some drum files have more than one drum pattern in them strung one pattern after another separated with an empty measure so when you import a file like that, the patterns at the bottom of the Song page are populated with different drum patterns with some pattern slots being empty due to the empty measures. I’m not a DPP expert but if I understand your question better maybe I can offer more. Midi files can be weird so it’s best to dig in and just see what happens. As I recall Groove Monkee files are better than most, I usually use the General Midi files as they offer different formats for the desktop drum plugins to use. Hope that helps!!

Thank you. Sounds like as I feared. The Groove Monkee files are within folder, within folder within folders. It allows them to be categorised better. It looks like a simple folder structure (if it can be called that) in DPP. Looks like one folder (or category) which contains a bunch of patterns (midi files). I was hoping there was an easy way to import a collection of midi so I can audition them. Such as placing the Groove Monkee folder somewhere but sounds like that won't work. And if it is one file/pattern at a time that will be a tedious nightmare.

• @Ailerom said:

@yowza said:

@Ailerom said:

Thank you. Sounds like as I feared. The Groove Monkee files are within folder, within folder within folders. It allows them to be categorised better. It looks like a simple folder structure (if it can be called that) in DPP. Looks like one folder (or category) which contains a bunch of patterns (midi files). I was hoping there was an easy way to import a collection of midi so I can audition them. Such as placing the Groove Monkee folder somewhere but sounds like that won't work. And if it is one file/pattern at a time that will be a tedious nightmare.

I'd hoped that DrumPerfect would be perfect for doing just what you suggest. Ended up being too clunky for me.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Ailerom said:

@yowza said:

@Ailerom said:

I'd hoped that DrumPerfect would be perfect for doing just what you suggest. Ended up being too clunky for me.

Well that's disappointing to hear. I'll report back when I've finished auditioning and importing midi files. There are only about 10,000 so I should be back in 2023.

• @Ailerom said:

@yowza said:

@Ailerom said:

I now see better what you were asking. Yes there is a simple list of midi files but I will try later to import a zip folder of midi drums later and see if it will import at all and honor the folder structure. Midi file management and audition is certainly an area where DPP could be expanded so maybe @Marinus could reply whether that’s in the cards.

I look at DPP as the place to go when I want to geek out over rhythm and drum articulation and sound and use it as the final destination for my midi files not the place to start out auditioning them. The Lumbeat apps provide great Midi fodder for DPP.

• So cool of you. Thanks, I am keen to read your findings. Maybe it is possible to create a track, export as midi and import into DPP. I wonder how it would handle a full song length midi file?

• @yowza said:

@Ailerom said:

@yowza said:

@Ailerom said:

I now see better what you were asking. Yes there is a simple list of midi files but I will try later to import a zip folder of midi drums later and see if it will import at all and honor the folder structure. Midi file management and audition is certainly an area where DPP could be expanded so maybe @Marinus could reply whether that’s in the cards.

Indeed, file management is limited in that respect. No current plans to expand folder support.

I look at DPP as the place to go when I want to geek out over rhythm and drum articulation and sound and use it as the final destination for my midi files not the place to start out auditioning them.

Exactly how it was intended ;-)

The Lumbeat apps provide great Midi fodder for DPP.

Agree with that!

• @Ailerom said:
    So cool of you. Thanks, I am keen to read your findings. Maybe it is possible to create a track, export as midi and import into DPP. I wonder how it would handle a full song length midi file?

A full midi song will be divided into multiple patterns (maximum 32 beats per pattern, total of 64 patterns). Usually enough to load a whole song, truncated otherwise. As some of the imported patterns can be equal, the “Pack” function can be used to remove redundant patterns.

• @Marinus said:

@Ailerom said:
    So cool of you. Thanks, I am keen to read your findings. Maybe it is possible to create a track, export as midi and import into DPP. I wonder how it would handle a full song length midi file?

A full midi song will be divided into multiple patterns (maximum 32 beats per pattern, total of 64 patterns). Usually enough to load a whole song, truncated otherwise. As some of the imported patterns can be equal, the “Pack” function can be used to remove redundant patterns.

Good to know. So would it be truncated at the end of a bar or some random position. E.g. with an odd timing?

• @Ailerom said:

@Marinus said:

@Ailerom said:

Good to know. So would it be truncated at the end of a bar or some random position. E.g. with an odd timing?

If the midi song is too long to fit in the 64-pattern bank, the last part of the midi song is not read. The pattern bars are configured and filled according to the midi file’s time signatures, such that the song will sound exactly as the original midi file including tempo changes.