Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Shoom

Thinking of going whole hog with my ios setup. Got midi controllers galore.

Shoom though. Hyper expressive although maybe not a pro sound compared to some synths.

If I bought an ipad mini 4. Would size be ok for oscilator tweaking.

Also. Thinking of selling u44 to buy iconnect 4+ ( just for shoom ) If I dont and keep u44. What would sound quality be like to a zoom capsule of 2 inputs and what would link across wifi ( instead of cable be like ) for any lfos, oscilators ( sure you tweak ) but what is initial sync like across wifi compared to wired?

Kind of expensive just for an app so ipad purchse only would be ideal.

Comments

• Could this work.

At the mo. Volca drum is in zoom u44 capsule. Volca modular ( waiting for mono cable ) Input 2. Mic. Input 1. Midi out to volca drum. Midi in faderfox pc 12. Ipad air 3.

Buy a Native instrument komplete audio 6.

Use this for ipad air 3. Add volca modular ( mono ) Mic ( mono ) . Turntable and mixer output to in3 and in4. Faderfox midi in.

Balanced output to zoom u44, 1 and 2 input. ( note. Zoom is unbalanced output and capsule input 3 and 4 has high gain on lowest settings ) this is why I think Id use NI a6 mk2.

Zoom u44 has volca drum with midi out ( audio in via capsule )

Ipad air 2 recieves the channel audio from ipad air 3. Ipad air 2 records in aum, along with a shoom ( multi track ) and volca drum track ( effects ), plus master bus effects.

Theres iconnect 4+ on ebay for about same price as a Native instrument and Id sell zoom but it looks hassle if Id need to use the app ( unless you can configure then not need it? ) Plus theres no input for turntable but isnt essential but would be cool if always connected.

Would need to see if shoom is that important.

• Also. wim said abelton link start and stop will start another device, not just follow tempo?

I need this to be true.

• @sigma79 : I have Shoom and an Iconnect 4+, and Volcas and other hardware too. Shoom is great, nothing else like it on the iPad as far as I know, but it’s not AUV3 if that matters to you. Works no problem in AUM though.

The iconnect4+ companion app iconfig is,I guess, necessarily complex as the interface is so capable, and I must confess it has taken me, as a bear of little brain, a long time to get it set up the way I want, and there’s still more I would like to sort out with it, chiefly now on the MIDI side as I have now got the audio the way I want.

The good news is that once you do have everything set up the way you want, the set up is downloaded to the hardware and you never have to touch it again if you don’t want to, the hardware can run your settings totally standalone.

There is currently nothing else out there that can mix in real time IPads, DAWs and hardware audio and midi (it has 4 inputs for hardware, and can host a maximum 8 MIDI USB ports via a powered hub plugged into it plus a standard 5 pin DIN MIDI in ) like the Iconnect, so if that matters to you, it is the only game in town. It is also now no longer in their current lineup, so be aware if you buy it you are getting an obsolete and complex piece of kit.

I thought I absolutely needed it for my workflow, but between IDAM and just exporting stems direct from AUM or from a Multitrack DAW recording of my AUM mix into Ableton, to capture reverb tails, along with .als files direct from Blocs Wave and other Ableton Live Set supporting apps I haven’t needed it’s’ unique capabilities as much as I thought I would.

Once Atom 2 is released so I can easily transfer whole midi mixes from AUM alongside the audio stems direct to Ableton, just via AudioShare/Files, the argument for the Iconnect for myself (as a non-real time person) pretty much entirely disappears. It still has a unique use case if you work by jamming live on real instruments and hardware simultaneous with iPad apps, otherwise, not so much. I will probably be thinking of selling mine down the line.

My advice, fwiw, would be get Shoom if you haven’t already. Decide how important it is to you. Then decide. But I’m pretty sure I’d never be buying expensive hardware just to run any one single app, especially one so niche and IAA only.

• @sigma79 said:
    Could this work.

At the mo. Volca drum is in zoom u44 capsule. Volca modular ( waiting for mono cable ) Input 2. Mic. Input 1. Midi out to volca drum. Midi in faderfox pc 12. Ipad air 3.

Buy a Native instrument komplete audio 6.

Use this for ipad air 3. Add volca modular ( mono ) Mic ( mono ) . Turntable and mixer output to in3 and in4. Faderfox midi in.

Balanced output to zoom u44, 1 and 2 input. ( note. Zoom is unbalanced output and capsule input 3 and 4 has high gain on lowest settings ) this is why I think Id use NI a6 mk2.

Zoom u44 has volca drum with midi out ( audio in via capsule )

Ipad air 2 recieves the channel audio from ipad air 3. Ipad air 2 records in aum, along with a shoom ( multi track ) and volca drum track ( effects ), plus master bus effects.

Theres iconnect 4+ on ebay for about same price as a Native instrument and Id sell zoom but it looks hassle if Id need to use the app ( unless you can configure then not need it? ) Plus theres no input for turntable but isnt essential but would be cool if always connected.

Would need to see if shoom is that important.

Interestingly enough I have a replacement Zoom U-44 on route from Germany as I type.
    The preamp blew so they're replacing it under guarantee which is cool.
    I bought a KA 6 mkii in the interim which is really good for the price.
    I'm using a Behringer Q802usb for the other iPad.
    Which I will replace with my old Soundcraft folio notepad to add colour.

So when the Zoom U-44 arrives I can test the configuration for you.

I'm using a Behringer Q802usb until the Zoom U-44 arrives.
    The combination sounds good, and the quality will increase once the Zoom arrives.
    Especially as output 1+2 from the Zoom is balanced.
    Additionally the Zoom has SPDIF out and as the KA6 mkii has a SPDIF in
    then quality is assured.

@sigma79 said:
    Also. wim said abelton link start and stop will start another device, not just follow tempo?

I need this to be true.

This is true.
    Tried tested, everyday for the last two months.
    No problem at all.

What you could do is have one iPad with the Zoom U-44, the other with the KA mkii
    and have a summing mixer for your external sound sources.

I'll see if I can work out a wiring setup for you from your list a little bit later on today.

• Cheers lads.

If Shoom is important. Might buy the iconnect 4 but would need to sell zoom and then find a deal on iconnect but can the KA mk2 not output ( balanced ) to zoom u44 (balanced) input 1 and 2. The ipad air 3 would be on ka mk2. Air 3 would be almost all synths etc but with mic mono, volca modular mono and turntable/mixer output to (in3 and in4 ) midi din from faderfox midi controller to midi in. As KA mk2 is plugged into zoom. It would show up as an aum channel on ipad air 2 that would be bussed to master channel. This ipad air 2 with zoom u44, would have shoom plus effects. A volca drum input to 3 and 4 of capsule. Midi din out to volca drum ( which also gets clock from link to midi app. ) Effects on channel. Master effects and record all from ipad air 2 Everything from ipad air 3 and ipad air 2.

What are the cons of plugging session of ipad air 3 into air 2 and using that as main recorder. Noise? Stems that could be airdropped? Latency of effects from adding a KAmk2 and recording on 2nd ipad? Which if there was. The stems effects might sound off if reconstructed in a DAW?

What is SPDIF for? Can this not be an input for ipad air 2? and would it show in Aum ( maybe its a standalone feature ) when zoom isnt used as a usb interface.

• Its not so bad. As shoom could just be loop fodder ( certain sounds ) for a loop session I set up with drambos and then use some effects so they dont sound like loops and there wernt loads of apps for looping anyway ( apart from every app, including auv3s, which include mpe ) and kb-1 keyboard.

• @sigma79 said:
    Cheers lads.

If Shoom is important. Might buy the iconnect 4 but would need to sell zoom and then find a deal on iconnect but can the KA mk2 not output ( balanced ) to zoom u44 (balanced) input 1 and 2. The ipad air 3 would be on ka mk2. Air 3 would be almost all synths etc but with mic mono, volca modular mono and turntable/mixer output to (in3 and in4 ) midi din from faderfox midi controller to midi in. As KA mk2 is plugged into zoom. It would show up as an aum channel on ipad air 2 that would be bussed to master channel. This ipad air 2 with zoom u44, would have shoom plus effects. A volca drum input to 3 and 4 of capsule. Midi din out to volca drum ( which also gets clock from link to midi app. ) Effects on channel. Master effects and record all from ipad air 2 Everything from ipad air 3 and ipad air 2.

What are the cons of plugging session of ipad air 3 into air 2 and using that as main recorder. Noise? Stems that could be airdropped? Latency of effects from adding a KAmk2 and recording on 2nd ipad? Which if there was. The stems effects might sound off if reconstructed in a DAW?

What is SPDIF for? Can this not be an input for ipad air 2? and would it show in Aum ( maybe its a standalone feature ) when zoom isnt used as a usb interface.

SPDIF is a stereo digital audio format.
    It only needs one cable out and one cable in.
    Either optical or coax 75ohms.

No loss in quality.

So if you're running the KA mkii into the Zoom U-44
    by using SPDIF you will have a precise sample accurate
    audio channel leaving the analog inputs on the Zoom
    free to plug in something else or the other way around.

I would recommend that you connect the
    Zoom through to the KA 6 mkii.

The iPads I have are 9.7" iPad Pro 1st gen and iPad Air 3.

The iPad Pro is the sound source and the iPad Air 3
    is a sound source, mixer and recorder.

The iPad Pro goes into the KA 6 mkii.

By the way I got my KA mkii 2nd hand for £110.
    You do need a usb hub to provide power and it doesn't have a control panel.

Maybe for simplicity's sake get the iConnect 4.

• @Gravitas said:

@sigma79 said:
    Cheers lads.

SPDIF is a stereo digital audio format.
    It only needs one cable out and one cable in.
    Either optical or coax 75ohms.

No loss in quality.

So if you're running the KA mkii into the Zoom U-44
    by using SPDIF you will have a precise sample accurate
    audio channel leaving the analog inputs on the Zoom
    free to plug in something else or the other way around.

I would recommend that you connect the
    Zoom through to the KA 6 mkii.

The iPads I have are 9.7" iPad Pro 1st gen and iPad Air 3.

The iPad Pro is the sound source and the iPad Air 3
    is a sound source, mixer and recorder.

The iPad Pro goes into the KA 6 mkii.

By the way I got my KA mkii 2nd hand for £110.
    You do need a usb hub to provide power and it doesn't have a control panel.

Maybe for simplicity's sake get the iConnect 4.

I could just buy another zoom then if they can send through SPDIF ( hopefully while they are in usb mode ? ) This way I can connect dj mixer to input 1 and 2?

Or just buy an Iconnect 4+

Or loop shoom and or use Audiobus sidebar.

• Since MIDI over wi-if was mentioned by OP, I want to mention that wi-fi is somewhat unreliable/unpredictable for anything where timing is critical...due to the nature of wi-fi internet protocols. It can seem to work great with consistent latency one minute and then have much higher latency and lost packets the next. A wired network is much more reliable. For some operations, the inconsistency is tolerable, but for sync, it is glitchy. Possibly a tiny ad-hoc network that is only local might be better but I haven’t tested that. BlueTooth would probably be much better than wi-fi but I have not tested that.

• Zoom u44 was £99. Now its about £170. Lockdown prices or not?

With a mixer that isnt amped. What is best output and best input. Headphone out vs master out and zoom 1and 2 input vs KAmk2 (in3 and in4 )

Cheers for replies.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Since MIDI over wi-if was mentioned by OP, I want to mention that wi-fi is somewhat unreliable/unpredictable for anything where timing is critical...due to the nature of wi-fi internet protocols. It can seem to work great with consistent latency one minute and then have much higher latency and lost packets the next. A wired network is much more reliable. For some operations, the inconsistency is tolerable, but for sync, it is glitchy. Possibly a tiny ad-hoc network that is only local might be better but I haven’t tested that. BlueTooth would probably be much better than wi-fi but I have not tested that.

Dose seem like hassle just for shoom but was just going use for a sound here or there maybe but if lfos etc are unpredicatable then wont bother.

Thanks for reply espiegel.

• edited December 2020

My tip. Which might be laughable as im an ios hustler. When recording iaa loops. I cant see where I am in loop in comparison to Drambo circle. So was going to buy a cheap iphone. Magnify the drambo circle with ipads zoom, so I know when a loop begins and ends ( mainly long loop ) Perfect iaa loops, if link via midi follows well or even quantizes somewhere in loop.

• Sometimes on 16 bars ( although I havnt practiced much ) would sometimes quit the iaa with only recording half or so of 16 bars. So a cheap iphone £50 ( need a phone anyway ) Drambo position in middle of iphone aum. Use magnifier to make circle big. Start stop and sync will have a big green circle on iphone. Im either dumb or a genius maybe?

• Might still add shoom though. All this control without switching and scrolling ( mainly with 4 midi controllers ) plus looping timeline. Mic. Volca drum would sort of be a skiiid also.

• This is why I was going mad over shoom and might pay £300 for an app. Depending on more experimentation.

• @sigma79 said:
    Zoom u44 was £99. Now its about £170. Lockdown prices or not?

With a mixer that isnt amped. What is best output and best input. Headphone out vs master out and zoom 1and 2 input vs KAmk2 (in3 and in4 )

Cheers for replies.

Yup, due to Brexit and Zoom relocating their
    headquarters to Germany, their prices doubled.

That's why I mentioned the KA 6 mkii second hand is £110.
    You can get them from CEX online.

The KA 6 mkii can record up to 192kHz, the Zoom U-44 is 96kHz.

I haven't done a direct comparison between the
    noise levels and quality of both the Zoom and KA mkii 6
    yet because I'm waiting for my replacement to arrive.

I can say for certain that both audio interfaces exhibit good ad/da's.

The advantage of the KA mk II is that you don't need to buy any accessories
    and straight out of the box it has 4 analogue ins and outs and is good to go.
    The Zoom only has two balanced outputs and the KA 6 mkii
    has balanced outputs through out.

Bear in mind if you do get another Zoom or go for the KA mkii
    you will not need to do wifi over midi, you can simply
    connect them directly using midi cables.

If you need a very simple sub mixer there
    is also the mickXer which is a passive mixer.

Best is always Master out not headphones out from any mixer.

Link here

https://myvolts.co.uk/product/48808/myVolts_mickXer_-

• Cool. CEX £110.

So I can SPDIF audio from aum to aum?

All synths apart from shoom would be on air 3 and faderfox would be midi in, plus bluetooth controllers and keep, volca modular ( back to stereo ) via capsule plus mic in zoom u44. Leaves a spare input.

Midi out is spare to midi in of KAmk2. Midi out to volca drum. Volca drum input 1 and 2.

Deck and mixer output to ( in 3 and in 4 ) KAmk2.

Record via ipad air 2 at better rate with KAmk2, the ipad air 3 ( single audio in ) plus the volca drum, plus turntable.

In a daw if ever used, just send a couple stems maybe to air 3?

Sounds cool mate?

• The SPDIF mode is a switch away from usb mode on zoom u44?

• edited December 2020

@sigma79 said:
    Cool. CEX £110.

Yup, the last I looked.

So I can SPDIF audio from aum to aum?

Definitely.

The best quality would be to use a specific 75ohm cable.
    A good quality phono to phono cable can also work.
    You know...

All synths apart from shoom would be on air 3 and faderfox would be midi in, plus bluetooth controllers and keep, volca modular ( back to stereo ) via capsule plus mic in zoom u44. Leaves a spare input.

That can work.

Midi out is spare to midi in of KAmk2. Midi out to volca drum. Volca drum input 1 and 2.

Deck and mixer output to ( in 3 and in 4 ) KAmk2.

Record via ipad air 2 at better rate with KAmk2, the ipad air 3 ( single audio in ) plus the volca drum, plus turntable.

In a daw if ever used, just send a couple stems maybe to air 3?

Sounds cool mate?

Yup, all of that sounds cool.

I would've had the KA mkii on the Air 3 but whatever works for you is good.

The best thing is set it up and if there's any problems give us a shout.

Get a usb hub for the KA mkii for sure.

• Does the SPDIF work in usb mode on zoom u44 because theres a switch that goes from usb mode to SPDIF?

What will usb hub be for? Usb midi controllers?

If the SPDIF works then ipad air 2 would be on KA and Id gain balanced master out ( but just use headphones anyway ) If it dosent because of switch comment. Then theres still enough inputs but KA might have to balanced output to zoom 1 and 2 input?

Seems like it can work though ( now with a midi cable link also )

Thanks Gravitas.

• Whats bad though is I bought an innofader pnp2 ( actually got it for free ) as I had to do an A-team fix on mixer, when Pnp2 is meant to be plug and play, plus it sounds like morse code. tsst tsst on open and close. So might have to just use the innofader ( an alpha fader mod by innofader creator ) that came with mixer. It isnt so bad. Just not a pnp2. I did ask if I should by the pro 2 or pnp2. He said pnp and on conclusion, problem maybe something to do with vca's of mixer. So not sure if pro2 would have been better if the pnp2 was made for digital mixers ( if that makes any sense ) Id see if adding a fade on pnp2 curve fixes the noise and if still better than fake innofader.

• A mint technics 1210 mk2 sale on ebay would pay for shoom. Not many people would sell a mint deck for shoom but I dont need it. Id keep the deck which is missing the plastic clip to hold tonearm ( when my ex threw a speaker at the deck ) but I did buy the part but returned as wasnt sure about soldering. Whether to remove the the liquid metal or just add liquid metal to the original joint. lol.

• @sigma79 said:
    Does the SPDIF work in usb mode on zoom u44 because theres a switch that goes from usb mode to SPDIF?

If I remember correctly it should work either way
    for power but I would err to the position saying battery ,"dc in".
    I found it much more stable that way.

The switch position for SPDIF should be where it says ,"audio interface".
    The middle one is standalone and the last one is for when it's the digital clock out.
    Keep it at ,"audio interface".
    It will automatically lock onto the digital clock input from the KA 6 mkii.

The next switch along is for type of SPDIF.
    If you're using a phono cable it should be set to coax
    and if you're using optical cables then switch to optical.

Extra power for the KA mkii especially for phantom power.
    It will also work with the standard cck but once again
    I've found using usb hubs stabilise iPads for recording.
    I'm also using usb to midi cables to connect up other stuff.
    You can connect up midi controllers as well.

My usb hub for the iPad Air 3 has a
    usb to midi cable
    Korg nanokontrol mki
    KA mkii and also charges my iPhone.

Occasionally I'll connect up a hard drive for external data transfers.

By the way the iPad Air 3 doesn't like having the iPhone and
    the KA mkii connected at the same time since iOS 14.2 via usb hub
    and will sometimes reset the KA mkii sample rate.

If the SPDIF works then ipad air 2 would be on KA and Id gain balanced master out ( but just use headphones anyway ) If it dosent because of switch comment. Then theres still enough inputs but KA might have to balanced output to zoom 1 and 2 input?

You can run normal jack to jacks, balanced cables are better but
    I've found that it doesn't always guarantee that the inputs will sound any quieter.

Nope, simply run a coax cable from the KA 6 mkii to the Zoom U-44.
    Then you still have four analogue ins/outs on the KA mkii and
    the Zoom has it's two in built analogue ins and four analogue outs.
    SPDIF will work for sure.

Thanks Gravitas.

No worries.

• @sigma79 said:
    A mint technics 1210 mk2 sale on ebay would pay for shoom. Not many people would sell a mint deck for shoom but I dont need it. Id keep the deck which is missing the plastic clip to hold tonearm ( when my ex threw a speaker at the deck ) but I did buy the part but returned as wasnt sure about soldering. Whether to remove the the liquid metal or just add liquid metal to the original joint. lol.

I hear ya on the technics.

Even if you sell the technics and get the rest of the gear
    you're still upping the quality when using two iPads.

You can use any combination of synth and AUM/Host after that
    though the interface of Shook requires a full screen.
    It's a lovely synth I can see why you're doing what you're doing.

My iPad Pro is going to be a dedicated drum machine
    sampling power house with four individual outs using the Zoom U-44
    and the iPad Air 3 is for everything else to make sure it all runs smoothly.

• @Gravitas said:

@sigma79 said:
    Does the SPDIF work in usb mode on zoom u44 because theres a switch that goes from usb mode to SPDIF?

If I remember correctly it should work either way
    for power but I would err to the position saying battery ,"dc in".
    I found it much more stable that way.

The switch position for SPDIF should be where it says ,"audio interface".
    The middle one is standalone and the last one is for when it's the digital clock out.
    Keep it at ,"audio interface".
    It will automatically lock onto the digital clock input from the KA 6 mkii.

The next switch along is for type of SPDIF.
    If you're using a phono cable it should be set to coax
    and if you're using optical cables then switch to optical.

Extra power for the KA mkii especially for phantom power.
    It will also work with the standard cck but once again
    I've found using usb hubs stabilise iPads for recording.
    I'm also using usb to midi cables to connect up other stuff.
    You can connect up midi controllers as well.

My usb hub for the iPad Air 3 has a
    usb to midi cable
    Korg nanokontrol mki
    KA mkii and also charges my iPhone.

Occasionally I'll connect up a hard drive for external data transfers.

By the way the iPad Air 3 doesn't like having the iPhone and
    the KA mkii connected at the same time since iOS 14.2 via usb hub
    and will sometimes reset the KA mkii sample rate.

You can run normal jack to jacks, balanced cables are better but
    I've found that it doesn't always guarantee that the inputs will sound any quieter.

Nope, simply run a coax cable from the KA 6 mkii to the Zoom U-44.
    Then you still have four analogue ins/outs on the KA mkii and
    the Zoom has it's two in built analogue ins and four analogue outs.
    SPDIF will work for sure.

Thanks Gravitas.

No worries.

Thanks Gravitas. I will buy ipad first as CEX is out of stock.

The coax will work in usb mode and not switched to SPDIF ( aum to aum? )

You got a cool setup.

Id buy you an app but prob wont ( fwend lol ) the inbetweeners ( Uk )

Thanks though.

• @sigma79 said:

Patience.

The switch must be set to SPDIF and will be there in AUM to AUM

You got a cool setup.

Yeah it is.
    Super stable.

Lololololol.
    No need.
    I'm cool.
    Thanks for the offer.

Thanks though.

You're welcome.

• @Gravitas said:

@sigma79 said:

Patience.

The switch must be set to SPDIF and will be there in AUM to AUM

You got a cool setup.

Yeah it is.
    Super stable.

Lololololol.
    No need.
    I'm cool.
    Thanks for the offer.

Thanks though.

You're welcome.

Cool Grav. SPDIF works with aum. Thought it didnt but sometimes even usb mode dosent switch to zoom u44 unless I switch zoom on whilst in aum. Then i switched to SPDIF. Will try shoom more and see if I buy its own ipad.

Thanks.

• That's why I mentioned the power switch position.
    It does take an extra cable but the Zoom is much smoother.

Once again, no problem.

Enjoy.

• Hi mate. It should work with another zoom u44?

• Bought the zoom ( hastily )

No speakers just headphones ( check )

SPDIF ( check )

Just mixer out to zoom 1 and 2 ( check ) of new zoom. Old zoom has 4 inputs.

Keep everything the same on u44 including mono cable for volca modular ( check )

Will cancel if it isnt best idea.

£105. Which were original price.