Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Calling developers: anyone else notice some fundamental Core MIDI changes in iOS 14?

13»

Comments

• @McD said:

@SevenSystems said:

I think a lot of this has to do with lawyers, the legal system, the industry of litigation etc.

Then lawyers need to be banned, the legal system needs to change, and the industry of litigation has to be demolished ;)

I see... your reaction against the profession of legal practice is conditional on a premise.
    I've already figured out you're a no government type so this is a consistent message.

"No Government Type"... well, I think it's somewhat accurate. I do think that governments should keep their interference to stuff that people just can't mind between themselves, yes. That requires sane people of course, which might be a bit of utopian thinking. But it's a complicated matter.

Will there be a Xequence 3 anytime soon? Just kidding. I respect your work and will pay for more MIDI focused tools.
    I think I own the whole catalog.

Thanks... I'd love to be able to work full-time on Xequence and MIDI stuff again and aiming to establish the required circumstances ASAP :/

• @NeonSilicon said:

@moodscaper said:
    I remember when MIDI came out. I'm older than all of the above :smile:

I remember marvelling at its simplicity, and efficiency in terms of data structure usage, message byte, data 1, data 2, blah blah. Then Apple came along and made it hard. Twice.

AUv3?

Thrice? :smile:

I think I'm even older. I remember when MIDI only ran on vacuum tubes. (Yes, I did just make that up. Though, I am pretty old.)

Apple gave us RTP-MIDI. That's got to count for something. I actually prefer working on AUv3 over the old AU spec, but again, I'd really like some decent docs for it. It's still better than the old days of totally spec-less VST.

Meh. Back in my day, we had to shovel coal into the back of our MIDI sequencers to get them to run.

• @GeneDeLisaDev said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@moodscaper said:
    I remember when MIDI came out. I'm older than all of the above :smile:

I remember marvelling at its simplicity, and efficiency in terms of data structure usage, message byte, data 1, data 2, blah blah. Then Apple came along and made it hard. Twice.

AUv3?

Thrice? :smile:

I think I'm even older. I remember when MIDI only ran on vacuum tubes. (Yes, I did just make that up. Though, I am pretty old.)

Apple gave us RTP-MIDI. That's got to count for something. I actually prefer working on AUv3 over the old AU spec, but again, I'd really like some decent docs for it. It's still better than the old days of totally spec-less VST.

Meh. Back in my day, we had to shovel coal into the back of our MIDI sequencers to get them to run.

Coal powered vacuum tube MIDI had better harmonics.

• I just wanted to know if there was any further word in using CoreMIDI on MacOS and iOS. When using CoreMIDI on iOS, are the people using Swift or C. I suspect that Swift runs CoreMIDI on a layer of code that is in C, and Swift adds a whole layer of obfuscation that can't be understood without further documentation. By the way, when looking at CoreMIDI in C, look at the notes in the header files. There is a lot of information there that wasn't copied to the online documentation.

When dealing with the MIDIReceiveBlock receiving MIDIEventList structures by reference from the client, I am confused as to when access to the information becomes unavailable. Does the MIDIEventList whose location is given by the client become unavailable when the MIDIReceiveBlock exits or is it even available until that point? Is there a good place to record our observations?

By the way, I assumed that the coal was for sacrifices to the fickle gods of computer technology. Does anybody remember the tales of the anxiety sensor. When you up against an impossible deadline and panicking, the anxiety sensor would detect this and crash the software.

By the way, I used to write computer documentation as part of my job, and I cry when I see the quality of documentation today.

• Hi All,

Interesting discussion which I hope sheds some light on a recent problem I’ve had. I’ve been writing an app which saves to a midi file but, since latest OS update, the format of the midi file has been screwed (I’ve used both AudioKit and MIKMIDI, hoping the latter would resolve the issue).

Has anyone else come across this? Thanks in advance.

• why can all developers get together to actually make an iPhone and ipad sizes type devices with more in and out for connectivities and with a software main system made by music apps developers and for music apps developers and maybe with the options for a browser for downloading and uploading purposes and for social media like youtube for uploading music or ect, but the main point or purpose and focus of the devices would be for daws and instruments and fx plugins, and making music, so developers don’t have to go through this ios new version every year problems, and all the apps made for music making can always work perfectly no matter how old they are, a system where the user can buy apps for it and actually collect apps that will always work on it, because the software main system can always be the same for the apps made for it, like almost like having a old play station for example, that you can always go back to it and keep playing the same games without a problem because the system it still the same except that music software and plugins can aways be make for the system, no matter if the system is old or new, if that makes sense !!

• @SadOldGoth said:
    Hi All,

Interesting discussion which I hope sheds some light on a recent problem I’ve had. I’ve been writing an app which saves to a midi file but, since latest OS update, the format of the midi file has been screwed (I’ve used both AudioKit and MIKMIDI, hoping the latter would resolve the issue).

Has anyone else come across this? Thanks in advance.

Yes @SadOldGoth, one of the users of my app using iOS 16.0.2 reported an issue with MIDI files generated by my app. I looked at the MIDI file and it had a Sysex MIDI message, which I never added. This Sysex message isn't recognized by 3rd party apps (it is by GarageBand, although not completely correct) and so these apps can't import the file. I was using the MusicSequenceFileCreate function to create the MIDI file. I contacted Apple and they said they believed it was a bug. I reported the bug to them. Interestingly enough one of the Beta testers of my app has confirmed that the issue isn't there in iOS16.1, so they probably fixed it.

• @SadOldGoth said:

(I’ve used both AudioKit and MIKMIDI, hoping the latter would resolve the issue).

Two mistakes right there: using third party libraries 😂