Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Latency Comparison

I recently tested the real world audio latency of some audio interfaces with a couple of versions of iOS and found something interesting.

Iodock 48khz 64samples
iOS9 (iphone 4s) 7.5ms
iOS10 (ipad 4) 8.5ms
iOS12 (iphone 5s) 9.5ms
iOS13/14 (iphone 8+) 9.5ms

I tried this with my focusrite and peavey HD link and found the results to be similar. iOS9 reported 3-4ms quicker compared to iOS12-14.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Everything gets worse

• They need to check if I'm damaging my hearing so that code probably introduces some latency too. All in the name of 'ealth 'n Sifety 😉

• edited December 2020

Interesting, never tested the latency ,only audio performance but since apps update too can't say it's accurate (iOS 9,10 best ,11 the worst ,12 ok, 13 worse , 14 not yet on Air2)
    @tominkabe it might worth trying enabling 'measuring mode' if your host supports it , although I think it affects only the built in mic and speakers

• @tominkabe said:
    I recently tested the real world audio latency of some audio interfaces with a couple of versions of iOS and found something interesting.

Iodock 48khz 64samples
    iOS9 (iphone 4s) 7.5ms
    iOS10 (ipad 4) 8.5ms
    iOS12 (iphone 5s) 9.5ms
    iOS13/14 (iphone 8+) 9.5ms

I tried this with my focusrite and peavey HD link and found the results to be similar. iOS9 reported 3-4ms quicker compared to iOS12-14.

Anyone else experiencing this?

In remember iOS 5 iPad 1had a latency of 5.0 ms. What I understood at the time is that this was also a thing of hardware. So it's not only a iOS thing but also a iOS device thing.

Important to know is that a you start notice audio lag from 10.0 ms. So Apple is just under that threshold. Curious how the newer iPhones and iPads perform.

• I got the iPad 5. Curious how many MS I can save using the headphone jack instead of an audio interface. I started being dissapointed with msuing my midi keyboard, but it has allways been through a soumdcard. Maybe if I hit it directly to the cameraconnection and use headphone hack I will be more pleased? I’ll report back

• edited December 2021

Maybe we can like sponsor an music App developer delegation to visit apple about our concerns with latency thing, music development/ headphone jack thing, and we can make a blog? @Michael ,@loopop and @jakoB_haQ , crowdfunded visit?

• IDK if it is a surprise but I swear using the moog apps I get less latency between pressing my Keystep and hearing the audio if I plug the controller straight to the connection kit+headphones, instead of through my soundcard. 48000khz 64samplerate. Neo Soul Keys + Retro piano I have latency. House mark 1 was no latency. I guess it can be app related, I’m still not sure about getting another midikeyboard. With the quickest apps, maybe I wouldent be frustrated, I need the audio quick man^^