Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeatMaker 3 and MPE (compatible AU plugins)

Hi, so far all my MPE compatible AU plugins don’t react to the MPE parameters. The glide doesn’t respond and the slide is barely effective. I use a Lightpad Block and it works fine in every other plugin host I tried. Am I missing something ?
Thank you for your help !

Comments

• As far as I know beatmaker does not support mpe.
    I use my roli block on zenbeats only, it has nice native support.

• Thank you for your answer. Effectively , the developer confirmed me that BM3 doesn’t support MPE. And it’s too bad, because all other AU hosts do : AUM, apeMatrix, Cubasis...

• @cyril777 said:
    Thank you for your answer. Effectively , the developer confirmed me that BM3 doesn’t support MPE. And it’s too bad, because all other AU hosts do : AUM, apeMatrix, Cubasis...

BeatMaker can’t record the MIDI but if you route your MPE controller correctly, I believe you can still get MPE performances whose audio you can record. MPE happens on multiple channels. So, you need to make sure you set the MIDI input settings in BeatMaker so that all MIDI channels from the controller are sent to your MPE-capable AU.

I don’t believe that BeatMaker actively filters out things from the MPE stream even if it doesn’t record it. At least that is what I sound in a cursory test I tried where I sent MPE from the KB-1 app to Volt being hosted in BeatMaker.

• @espiegel123 said:

@cyril777 said:
    Thank you for your answer. Effectively , the developer confirmed me that BM3 doesn’t support MPE. And it’s too bad, because all other AU hosts do : AUM, apeMatrix, Cubasis...

BeatMaker can’t record the MIDI but if you route your MPE controller correctly, I believe you can still get MPE performances whose audio you can record. MPE happens on multiple channels. So, you need to make sure you set the MIDI input settings in BeatMaker so that all MIDI channels from the controller are sent to your MPE-capable AU.

I don’t believe that BeatMaker actively filters out things from the MPE stream even if it doesn’t record it. At least that is what I sound in a cursory test I tried where I sent MPE from the KB-1 app to Volt being hosted in BeatMaker.

I did check out BM3 midi input settings, and of course I set it to multichannel. And I don’t mind if BM3 doesn’t record the MIDI, after all it seems quite normal. But what I find strange is that the midi CCs are not « transmitted » by BM3 : the glide (pitch bend), the slide (note-on velocity). And the slide is barely audible, (brightness). That’s why I thought this was only a setting issue...
    But the developer just confirmed me that BM3 was not able to deal with MPE. And that’s too bad !

• @cyril777 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cyril777 said:

I did check out BM3 midi input settings, and of course I set it to multichannel. And I don’t mind if BM3 doesn’t record the MIDI, after all it seems quite normal. But what I find strange is that the midi CCs are not « transmitted » by BM3 : the glide (pitch bend), the slide (note-on velocity). And the slide is barely audible, (brightness). That’s why I thought this was only a setting issue...
    But the developer just confirmed me that BM3 was not able to deal with MPE. And that’s too bad !

I think the developer may have misunderstood you. As I said, I have been able to have an MPE synth respond to MPE (glide and slide) being sent into BM3. Having it set to multichannel won’t work if you have different channels routed to different pads. I just c9mfirmed that it worked with GeoShred and Volt responding to KB-1 set up in mode.

Are you sure that you have the pad that has the AU set to receive all midi channels? BM3 has complicated MIDI settings. And some multichannel settings route different channels to different pads which would break MPE.

• @espiegel123 said:

@cyril777 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cyril777 said:

I think the developer may have misunderstood you. As I said, I have been able to have an MPE synth respond to MPE (glide and slide) being sent into BM3. Having it set to multichannel won’t work if you have different channels routed to different pads. I just c9mfirmed that it worked with GeoShred and Volt responding to KB-1 set up in mode.

Are you sure that you have the pad that has the AU set to receive all midi channels? BM3 has complicated MIDI settings. And some multichannel settings route different channels to different pads which would break MPE.

My bad. Apologies for the noise.

After some more experimentation, I realize that I was running mono presets in Volt and GeoShred--so they sounded. Having tried a poly setup on GeoShred, I see that you are right.

I think the issue is that BeatMaker's two MIDI modes do some channelizing. In one case, each channel is routed to a different pad (so the MPE plug-in doesn't get the the info for those notes) or in single channel mode rechannelizes the incoming midi.

Bummer.

• Hi, thank you for these informations and don’t apologize for helping !! :smiley:
    You were not completely wrong and your first answer encouraged me to persevere. With Noise at least, the MPE messages are correctly transmitted and they sound ok, at the exemption of the glide (pitch bend). And maybe I figure out why : when a sample is loaded, you can set the pitch bend range and by default it’s set to 4. But the common range for MPE is 48, that’s why for most of the synth plugin MPE compatible, you can set this range. But if BM3 keeps it to 4, it’s normal you can’t hear it. For the other CC, it varies from one plugin to another. So if it was possible to set the pitch bend range, using an MPE compatible plugin would sound much better !