Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which multiband compressor???

In late Summer, I started compiling my Black Friday wishlist. I added multiband compressor to the list, but when I plugged the phrase into the App Store search engine, I got this:

FabFilter Pro MB showed-up as well.

I would rather not spend $30 for the Fab, so which of the others is better?

Comments

• SquashIt it more of a distortion CompressorFX. It’s more for mucking things up. I have the 4pockets multiband and I like it- no visuals but useful. Bark filter is popular and straight forward. Grand finale is good for final mixes. There are a few others.

• I have Bark Filter. That one is pretty great!

• I'd say it's between the Mani/Blue Mangoo or the 4 Pockets one. I lean towards the Mani/Blue Mangoo one.. it's really clean and has the fewest artifacts out of all the ios compressors. (Theres a great shootout on YouTube). But you may want one with more color.

• Yah, was hoping for a Mani sale this weekend for another app as well. Hopefully coming on Cyber Monday!

• @BitterGums said:
    I'd say it's between the Mani/Blue Mangoo or the 4 Pockets one. I lean towards the Mani/Blue Mangoo one.. it's really clean and has the fewest artifacts out of all the ios compressors. (Theres a great shootout on YouTube). But you may want one with more color.

And Blue Mani provide great support 4Pockets not so much.

• edited November 2020

klevgrand is great too, but not transparent, more musical ... i use the ff MB ...

• The Blue Mangoo Multiband is my favorite in the list.

• Might not be the best, but WOOTT is the funnest one to use for myself.

• App "Multiband Compressor"

Developer: Mani Consulting Limited Company
    URL: https://apps.apple.com/app/multiband-compressor/id1528675416

Minimum OS Version: 12.0
    Universal: Yes
    Price: $7.99

DESCRIPTION:

KEY FEATURES
    1. Ultra-clean algorithm. Less than -140 dB harmonic distortion across all settings
    2. Clean and simple interface
    3. Side chain input with full band and band limited modes
    4. High-resolution spectrum analyser displays the input and output volume at each frequency

ULTRA LOW DISTORTION COMPRESSOR ALGORITHM
    This unique envelope follower design ensures harmonic distortion of less than -140 dB for the full range of compressor settings. There is no cleaner compressor on the app store.

SIDE CHAIN INPUT
    In host apps that support multi-input audio units you can use this app to achieve the pumping side chain effect typically heard in electronic dance music where the synth and other background instruments duck their volume in deference to the kick drum on every beat.

The side chain input of this plugin has two modes. In full-spectrum mode each frequency band is compressed according to the volume of the full spectrum of sidechain input. In single-band mode each band is compressed based on the side chain level in only that frequency band itself.

COMPRESSOR CONTROLS
    Each of up to four bands has eight compressor settings. They are input gain, output gain, attack time, release time, threshold, ratio, soft/hard knee, and wet mix.

RELEASE NOTES: Version 1.0.2

Shared between au3 hosts

• tjatja
    edited November 2020

• @espiegel123 said:

@BitterGums said:
    I'd say it's between the Mani/Blue Mangoo or the 4 Pockets one. I lean towards the Mani/Blue Mangoo one.. it's really clean and has the fewest artifacts out of all the ios compressors. (Theres a great shootout on YouTube). But you may want one with more color.

And Blue Mani provide great support 4Pockets not so much.

Yes!

• Well, after all the awesome discussion, I think I'll go with Mani. Also interested in their Attack Softner app.

Seems they rarely if ever have sales, but I'll wait after the first of the year, well, because I totally blew my app budget the past few days! 🤣

• Pressit Is the klevgrand multiband I believe.

• Resurrection of an old thread…..

Now that we have Toneboosters, Fab Filter, Bleass, and a few others in the market, I’m wondering what people are liking using the most out of the bunch. I’m tempted to try the new Bleass MBC, but I wonder if the TB one might be a better option? Any thoughts opinions would be helpful, cheers!

• edited April 7

I'm not saying this for authority, just for context: I'm a sound engineer of 30 years now, fully committed to in the box workflow. Toneboosters MBC is fabulous but a little cumbersome to dial in properly. I use MBC for more surgical use like final stage mixing or mastering. Bleass on the other hand, has now replaced Woott for me for massaging the tone of an instrument. It's quick, hits the tone hard and you can dial it up or down fast. Sounds cleaner.
    Likely you could either plugin for both those tasks, but the interfaces are so different they really make me think about them differently. YMMV.

• @Tentype said:
    I'm not saying this for authority, just for context: I'm a sound engineer of 30 years now, fully committed to in the box workflow. Toneboosters MBC is fabulous but a little cumbersome to dial in properly. I use MBC for more surgical use like final stage mixing or mastering. Bleass on the other hand, has now replaced Woott for me for massaging the tone of an instrument. It's quick, hits the tone hard and you can dial it up or down fast. Sounds clean.
    Likely you could either plugin for both those tasks, but the interfaces are so different they really make me think about them differently. YMMV.

Awesome response. That’s basically what I was hoping to hear, so that really helps. Thank you so much, cheers!

• @Tentype said:
    I'm not saying this for authority, just for context: I'm a sound engineer of 30 years now, fully committed to in the box workflow. Toneboosters MBC is fabulous but a little cumbersome to dial in properly. I use MBC for more surgical use like final stage mixing or mastering. Bleass on the other hand, has now replaced Woott for me for massaging the tone of an instrument. It's quick, hits the tone hard and you can dial it up or down fast. Sounds clean.

Thanks for sharing this. I couldn’t remember which thread this was as I was commenting in the Bleass MBC end but thinking of this post. The only think holding me back on getting the Bleass is that the Fabfilter ProMB seems to have everything the Bleass has and a little more and I already own that one.

• Toneboosters also makes a multiband compressor

https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/tb-mbc/id1634911966?l=da

• @Lorichs said:
    Toneboosters also makes a multiband compressor

https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/tb-mbc/id1634911966?l=da

Yeah, the TB MBC actually covers it all as well doesn’t it? We’re spoilt for choice.

• I have none of the fabfilter apps. Not so much because of the prize but because TB apps are unversal.
    But yes. I feel eell covered by TB.
    In this context I dare to call myself a no-fab guy 🤪

• @gusgranite said:

@Tentype said:

Thanks for sharing this. I couldn’t remember which thread this was as I was commenting in the Bleass MBC end but thinking of this post. The only think holding me back on getting the Bleass is that the Fabfilter ProMB seems to have everything the Bleass has and a little more and I already own that one.

Yeah Bleass is simpler in its approach to Multiband Compression, but there are more complete tools out there. Basically Toneboosters and Fabfilter have the best ones IMO but it's the Bleass interface that will make me use it, probably more often than the other ones realistically. I have a fast and heavy handed approach when I'm making an instrument so this plugin is right up my alley.

It'll depend on what kind of a producer you are if you'll use this or not. If you prefer an interface like TB or FF then probably don't bother.

• @Tentype said:

@gusgranite said:

@Tentype said:

Yeah Bleass is simpler in its approach to Multiband Compression, but there are more complete tools out there. Basically Toneboosters and Fabfilter have the best ones IMO but it's the Bleass interface that will make me use it, probably more often than the other ones realistically. I have a fast and heavy handed approach when I'm making an instrument so this plugin is right up my alley.

It'll depend on what kind of a producer you are if you'll use this or not. If you prefer an interface like TB or FF then probably don't bother.

I can confirm everything @Tentype said except Toneboosters MB because, for a simple reason, I don’t have it. Bleass MB is a colorful compressor for sound mangling or boosting desired ranges, but it’s definitely not made for clean work.

Here is a simple test with the A4 sine wave on the WOOTT, Bleass MB Compressor, and FF Pro-MB. Init patches were used in all three of them. For the fair test, I have added three bands to the ProMB.

• edited April 7

One thing I like about the BLEASS Multi Band Compressor is that the ratio knobs go from expansion(0.5:1) to compression (1:x).
    So just using one band it can be used as a noise-gate/downward expander and an expander / compressor at the same time.

For me it has replaced WoOTT for OTT duties...

• Bought, works under Drambo, but not under AUM - „bad signal” indicator and silence

• @szczyp Never had that:

You are sure that you are routing correctly?
    Also, maybe uninstall, reinstall and don't forget to first start as standalone ...

• edited April 11

@szczyp said:

Bought, works under Drambo, but not under AUM - „bad signal” indicator and silence

If you have Drambo, why not use it instead?

• @rs2000 said:

@szczyp said:

Bought, works under Drambo, but not under AUM - „bad signal” indicator and silence

Right, I use Drambo… but isn’t it strange that AUM see an problem? I bought BLEASS Multiband compressor and mentioned https://apps.apple.com/app/multiband-compressor/id1528675416 to compare, I like both, but because of bad signal indicator in AUM maybe I should refund, I will try more at home in AUM, and then decide. Good to know other people have no such error. Thanks for response!

• @szczyp said:

@rs2000 said:

@szczyp said:

Right, I use Drambo… but isn’t it strange that AUM see an problem? I bought BLEASS Multiband compressor and mentioned https://apps.apple.com/app/multiband-compressor/id1528675416 to compare, I like both, but because of bad signal indicator in AUM maybe I should refund, I will try more at home in AUM, and then decide. Good to know other people have no such error. Thanks for response!

Sorry, I meant using Drambo for multiband compression inside AUM 😉

• Tell the devs. Those Blue Mangoo apps seem prone to Bad Signal errors, I remember a few having that issue through the years > @szczyp said: