Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is WiFi Audio out possible from Audiobus3?

edited November 2020 in General App Discussion

Here's what I'm trying to achieve...

I have a Blue Yeti that I use to record podcasts/present radio from my iPad. That, with a couple of plugins sounds really nice, and I'm happy with it. However, I also do a streamed podcast recording with a couple of friends once a week. The platform that hosts the stream doesn't play nice with iPad, so I have to do it with my Mac. My elderly Mac, with a fan that runs damn near constantly if I'm doing anything more than just browsing the internet.

Which sounds like shit, even with a nice mic.

So is it possible to send MIDI audio from Audiobus to my Mac, which should see it as just another audio input? I can't find any way of doing so, not directly from Audiobus.

Comments

• Thanks, but I'm not sure that answers my particular scenario. I can't use the cable, because I have my mic plugged into the USB adapter I have for my iPad.

Is the answer essentially; no, Audiobus can't do what I'm trying to do? If not, is there an app that can? Because I've been looking around and not finding much info...

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@DarrenS said:

I have a Blue Yeti that I use to record podcasts/present radio from my iPad. That, with a couple of plugins sounds really nice, and I'm happy with it. However, I also do a streamed podcast recording with a couple of friends once a week. The platform that hosts the stream doesn't play nice with iPad, so I have to do it with my Mac. My elderly Mac, with a fan that runs damn near constantly if I'm doing anything more than just browsing the internet.

So is it possible to send MIDI audio from Audiobus to my Mac, which should see it as just another audio input? I can't find any way of doing so, not directly from Audiobus.

Does your iPad have a headphone jack? If so then I think I've read it's possible to wire that up as an audio input to the Mac. Other's would need to comment on how to do that though.

Wireless audio is probably not gonna work out.

(btw, I think you mean just audio, not MIDI audio, which isn't a thing.)

• Audiobus can’t send audio over wifi network, just midi.

But it can send audio over BT audio. I can output Audiobus to a BT speaker when my iPad is connected to it.

• Are you thinking of being in the next room with your mic, away from the noisy Mac?

• @DarrenS said:

I am confused. The thread asks if MIDI can be sent over wifi. The answer to that is yes.

If the answer is can audio be sent from Audiobus via wifi that is a different question. (You mention "MIDI Audio" -- midi and audio are different).

There is a way to send audio over the net: see Sonobus -- if you are using wifi there will be significant latency -- and there may be dropouts depending on your wifi environment.

• edited November 2020

Ah, sorry, I was being confused as to what’s what.

Thanks for your help anyway, folks.

@CracklePot said:
    Audiobus can’t send audio over wifi network, just midi.

But it can send audio over BT audio. I can output Audiobus to a BT speaker when my iPad is connected to it.

So I could - in theory - monitor the audio over headphones, while outputting over Bluetooth?

• edited November 2020

@DarrenS said:
    Ah, sorry, I was being confused as to what’s what.

That’s for your help anyway, folks.

@CracklePot said:
    Audiobus can’t send audio over wifi network, just midi.

So I could - in theory - monitor the audio over headphones, while outputting over Bluetooth?

I don’t know if that is possible.
    Usually for me, if I output to BT, I am limited to that.
    Headphone jack will take over the audio output when I plug in some headphones, and stops outputting to BT.
    When I unplug the headphones, the BT audio switches back on.

• @DarrenS I suggest that you edit the title to replace MIDI with Audio, to reduce confusion. As the OP, you can do this.

• @DarrenS Please consider replacing "MIDI" by "audio" in the thread title if audio is what you're looking for.

• edited November 2020

Audiobus 3 has a MultiRoute setting that allows you to take input from the USB adapter and feed output to the headphone socket (if you have one). Then it’s a stereo cable to the inputs on your Mac...

• edited November 2020

You could also try to filter that identical noise from the fan with something like an EQ or Brusfri.
    If that works you could stay with your setup like it is.

• Thanks for your help everyone. Sorry I was so confusing.

I’ve edited the thread title to avoid confusion in the future.

@MrBlaschke said:
    You could also try to filter that identical noise from the fan with something like an EQ or Brusfri.

This is precisely what I’ve ended up doing. My mic now runs through Brusfri and a compressor, then out of the headphone socket into my Mac. The only trouble is not being able to properly monitor the audio, but I’ve ordered a cheap USB audio interface which will give me a second 3.5mm jack.

All of this to get around the fact that the service my friend uses to host the stream of our podcast doesn’t properly support iPadOS...

• ios always uses the audio which was plugged in last. If you are recording something through an interface (for example) and then plug in headphones (ONLY headphones-out, no microphone there), you can use both, but a headset (WITH Microphone) plugged in will disconnect the recording-input of your interface... . It‘s possible to handle this in a variety of ways (until Apple will finally allow custom-choices here, like audio-midi-setup on a mac).

• @DarrenS said:
    Thanks for your help everyone. Sorry I was so confusing.

I’ve edited the thread title to avoid confusion in the future.

@MrBlaschke said:

This is precisely what I’ve ended up doing. My mic now runs through Brusfri and a compressor, then out of the headphone socket into my Mac. The only trouble is not being able to properly monitor the audio, but I’ve ordered a cheap USB audio interface which will give me a second 3.5mm jack.

All of this to get around the fact that the service my friend uses to host the stream of our podcast doesn’t properly support iPadOS...

Sonobus allows for audio over wifi. Be forewarned there will be latency and if the WiFi router is not great, you may have occasional glitches.