Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ios14.2 audio restrictions/notifications

reading reports about ios 14.2 and a new volume restriction. Having your headphone volume at maximum could result in a warning notification and apple automatically lowering the volume & restricting it somehow on your ipad...? And can't seem to clarify if you can turn this off/on from what little I've read. Anybody care to chime in on this who might know more or has experienced this?

This is a quote from a reddit thread :
If I’m in my car and I have my phone connected to a Bluetooth radio, which has a dedicated volume knob, I always keep the output volume on my phone at 100% and then adjust from the radio. I can’t do it anymore because this stupid notification pops up and lowers my volume for NO REASON.

((https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/jp7g9s/audio_notifications_cant_be_turned_off_in_europe/)

Comments

• ai taking control :#

• Write this to Apple Feedback page!

• edited November 2020

You apparently cannot turn this off unfortunately. I've extensively researched it over the past week, and the only fix seems to be jailbreaking your phone and then disabling the healthd process (which also disables all other Health App related functionality).

Thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42041/ios-randomly-turns-volume-down-to-protect-my-hearing-any-way-to-turn-this-bs-off#latest

(there may be other less shotgun-approachy options like editing some configuration file (.plist or so), but I haven't looked into that because I personally don't need any of the "health" functionality so I'm fine with disabling it altogether.)

• @SevenSystems said:
    You cannot turn this off unfortunately. I've extensively researched it over the past week, and the only fix is jailbreaking your phone and then disabling the healthd process (which also disables all other Health App related functionality).

so this is true? you will get a notification & device will automatically lower volume if it deems the output 'too high' ?

• @Halftone said:

@SevenSystems said:
    You cannot turn this off unfortunately. I've extensively researched it over the past week, and the only fix is jailbreaking your phone and then disabling the healthd process (which also disables all other Health App related functionality).

so this is true? you will get a notification & device will automatically lower volume if it deems the output 'too high' ?

As far as I can see, yeah. It isn't affected by the "Reduce Loud Sounds" option, which is something else.

• hopefully apple quickly realizes how silly this is... I just searched "Apple + volume" on twitter - quite a few tweets complaining about this.

• "Healthlunatics" always seem to have a way of convincing others what is good for them...
    ...look at all those obese nutritionist who tell us what to eat and when to eat it...

It's like "Do as I say, Not as I do" all over again...

I just want to see some of the Apple Campus 'fitness-idiots' streaming music from their phones during a exercise and the volume drops down 50% or so. That'll be something for them to remember...

• @Halftone @Samu in this case though, I think there's nothing Apple can do about it because it's government regulations that they have to implement in order to be able to sell their stuff. So, as always -- the GOVERNMENTS are your enemies, NOT companies (even though governments keep insisting that it's the opposite, of course...) (but we don't want to get political now do we :) )

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Halftone @Samu in this case though, I think there's nothing Apple can do about it because it's government regulations that they have to implement in order to be able to sell their stuff. So, as always -- the GOVERNMENTS are your enemies, NOT companies (even though governments keep insisting that it's the opposite, of course...) (but we don't want to get political now do we :) )

damn then maybe it's finally time to rise up and revolt against our governments! this is the final straw! viva la revolution!

• edited November 2020

I've also had this hit me the worst in the car, where I use one of those little FM transmitters that plug into the headphone jack in order to transmit the music to my 100 year old car radio. You HAVE to use maximum volume because its input is simply not very sensitive.

As mentioned in the other thread, it's funny because it is technically totally possible to distinguish between headphones and a "Line out" scenario by measuring the impedance. Heck, they could even just measure the actual power dissipated through the headphone jack, which would be essentially zero for Line Out, and then they'd also have a fairly accurate reading for actual headphones (right now, it's a totally inaccurate guesstimate).

So, even if the whole thing is shit, at least implement it CORRECTLY :) (correct shit = better than shit shit!)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Halftone @Samu in this case though, I think there's nothing Apple can do about it because it's government regulations that they have to implement in order to be able to sell their stuff. So, as always -- the GOVERNMENTS are your enemies, NOT companies (even though governments keep insisting that it's the opposite, of course...) (but we don't want to get political now do we :) )

That's why I'm happy my proper Audio-Interface doesn't allow software control over its volume :D
    I do have one external DAC (FIIO K1) that does allow iOS to control the volume and that thing is affected by the volume cap, grrrrr!

• @Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

That's why I'm happy my proper Audio-Interface doesn't allow software control over its volume :D
    I do have one external DAC (FIIO K1) that does allow iOS to control the volume and that thing is affected by the volume cap, grrrrr!

Is it? :D that's quite hilarious. So the whole implementation really seems to be Kindergarten level. No thought went into it at all.

• >

So, even if the whole thing is shit, at least implement it CORRECTLY :) (correct shit = better than shit shit!)

And the 'correct' way would be to add a switch and add a warning if it's disabled.
    Oh well as long as we have total nutters making the decisions for 'our own good' there's not much we can do...

• @Samu said:
    "Healthlunatics" always seem to have a way of convincing others what is good for them...
    ...look at all those obese nutritionist who tell us what to eat and when to eat it...

It's like "Do as I say, Not as I do" all over again...

I just want to see some of the Apple Campus 'fitness-idiots' streaming music from their phones during a exercise and the volume drops down 50% or so. That'll be something for them to remember...

I’ve never met a obese nutritionist to be honest, and I’ve met quite a few in my years of cancer trials.
    Most seem to be very attractive women. Up here in Canada anyway.

• Some of the earlier iDevices had DC-coupled headphone outputs, and there are apps out there that use that feature to generate control voltages for use with modular synths. Because the headphone output has a range of about +/- 1 Volt it typically gets driven to its limit and then put through a voltage multiplier to scale the result up to Eurorack levels.

This change has just destroyed any possibility of doing that because the app will no longer have complete control over the voltages that will be generated.

My own apps that do CV/Gate could be used in that way, but were really designed to drive an external DC-coupled USB interface. Annoying, none the less.

I really hope Apple don't try to extend this feature to external interfaces...

• edited November 2020

Let's hope they'll not add a section "Eye safety" and start randomly decreasing screen brightness too :D

• @SevenSystems said:
    Let's hope they'll not add a section "Eye safety" and start randomly decreasing screen brightness too :D

Oh, NOW you've done it. You've given them the idea. :(

• @SevenSystems said:
    Let's hope they'll not add a section "Eye safety" and start randomly decreasing screen brightness too...

There’s already a flakey and less than stellar working ‘auto brightness’ and ‘screen time’ to reduce staring at the screen with eye-tracking on the mdern phones with face-id 😎