Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: My new book, Be The Artist You Want To Be, on Kindle

edited November 2020 in Other

My new book, Be The Artist You Want To Be, has just been released on Kindle. Why announce this here? Well I thought it might be useful for some of you, because one of the main themes it deals with is how to find the time to make art when you have a busy life (and why you should!).

Like many of you, my life is insanely busy, I work freelance, and run a business, I have a family to support (a wife and two kids), not to mention the dog that needs walking every day. In among all this I have managed to run the Song Of The Month club every month since the start of 2015, writing more than 70 songs along the way, and releasing an album every year for the last three years. On top of that I’ve also been writing and drawing a comic book over the course of the last year, drawing for an hour or so in the evenings.

It’s a lot to fit in, but the upshot of doing this is that it’s very fulfilling to be able to (slowly) achieve my creative goals while still running my business and spending time with my family. I worked a few important things out along the way: mainly how to tap into my natural curiosity and intrinsic motivation in order to get things done, and also how to patiently use the passing of time to create ambitious things, things that I would not have bothered doing in the past (because I would have told myself I didn’t have the time to do them).

So if this sounds like it might be of interest, consider reading the free sample on Amazon in case it turns out to be helpful. The intro price for the book is only $2.99 so it’s not going to break the bank :)

Read the intro sample on Amazon

For those who prefer good old-fashioned paper books, the paperback will be released as soon as I’ve managed to finish the layout for it.

Finally, if anyone does buy it, please leave an honest review. As you will see if you click the link above, my only review so far is from someone complaining that they can't download the book to their Kindle, which sadly I can't do much about. Now I know how the devs feel when they get one-star reviews on the App Store 🤷‍♂️

The book is available worldwide BTW, not just on Amazon US.

Comments

• Good luck with the book, Richard. Very impressive resume.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Good luck with the book, Richard. Very impressive resume.

Thanks 🙏

• Will definitely be reading this! I struggle with this time balance as well

• @richardyot, congratulations! Just curious if you might also release as an iBooks epub format? I really dislike using Kindle.

• @sch said:
    @richardyot, congratulations! Just curious if you might also release as an iBooks epub format? I really dislike using Kindle.

I prefer iBooks as well but I’ll buy it either way.

• @sch said:
    @richardyot, congratulations! Just curious if you might also release as an iBooks epub format? I really dislike using Kindle.

Probably - but I'm currently enrolled with KDP Select on Amazon which means the book has to be Kindle-exclusive until February. Once that expires I will definitely look at other distributors, like Apple etc...

• @richardyot said:
    Probably - but I'm currently enrolled with KDP Select on Amazon which means the book has to be Kindle-exclusive until February. Once that expires I will definitely look at other distributors, like Apple etc...

Cool, thanks mate, and best of luck!

• Mucho felicitations guv’nor. Buzzing for you. Am gonna wait to purchase the physical version when you release it. Would you be so good as to sign it for me please?

• @Bluepunk said:
    Mucho felicitations guv’nor. Buzzing for you. Am gonna wait to purchase the physical version when you release it. Would you be so good as to sign it for me please?

Of course! I'll send it along with the usual shipment...

• edited November 2020

My condolences Richard. It looks like amazon suffers with the same review idiots we have in the appstore.

People who don’t understand the difference between a technical problem and a review

• Good to see you get this out there, Richard. Good luck with it.

• As a fellow cartoonist/writer/illustrator I know firsthand the joy of completing a project! Best wishes and keep yer smile up.

• Well done Richardyot. Looks interesting and you imho have the qualifications to mentor this. Bought for your amazing contribution to the forum aka sotm club. Hope it helps me finish more stuff

• edited November 2020

@tk32 said:
    My condolences Richard. It looks like amazon suffers with the same review idiots we have in the appstore.

People who don’t understand the difference between a technical problem and a review

Haha...Sometimes it's worse like "I was looking for a book about birds. He does not talk about birds. 1 star".

If I want to buy it for my Kobo, is it possible? Or a paperback version (Canada) will do it.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@tk32 said:

Haha...Sometimes it's worse like "I was looking for a book about birds. He does not talk about birds. 1 star".

If I want to buy it for my Kobo, is it possible? Or a paperback version (Canada) will do it.

The Paperback should be available soon-ish - Kobo will have to wait until next year, once the KDP Select period expires. I'll update the thread once the paperback is out.

• @tk32 said:

At least it wasn't a one-star rating! 😯

• @richardyot awesome! Looking forward to reading

• edited November 2020

@richardyot So you are one of those. Unlimited energy and laser focus. I envy you. Why is it that some people can squeeze so much out of a day and I feel like my day is done if I mow the yard. Do you relax at all, just chill out? Am I lazy, undisciplined, or a chronic procrastinator? I think maybe all three.

Does the Kindle app support purchase? I can download the sample version but no way found to buy it. >edit< Figured it out! iOS version, unlike android is just a reader.

• @richardyot good effort, good book, good getting it done and out the door. Bought it right away because I wanted it on the Kindle, but please do let us know when it's out post-tree as I'd like to get The Finn his own copy.

• Sounds like a book I need to read as well. Seems like there’s never enough hours in a day! I manage a full service restaurant, putting in about 60 hours a week, then I’m always on the phone with work related stuff when I’m NOT at work. Family of four, like you, and also a dog. Then, and only then, with what little free time is left, is when I get to enjoy some “me time”. Then I get to decide which one of my many hobbies will get my attention... which usually ends up music making.. then there’s sub categories; synth stuff, guitar, etc

I have given up trying to watch movies any more, I last about 10 minutes and then I’m out zzz 😴

So, how DO you do it??? @richardyot guess I’ll have to buy the book to find out eh?

• @Ailerom said:
    @richardyot So you are one of those. Unlimited energy and laser focus. I envy you. Why is it that some people can squeeze so much out of a day and I feel like my day is done if I mow the yard. Do you relax at all, just chill out? Am I lazy, undisciplined, or a chronic procrastinator? I think maybe all three.

That's the funny thing, I'm really not one of those, I don't have endless energy and focus. I'm a normal human, just as prone to laziness and distraction as anyone else. What I do is to use my natural curiosity and intrinsic motivation as the driver to do the things I care about. That way it doesn't feel like work, but more like play. I talk about this a lot in the book.

I think all artistic people are naturally curious and inquisitive - that's why we love to tinker with stuff after all. The trick is to use that natural curiosity to actually do stuff with, and finish things rather than just meddle.

As for chilling out, I do that at weekends, but in the week all of my chill-out time is spent either making music or drawing. But that's actually pretty relaxing (again I talk about this in the book as well).

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @richardyot good effort, good book, good getting it done and out the door. Bought it right away because I wanted it on the Kindle, but please do let us know when it's out post-tree as I'd like to get The Finn his own copy.

Thanks! I will definitely send you and Finn a paper copy once available. You actually were partly responsible for starting the SOTMC so you are also partly responsible for this :)

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Sounds like a book I need to read as well. Seems like there’s never enough hours in a day! I manage a full service restaurant, putting in about 60 hours a week, then I’m always on the phone with work related stuff when I’m NOT at work. Family of four, like you, and also a dog. Then, and only then, with what little free time is left, is when I get to enjoy some “me time”. Then I get to decide which one of my many hobbies will get my attention... which usually ends up music making.. then there’s sub categories; synth stuff, guitar, etc

I know this all too well :) There's also stuff in my life that gets neglected, but that's a good thing right? Too many interesting ideas to explore, not enough time in the day. 60 hours a week is pretty brutal, but with a solid routine I think you would still be able to find some time for art, but it might take some ruthlessness to do it (ie you might have to say no to some other things).

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Sounds like a book I need to read as well. Seems like there’s never enough hours in a day! I manage a full service restaurant, putting in about 60 hours a week, then I’m always on the phone with work related stuff when I’m NOT at work. Family of four, like you, and also a dog. Then, and only then, with what little free time is left, is when I get to enjoy some “me time”. Then I get to decide which one of my many hobbies will get my attention... which usually ends up music making.. then there’s sub categories; synth stuff, guitar, etc

I have given up trying to watch movies any more, I last about 10 minutes and then I’m out zzz 😴

So, how DO you do it??? @richardyot guess I’ll have to buy the book to find out eh?

Wow, that's some schedule. But then the old phrase used to be: If you want something done, give it to the busiest person in the office.... :)

• I saw that Kindle Unlimited has a free for 2 months trial so I started with that and got the book. I hope you get a "taste" for the book request. I'd be curious to see how Amazon structures that option for the artist. If it's also a "donation" by you as a result then I'll pay the $3 and insure you get something for your efforts to improve my productivity habits.

• @McD said:
    I saw that Kindle Unlimited has a free for 2 months trial so I started with that and got the book. I hope you get a "taste" for the book request. I'd be curious to see how Amazon structures that option for the artist. If it's also a "donation" by you as a result then I'll pay the $3 and insure you get something for your efforts to improve my productivity habits.

Authors do get a share from Kindle Unlimited (even with the free trial) so that's all cool. The $3 doesn't really matter, the best thing you can do to help me is to leave an honest review once you've finished the book - that's worth a lot more than $2.99 to me 👍

• McDMcD
    edited November 2020

@richardyot said:
    Authors do get a share from Kindle Unlimited (even with the free trial) so that's all cool. The $3 doesn't really matter, the best thing you can do to help me is to leave an honest review once you've finished the book - that's worth a lot more than $2.99 to me 👍

Is there a chapter covers remembering to "read books" everyday? I need to start there. Do positive reviews help create a "virtuous cycle" that stimulates a big swing in sales? It seems like some product vendors game the system.

This will be the 3rd book I have purchased/read because of this forum.

• @McD said:

@richardyot said:

Is there a chapter covers remembering to "read books" everyday? I need to start there. Do positive reviews help create a "virtuous cycle" that stimulates a big swing in sales? It seems like some product vendors game the system.

This will be the 3rd book I have purchased/read because of this forum.

Yes positive reviews juice the algorithm and generate more sales. :)

Sadly there is no chapter with tips on how to read more books, you're on your own there I'm afraid 😛

• @richardyot said:

@Ailerom said:

That's the funny thing, I'm really not one of those, I don't have endless energy and focus. I'm a normal human, just as prone to laziness and distraction as anyone else. What I do is to use my natural curiosity and intrinsic motivation as the driver to do the things I care about. That way it doesn't feel like work, but more like play. I talk about this a lot in the book.

I think all artistic people are naturally curious and inquisitive - that's why we love to tinker with stuff after all. The trick is to use that natural curiosity to actually do stuff with, and finish things rather than just meddle.

As for chilling out, I do that at weekends, but in the week all of my chill-out time is spent either making music or drawing. But that's actually pretty relaxing (again I talk about this in the book as well).

Thanks for that. Probably no need to read the book now. Although, just kidding really, I already bought it.