Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

geoshred not working properly in audiobus

I want to use Geoshred to play melody for my songs live, controlling thumbjam instruments with it. To do this I obviously need to be able to click on the menu ellipse top right of geoshred to switch to that. I also want to be able to change the scale in geoshred, which aslo i get to by the menu ellipse top right of geoshred. However, when I put geoshred into audiobus as an input, I cannot click that menu ellipse. Nothing on that right side works. Once I take it out of audiobus and use it standalone, the menu ellipse works fine. How do i get this to work in audiobus?

Comments

• @dabluezpreacher , works ok for me as per this video. Are you experiencing something different?... Regards

• What screen size is your device?
    It is working on my standard 9.7” device.

• iPad Pro 11

• Sorry read Audiobus as AUM but have just tried in audiobus and it still works

• thanks for the response. Yeah it was audiobus not AUM, and it still does not work for me

• update: I tried it on my ipad mini and it works, but on my ipad pro 11 inch it does not. Weird

• Works for me too. IOS version? GeoShred version?

• geoshred 5, ios 14

• I wouldnt care as much about this issue if Ipad 11 had a better way to switch apps. I have my geoshred open and my thumbjam open, not connected to audiobus, but to switch between them, ipad11 has the stupid swipe up feature. This means that when I have geoshred up, swiping up will trigger the pads of whatever is at bottom of screen and play those unwanted notes in teh process of switching to thumbjam. At least with audiobus, I can easily switch between those two and not trigger unwanted notes playing

• with the ipad mini i can just double tap the home button and switch apps, no unwanted notes playing

• McDMcD
    edited November 2020

On the bottom of the help page I get version 5.80.1
    IOS updated last night to IOS 14.2

Are these apps that work in a split screen arrangement? Side-by-side? Never tried that.

UPDATE: I got Thumjam to open on top of Geoshred. The Thumjam window is top to bottom and about 20% of the screen. It shows a vertical keyboard display.

PROCESS:
    Start GeoShred and Thumjam
    With Geoshred active on the display slide you finger up from the bottom edge slowly. The IOS icon tray will slide up and show the hidden Thumbjam's icon since it's active.
    Touchand Hold the Thumjam icon and slowly drag it to the right or left edge of the display.
    Release the icon and you'll see the smaller Thumjam display over GeoShred.

You can re-position thumjam after it's visible by dragging it from the top edge.

NOTE: You can also context switch between the 2 or more apps using that icon tray gesture.

• I just updated to the new ios and it still persists

• The only advice I have left is:

Delete both apps
    re-install from the App Store

if you get a choice of saving data - take it
    if the problem persists - repeat and don't save the local data

That's all I got except "contact the vendors" and they'll tell you it works for them.

Oh wait!!! Get a new iPad. Yours is inhabited by demons. If you see any AirDrop activity
    when the new one is close to the older one then you'll have to consider extreme measures
    to get the demon out of the house.

• Are you loading as an AU or IAA in Audiobus?
    Have you tried both ways?

• When you have GeoShred (IAA) open it places the ellipsis in the upper right corner.
    Can you try turning your iPad 180% (upside down) and see if the ellipsis works in the opposite corner. Also try one of those iPad/iPhone pens to see if your finger can a conduction flaw in that spot.

• @CracklePot said:
    Are you loading as an AU or IAA in Audiobus?

Just for the record... both AUv3 and IAA expose the ellipsis menu and they both open for me.
    GeoShred AUv3 exposes the AudioBus app switcher menu along the top of the display so it's useful but Thumbjam is only IAA so getting back requires a pass through the AB3 interface.

You ARE using AudioBus 3 right? Mine is version 3.4.22 (164).

• @McD said:

@CracklePot said:

Just for the record... both AUv3 and IAA expose the ellipsis menu and they both open for me.
    GeoShred AUv3 exposes the AudioBus app switcher menu along the top of the display so it's useful but Thumbjam is only IAA so getting back requires a pass through the AB3 interface.

I was asking because it works in standalone, just not in AB, as stated in the OP.
    I am thinking it maybe has a conflict with the AB AU window style, or possibly there is something weird being caused by the AB toolbar overlaying the right edge of the screen if using IAA.

If it is a problem only with AU in AB, maybe using IAA with the AB toolbar will alleviate the app-switching pain.

• @CracklePot said:

@McD said:

@CracklePot said:

I was asking because it works in standalone, just not in AB, as stated in the OP.
    I am thinking it maybe has a conflict with the AB AU window style, or possibly there is something weird being caused by the AB toolbar overlaying the right edge of the screen if using IAA.

If it is a problem only with AU in AB, maybe using IAA with the AB toolbar will alleviate the app-switching pain.

Yep, this was a problem introduced in iOS 13; I made the fix available at the time iOS 13 came out, but it looks like Geoshred hasn't been updated since then. I'll nag the development team about it.

• @Michael said:
    Yep, this was a problem introduced in iOS 13; I made the fix available at the time iOS 13 came out, but it looks like Geoshred hasn't been updated since then. I'll nag the development team about it.

GeoShred has had 14 updates this year. Mostly to add the new SWAM instruments that gave it a big boost in traffic here.

Either updating AudioBus3, IOS or GeoShred should address the issue the OP is experiencing. It's hard to duplicate with current releases.

• @McD said:

@Michael said:

GeoShred has had 14 updates this year. Mostly to add the new SWAM instruments that gave it a big boost in traffic here.

Either updating AudioBus3, IOS or GeoShred should address the issue the OP is experiencing. It's hard to duplicate with current releases.

I guess they didn't just update the AB SDK at the same time...

• @Michael said:

@McD said:

@Michael said:

I guess they didn't just update the AB SDK at the same time...

Nick just got back to me, they've just updated the SDK now, so fix should be out soon. How's that for responsiveness!

• Amazing, as always!

• Thanks for the update

• The midi out to hardware synths is working plug and play like most other apps, sick! I just started it up again and I love it when auto detect or whatever just works its more inspiring. I just use one preset now and turn off the internal sound so I can use the same tuning. Its all good im not trying to emulate guitar although they re great.